5e Player’s Handbook, page 187:

5e Player’s Handbook, page 187:
>For every day of downtime you spend crafting, you can craft one or more items with a total market value not exceeding 5 gp, and you must expend raw materials worth half the total market value. If something you want to craft has a market value greater than 5 gp, you make progress every day in 5-gp increments until you reach the market value of the item. For example, a suit of plate armor (market value 1,500 gp) takes 300 days to craft by yourself.

5e Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 129:
>A character engaged in the crafting of a magic item makes progress in 25 gp increments, spending that amount for each day of work until the total cost is paid. The character is assumed to work for 8 hours each of those days. Thus, creating an uncommon magic item takes 20 days and 500 gp.

Crafting a suit of regular plate armor: 300 days and 750 gp spent

Crafting a suit of mithral plate armor or mariner's plate armor (both uncommon magic items): 20 days and 500 gp spent

What is the reason for this? The DM more or less has to handwave this and fall back on the DMG's lines of:
>You can decide that certain items also require special locations or materials to be created.
>You are free to adjust the costs to better suit your campaign.

And of course, in an echo of caster edition, you need to be a spellcaster to craft magic items...

I'd rule that you'd need to do both -- make the plate mail, then use that plate mail as a "component" to create magical plate mail. Is it unclear? Yeah. Does that seem to make the most sense? Yeah. So we do that.

> make something out of steel as a component for making that same thing out of mythril
> makes the most sense
c'mon

I'd rule that you use the longer of the two times if there's a mundane equivalent, progressing at the gp rate of which ever method is under the longer time.

The crafting rules are shit, scrap them and wing it

Best choice: Your player is a adventurer, not a artisan, they can tie two sticks together and make a cross, or smash berries with their feet, but much more is probably beyond them.

> What is the reason for this?
> you need to be a spellcaster to craft magic items...

It sounds like the logic is that magic is the quicker way of doing things, but only for those skilled in magic.

Though you always have to ask how a PC managed to get 3 weeks that they could spend crafting.

>letting your players craft shit

Kek, we're in the wilderness

/threeaad

topkek

You're explicitly misinterpreting him, and you know it.

I'm currently going Full Aspergers on revamping the Crafting Rules, expect something usable soon.

The main issue is that there is no Hard value for magic items. I don't mean cost, I mean serious weight of the magic items in a campaign. We have a loose guide for when players should get them, but no hard scale of what they do compared to character level.

I've got a basic system figured out, basically just a level adjustment based on rarity of a magic item when creating encounters. From there I can actually figure out the inherent value of a magic item, and work on developing a craftng system and reasonable economy from there.

you add the time and cost of the magic item to the base.

since that's the way it's always worked in dnd.

enchanting armor requires a base item that is "magically new"

Why do you need to craft steel plate armor before you can make the suit out of mithral?

That makes no sense.

It's actually just mithril-plating. Why do you think it costs less than Full Plate?

>Mithral is actually incredibly hard to work
>The "enchantment" is actually just a permanent transmutation

>Why do you need to craft steel plate armor before you can make the suit out of mithral?
You don't; they're saying that you spend the equivalent time, money, and effort prepping the mithril armor before starting the enchantment process.

But you probably already know this.

>It's actually just mithril-plating

That can't be right, unless mithral is somehow lighter than air, making the plated armor lighter some way (since that's the effect of mithral armor).

>Mithril is lighter than air
I dunno, this sounds like a potential winner of a concept.
>This is the reason it's so hard to smith and mine
>Allows things like land masses rich in mithril that have ascended, and either used as a base or plundered for the metal
>Airships and flying carriages
Mhm.

Would you make the mithril armor out of some partially mithril alloy?
Or would you need to tie to down while you're not wearing it?
I don't know about you, but I lost a million balloons as a smaller person.

The reason is that they don't give a shit about crafting and just slapped the rules for it together without a thought.

Godspeed, user, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

>> make something out of steel as a component for making that same thing out of mythril
>> makes the most sense
>c'mon
When mithral is seen as a magic item instead of a natural, non-magical metal, then yeah, it does make sense. Clearly mithral is what you get when you apply certain transmutation magics to steel equipment, otherwise why would it be a magic item instead of just a special material?

Mind you, I think it was stupid as fuck to make special materials into magic items in 5e, but that's what they did, so that's what we have to deal with (until I'm the DM, of course).

Where and how do you work seashells into armor? Or even mithril?

Plate armor can be made anywhere there is stock of materials (I'd even rule that that stock of materials are part of the work that you can buy to speed things along), and a smithy used for shaping and crafting armor - basically any city. You can even get a dozen hirelings to help cut the time down.

Mithril requires a special material in a special place, even if it takes less time to craft. Finding a sea shell he size of a breast plate is a quest in its own.

The rules are far from perfect, but it enables reasonable arbitration and still is better than 3.pf crafting bullshit.

>Crafting a suit of mithral plate armor or mariner's plate armor (both uncommon magic items): 20 days and 500 gp spent
Sorry, maybe I missed this line, but where exactly does it say that you get to make magic items for less their actual cost?

> Your player is a adventurer, not a artisan...

Unless, of course, your character actually is an Artisan, which is a 100% legitimate background choice that characters can have.

>The main issue is that there is no Hard value for magic items. I don't mean cost, I mean serious weight of the magic items in a campaign.
The book doesn't explicitly write it out, but if you populate all of the dungeons according to their treasure charts based on the player levels, they should have +1 during early Second Tier, +2 during Third Tier, and have run into at least one +3 by the time they reach Forth Tier.

You don't.

500 gp is the maximum cost of an uncommon magic item.

Oh wow, it's that cheap? I don't have my DMG on me.

If that's the case, yeah, sounds like they need to supply the mythril first.

You're an "artisan" turned murderhobo. At *best* you are the bottom 1/3 of your peers, otherwise you could make so much bank you wouldn't need to adventure.

>5e is borked and sometimes even contradictory
No shit.
I'll give you a hint- rules lawyers are twice the pain in 5e, because the whole system only fucking runs when you homebrew virtually everything other than the class features.

It's like the arbitrator of the game actually has an obligation to arbitrate. How queer.

Rules lawyers are irrelevant because the DM can just say it is thus

And it is thus

Rule 0

>le all player characters are bottom of society psychopath vermin who only leave their homes because they can't do anything else
What a fun GM.

Rule 0 doesn't make the system better.
A good chef can make a good meal with shitty ingredients ect. ect.
They half assed almost everything in 5e to make the safest game possible.

That certainly is an opinion that you have there.

And yes, it's a safe game. As both a DM and a Player, I'm fine with that. It serves its purpose for me when I need a safe game to introduce new players to the hobby or when my friends and I feel like we're in a particularly "D&D" mood.

It's okay to not like the system, user. It's even okay to complain about it. It's not okay to shit on other people simply for being able to enjoy things that you don't or can't.

Let's say history/actual artificiers/blacksmiths state that it takes x to y days to make something. So you make a rule that it takes y at low skill/crap workshop. Now if the magic enchants finished goods, you add to this time. If the magic makes the item from scratch or half-finished, you might lower this time or increase it dependent on magic skill. As for cost, nope. There is no saving d&d economy. This has to be completely worked by actual economists from the ground up.

Or if you watch kino, you could probably wing it on "the economy is just the belief that it works"