youtube.com/watch?v=qZRL-UtBDvY
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_olde
youtube.com/watch?v=F5FEj9U-CJM
youtube.com/watch?v=OSxFY917UH8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5MEJk5ZCQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> guns in D&D

Is there anything more cancerous?

Yeah somehow getting shot a dozen times with a musket and getting scratched a dozen times with a sword just breaks the fuck down, I'm sorry. Systems with massive pools of HP and guns do not fucking mix.

Fingolfin.

When you shoot a commoner, he still typically dies in a single shot.

But, when you shoot at a dragon or an action movie star, they just seem to keep going.

I personally don't like guns in D&D, but not for your reason. I just don't think it's a good mix of aesthetics.

Except for OP's image. There's something awesome about finding an ancient gun from a lost civilization in a pile of treasure.

>I just don't think it's a good mix of aesthetics.
Guns are from the 13th century. They tie in well enough.

I play pathfinder, and the Gunslinger isn't so bad. If built well you generally murderate whatever you shoot, the only thing weird is when you reload and fire multiple times due to gimmicks and realize a round is 6 seconds.

It feels about right, usually killing humanoids in 2 or 3 shots, and dargons and big beasts in like, 10.

D&D is 14th century aesthetic with 9th century combat.

Fair enough.

Gunpowder and bombs are from the 9th century.
Fire lances and shitty cannons are from the early 10th century.
Only in China though, so make them imported of from wizards.

I am well aware of what thou art contemplating; did he loose nine bullettes or ten? To speak honestly, I hath lost count in all ye jubilee. Regardless, such as this be a one third bore, ten shot handgonne, the most powerful handgonne in all God's creation and shalt behead you cleanly with thunderous force, thou must inquire thineself; 'Doth I feel blessed?'

So, doth thou, knave?

Well yeah the use of gunpowder goes back a really long time but people didn't start brandishing ball and powder muskets for centuries after the Chinamen developed it.

>the only thing weird is when you reload and fire multiple times due to gimmicks and realize a round is 6 seconds.
youtube.com/watch?v=qZRL-UtBDvY

>ye

fixed
>þE

> and realize a round is 6 seconds.
And I'm just over here, basking in TSR's vastly superior 10 minute turn, 1 minute round timekeeping system.

Dammit! When I heard "ye" was just the old spelling of "the" I thought it was literal.

Also, why did we drop 'th' as a character?

But, thanks for the correction.

Also
But what if I want my setting to be 14th century combat too?

Well, guns have a statline so they're an option.

I assume there's more to 14th century combat than that but fuck if I care enough to research it. You better hit the books user.

>Also, why did we drop 'th' as a character?
It just gradually fell out favor for being redundant. Never mind that q is a degeneration of cw into qu
At some point þorn was only used to abbreviate "the". Importing types for printing presses killed even that off.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_olde

Why are guns supposed to be more lethal than swords?

because bullets, and actually arrows tend to move much faster than a pretty much any blade can be swung by human arms. We're just not built for that.

Thankfully, humans don't take THAT much to kill, also swords can theoretically stay competitive in combat because there's more mass behind the (admittedly lower velocity) weapon.

But if you want to combine the best of both words, roll up a mantis shrimp monk: youtube.com/watch?v=F5FEj9U-CJM

youtube.com/watch?v=OSxFY917UH8

also related youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5MEJk5ZCQ

>because i can kick serious ass with ken.

>5th-6th century lamellar
are you just trolling for (You)s?

HP represents a mix of heroic toughness, luck and will to live.

D&D is about worlds where almost anyone worth mentioning is an action hero who can take multiple blows and still keep on trucking. You don't play D&D for any semblance of realism.

HP is a measurement of how heavy my penis is