Levi is utter garbage bitching edition

Levi is utter garbage bitching edition

books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 28mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Other urls found in this thread:

wyrd-games.net/zipp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Continuing the Tier list discussion.

>Posted from last thread

Tier 0: Dreamer
Tier 1: Colette, Jack Daw, Kirai, Lilith, Ophelia, Ramos, Wong
Tier 2: Collodi, Leveticus, Lynch, Marcus, McCabe, Molly, Perdita, Rasputina, Seamus, Somer, Sonnia, Ulix, Viktorias
Tier 3: Hamelin, Kaeris, Mah Tuckett, McMourning, Nicodem, Pandora, Shenlong, Von Schill
Tier 4: Hoffmann, Mei Feng, Misaki, Tara, Yan Lo, Zoraida
Tier 5: Brewmaster, Ironsides, Lady Justice
Tier 6: Lucius

Malifaux is actually a 32mm game, though size does vary among figures, much like it does among actual humans.

Poor guy is left with only the biggest hiring pool in the game, the ability to nearly guarantee his presence in the late game, and the ability to finish off just about anything that's already taken a hit. Poor baby!

This list right here is a perfect example of why you should never trust what you read on Veeky Forums.

Whatever man it's just something to discuss.

Though apparently gremlins have a hell of a lot of variance. Got the mah tucket box set and she was almost as tall as Lenny. I gave her the cotton hill treatment and attached her feet to the bottom of her pants which made her look much more proppa to me. Don't even mention the young lacroix.

Pandora and McMourning seem bizarrely low

;)

Collodi 1 down, Shenlong 1 up, Mei Feng 1 down, Tara 1 down, Brewmaster 1 up.

What's up the with young lacroix?

>Collodi 1 down
Are you high? I actually think he's fine in a tier 2 spot. Being able to take the effigies makes him a workhorse, and getting up to 5 AP a turn is nothing scoff at.
Lazarus also does work with him.

I agree with McMourning, but I think Pandora is in a good spot.

Her ideal crew brings models that aren't to great, and any crew with decent casting or willpower shits all over her.

Two of them are huge, almost bigger than a regular gremlin, and then the last model is two of them one riding on the others back with a sling shot.

That's why I'm using the mooning one, the slingshot one, and the old mini pigrider metal one.

Anyone kind of annoyed at just how insanely huge those Emissaries are? It's already hell to take a sizable hiring pool to any location, can't even imagine how Id store these.

I think we need separate tier entries for dual faction masters.

For instance McM in Guild is a whole different beast than his Resser version.

One of them is just enormous. Bigger than Som'er by a good head. Who knows why, with the digital sculpts seems like they should just be able to shrink it down some before they make the mold, but oh well. Probably never gonna use that model again now that I have a real Trixibelle.

Yeah that does sound weird, I wasn't interested in ophelias crew much anyway but that's another reason to avoid them. Thanks.

Res of the box is great though. Francois is one of my fav gremlin models. I'd post a pic but I wont be home for a few days.

Which version is the better in your opinion? On the forums many players consider Resser McMourning mediocre, while Guild McM one of the best masters in the faction.

Oh I do like pretty much all the gremlin models out (Merris & Zoraida stuff isn't my cup of tea), it's just the playstyle of stand & shoot doesn't interest me. Even if there is the added gremlins silliness compared to the latigo stuff.

It's funny, Resser Mcmourning was considered a powerhouse while Guild Mcmourning was considered weak for most of M2e.

Ah ruleswise. Francois is still super dumb on the table. Every time I've played him against someone for their first time, their jaw just drops as the little gunslinger gremlin sidles up and just vaporizes their biggest guy in melee. I know this is probably not new information to you I just love that little guy to death. He almost never makes it to the end of a game but my god does that candle burn twice as bright.

Giving him stilts is just brutal. Walks up and slaps someone for 10 damage then goes "nope, don't need these any more" and he takes none of the backlash.

Is there a good place to see tourney results for Malifaux like discountgamesinc compiles Warmachine ones?

>Levi was always garbage because he was a crutch for otherwise mediocre players.

The rankings site?
I don't know that, but maybe.

The guy from schemes and stones is doing his best to help compile them, as are a few people on the wyrd forums. The main problem I feel is that tournaments aren't held nearly as often as Warmahordes, other than the big ones, meaning data is less reliable.

Malifaux-Rankings dot com has a big people list, but the Events tab has the people and their placings in that event.
It also gives you a pie chart of Faction representation.
Click the peoples' names and it gives you which factions they played in the events they attended.

Sidenote: Wow, 5 people (or five instances) actually played the Crossroads 7 at a tournament.

The problem with malifaux tournaments being recorded is lists aren't fixed. Just taking a pool doesn't explain much about the things being played or how.

I'm working on a bunch of guildstuff.

I have a question though maybe someone could answer.
With the Guild riflemen how many can use its Stand and Fire ability? Would it stack with Perdita's Finger on the Trigger? Making a list that is pretty much "You charge you get fired at"

Can anyone add Into the Steam and Under Quarantine to the mega?

True.
It's a shame there are so few (as far as I've seen) decent tournament report blogs, especially top-level players.
On the other hand, that's probably because it's hard enough reading them sometimes, it must be hell playing a good game while remembering what happened in what order, and why you picked what you did to do which tasks.

My local store is one of the top Malifaux communities in the world. They're a decent set of chaps but they're not very interesting. They're autistic as hell and couldn't write a good report of they tried.

It's basically 1 retard wrangler and his autistic retards. He gives great intros, promotes everything and gets the store a shit load of purchases, but the others you can barely get a conversation out of and there isn't a single bit of banter over a casual game. And that is without them randomly picking up their phone to read text messages mid game.

>With the Guild riflemen how many can use its Stand and Fire ability?
Reading over the ability, I don't think there is a cap past the rare 3 riflemen are. Sounds pretty sweet.

I feel like podcasts handle this sort of reporting better.

I know Schemes and Stones did an episode about the host and some of his friends who played at Adepticon. One was playing primarily Levi while the other was mostly playing Sonia.

Looks like it's up to you then to be our autist whisperer and bring back their secrets.

Idea is to have Perdita with Franco and a Governers Proxy, for heals, in the center and the Riflemen with Dashel at the back with some Guardsmen running around for objectives.

>how many can use its Stand and Fire ability?
Meaning?
Every Rifleman in range of the charger can discard Focus to do damage.
And so can Perdita, as far as I can tell.

Agreed - S&S do good talk about what they want each pick to do, even if it's not always in a direct BatRep context.
Before We Begin is also good for that kind of immediately-game-focused consideration, but I find it far less helpful in actually getting a handle on how each player expects the game to play out (probably because I am personally tragically inexperienced with the actual game).

>Guardsmen running around for objectives.
Are they fast and/or 'ard enough?
They don't look killy enough to escape getting tied up dodging the opponent's jammers.
You're either burning more than a full turn avoiding the enemy jammer, or a long combat killing them.

I take that back (partially).
Menace (Horror duel) and Investigate (place next to nearby enemy Shceme Markers) look pretty useful, even if using them as objective hunters might preclude getting the Patrol bonus (+2Df and +ve Disengaging strike when near other Guards).

Honestly, riflemen seem to outdo death marshalls a fair bit and for a lesser cost.

Death Marshals can box things, which is powerful in it's own right.

Why is guild mcmourning suddenly good?

I've heard of Latigo McMourning lists that have Abuela make him Family and then he does silly shit with scheme markers while the Family models shoot shit.

I'm pretty sure it's old as balls though.

What models go particularly well with Shenlong?

Snipers and Archers are good since he can pass out free Focus to them and have Yu push them into position.

Are any of the story encounter boxes worthwhile if I don't want to include the models in a crew? How exactly do the scenarios in them work?

I feel like Guild McM's marker shenanigans are going to get overshadowed in a big way by Nellie, which sort of leaves him without a niche there.

He can still hand out Precise and hire Nurses.

I feel good. Traded an unused McMourning/Resser crew to a guy for new paints and the Crossroads 7. He gets to experience the love that is McMourning Plastic Surgery and I get to add crazy band shit to my Jack Daw crew.

Can anyone recommend any step-by-step painting guide for Marcus crew (any beast from there actually)?

I have the University of Transmortis (the first one) and i would suggest no.
It has three scenarios, one thats "solitaire" and two that are 1v1 with the students as neutral parties. iirc one has you getting the students to kill the other team and one has something about the students killing bystanders.

Riflemen do more damage, but Marshals have more utility with unimpeded, finish the job, and pine boxes. Plus, riflemen are about as tough as wet tissue paper.

how is rasputina? Any must have models for her crew? Which upgrades should I take with her?

Rasputina is very good at alpha striking and has interesting LoS rules to her. Similar to Reva except based around models. The key is to keep her away from the action and in LoS of things with frozen heart.

As far as upgrades, I'll ask my friend for specifics when she gets off work.

Her thematic models work well as they have useful abilities and they're ice mirror candidates. Outside of them, Arcanist staples like Howard/Joss, Effigy, Cassandra work well.

For upgrades, I like December's Pawn to turn black jokers into red and the big one that makes ice mirror better, I forget the name.

Shattered heart. And what about child of December? The 0 action seems pretty good.

Rasputina really, really doesn't like to be engaged. Fortunately, she's got two primary methods to avoid it.

Models like Snowstorm, the Arcane Emissary, or a Performer or two can push or pull her out of engagement range and she can happily go back to freezing faces off. If you feel that you've got a reliable number of movement effects in your crew, you can take Shattered Heart for better ice mirrors.

If those models don't fit your plan, or you're worried about them getting tied up or killed themselves, the more conservative route is to just take Armor of December. If anything engages Raspy she just pushes away and then - hopefully - removes the offending model from the board.

Either way you go, I'm a big fan of the Cold Nights upgrade. Ice Pillars let you wall off melee guys, and you can often still shoot around them with ice mirror shots.

Finally, for must have models, I'd vote for December Acolytes. The slow and discard abilities on their gun are pretty high value, they've got some more tricks on top of that, and From the Shadows is useful for making sure you've got ice mirror lanes. Silent Ones are also great, they're like mini-Raspys all by themselves, have a great Df trigger, and can heal most of your crew.

Gremlins have never had any sort of consistent scale (the old metals were all over the place too), partly to make the models sane (a lot of the Gremlins bending over/sitting/whatever would be pretty tiny if they were scaled correctly) and I assume partly because as the comedy faction scale is secondary to the visual gags. You may as well learn to roll with it.

guess I'm too autistic. I can live with it, it just always bugs me. Hardly ever run Ophelia with YLC anyways and then rarely with all 3, so it really isn't a huge issue.

Also the existence of Lenny and Mancha Roja does somewhat suggest size is pretty damn variable amongst gremlins.

Really any sort of melee Gremlin that relies on brute strength seems to be bigger than average. This covers Mah and Somer to some degree, though Somer isn't typically mixing it up in melee he does club dude with a stick. Then you have Francois and the Taxidermists who are melee but rely on skill luck, who are closer to normal size.

You could maybe even assume that the Yong LaCroix are simply in the baby stages of this bruiser variant.

There is that little line of text in one of the books that refers to huge gremlins that live up a mountain or something. I assume those two are some of the first to make it down, through dumber luck and to make their fame and fortune in the bayou, respectively.

which book, if you can recall

Found it, it's in the core book. Looks like I jumped to the conclusion about them being big - but it does make some sense.

>There has been a rumour of a new sort of Gremlin coming down from beyond the mountain. What these gremlins want and if they are going to try to budge their way into the Bayou is a question that many Gremlins are asking, but one which no one has any answers for.

Does anyone here ever play on Vassal?
I usually only get to play games once a week or more if a friend can visit, but I'd really like to play more often than that because i suck and need the practice.

I do. I finished playing a for funsies VS list that included Montressor who proceeded to MVP the match by guerilla fighting things down for 7dmg a turn.

Mostly I wanted to see if I could build a list with 8 models that had a full SS cache.

Monty is a great model, but often because hes viewed as a tarpit that cant survive people think hes bad. But the thing is he is just as good at picking off single models (either through severes or pulling them to him and paralyze/damage etc) as he is at drawing in crowds and honestly for most masters who cares if he dies after clumping the enemy? Clumping them, wasting their actions to kill him and potentially paralyzing or damaging them is great!

Oh, also Montresor with Papa Loco is fucking hilarious for Jack Daw. The + to damage lets him deal out those 7 damage hits with ease and if you do pull a model or two or use fearful whispers Loco can blow them the fuck up.

Holy crap I didn't even think of that! Thanks user. But yeah, I love the tall man in black and am almost thinking I'll like him more than jaakuna for general dickery.

I once tried him with Tara to... interesting results.
She was able to unbury him in the middle of the board, give everyone in that area fast (so -2 wp to them) so he could nimble to the perfect position, shoot his ranged thing 3 times to drag models in (or more often force opponent to cheat or drop cards) then fearful whispers against all those people (who are at -3 wp with Monty+dead of winter aura) into an easy pile for the Karina "damage fast when they activate aura" and for wp based attacks from nothing beast/bishop/scion.

Unfortunately the first time i did this i did not take Nothing Beast, Bishop or the Scion of the void. Do not attempt this strategy without some shit that targets willpower.

Any predictions on what the (4ish) new generalist upgrades will be in wave 4?
My hope is for some more to "crossover lists" like upgrades that give the model a characteristic or synergizes well with a particular master's crew.

Like an upgrade for constructs in guild that is designed to be used with witch hunters or something that turns mercenaries into undead.

I don't see that happening since there's likely one out of six masters who would not really benefit. I'm going to guess strange interactions with the norma lturn order or rules.

Brutal Emissary did have his terrifying "Triple activate" and Nelly can "pass" activations so they are heading down that road.

Another possibility is upgrades that make use of scheme markers, since a lot of crews can do great at placing them but not as many use them directly and a lot of the schemes don't use scheme markers.

Do you think there'll be one that explains the inbuilt Tome on Nelly's card?

Possibly Phiona Gage or the Printing Press can give her a DF trigger?

Speaking of,

I'll admit I was really hoping for a fat mexican bandito for Parker. I heard about a "cigar in your eye" and immediately thought of this guy

The models in the starter box are mercenaries right?
Has anyone ever used them as such? Angel Eyes doesn't seem handy outside of Neverborn as the other factions have similar shooty models but what about Grimwell or Heartsbane? Grimwells Nimble seems dangerous with +1 walk in outcasts or abusing Unnerving Aura in Ressur.

How do you get Obey in Ressur outside of Ama No Zako?

You can technically whip him with Sybelle and get an Obey effect with the right trigger.

Was asking about Obey for Phillip. If he activates chatty via obey he won't use manipulative.

What do you say, Veeky Forums, is Marcus a versatile Master? In that - can I take him in any game and expect him doing his job reasonably well?

Yes.

I expect a Df trigger upgrade.
As someone said above, it just looks like they are thowing more upgrades about now.

(0) Whispers of Past Life/Future Flesh from Molly's Limited Upgrades.

He is one of the more toolboxy masters there is

Apparently my lgs is gonna do some malifaux slow grow league thing.

I was thinking of doing brewmaster but I was discouraged to do so since he's basically guaranteed to make players rage quit apparently.

Which gremlin master should I start with that's not somer?

Ophelia if you want something easy, Wong or Ulix if you want to have some crazy but totally viable fun, Mah if you want challenge (you are going to buy her box for Trixibelle anyhow).

I wouldn't have said Brewmaster would cause rage quits, he usually isn't thought of as too powerful, though he can be a little frustrating against new players due to his denial style.

During gencon several new masters are being sold from the Wyrd website, the gremlin one is this guy wyrd-games.net/zipp

Zoraida would help you branch out into Neverborn if you liked and works with a variety of odd tactics.

If you get Wong, get Gracie and Burt Jebsen, then you have the heroes of Big Trouble In Little China as a crew. If someone else plays Yan Lo, you have your villain!

Thanks

What makes mah challenging?

I've never played her and I'm not that guy but here are my guesses.
She is melee, so that obviously puts her at more risk. She is rather supportive, so you have to know how to use the rest of your crew.
My final guess is that she wants Somer's bayou gremlins more than her own bushwackers.

As said above though Trixiebelle her henchman is amazing so one day you will probably want Mah Tucket.

Grimwell with access to focus on lobotomy is scary.

What, like from Envy, Shenlong or I Pay Better?
I guess that makes sense. What are some other sources of Focus?

imbued energies/oathkeeper can be used that way

She is considered to be one of the weaker Masters afaik. Never faced her, so I don't have any personal experience about that though.

True, any source of fast like Tara, Aionus (with a rather high card, but even so) or Sensei Yu could let him do the same trick. With his Nimble on top of the pushes from Yu he could be a pretty frightening thunders pick, especially in Shenlong. Yan Lo could also turn him into a spirit to give him +2 armor so enemies will struggle to remove him and Lust can help clump his foes so they will all be in his engagement and cant run.

Other less exciting stuff includes Ama No Zako obeying him into focusing, tengu to make him heal a little more and Oiran to keep his wp strong. He might even be a good choice for Hidden Agenda.
Looking into this I'm not actually sure she does want Gremlins more than Bushwhackers. Both seem very good for her. Bushwhackers seem awesome for securing the sides of the board and for sitting in a piece of cover and shooting the shit out of anything that gets close.

Oh fuck Nelly can give out fast with an upgrade can't she? Plus she can easily grab Ama no Zako, Envy, Aionus or whatever with her henchmen focused upgrade.

1. She's a melee booster in a faction where the things she boosts are primarily ranged (Gremlins): this is getting better as more options come out (particularly things like Rooster Riders who go from "pretty good" to "holy shit" when the Mah buffs are going on all cylinders), but the kit is still currently a little at odds with the faction.

2. Resource intensive to be at her deadliest: if you want her and her crew to go full bore you probably need a ram card for Chores, then a mid-high card and/or a soulstone for Aim for the Sore Spots, and then a Gremlin you can sack for Do it Right! Realistically you aren't going to be able to do this every turn of the game, so it's almost like managing a Warmahordes caster feat to know when it's really going to be worth it to go all in.

It's also why she doesn't necessarily have great synergy with her own box crew, because everyone wants to discard cards for effects but the crew's ability to replenish those cards is minimal.

3. As a damage dealer she needs too many resources and things to go her way compared to Ophelia (who does better damage at range and only needs Lenny to be standing next to her) or Wong (absurd amounts of AoE that can literally wipe enemy crews if you catch them out in a bad position). It is, IMO, why you want to ensure that your crew will be benefitting as much as possible from her buffs instead of trying to make her a super solo.

So yeah, if you want to play her you kind of have to approach her from the perspective of using her as a force multiplier, support and disruptor (Horrible Hollerin' and Let Mah Handle This) rather than assuming you're playing Gremlin Lady Justice.

This is just covering Brewmaster. Their story in the one book refers to the Tri Chi coming over the mountain.

>tfw bought somer, ophelia, wong, mah boxes
>tfw also bought handful of boxes of other models i thought looked cool
>tfw haven't played a game but have half the gremlin roster because i love the models and have been out of things to paint

are gremlins fun and good or am i just gonna have some cool models painted up?