Random (but useful) Links:
futurewarstories.blogspot.ca/
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
military-sf.com/
fantasynamegenerators.com/
donjon.bin.sh/
eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources

Does your setting have fey races, a spirit world or something similar?

Double no. I dislike practically everything with the fey label on some level.

Only small gods and spirits that can be worshipped to gain magic powers.

The spirit world is another layer of reality somewhere between the physical and the astral. Unlike the astral, those of the spirit world can directly affect the physical, making spirits either a boon or blight for mortal-kind. Spirits themselves range from the restless dead to malicious demons to powerful fey. Elves and shit are also around, but they aren't technically fey. They believe their kind to be descended from fey though, given flesh by one of the gods of old before they retreated into the astral.

No, but I have the Judeo-Christian mythos is actually an interdimensional alien war.

How would a gold-based currency translate into current age USD?
0.1 ounce Gold coin = $250?

Depends on how common gold is.

Short stories are a good worldbuilding tool, right? For establishing themes and moods and all that jazz? Pastebinning short stories to this thread should be an acceptable practise, right?

Yes, just do not expect many reponses.

How much time do you spend writing the history of kingdoms? Their lineage and times of importance for them and similar.

Yes, no.

Slightly more common than this world, but gets "used up" as a resource.

>How much time do you spend writing the history of kingdoms?
The closer to the PCs a kingdom is, the more history I write.

The more the PCs hang around and/or like a kingdom, the more history I write.

The more integral to major plots/adventure hooks it would be, the more history I write.

Only for kingdoms I intend to make relevant to whatever the PCs are doing. I don't like focusing on kingdom politics unless it'll make a good story

If you post the stories to these threads and I see them interesting I surely will read them. You may want to post them to storytime thread also, you will get better support writing wise from there.

Thank you, that's very useful to know.

I will ask again to get bigger audience.

What is your stance on animal-and werepeople? What is too much, what is the limit?

Do your setting have dogpeople, turtlemen or duckfolk? Are they sentient or sapient?

If you have, how major or minor race are they in your world?

My current game is a furry erp

I like animal people. My fantasy setting has crocodiles and birdmen as one of the main powers, with hyena gnolls and goatmen as minor races.

i mean...i dunno lol. warhammer 40k actually has canon cat people. but they are restricted to there home planet.

40k also used to have beastmen that went into combat with explosive collars.

Beastmen were one of the setting's precursor races, with Halflings/Dwarves/Humans/Orcs being derived from them. Some of them are still around, but they're behind in both magic and tech.

>canon cat people
No, they don't.

Felinids. Look them up.

I'm okay with a couple animal-people races. In general they strike me as unimaginative, and too many being major races irks me, unless that's the point like pic related. I'm also more open to them when the race is more than "x animal, but shaped like a human!"

Werebeasts I'm conflicted on. I like them as a concept but the sheer variety they have sometimes makes them seem silly. They also seem strange/redundant in a setting with full-time anthropomorphic races. Though now that I think about it, you could probably get away with making werebeasts the result of crossbreeding with the beastfolk races to maker the setting more cohesive, though you venture into furry territory with that.

I've read the relevant text. Nowhere does it say they are catgirls, that's 100% the creation of Veeky Forums's insatiable lust for smut.

i know that. If anything, their scientific name implied that they're more like the khajit than catgirls.

I'm glad the species question is the topic right now because I'm currently trying to work with things.

I have a bit of a space fantasy setting I've been working over, and right now I'm wondering if I could fold one or two things into it. It IS possible, but I run into some problems, one of the most important being that it might be a bit too much on the races side. Especially the whole "too much furshit" angle. By default, I have humanity mingling with two kinds of bird man, fish people, and hyperactive diminutive pegasi.

One of the things I want to settle already breaks the mold, with two heavily distinct types of sapients. One half of the population that retreated underground, and another that took to the surface. For the stories I have already, I must have a couple more. The idea is folding in another, individual race, and modified humans. A series of unfortunate events causes a group of modified human colonists and a yet undiscovered species to clash. Their ships crash and over time they become civilizations in their own right. Before you ask, no, I cannot just make it regular humans.

This however raises some extreme concerns. The magic system I have cannot support mass-modification on the scale this requires, as modifying a living body is currently extremely risky just for magic assisted surgical procedures, much less a full-body modification. If I lightened it up to take it from "no fucking way" to "technically plausible" it would trickle down to the rest of magic-assisted medicine to completely shake up how modern medicine works.

Also, another thing is a connected bunch of genesis projects from a dying race, but that's a multitude of planets breaking into multiple races per planet, plus I'm an unoriginal cunt and it's almost all just generic animal people. The idea there is just a collection of mostly still primitive worlds, where the established space nations must now figure out what to do with them now that they've stumbled across this project.

Did you also read the stance on letting mutants live? If you are not mostly human looking they kill you on site unless your mutations are extremely useful. Given that they are planet locked and not let out, the fact that planetary governors want them as slaves, and they have not been wiped out implies that they are relatively human like with no real useful features.

>Before you ask, no, I cannot just make it regular humans
Heh, I feel like we talked before, but I can't quite remember.

Can the modified humans be from genetically engineered stock? That would sidestep the surgery issue, they would just naturally grow into an altered form.

Genesis project:
Do you really need a multitude?
And why is there urgency for the space nations to act? If the worlds are primitive, they could just let them sit there.

Got goat people and rhino/boar people so far.

By the way does anyone have an archive link to the previous thread? brought up my idea of goat people and wanted to see the feedback.

I Can't stop doodling in Gimp.

Someone. Please send help.

yes they do.

I fail to see the problem. (Mountain style is very pleasant.)
Aside from that you are making another not-Europe.

>The setting isn't framed by water on every side

I like that map a lot. But personally I just can't get my head around with Gimp, fucking layers and shit. I really need to torrent photoshop which I am bit more familiar in using.

But yeah that is not!europe, but a good one. What is the scale of that land?

Just make fucking humans.

It's 2 am were i live and I was just going to sit down and use the computer for five minutes to pay my bills. That was six hours ago.

Europe-sized, maybe? I don't know really

Just make fucking Dwarves.

Scale was for me the biggest problem. I will solve it by making a world map first. It will be vague and it only tells major locations.
Region map comes after that and expands the "main area" further.

I personally don't like straight-up animal-people. Animal-inspired people are ok, but just making [mole]man isn't as interesting.

We probably have, I've been on and off bitching about the exact same problems honestly.

>Grown from genetically engineered stock
I might be able to see that, but it's still beyond the setting's tech level without the use of magic. Even then you're just turning your potential children into globs of wizard cancer over 99% of the time. The most famous miscast in

>Do you really need a multitude
It's more like there's already a multitude and I felt like folding it in, but I could see spreading it out and cherry picking the actually interesting ones.

>And why is there urgency for the space nations to act? If the worlds are primitive, they could just let them sit there.
Ethics and all that. They could let them develop, but not all space groups feel like letting things sit, and patrolling the nearby space will only be delaying the inevitable. Someone WILL get through, and it's better the major nations, representing the various species, than some shitty space dictator trying to cause shit.

They can't in good conscience enact an agreement similar to the ban on throwing an entire moon into a planet, because they have done it before when humanity was allowed to enter the magic age instead of potentially finding it themselves via asteroid mining.

I'm working on ideas for a kind of sci-fi Frostgrave game (progressive warband miniatures game). What would be some good ideas for sci-fantasy style hirelings? Obviously technomancer and space pirate is given.

The other thing is to handle aliens. Should I make the race of the hirelings flexible, or keep aliens class locked, kind of like how old school DnD had elves and dwarves as classes.

So another step back, how about a long lasting old fashioned eugenics program?

That's hard to get extreme changes unless it's some excessive amount of time that is in now way going to be funded for as long as it actually needs.

Especially to serve the whims of a bunch of cunts who got caught up in collective space madness and decided to FTL far beyond the current frontier. Speed juice is fucking expensive mate.

Then I guess you'll have to fiddle with magic, for good or ill...

Or what if they are just interfaced with some machine parts in a method unique to them? Don't know what you need exactly.

Mostly I'm concerned about having A: Too many aliens, and B: Too many furry aliens

Also just wondering if I should fiddle with magic, make the "one in a hundred thousand" odds happen, or just scrap it.

Unless it's a classic race like werewolves, satyrs or merfolk, absolutely not.

My stance would be have as many as you can make interesting and keep a reasonable variance between races. And to hell with pussyfooting around the furry issue. Just do your thing, and then people share your taste or they don't.

I've rolled them together into three races to keep them from being too specific or having a million animal people races.

The first are lizardmen, 7 and a half foot tall average. Strong and powerful with some honorabuu culture stuff. They imprint on the first living thing they see, so a lot of nobles hatch eggs with their children so the lizardmen will always love and protect the noble child his or her whole life- the lizards sometimes call humans egg thieves because of this.

The second are called Barrow folk. They are small animal people of woodland critters. Rabbits, weasels, badgers, foxes, rats, skunks, squirrels. These beings are somewhat fae, they are said to be the spirits of lost children. But they can still have huge families in their Barrow homes that they rarely leave.

Finally, the third are beastmen. Strong, same size category as lizards but considered more chaotic and not as integrated into civilization. Many exist in travelling warbands that raid and enslave other races. Extremely fertile and almost impossible to wipe out because of it- a lone beastman can steal a couple of farm animals and within a few years he will have made an entire tribe with them.

Rate my races Veeky Forums

I'll keep going until something starts seeming samey-then. I'm looking for a "The galactic community is only going to get bigger" feel. There are even space ruins, but that's more failed space mormon colonies that wanted isolation for a few hundred years. Aside from dying genesis project ruins, none have been attributed to an unknown species...yet.

Better than most, but still not terribly interesting. 6/10 needs more substance

>Extremely fertile and almost impossible to wipe out because of it- a lone beastman can steal a couple of farm animals and within a few years he will have made an entire tribe with them.
2/10 would not play

What's a high-end fancy food in your setting?

What's a food for commoners?

What are some crops grown in your setting?

What are some animals kept as livestock?

What kinds of animals are kept as pets?

What's the biggest political shake-up in the last five years?

What's something foreign that's seen within the culture (like sushi or yoga)?

How many people typically live in a single household?

What kind of music do people enjoy?

What's a fashion trend that's currently in vogue or which has been recently?

What are some common sayings, truisms, or slang terms?

What is an old wives' tale in your setting?

What's a popular rumor about a monarch or other leader?

How might people spend their leisure time?

My setting has a spirit world, where Faith, Ingenuity, and Primality meet. It is where the spirits of the dead go at the end of their voyage, once they have discovered their true self. In rare places, the spirit world connects with the physical.

Eh, it's uncreative, but at least he's ripping off good source material.

I have major and minor races. Humans are not the most powerful race in my setting but they are certainly tough enough to compete for the title.

Anything you can imagine you can play is my rule. This doesnt mean you can play stupid shit but im fine if someone wants to play as a demon, lizardman, alien, or whatever else. It just has to be bound by the same rules and power that everyone else is.

>What's a high-end fancy food in your setting?
>What's a food for commoners?
>What are some crops grown in your setting?
>What are some animals kept as livestock?
>What kinds of animals are kept as pets?
>How many people typically live in a single household?
>What kind of music do people enjoy?
Is it bad if your answer to most of these questions is essentially identical to 16th century Europe?

Nah, mine are the same except it's 13th century Europe.

How could I improve the substance? I was on my phone when typing and Veeky Forums has a size limit anyway.

What? Everyone says to make nonhumans alien to make them feel less like humans with horns and fur, so their entire ecology is different.

I'm surprised anyone knows the source I'm ripping off from for the beastmen.

If you don't have an interesting answer to a particular question, just skip it and answer the ones for which you do.

It's not bad from a purely functional standpoint, if you're just trying to make a setting in which a campaign can occur. It's fine for that.

Though at the risk read: guarantee coming off as a snob, have you really built a world at that point? Like, these aren't things for which I expect you to have an answer ready. It's more to help challenge you to think up new facets of your setting. If you're just gonna roll over and say "just the same as the time period and location on which 90% of fantasy settings are built", does that make your universe any more vibrant or unique?

Unless you're doing an alternate history. That's a whole different animal.

>I'm surprised anyone knows the source
Motherfucker, where do you think you are? Alternately, where do you think those beastmen ate from, because it's possible that you're ripping off a rip-off.

>What? Everyone says to make nonhumans alien to make them feel less like humans with horns and fur, so their entire ecology is different.
as long as you go full broo and don't ry to make them pc races, or anything other than monsters

How bad is it to just take all of the demons from the Ars Goetia and put them in a non-Earth setting? They would be tampered with to some extent.

I highly doubt I could come up with a huge amount of unique demons, particularly because their only presence would be in Ouija-like devices and voices heard in rituals, they have no power in the grand scheme compared to Earthly beings and they certainly wouldn't be in-your-face, most people wouldn't have any reason to believe in them.

>What's something foreign that's seen within the culture (like sushi or yoga)?
I don't understand this question

>How could I improve the substance? I was on my phone when typing and Veeky Forums has a size limit anyway.

How does lizardmen society function assuming no human interference? How does imprinting play into their social structure? What are the details of this honor based culture that make it stand out?

Are the fae elements of barrowfolk true? Do they have other supernatural qualities? How does their isolationist tendencies play into interactions with other races? With their own? Do they have many subcultures developed from their tendency to keep to their own close kin or do they just keep to their own race in general and have a single homogeneous culture?

How does beastmen society treat it's own? Is their biology dependent on interspecies breeding? What other physiological quirks do they have that set them apart?

He means like how those things have been adapted to contemporary American culture. He's asking about cultural influences other than the primary ancestor of modern cultures.

Lampreys are quite popular.
Wheat is considered to be blessed by the Sun.
As above. Also potatoes, barley, yam, squash, kale. Not rice and beans or tomato, because those are common in my real-life country and therefore not exotic.
Cattle, hens, llamas, horses, modified beings, and terrestrial isopods big enough to ride.
Dogs, mostly. Cats. Ferrets and weasels are trendy. Keeping kobolds as pets is popular in some circles but controversial.
>What's the biggest political shake-up in the last five years?
Five years? Fuck all. Maybe I'll have to come up with something, because right now the time scale is more spread out than that.
I'm worldbuilding here, not nationbuilding. Lots of cultures have lent stuff. Humans have a bunch of elven mounts, for example.
The whole family, starting from the eldest grandparents. That's in human lands. Dwarves don't have households, but all live together. The Faestir have quite private housing. Elves are quite variable.
Lewd music, same as real life.
>What's a fashion trend that's currently in vogue or which has been recently?
Loadsa white fur.

Well I'm in the early stages of world building right now but at the moment my only animal people are goat men.

>Long lived
>Tribal
>Worship a pantheon of metals, stones, animals, and plants
>carve special achievements into their horns
>Rather peaceful but tribe infighting can get bad and herd wars can flare up between bucks but most settle it peacefully via elders
>take pride in working with the materials of their gods.
>View it as holy acts to farm, wrought steel and stone, and to take care of other animals.

That's all I got for them so far but I would love feedback.

I was a fully ripping off the ones from Goblin Punch along with Warhammer beastman which is in turn ripped pff from Gloranthia Broos. Plus adding in my own personal twists of course.

Even Broos are not shown as irredemable- my beastmen are not either. They are sort of playable but they are one of the weird races, like trolls and hobgoblins who are not utterly monsterous but don't live too close to humans usually.

Good questions to think if to expand on the concept, thanks.

>What is your stance on animal-and werepeople? What is too much, what is the limit?
Werefolk are boring. Outright animal people should only be a thing if you're playing a bre'er rabbit game. Folktale stuff is fun, mind, but it has its time and place. Animalistic people are cool though.

>Do your setting have dogpeople, turtlemen or duckfolk? Are they sentient or sapient?
None of those specifics, and the difference between sentience and sapience isn't germane. I have gnolls, I have puppy-dog kobolds, I have lizard folk and I have a race that was made from jumping mice.
>If you have, how major or minor race are they in your world?
Gnolls are a major power player. Kobolds are a minor nuisance at best. Lizard folk are exotic foreigner status just about anywhere they go, they're neither numerous nor influential.

I have no objection to magic people turning into animals, voluntarily or not. But I think talking bipedal animals are stupid approach to design.

They are the natives of the planet.

Humans and friends are aliens.

>an actual species a la dwarves humans or elves that's just anthropomorphic x

Very hard to do correctly
Usually shit.
Only done well with non mammals usually, as then rather than anthropomorphic animals they more just feel like another species that came about from a different taxonomic class.

>monstrous abominations formed by the influence of evil gods or alien magic.

Works. Broo/warhammer beastmen type stuff can be done really well. A good way to get your "orcs". Also leaves a hell of a lot of room for variation.

Werebeasts can be okay if they're handled creatively. AS a concept I like them but they are rather tired, do something or another to make them unique to your world.

So I've been thinking of the basic timeline/age of myth style stuff and the cosmology of my game setting.

Basically, my core idea is right now is after THE GODWARS or some other edgy shit like that, the first of the races in the world were the Gnomes and the Giants.

The idea was is the Giants would appreciate the great majesty of the world; its oceans, its hills, its valleys and mighty rivers. Then, the gnomes would appreciate the small things; the tiny patter of rain, the hidden nooks and crannies, the places between the roots of a great old tree.

But then because of THE GODWARS the giants were cast into the ocean to hide from the angry and jealous gods, and from them on they became the Formorii, twisted fish-giant people. The gnomes, being natural at hiding, were never found out and as death began to stop watching them it explains their extremely agelessness.

Is this a good explanation/backstory for big fish people playable race and elves/dwarves/gnomes wrapped up into one gnome race playable race?

Cursed fruit that you HAVE to finish. Nobles like to take a bite and resist taking another for a few seconds while trying to maintain a poker face, thinking it reinforces how noble they look.

Also used for interrogation and torture as people thrash in their chains to get the fruit.

Are we meant to stick to one culture? I'll stick to one culture
Preserved bear meat delivered from another side of the continent. It's hard to come by because forest people don't trade this much, they are few, disorganized and hey, bears
Oysters or similar molluscs are grown on aquatic farms in large numbers and easily available to anyone
Regular stuff, like wheat and barley
Sheep and horses, legacy of nomadic part of the population. Cow, pig or poultry never fully caught up
Large hairy dogs
Outside the wall, rural population is uneasy. They used to be nomadic people with whom city-dwellers made agreement. They'd be noble-esque military elite to merchant city population. Now merchants are rich and influential ones and rurals think their ancestors got shitty deal
Within the walls, poorest of the richest want to expand city assembly (composed of biggest real estate owners) to increase their influence. They are called Red Party because every politian wears colour-coded sashes to show faction membership their are red
One family. Extended if needed.
An overshirt that is very long on one side and normal length on another. It's an outgrowth of toga ancient empire they originated from used. Well, less fashion and more formal wear
>What's a popular rumor about a monarch or
other leader?
That he has affairs with wives of Red Party members.
>How might people spend their leisure time?
There's strong dramatic tradition with big amphitheatres as well as holding athletic contests. Popular gambling is a game poker-esque called "merchant's greed" played with dice.

In the south, the fruit grown in the royal conservatory is considered the highest of the high. Among southern trolls meat grown in royal castles is considered highest of the high.

Dwarven workers in lean times will often make bread out of Wild cave grain and barely edible fugus with pulverized stone in stead of flour. Dwarven constitution manages it.

Most trolls use the massive primeval trees they like to build settlements under to cultivate various fruit vines and fungi. Giants grow an incredibly hardy tuber called Sjnarot, Survives in the snow quite easily. In the eastern kingdoms humans grow a grain called Fish's Hair that only seems to grow properly when planted in buried fish, but is terribly bountiful. This has led to the phrase "furred fish" to refer to small, inedible, or otherwise useless fish that are only good for fertilizer.

Beastmen keep other Beastmen. The valley Trolls keep massive snails. One human kingdom has an unhealthy fixation with pork. One troll tribe has an exceptional fixation with slaughtering fish, and farm them for just that reason. They tend to make banners out of huge collections of rotting fish. It's because of their bitter hatred of the human kingdom who's heraldry should be obvious.

Dwarves like to keep Cave spiders, Blind salamanders, and Great Earthworms. There is one Dwarf prince who's noted for owning a subterranean aquarium. Trolls tend to be fond of birds. Humans keep cats and dogs as one would expect, but in the south a type of domesticated fish is kept by almost all homes that can afford one, a little loach like creature that reacts violently to the presence of undead in a good 5 mile radius.

In the last 5 years a group of secretive mages has become more and more influential in politics in almost all nations of man dwarf and giant. They must know something others don't as kings tend to listen to them. That and the King of an eastern kingdom going utterly insane and burning down several of his own holdings.

Southerners have taken a great liking to northern poetry, must to the distaste of the older generation.

Humans, a single family. With dwarves it's difficult to tell what a household is. With Giants, always one excepting infants whom stay with their mother for a few years. With Trolls and beastmen, about as many as will fit.

Southerners enjoy stringed instruments and female vocalists. Songs are largely religious. The further north you go the more male the vocals, the more wind and percussion instruments pop up, and the subject matter becomes warrior sagas. Dwarves all learn how to sing. Many dwarf fortresses have drum halls. Giants hum. Trolls yell very angrily and sometimes make wind instruments from animal horns and snail shells in the more isolated clans. Beasts have no sense of rhythm to speak of.

Wearing emerald has become quite a fax pas in the dwarven hold of Urizan. It's seen as cheap, at least ever since that vein was struck.

"Daring the barrows" Doing something foolish "You can't strike a crown" a condemnation of laziness among dwarves.

Low class Dwarves say you should always carve the rune "Threld" into every drinking vessle. Supposedly it makes things taste better. Actual rune masters find this preposterous as threld holds no arcane properties whatsoever. Despite this is seems to work.

The king of Grenmur is said to prefer giantesses.

Skeletons are sometimes seen sitting around smashing small stones together and inspecting them as if trying to get a specific shape. No one knows why.

These are fun little exercises to do.

If it gets used as a resource it wouldn't make good currency,whatever is being used as currency has no real practical application for a reason.

I always dislike copper-silver-gold exchange rates in games- so how about making coins out of porcelain?

I mean having high quality, extremely difficult to reproduce porcelain coins. In game terms it can even give players incentive to not travel around with huge amounts of money, since the money is probably fragile.

Porcelain lacks a lot of the qualities that make precious metels so convenient as currency, they can't be easily reshaped,the means of production are almost certainly in the hands of the state and so unless you're world is politically advanced enough to have a very powerful nation state thing going it's not going to work too well because it's essentially fiat currency.

According to a quick google procelien coinage as actually a thing but only as gambling tokens and very small change, so I suppose it's not entirely impossible.

Why not just invent a fantasy precious metal if you dislike the copper-sliver-gold dynamic? Or only use one? Perhaps gold is abundant and worthless and only silver sees use as currency.

Sounds like a fun fairytell esque setting.
I've always liked mono (plyaer) race but not human settings.

Well the idea was is that the Porcelain currency is backed by the primary temple/religion of the setting. As in it is legal tender for all transactions in the divine realms is the same currency that commoners use. Naturally different groups and races will want to use their own currency, but the Porcelain stuff is pretty standardized due to religious reasons and it allows for more to be created easy in case of massive deflation or destroyed easily in case of huge inflation.

That's defiantly believable but I think you're sort of locked into the porcelain coinage being fairly low value if there is no fantasy element to it.

Because you can't really move around huge volumes of it it would either have to be extremely high value per coin which would make it likely both out of the scope of the players and highly vulnerable to counterfeiting due to it's fiat nature, very low value per coin which would make it largely a civilian usage type thing but then it becomes useless for large transactions for merchants and nations which sort of defeats the whole point of having a standardized multinationaly valued currency.

That said I think if you add some sort of magic element to it that makes counterfeiting largely not an issue it could work pretty well provided the players are likely to come into considerable sums of money.

These kinds of questions are great as worldbuilding exercises. I will delve into this from point of view of Mallard Folk of Red Marsh. Mallard Folk represent Glorantha ducks in looks, but I try to steer away from them somewhat.

Duck meat. Mallard Folk herds domesticated ducks as food for special occasions and trade goods. Of course foodstuffs imported from abroad is always wanted by nobility.

>What's a food for commoners? What are some crops grown in your setting?
Oats and Rye are the main crops and food derived from them. Easy to grow and both Mallard Folk and farm ducks can eat oats. They also grow some marsh grasses and reeds for leaner times.

Because Mallard Folk are pretty small, it is rare for them to have cattle. So pigs, chickens and of course ducks are kept. Mallard Folk really doesn't care that they are herding their "retarded" cousins and eating them. Their neighbours do find that slightly disturbing.

Cats are liked for their mouse and rat hunting skills. Cats also are somewhat frightened from different creatures that move in the woods that they serve as alarms. When cat behaves erratically something is awry.

After previous High Chief Rikhard died, and his second son was elected to be the next High Chief the other five sons didn't really like it. In long civil war that engulfed whole Red Marsh and Mallard population beyond. Second son won after killing his big brother in single combat during the clash of their armies. High Chief Roland now has long task to weld Red Marsh together again. Elective Gavelkind is a bitch.

For fuck sake Veeky Forums dropped my setting namefag name.

Mallard Folk is against common belief quite well traveled. Especially young sons of nobility travel abroad in search of glory and treasure to boost their probability to inherit. Of course if travelers come from faraway they are met with strange looks and disdain. Basic farmer of course hasn't seen much, it is too big effort to wander around as you could be farming at home.

Typical household includes drake, hen and 4-15 ducklings. Hen can lay 1-6 eggs, but more eggs means bigger chance for hen to die during the process. In one year ducklings have entered the fledgling age and in age of three they are juvenile. Juvenile Mallards participate in running the household and are considered adults in age of 10. Adult Mallards then can choose what they want from their lifes. Usually adult Mallards stay at the household until they find a wife and start their own farm.

Throatsinging

Due to High Chief Rolands noticiable red stripe on his head, colour red has been the thing for past few years. All self respecting nobles and ladies want to wear it.

Certain duchies have isolated communities of country-people who seriously believe that the dead and sick are "taken" to the otherworld by the "good people", but other than that no
I think a couple are ok, in general they are unimaginative but they're not total shit by default in any sense. I use barbaric black walking dogs for orc equivalents, and they're only a minor race anyway, along with a small tribe of tropical frog people, a colony of fish folk under the sea, and some gnoll tribes.

QUESTION for your worldbuilding: Does your setting have any holidays? The nature of which, religious, seasonal, other? Details, etc

>What are some common sayings, truisms, or slang terms?
"Look before you jump" saying coming from the fact that Red Marsh has some lakes and ponds that are habitated by large pikes and other swamp creatures. So you have to look and see if it is safe. Fits also to many other situations. Plan before doing anything basically.

>What is an old wives' tale in your setting?
If you springle the eggs with pike resin, it makes the ducklings strong and fertile. Doesn't really do anything else than makes everything to stick to eggs.

>What's a popular rumor about a monarch or other leader?
That High Chief Roland is bastard. Other brothers don't have the red stripe on head. Elders do remember that one ancestor had the stripe.

>How might people spend their leisure time?
Nobility has their own feasts and religious meetings and parties to attend. Cityfolk appreciates the gladiators fighting and training, shows replaying great victories are the best thing. Common folk has their own fairs and times to celebrate. Usually thought after work day is over, people gather around in their homes to listen to old tales of glory or just making some shingles to be burned for light.

Are they? They seem like excessive detail for someone already finished building an extensive setting. Like how many times will typical household size or fancy food come up in a game?

>Like how many times will typical household size or fancy food come up in a game?
Every time party comes to someone's place for a dinner.

I want it to be a bit low value, yeah.

To be fair, real life coinage is also pretty useless for large transactions and nations- bring along treasure, or your army, or those wonderful services, or a massive amount of slaves, or find the time to fill and entire galleon full of the coins and then cry yourself to sleep when it sink and all the mermaids become rich.

Works for me.

Anyway, I'm probably shooting for a good 2-3 dollars of real life value. So you can buy a good meal for 2 coins, rest at an inn for a handful, a good horse will cost you 200. House in the village? Probably 8000 or so, that's when those trade goods and treasures will come in instead.

What part of "world building" don't you understand.

This isn't the DnD themepark building thread.

well the nice thing about precious metals is that they are both coinage and treasure.

But yea, I can certainly see all this stuff working.

>Party eating civilly in someone's house
>murderhobos being allowed into a person's house at all

>every game is murder hobos.
I want dnd fags making forgotten realms the different proper nounsening to leave.

You can't stop it user. No matter how much depth you put into your setting, PCs just want to kill and loot things. It's fun.

I like to kill and loot interesting enemies in defense of my interesting people who live in an interesting world more than I like killing generic fantasy orc #67q

All this is just flavour to make the setting seem more lively. If I went and said that my setting has elfs, it wouldn't describe them much. But by explaining what they eat you can delve into their culture and habits.

Also it is fun.

Clarifying bit on the Mallards. I am not sure if I add more different wild duck species into the world or should I keep Mallard Folk as regional, but with traders and small enclaves abroad.
Basic idea behind them is to add neutral smaller than human race that brings flavour into the world. I could have easily replaced them with yet another variant of humans, but it seemed for me bit meh.

What he is saying that there sometimes isn't really such need for excessive detail prepared.

Sometimes questions here are fiddly details.Not saying presenting them is bad, food for thought, flavour for setting, but they are not vital to the world. The world should get used at some point, and ending world-brewing might not be the ideal situation.

Ars Goetia is great source of inspiration. Go use it if you wish.