Naming Conventions

I've given up. I'm just going to be using Ikea brand names for my fantasy characters, places and NPCs and see how long it takes my players to figure it out.

How do you guys come up with your names?

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasynamegenerators.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Smash a few keys, add or substract letters until it's readable.

Learn Greek, Latin, Italian, English, etc. work roots and structural devices and combine them to form names.

>Dion
>Arachimachus
Thrasimedes
>Peloleon
>etc.

It's not hard. Language is literally just a formula of sounds and syllables.

>How do you guys come up with your names?
I have a very old name generator, an .exe that runs under DOS and win95.

I keep a little book full of combinations of syllables that I encounter and happen to like.

Ortimer, Sidwell, Hadlocke, Belfast, Edgewick

Or you could just crack open a copy of the Illiad and steal the names of any of its bajillion named characters. It's not like any of your players will know what you're doing - for all that people talk up the Illiad and the Odyssey as foundational works of western literature, hardly anyone actually reads them nowadays.

Yeah pretty much. I ripped most of those roots from Plutarch.

>This is my new elf ranger, Gräddsås
You should play with Swedes

How would Veeky Forums run a Horrorstör game?

I once ran a campaign where every city and town was named after some type of food. Ceviche, Carpaccio, Anpan, Fiambre, Ciabatta... Made it through five sessions and fifteen named places before my players caught on.
>Oh my God, are all these places named after food? You fat bastard.
They caught me out on Prosciutto, if you're wondering, which in retrospect was far too obvious.

>Horrorstör

Mind giving us a rundown of the concept while I Google search?

Well as far as giving up goes, we played a number of one shots in a row primarily located in city we called Large Generic Human Capital City.

Meh, Greek names are all so obviously related to each other and show a definitive lack of creativity and attention to possibly culturally distinct naming conventions

Its called online generators for names. I also have an old piece of software called Everchanging Book of Names that I use to generate names.

Here is one I just recently found by accident yesterday:
fantasynamegenerators.com/
There are a ton more pretty much everywhere online.

If you can't find a name from these, you don't belong in the RPG hobby.

That might eventually end in circular logic...

who the fuck doesn't know what ciabatta or carpaccio is
Have they never had good sandwiches or any pasta?

You might hate me now.
But really, it's yourself you're angry at.

That better be in goddamn Zimbabwe Dollars is all I'm saying

Watch GoT.
It's good

How come no Pilaf?

Online name generators.

Nothing I hate more than ridiculous character names like Flopfeet, Silversword, and Highwind.

Araki?

What's wrong with Highwind?

I like to use anagrams. For the base word, I'll just use something describing the character/place, one of the players' names, or just something vaguely relevant to the campaign or that I like on general.

For instance, in one campaign I ran, the westernmost river in the region was the Trewnes River (from "western"). A city at the headwaters of another river was called D'Whaat Rhees (from "headwaters"). There was a cleric if Pelor named Stephen Usira ("praise the sun"). Just for giggles, there was a town named Gamanar ("anagram").

You can get a lot of mileage out of anagrams.

The Tamil language is pretty nice for naming places.

>D'Whaat Rhees
Sounds like a rapper.

If there character is someone the PCs should remember, I think up a name that's easy to remember. like Ox-Ox or something

Pick a theme for your nation/race/faction/whatever and use historical names.

>brooka
>two Os in a row
Tfw no nonsense book about horrorwattles.

I use a list of angels and demons for naming everything, no one ever figures it out.

I once tried to play a Yezariel.
It was not received well.

I like to use anagrams! Though I usually steer clear of unpronounceable or weird names. How do your players react to "Trewnes" and "D'Whaat Rhees"?

>Pan
>Bread - JAPANESE
IT'S PORTUGUESE YOU FUCKING SUBHUMANS

Japan adopted the word from Portuguese, so it's the Japanese word for bread too.
And if a Japanese guy is making reference to the word, he probably knows it from his native language, not from the original source his language got it from.

They didn't think much of it. We tend toward using more exotic-sounding names in our fantasy games, so they weren't terribly out of place. And pronunciation isn't a big deal since I'm usually saying them before the players see it written down. Eg, I tell them the NPC recommends they go to "Duh-watt reeze", and then when I mark "D'Waat Rhees" they know how that's pronounced.

Also I just realized it was "D'waat Rhees", no H in the first word. Thought something seemed off there.

KEK

For anyone interested the meaning of the names in OP's pic are:

Lack = Lacquer
Förhöja = (Roughly) To heighten
Fintorp = Fine Cottage
Gräddsås = Cream sauce
Cirkustält = Circus tent
Stockholm = A city full of miserable faggots.

>dwqkjfgweiug
>Dwog Jilgwugg

uncanny