Song of Swords: The Happening Became A Mech

LAST TIME ON SONG OF SWORDS
With a distinction of Chest Non-Vitals and Vitals, what does Mozambique Drill hit?
Jimmy made ANOTHER GAME, do you know what it is?
IT'S MECHS. We don't know much else.
Card guy still chugging.

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .zip archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
tempsend.com/CE7AAED497/677A/Song_of_Swords.zip

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

This PDF is the Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version, bookmarked.
mediafire.com/download/2cin9ly01z2bp4c/CoTV1.4.pdf

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

The Legend is legally a vegetable.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/6WzsVR7R
youtube.com/watch?v=qcvc3G5Fcj8
mega.nz/#!7pYygSLS!fgNI1eUpmP_PwHV2klp6hwabmzThY1v3Ax0TsLZQgWE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Give me some low level adventures for starting characters in Ballad.

Acting as guards to a small caravan between two small towns on the borders of a nation such as Robeznieki and Asune

Voidship being boarded by hostile force.
Mercenaries in low level backwater conflict.
Low level smuggling in backwater island chain.
Voidwreck scavenging/scrapping.

>Robeznieki and Asune

Is this some new tepid question?

Is that Leisure Suit Larry?

The party is on a cruise liner when it goes down in a terrible Void Hurricane. They happen to all board the same lifeboat and are cast ashore on a small island that used to be a base for [INSERT COUNTRY HERE]

One of the PCs has captured an enemy officer with maps to a large cache of whalebone in the path of the friendly army. Can they sneak past their own allies and through enemy lines to secure the fortune?

FUCK OFF LINNY YOUR METHANE WANZERS ARE LITERAL SHIT.

The Thule Society has uncovered the Spear of Destiny on a desert island. They are on their way with an SS Battlegroup, and the PCs must get there first, defeat the native defenders of the ancient temple, and claim the artifact before it can be brought back to the Vaterland and used in a magic ritual to destroy the enemies of the Reich.

BRB, replaying Front Mission 3.
Alisa route or Emma route?

Actually, hell, on average you can cut down most WW2 films and turn them into Ballad scenarios. You may also try the tutorial/first level of many shooters.

Emma route always senpai. In no other game do you find a woman named Emir.

Okay, the Weapon Attack maneuvers are done. I'll continue with the unarmed attach maneuvers somwhen within the few next days I think.

If someone has any suggestions I'll be happy to hear them. And if someone wants to help, I can post the LaTeX stuff to pastebin or something.

Pham was probably my first videogame crush. Also the fact you got her fucking Butler to come along on the first couple of missions with her made her an auto-pick.

Having a butler in a black wanzer with an axe was great, but I think Yun's hotter. She wears a minidress instead of a pilot suit.

I don't know what LaTeX is, but I'd gladly look at this wizardry. Also, thanks, man.

LaTeX is a extension of the typesetting tool TeX that can used to make pdfs and other things. But it's really mostly used for PDFs as far as I know.
pastebin.com/6WzsVR7R
I personally use TeX Live, but that's rather big. But most distributions are rather big. MiKTEX Portable is very small (for a TeX distribution).

Latex is what people use to make textbooks, especially math textbooks. It lets you get all the funky formula formats and shit.

I need antagonists for my players to fight. Rahoos preferred. I'm trying to run a campaign there, and I'm more or less going for every negative American stereotype amped up to 11.

You ever read Blood Meridian?

If you haven't, read Blood Meridian.

The Rahoo are a complex parody. They're what Americans stereotype non-Americans as perceiving Americans to be like, minus the obesity.

Have the Ponderosa farm be their enemy.

The what?

So, is Gizka Trump, or is Mizzick?

Gizka is the opposite of Trump.

Rococo is Trump.

Business tycoons ala Rockefellers with enough money and clout to hire every other stereotype.
Roughneck cowboy outlaws, skeavy biker gangs peddling space meth, inbred hillbilly man hunters, slick ethnic gangsters, less slick ethnic gangsters, sociopathic PTSD addled former military soldiers of fortune, corrupt cops, misguided cops, misguided cops with corrupt partners, westboro Baptists with guns, hardboiled P.I.s, softboiled P.I.s, environmental terrorists, southern gentlemen and northern intellectual assassins.

Don't forget the ooga booga nigger rapists of southern lore.

You also get that police lady

It's not nice to call Cajuns names like that.

Rococo is Diners, Drive Ins and Dives with Alexander Hamilton. None of the Dacian politicians fit Trump.

>ala

Two factions warring against each other. One is what southerners caricature Yankees to be like. The other is what northerners caricature the Confederacy to be like. Fascists vs an empire of slaves, go.

Are you referencing fucking Bonanza?

Excuuuuse me for using the colloquial form.

>less slick ethnic gangsters
It's a broad category.

I think it's a euphamism for Irish.

Because we're not greasy like the fuggin Goombahs, geddit?

What?

How would one stat an m14 in Ballad?

For my game I statted the BM 59 which roughly is similar, except is based off the Garand.
Abitante VB/77 “Serpente Furioso”
Rifle
Range 150m
TN 8
7.62x63mm
20 (Box)
RoF 25
Brace, Longshot
20 GP

7.62x51mm
8 Damage
17 AP
2 cp/round

Regarding the M14, you'd probably add some rating of Reliable and remove Brace unless someone puts a bipod on it.

Fucking Bonanza, indeed.

Trump wouldn't be Dacian, Dace is the Mexico is Vosca.

What is?

I have a few more SoS questions.

Say I have an arquebus and someone starts a bout with me using a melee weapon, let's say a longsword (L reach). We start at LL range and they come at me. Could I parry with my arquebus as a gunstock club? Would I be required to quickdraw in order to prepare it as a club? If I can, would I have to pay through the nose to parry since we're at LL and the gunstock club is M or would my weapon change shift the reach to the higher of the two reaches (L for the longsword)? If I successfully parry then where is the reach at now?

If I'm not mistaken a Gunstock Club isn't actually the stats for using a gunstock.

To answer a Part of that question:
I think you don't have to pay for the reach difference when defending. The attacker is trying to connect to you and you try to parry that attempt. So you don't really wan't to close the distance, since he already HAS to do that in order to attack.
Also, I think the range stays at L. Imagine someone trying to poke at you with a pike, and you deflect that with a shortsword. The guy with the pike will most likely still be far away from you.
But that's only how I think it works, not sure if the rules agree with me.

Ah here we are, page 138 in 1.9, it's under polearms.

As of now, the gunstock club refers specifically to a native injun war-club designed to resemble a rifle (or perhaps incidentally resembling one) the balance is totally different from an actual rifle.

For the TNs for using a gun in melee, has the right idea.

Reach penalties only apply if the opponent's weapon is longer than yours. If you're both at LL range but have H weapons, you default immediately to H-range barring other circumstances.

Do you own even one sword, Jimmu?

My father is a knife collector, and so we have had a very large number of knives, of various descriptions, which have passed through my hands.

One of them was a Mexican fighting knife, which I still remember to this day because of its fucking sickhouse enscription which, when translated, read something like "do not draw me without cause, do not sheath me without honor."

I'm told this is a pretty common inscription but it's still based as fuck, and the knife was beautiful.

These days, I sold most of my stuff when I moved to my new place. We had a few guns and I had some swords (including a few genuine pieces) which I sold to cover some down payments and some debts.

I did recently get a Napoleanic saber though, the 1786 Light Cavalry version, if I recall. I was torn between that and the Heavy Cavalry Sword, but, you know, sabers are cool as fuck and better to train with.

Do you actually train hema with the other guys?

>If I can, would I have to pay through the nose to parry since we're at LL and the gunstock club is M
Defense penalties are only applied when your opponent is inside your own reach, not when you're inside/outside his.

Swinging a musket like a club is H range? I thought that was the stats for butt-stroking them vs. mordhauing with the thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=qcvc3G5Fcj8
vs pic related.

Does
2H/L STN: 8(+2b) TTN 8(-2b) DTN 8 Heavy Weapon, Shock 2 8/4
Sound about right? Should it have the [2] cost and ADR test of Murder Strike?

Upon googling gunstock club I realize my mistake.

Though seems to be on the same page as I was, with the idea that thrusting with the butt of a rifle and swinging the entire thing like a bat being pretty different. Either way, my disagreement with the rules is irrelevant, I now understand them.

You're right, disregard that I suck cocks.

You could have an option to take you to M range and bump the TN to 9.

Are there any weapons right now that one would expect in Sengoku Era Japan that aren't statted out?

> Butt-stroking

heh

Japanese horse bow and peasant weapon like the kama I believe. Unless you want differing stat lines for uchigatanas and tachi that is. That said, there is tanto, wakizashi and uchi in there, as well as nodachi/oodachi. I believe we do have matchlock arquebuses in the firearm section

Do we have composite longbows?

I believe so. I hear these are rather abnormal to shoot though, coming from a Western archery method

So, do we know anything about Mixtape of Mechs other than it being a thing now apparently?

Actually, come to think of it, how sure are we that Jimmy isn't rusing us?

Mochan Adut. That is trump

Abnormal enough to stat differently?

Normally one expects that at the beginning of April not the end of July, I see Jimmy is truly a Ruseman of a calibre mortals cannot comprehend.
Honestly mixtape of mechs shouldn't exist. If you're looking for lethal mech combat, play GURPS. It's probably the best high lethality system with mechs as far as I know

Possible. I don't know enough about the Yumi aside from the fact that it's held far differently than a regular cavalry bow

How are you doing this? I thought this game didn't work on emulators. Like, that it'll just fuck up on a certain mission.

Nothing wrong with little competition.

There is when you shatter your customer base into three separate divisions and drive some away thanks to the spreading of effort and focus away from what they want.

In the interest of keeping this thread alive, does anyone in here know about the merits of different types of ranged weaponry in real life? I'm interested in the historical development of bows and crossbows and guns throughout the ages and their use in warfare. Archery is to my knowledge uncommon in conquests, but a mainstay in defenses in media; is this even remotely accurate? Is this because of supply lines of arrows being far from worth the effort, if accurate? What makes the variety of arrows in Song of Swords so different in terms of mechanics? I wasn't aware there were so many types of arrows (I have no idea what a Swallowtail is, for instance)

You have something of a point, but what effort is required that Jimmy can provide? He designs things, but he's clearly not adept at laying them out and editing, so his effort doesn't seem conducive to a more desirable product. Doesn't it make complete sense for him to divert his time into an additional supplement, to cover a niche that seems unexplored?

GURPS doesn't cover niches, it is in itself a niche. It's not a competitor to anything.

The CP system in Melodious Mechanics means you can without irony say "REROUTING ALL POWER TO FORWARD WEAPONS SYSTEMS" and this is enough to make it worth existing in my opinion to be quite honest with you my kinsmanny from another fanny

I asked a few threads back if all of Jimmy's ramblings were available on the wiki and was told they weren't, but is anyone even compiling them at all? It feels like there's shittons of great (or at least interesting) worldbuilding and it's completely inaccessible and lost to the ages apart from the neckbeards who were there before the great genesis of the Kikestarter.

I'm imagining it's not intended that the lore of the ages be held by autistic sages and never be put down on eternal pages, so if no one is compiling, I guess I'll start trying, but I'm a newfag to the SoS general so I'd miss a lot probably (I'd just search plebz for posts written by anyone namefagging as Jimmy Rome)

I've tried adding some stuff to the Wiki, but it's a slow effort. Usually I remember something Jimmu said and then have to go look it up.

Does the Composite Warbow not satisfy you?

It depends on place to place. Archery is uncommon less for logistical reasons (it's a fucking stick with a feather and a small piece of metal), but more for the fact it's expensive to train a proper bowman. Crossbowman aren't exempt either, you still have to maintain the thing to keep it worthwhile to shoot with. But in the end, whether you're bringing ranged infantry on a conquest depends on your culture, terrain and availability of good marksmen. Hence why guns began to supplant anything else as the mainstay ranged weapon.

As for arrowheads, yeah. The head of an arrow significantly affects what happens when it hits something. If you're having trouble visualizing or imagining the role of each head, google is actually helpful on this case, or if you have the old Riddle of Steel books (Flower of Battle to be more specific), they have at least a paragraph describing each head.

Alright, seeing as I'm lazy, I'll paste into the wiki any NEW lore Jimmy shits out, if I remember. You nerds can do the old lore.

>Does the Composite Warbow not satisfy you?

I hadn't remembered it, unfortunately; been a while since I'd had a good look at things.

Are you saying that, perhaps, our Jimmy is rustling us?

Jimmy, I also thought that SoS would be perfect for mecha and I think Moonmech Sonata is a fine idea, but please don't lose focus. We're dying, we need Soon.

In the interests of autism, here's 1100 pages of Jerome, all the way up to august 2014.

mega.nz/#!7pYygSLS!fgNI1eUpmP_PwHV2klp6hwabmzThY1v3Ax0TsLZQgWE

Hey, at least now we can get rules for Myrmidon Armor.

>1100 pages
How can one man output such prodigious shitposting?

Did you just download an entire archive or is this something you manually compiled?

>Moonblade harpoons are used only be deranged warriors
>it has fucking TN6 on both attacks and defense, +1c/+2p, max str 6/6 and Fluid Thrusts
Why would you EVER use any other melee weapon in Ballad?

When sailing in Space, is there air on deck (why would ships even have decks if not)? Are respirators just for Under- and Overspace exploration?

I've had similar thoughts, they're fucking bonkers.

Yeah it's the same air density as the islands at the same level or everyone would suffocate it's higher the air gets thinner and lower that the goop is.

Come to think, is the Under-sea goop or water?

One of these days I'll make a guy who has an Integrated Starpoon in his cybernetic arm

Actually come to think of it, would you still require two hands to use an Integrated Starpoon?

Huh. I wandered off and forgot how to Veeky Forums again for... well, a few years, I think?, and when I get back SoS is still putting along, except now Jimmy's expanded into another territory I consider to be my favourite gaming material - mecha games. I look forward to seeing something concrete, even if devious flimflams are the most likely.

Tell us about your new madness, Jimmy.

He's, like, only just expanded into it, and that was only tentative.

I honestly don't remember. I think someone had uploaded multiple txt files and I combined them.

Crazy radioactive dust.

No that's the whalebone.

>The ship moved silently through the dust of Underspace, like a viper in the grass.

Been gone. Has anything happened in the last... season, beside something about Robots?

We got one page of formatted book.

I don't know anymore.

Mixtape of Mechas is new thing. Nobody knows anything.

Bladdad og laver Wales is bookmarked.

Song of Swords Somebody came to the right decision and decided to start making maneuver cards that you could print out. Hope he is still doing that stuff, because it's wicked idea.

Progess? No, I will not lose hope.

How fares BoB the Builder, then, while we wait for the doldrums to pass?

I consider all the system tweaks over the past 4 months to be good progress. That, and a lot of the bad mechanical stuff seems to be reworked.