Ancestral Weapons IN DA FUTRE

> Members of a highly traditional alien race go into battle wielding literally several hundred year old ancestral weapons

How would you make this work? So far I have a couple of ideas

> Technology allows for a weapon to be infinitely cloned as long as the origional remains intact
> the same brittle, but sharp, sword can be broken and reformed hundreds of times, entire volleys of the same spear can be launched at the enemy

> Ork-like psychic field makes these weapons extremely lethal because of what they represent to the aliens

> pic related

>highly traditional

That's probably all the justification you need.
Japan didn't have any of that technology and they still did it, granted they later had to shit out crappy tinfoil swords for their officers to wear.

Look at Dune. There's a good justification.

If it's carrying it with them, as long as it's not cumbersome, it was common for a very long tine for officers in modern armies well into the time of automatic weapons to get swords.

If you mean use in battle, they would need to either have armor that defeats current ranged weapons, or not go to war. In a realistic sense, anyway, if it's ca-razy, then just any kind of supertech will do.

I'd have it just be something much like Sam's sword, where upgrading and enhancing the weapon to meet new technological standards isn't considered damaging to its value as the weapon of one's ancestors. You know, "sometimes my spear's head needs replacing, sometimes its shaft needs replacing, but it is still the same spear". The attitude would be one of each new generation leaving their mark on the legacy, rather than it being a static thing that modern wielders can only touch and not affect.

> ancient warship gets continually upgraded and enlarged until its a seven kilometer long space vessel that fires nukes
That's a pretty fucking dope piece of lore right there

Mad Jack Churchill went to war with outdated weapons.

Still had a good k/d.

>Members of a highly traditional alien race go into battle wielding literally several hundred year old ancestral weapons

Are energy swords really that old? It seems like they would be making new ones.

You could also justify it using peak technology. Sometime, you really can't improve something beyond a paradigm shift.

>IN DA FUTRE
Please don't do that ever again.

And if they're an alien race, than it's safe to say they've been in space for a long time. That means, away from any of their planets. Which develop technology, and without visiting can't get better weapons.

So, they use their alien equivalent of a remington 870 to kick other alien ass.

If you're going for the whole Ork psychic field of belief, you may as well go so far as to say it makes the weapon unbreakable too.

This reminds me of something mildly similar I did in a story a decade ago; a gunner had a large handgun made from Excalibur, and could change what it fired via a connected device reminiscent of an iPod.

This is probably the most logical way to do it. An alternative would be a period of technological stagnation. The mechanical achievements of the species have peeked to a point where they simply have yet to figure out a better alternative to what they have for several generations. In that situation you end up the with something similar to your great granddaddy handing you his old C96 that has been meticulously maintained since war. We certainly have better rifles now, but it's still a brilliant piece of weaponry and shooting it would be a pleasure.

That was suposed to be pistols not rifles..

This is now a Jetstream Sam thread.

Ship of Theseus

>How would you make this work?
They're a more elegant weapon from a more civilised age.

Technological plateau.

Kinda like America is still using a WWI heavy machine gun on its tanks and will probably keep on using it forever.

>> Ork-like psychic field makes these weapons extremely lethal because of what they represent to the aliens

so... basically, a weapon version of a god-engine?

Thing is, they're also effective enough & the Covenant is technologically stagnant enough for such a thing.

Even for rifles i agree with this.
As technology go on, as long as the core rifle doesn't have any flaws, you can keep on upgrading the ammo.
Gunpowder keeps on getting stronger for its weight, but the bullet does not grow larger.

Melee weapons could be coated in nano machines or super solid brittle fluid, or have some core mechanics upgraded on the side.

The other case is "weapons platforms which was left behind".
Lets say, full body nano skeletons, because a cheaper variant was easier to field.
Or replacement limbs, especially if maintained and ornament.

The weapons are from the future so even if they're really old they're still up to date by the time they're used as ancestral weapons :^)

>HIs Smile and Optimisim: 200%

You don't even need to change the ammo that much. The 7.62x54r is starting into its second century of use among the Russians and remains just as effective as ever.

It turns out that there's a pretty inflexible upper limit on the power of a shoulder-fired infantry weapon before the recoil makes it difficult to manage, and once you reach that point there isn't much need to improve.

Sorta, but the point was: Even once Power armor gets introduced for infantry, so long the gun is big enough, and the casing is flexible, you can go for the next ammo size.
For the ancestral weapon to be left behind, a entirely new type of weapon, with a entirely new function: That weapon replaces it.

And even for the Dragunov rounds: The bullets has gotten cheaper, and the amount of J they impact has increased.
Modern Dragunov rounds is at ~3500J. 1891 Dragunov rounds would be at 2200-2600, and would deliver more of the impact to rifle.

I'm super jealous.

>tfw I'm good with Raiden and Wolf but not Sam

Everyone is so strong in their species that guns don't work on eachother, because it needs to rely on the strength of the alien, so they use swords that they can swing fast enough.

Dune was pretty good for that actually.

Particle field projectors would deflect high-energy attacks harmlessly (bullets or laser bursts) but a knife to the face was perfectly fine.

>Literal street samurai

Yep. And he's Brazilian.