> weeb player invites friend
> guy excitedly tells me how he wants to play, quote
> 'a character inspired by Japanese media'
> clams up when it comes to specifics
> images of 'I will fight to protect her smile' flash though my head
> dude finally presents his character
> it's fucking pic related
Why can't more people do this?

Is this from 7 samurai? What was the characters name?

Kikuchiyo, the broest man in the whole movie and played by Toshiro Mifune, who may just be a samurai displaced into modern times.

>Why can't more people do this?
Because not enough people have seen kick-ass Kurosawa movies

I have no idea. Feudal Japan is an awesome setting for gritty, low-fantasy adventures, yet the second it gets mentioned everyone either starts shouting "weeb!" or wants to play fucking cat girls or something.

It would have been so boss if he had been Obi Wan Kenobi, like Lucas wanted

They told you "Adventuring is an 'arrowing' experinece." But no, you didn't listen, did you!

> You either hate everything jap or play lesbian cat-girl head pating adventures
Actually very true

Edo japan seems like the perfect period for player that want mystery, noir, gangster type game but don't want to stick to sword and sorcery systems.

Brilliant fucking filmmaker.

And Toshi is truly the best of men.

Best duel ever.

The japanese are essentially blood-balloons wrapped in kimonos

Khorne approves.

I cry every time.

As a character he mostly works because of the specific scenario. Without the attempts to emulate a class tradition he's unfamiliar with, and without acting as the cultural interpreter between classes, he's mostly just a goof.

For more information see: Lady Snowblood

It really is depressing. I love samurai and samurai history but I never introduce them as playable elements in my games or even ask to play one because the internet's ruined Japan for eternity.

I love that Kurosawa had archers shoot real arrows at Mifune - to really get that true look of terror.
Man, Kurosawa was a dick, but Throne of Blood was excellent.

>You either hate everything jap or play lesbian cat-girl head pating adventures
well I can only speak for myself when I say that the big reason I hated everything Japan was BECAUSE I hung out with the anime-obsessed webs in high school and all I could associate japan with for a long time was "anime land" so I just rejected it all.

I have started trying to poke about their history and culture and finding it much more interesting than I thought.

And actually I would say that the Samurai & Gokenin prior to 1588 were actually kinda cool.

and the fact that japanese 'war horses' were, in reality ponies and that many Samurai would paint their mounts in bright colors to 'accentuate their Majesty' is a little hilarious

Why do you draw the line at 1588? Not a fan of Hideyoshi?

Personally, I find the Imjin Wars in Korea to be pretty interesting, as well as the last spurts of the Sengoku period (Sekigahara, Osaka Castle).

Then you have the issues happening with them opening up to the west. Jap history is really interesting.

Holy crap
I love you guys!

Kurosawa was and still is a genius

The 1850's opening? Or the 1524 First Contact, or the late 1500's early 1600's where they started to kick the foreigners out?

But yes, it's quite interesting. Even the 200 years of the Edo period has enough little bumps here and there to keep me interested.

>Not a fan of Hideyoshi?
well, to me his edict was the death-nell of the samurai warrior, I can understand why he issued the edict but it did have the side-effect of making samurai uninteresting because after this they were no longer relevant and a lot of what I find disinteresting and even dismissive is the result of the 17th century "samurai" who by that time were little more than file clerks that had inhereted the title and, in a collective identity crisis concocted a lot of what we associate with samurai today, which when you stop to consider it, a lot of it is over-thought over-romanticized dribble coupled with sterile fighting-styles that were clearly never intended for use in an actual battlefield, Kendo is a great example, if you tried to use the techniques of kendo on an actual battlefield, you'd get yourself killed, because it was only intended to be used against a single opponent who was also fighting in the Kendo-style.

Even the Knights of Europe with all their codes of chivalry are not so over-romanticized.

This is a good reason. I definitely agree that it's the beginning of the end of the "Samurai," and yeah a lot of what was written during the Edo period was incredibly romanticized. (Hagakure, the whole 47 Ronin incident).

Though when talking about the image of the Samurai, we can't forget the 1890's and how the leaders of the time again re-romanticized it all to create a kind of national identity to work people up to expand the empire and improve the image of Japan in foreign eyes. (See Nitobe's Bushido)

>MajestyIntensifies

So let's say I wanted to incorporate aspects of feudal Japan into one of my setting's kingdoms.

What's an easy way to do this that clearly shows the inspirations, without being annoyingly ham-fisted?

If it helps any, the kingdom in question is a rendition of Gustav-era Sweden populated primarily by half-elves.

>want to play L5R
>group is smitten by the system at first sight but still refuses to play in a weaboo setting

Hand me the pencil senpai, I've got some sudoku to commit

Maybe have a few Diplomats from a Japan-like land, and have some of the member of "Not-Gustavus"s court imitating the exotic outlanders? certain isn't unusual for it to happen. given that Exotic bits and bobs is an excellent why to show off the whole "wealth and worldyness" thing.

otherwise, Mercenaries are always a safe bet as well.

Ah, I wasn't meaning the Not!Swedes see the Not!Japanese and get all inspired to emulate aspects of their culture.

I mean the Not!Swedes already have aspects of Japan hard-coded into their culture, government, ethics, etc.

For example, I'm thinking the kingdom is divided into semi-autonomous clans that squabble for power that would see them elevated to the right-hand of the king.

>Sweeden
>a country of mix-races mutts
topkek

If only he didn't need to draw his blade...

The race-mixing began when the Arctic Elves immigrated to the region seeking refuge, and gradually intermingled with the local population.

Ironically, it's the immigration that introduced fair skin, platinum-blonde hair and blue eyes to the population.

>Even the Knights of Europe with all their codes of chivalry are not so over-romanticized.

They were, it's just that the over-romanticism of knights happened a long time ago. Don Quixote is a parody of that over-romanticization.

Well OP the majority of DMs on tg openly state they shut down any Japanese inspired characters at first glance.

>majority
I'd be interested to see your source.

L5R is a weird game to me, because it has so many behavioral codes and so on. I dunno, my idea of a Feudal Japan game is basically Lone Wolf & Cub.

>demanding a source for an anonymous opinion on an anonymous web board that's seldom, if ever demographically studied

top kek, bro

It would have been so boss if he had been Spongebob, like Stephen Hillenburg wanted

Sure bro, let me just pull up my bar graphs and pie charts

Ikoma, I know this feel.
Weep for me.

You drew so close to getting the point. One more step and you'd be there.

Does anyone seriously think L5R 4e has a good *system*?

Why is that man stacking dog treats on Momiji Inubashiri's nose? Why is Momiji putting up with this, she's a proud Wolf Tengu!

-as you ride brightly colored ponies into battle.
Brightly.
Colored.
Ponies.

If you are still not seeing the humor in this I can get out my "Clue-Bat"

I got a guy in my group who knows a shitload about Miyomoto Musashi and barely anything about Japan itself.

He actually manages to make, if not fairly interesting characters than serviceable ones.Actually manages to spin a lack of actual connection to the story beyond choosing to be in it rather well.

>Does anyone seriously think L5R 4e has a good *system*?
It's an amazing system if the only other games you've ever played are D&D&Derivatives.

> Watches 7 Samurai
> Kikuchiyo is fucking great but that's mostly because of Mifune's acting
> Heihachi is a total bro
> Gorobei is pretty cool
> Kyūzō is my favorite and a total bad ass
> Don't really care about the rest of the samurais
Later
> Heihachi is killed. Get sad.
> Gorobei dies off screen. Okay..
> Kikuchiyo and Kyūzō gets killed 5 minutes before the movie end by some retarded bandit
> The three most boring samurai survives and all my favorites are dead.

Fuck this movie.

ahh, well that... not so able to help with. your gonna have a very difficult time of it, I'd wager. very different cultures, the Swedish Empire from Gustavus, all the way to the end (in the Great Northern War) was build around a heavily centralized government, with some fun mixing of Religion and State later on to give that lovely Zealous loyalty to the Crown that only "Divine Mandate" narratives of governance can supply.

any point in Japanese history where the Samurai are a major part of... much less so, the Bushi where a pretty fractious lot, in a rather uniquely Japanese way.

on an unrelated note, anyone interested in the fact that there is a documentable case of a Black Man (as in a African) that served in Oda Nobunaga's court? (if there is I'll see if I can pull the info on him again)

what movie is this? i'm not familiar with kurosawa but i'd like to get into these movies.

That one is Ran. It's King Lear set in feudal Japan.

baller, thanks

It's not as good as:
Which is Throne of Blood, which is Macbeth in Japan.

But then again, I'm of the opinion that Kurosawa kind of lost it when he started using color film.
Madadayo is pretty great though, even if it's not a samurai film.

>The three most boring samurai survives and all my favorites are dead.

That's the point, user. Adventure is dead. The samurai still lost. The only winners were the peasants.

>he wasn't draw to tears after Heihachi died and kikuchiyo grabs the flag
I would have given 1,000 lives to live that moment

I want to base a campaign arc on Yojimbo now

>take ye olde japan
>replace "samurai" with "knight", "Ninja" with "Rogue", "Wizard" with "Different flavor Wizard", etc.
>Shinto shrines with churches dedicated to the gods and local spirits for a mix of Priests and Druids
>Give everything a European Fantasy paintjob
Bam instant fantasy setting. The Feudal Japan setup lends itself perfectly to fantasy RPGs with its many divided states warring and mythical heores and monsters being mentioned in tales and such, and making everything european flavored makes it good for those who hate weebs while making it distinct from typical fantasy stuff.

Its even got a perfect setup for "you're in a tavern at level 1" out of the box; A local Noble/Duke (Lord) is looking to hire skilled Knights/Warriors (Ronin) and as a test you and a bunch of other prospects have taken the bounty to kill Goblins/Undead/other low level enemies or to grab some macguffin which may or may not be plot relevant in the future.

Yasuke was the african samurai's name

>FUCK YOU BUCKET YOU PIECE OF SHIT

>they both get killed by the chief using a gun
>boring

I mean, at least it was their leader

No knees hit, so he should be okay.

You could try playing a not-samurai; something mechanically identical to one and with according personality, but looking like it came from a different region.

I always get tired of orcs as "noble savages" or as just dumb antagonist races, so I made mine samurai based. My players seem to like it, considering the orcs are all about that hardcore bushido shit, not no kitsune fox shit.

I thought it'd be cool to convert WFB Orcs into Oni. And make river trolls oversized kappas.

doesn't kambei even explicitly say something along those lines at the end?

>The Feudal Japan setup lends itself perfectly to fantasy RPGs many divided states warring and mythical heores and monsters being mentioned in tales and such
Are you implying that feudal Europe did not have many divided warring states and mythical heroes and monsters mentioned in legends?

you're on the wrong board to be posting this kind of talk

>Kendo is a great example, if you tried to use the techniques of kendo on an actual battlefield, you'd get yourself killed, because it was only intended to be used against a single opponent who was also fighting in the Kendo-style.
There's a lot missing from Kendo after the Americans forced the Japanese to sportify all their martial arts because they were worried about some kind of Boxer rebellion during the occupation.

>says 'a character inspired by japanese media'
>cos 'samurai' was too wordy
>totally not a furfag pedophile gaiz
>why can't more shit that never happened

Best topic on Veeky Forums, OP.

Hideyoshi was pretty faggy. Fucking monkey man.

Akechi Mitsuhide was literally the worst thing to happen to Japanese history. Oda sama.... ;_;

Is it really that odd to play as Samurai in a Japan inspired fantasy setting? I've got one going in a Japaneseish Archipelago that's threatened by a demon infested labyrinth to the underworld. One of the major problems being that the Shogun's centuries long enforced peace has reduced most Samurai to bureacratic featherweights and stagnated the advancement of warfare (craftsmenship, logistical supplies, tactics etc) so we have to murerhobo our way to victory over the invading demon army one general at a time.

Aaaand here is my last samurai picture.

>"X civilization is great for this kind of story."
>"ARE YOU SAYING Y CIVILIZATION ISN'T?! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Go home Westaboo.

nice

I mean the guy he's replying to said to take Japan and give it a European paintjob to make a generic fantasy setting, so "why not just use Europe" is a perfectly valid point to raise.

That's who The Man With No Name and Gennosuke were based on, right?

yes

This thread is why Veeky Forums is the best board.

It's worth noting that both Seven Samurai and Yojimbo are perfect for converting into RPG scenarios for exactly the same reason they were adapted for westerns.
The plots are essentially timeless - so long as you have a setting with warriors, peasants and criminals they work just fine.

Seven Samurai especially just makes itself.

They're literally some of the best stories I've seen.

Yojimbo adaptation starring Ewan Mcgregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine when

Did you honestly, even for a second think that was a clever thing to say? Do you feel no shame at all for being such a worthless bag of shit?

you literally sound like someone implying the same claim in the masterwork bastard sword pasta

~2009

Holy shit.