/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Shivering edition.

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for the bright and terrible angel of Veloth in his pre-chimerical form, demonic VEHK, gaunt and pale and beautiful, skin stretched painfully thin on bird's bones, feathered serpents encircling his arms.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/content/sotha-sils-last-words
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for the glorious golden Aureal legions of Mania

Second for the Psijic Order

Third for Elsweyr & Valenwood is Cyrod clay

Fourth for female dragons

5th for glorious House Telvanni's qt Dunmeri grills.

6th for Telvannis not having seeing anything wrong in killing you if it puts them into a better position.

7th for there's nothing wrong with that. Get gud or get dead, Fetcher.

Why'd you specify Telvanni?

No wonder Dunmer are universally disliked.

In a culture of assholes, Telvanni are exceptional ones.

Because murdering your superiors is seen as a perfectly acceptable (and encouraged) means of advancement. As far as I know not many other groups think alike.

>Implying that isn't why we love them so much.
According to these threads, the majority of us have Dunmer around our top 3 races.

that's how we do. Step up, nigga.

All Elder Scrolls races as a community are assholes, this is not new. Dunmer however are one of the worst assholes around ever since the Dwemer perished.

>Implying that isn't why we love them so much
Damn right.

We don't like you either fetcher.

I thought it was the qt bugs and dinopuppers

Post YFW Dunmer have infested this thread

That helps, too. So do the Sloots and mushrooms, but the main reason is how lovably pragmatic they are, as well as fleshed out and interesting.

user, /tgesg/ has always been /morrowind/.

If you snow-apes don't like it, too bad.

>Implying he's a Nord
>Implying most races don't despise Dunmer

>implying Dunmer care about most races
>implying they don't despise them right back

>Implying the N'wahs deserve distinction
>Implying the lesser races opinions matter.
Keep trying, outlander.

Why do Dunmer always think of Nords first?
Are they obsessed with those glistening icey muscles?

>Implying I implied that

>Dunmer
>Greater than anyone except maybe Bosmer and Orsimer

I pity you. Life must be hard as a plebeian.
The joke lies more in how Dunmer and Nords are ancient enemies.
Also the backlash between Morrowind vs. Skyrim, which is really just Old players vs. New players.

>The joke lies more in how Dunmer and Nords are ancient enemies.
Like Dunmer and Argonians, or Dunmer and Imperials, or Dunmer and other Dunmer.. Damn Dunmer, they ruined Resdayn!

You Dunmer sure are a contentious people.

You just made an enemy for life!

Someone needs to do a decent edit of that Willie scene. The meme potential is too strong to be wasted. I'm way too shit at it myself.

So, when the argonians invaded Morrowind, did they actually gain anything?

I was under the impression that the actual marsh had spread northwards into Dres lands and that those were kept, although just as many lore sources claim that it was 'merely' raids rather than actual habitation.

I really hope the Argonians didn't come out on top from this war. Black Marsh is a terrible place and should be diked out.

Or just colonized. I doubt Dunmer care too much about it, they seem like hardy creatures. Besides, nothing like some fleshfly love bites on a strong House Dres man.

>did they actually gain anything?
Land

They got far enough north to sack Mournhold, but were repelled by the Redoran army. IIRC they still hold on to a small part of southern Morrowind.

>IIRC they still hold on to a small part of southern Morrowind.

Fucking swampniggers ree

If the entire TES universe takes place inside a dream, are there other dreams going on inside the same head? Also what kind of creature is dreaming, like an ordinary mortal or some kind of godlike superbeing? Are they inside a dream too?

God is dreaming.

We don't know of other dreams if they do happen to exist. We also don't know what the dreamer looks like. Being the God, they may not even have a shape or form. Most of the questions about the Godhead are not possible to answer, because it is impossible to know.

Hey /tgesg/ i have a question.

If Sithis doesn't really have a conscious mind then who does the nightmother listens to? And in that case where do all of the brotherhoods magic-wagic come from? Like Shadow-mere and spectral assassins.

I've got a theory, there is probably a Deadic Prince mantling or pretending to be Sithis and the brotherhood unwittingly serves that Prince. If that is the case then my money would be on Mephala. After all his realm deals with conspiracies upon conspiracies, there is also the fact that he is one of most mysterious Prince.

Wasn't there some theory that the Night Mother and Vivec were connected somehow?

Mephala is probably the Night Mother, and Vivec is the anticipation of Mephala.

Mephala is the anticipation of Vivec.

There are supposedly more than 16 daedric princes, right?

yeah, that's what I meant, sorry

You can make versions with almost all races.

Nords have fought Falmer, Dwemer, Chimer/Dunmer, Bretons, Reachmen, Redguards, Cyrods and themselves.

Bretons have fought Ayleids, Redguards, Reachmen, Orcs, Nords and themselves.

and so on

I think about the only race that doesn't have known internal strife are the Saxhleel and that's cause either 1) they're all tree drones anyway unless the Hist war amongst themselves their drones won't either or 2) Black Marsh is just so insular no one knows what/if tribes are fighting other tribes.

Kothringi and Argonians maybe? Nagas and Argonians?

can someone explain the appeal of the setting? The really deep aspects of the lore like the dwarves, chim, and the hollow earth etc are cool but everything else is really fucked up, especially politically

do you retcon everything?

>everything else is really fucked up, especially politically
I like that.

>the province of Oblivion

>the hollow earth
Wait, what?

>daedra like Akatosh and Sheogorath
>everything shrouded in mystery

This is a new edition, right?

The Legends storyline is pretty bad. It turns out the aldmeri dominion warlord who took the imperial city, Nafaarin, is actually a daedra worshipper who wants to sacrifice the city. why this high elf even wants to worships daedra or how the dominion somehow isn't aware of his plan or is okay with it is beyond me

I made a really shitty one back in February but Im an MS paint dickhead who was bored
We need a legitimate artist

If anyone still thinks ESO is unforgiveable shite I urge you to find "Subtropical Cyrodiil: A Speculation" and read it. No "transcription errors" or "fanciful portrayals" here.

Same fucking shit.

Not making southern Cyrodiil a jungle is pretty dumb though.

>really fucked up
But you just said it.

It's like Azathoth from the Cthulhu mythos.

Could Alteration be used for body...enhancements?

Yes

I dunno, feels pretty Elder Scrolly to me.

No. Read "Breathing Water".

>people are racist towards minorities

There are Kothringi in ESO, even with all its problems I do like playing in an age far in the past from what is seen in the main sequence games.

No, but Restoration can.

tamriel is literally held together by cogs, the gear city that sotha sil runs is literally the bones of the world.

I don't enjoy it because I feel such past events should be kept vague - not only because no one is going to be happy with how things are portrayed, but because it gives whoever's in charge of making the past events free reign to have only tenuous connections to future events.

And let's face it, even if Bethesda managed to make a great setting, they're not worldbuilders. They'd rather handwave how things work than try to get into the nitty gritty details to make politics and factions feel realistic.

Yeah. I thought the stealth archery everywhere was funny but the ancient land shrouded in mystery not so much.

>the modern abstraction of being 'racist' anachronistically exists in a fantasy setting

>peasants give thomas paine style rhetoric against their own king

Why is this in so many settings, Veeky Forums?

According to Skyrim dialogue dick-shrinking spells are a thing.

Why is white korra less sexy now?

I bet Fyr and Sil would get along well

Caius, I know you're in here. Quit your 'Tiber Septim was just a product of his time' shitposting. Tiber was a great man and no one else could've done what he did.

I mean canonically they're buddies, so yeah.

It's an okay text. Provides some interesting info.
One of the main problems I have with ESO's lore is the fact that almost all of it makes no attempt to actually connect itself to the established setting.
In older texts, the Interregnum is pretty well described as a period of ignorance, extreme discord, and animosity, with one source even calling it a period of "anti-intellectualism." Now we have Interregnum scholars casually discussing "Tower Lore," a portion of the lore once restricted to secret communions amongst the late Septim-Era Elder Council agents, and even they treated it dubiously.
There are definitely worse offenders in this group, but that's not really a plus in any manner.
Older texts like Ruins of Kemel-Ze (a text very clearly meant to be written in the middle/later third era) and Ancestors and the Dunmer (written during the early Third Era) leave simple but important impressions that display Tamrielic society as having progressed and evolved very far from its past. Their has been a lot of change, as is to be expected from an event a single sovereign nation manages to conquer the known world, but even that change is drawn in a way that shows that it was gradual and flowing. This creates a believable and living setting.
ESO takes place dead in the middle of the Interregnum, before the Empire as we know it was even built, back in the darkest age of Tamriel, yet you will not find a single shred of information in ESO that has tried to take advantage of this. You will not find any books of theirs that try to paint a believable world, that try to have background or a placed circumstance. Hell, ESO has even taken books that were clearly written from the modern worldview of the main series and just slightly tweaks them to "fit" their "setting."

They just wave around things like "Tower Lore" and hope for applause from the lore community (which they unfortunately tend to receive).

the fucks this from

Well, I actually think it makes more sense in a fantasy setting, because the races are far more obviously different, aside from the various flavors of elf or human.

Not to mention that in the example that user is getting worked up about, the dunmer considered themselves the best fucking culture and civilization, even though the were past their zenith. And then the Nords manage to get away more or less unscathed from the war that tore apart other provinces, maintained their own cultural values for thousands of years which are growing more popular with the Imperials losing sway, and even stubbornly held onto their deities instead of losing them like the Dunmer.

Really? How do you know? Hasn't Sotha Sil locked himself up in his clockwork city for centuries like a NEET loser?

Could Fyr have secretly tapped into the heart of Lorkhan with Sotha's help? Even for a powerful as fuck mage 4000 years is a lot

It still contradicts lore that was established in Skyrim, literally the most popular and recent game before ESO. It's not even hidden either. It's being preached by a man in the first major city, 24/7. It's much better than transcription errors, sure, but they still based a central part of the game on an area they couldn't do justice, which is a big problem with Oblivion as well.

Plus having every third questgiver be a ghost really rubs me the wrong way.

Fyr is 4000 years old and has been a powerful magus for almost that long plus he's been an on and off again Psjjic, Sotha has long held correspondence with Artaeum and been a consultant for them numerous times. The've met.

Plus I know I've read stuff about them knowing each other personally and enjoying each others' company but I can't recall it right now as the beer has started to hit. Forgive me, please.

>t. Hasphat

imperial-library.info/content/sotha-sils-last-words
We still don't know the author but it being written (iirc) a day before Tribunal's release has led many to believe it is official.
Its also just a good text in general so most people tend to accept it.

I'm a little skeptical of that - I tend to assume it's just some sort of small plane of Oblivion.

It's C0DA stuff
I'm okay with the idea, mostly because I really like this picture, but there's nothing that really forces you to accept it.

This brings an interesting question to my mind, if your friend who you've known since you were children, became a god (small g) would you address them any differently? Somehow I don't think I would. I'm a lawyer and he's a cop, there's already enough of a gap that I think we'd both relish to fiction.

this post was meant for

Molag Bal taught Vivec about CHIM, correct? Maybe he understands, and is using it to rape the lore? Metaphysical demon dickings.

Good. It's stupid.

Some cultures are very socially hierarchical, it would be natural for people from that kind of culture to change how they address someone who became a god.

The more I try to understand that image, the more my brain hurts.

Ur face is stoopid

What can /tgesg/ tell me about the background of the Pelinal and Umaril conflict?

Are those multiple daedra behind him, or just one big eldritch asshole?

From what I've gathered, Umuril was a half-deadric Champion of the deadric worshipping Ayealids. Pelinal was a [MK-lore artificial knight thought-construct] sent back from a possible future generated by the Dragonbreak that occurred during the 1008 year reign of the Allesian Empire to go Humanity Fuckyeah Terminator on the elves and help man overthrow their elven oppressors.

Gay cyborg from the future catfights with a daedra-pruning mer supremicist.