What were some of the goth-influenced RPGs of the 80s-90s besides WoD/VtM?

What were some of the goth-influenced RPGs of the 80s-90s besides WoD/VtM?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yf9OAFML_Eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ravenloft, Planescape

Both good settings, but I meant more like goth aesthetic than 'gothic horror'.

I think WoD was the only one that fully embraced it as the primary aesthetic.

Man, what ever happened to goth girls? They were the best back in the day, but you almost never see one anymore.

Goth turned into Emo turned into Scene which has largely died until unless you're in middle achool.

They grew up and started giving birth to hipsters

I find that hard to believe. It may have been the only one anyone really remembers, but WoD was some pretty high-selling shit, the second best selling RPG of all time if I recall. No one else cashed in on that demographic? No one catered to them in a different light? I'm sure they're out there, it's just a matter of them being obscure as fuck.

I live in St. Louis and there is a club that has a 'goth night'. Pretty cool scene.

Chill
Kult
In Nomine

>I find that hard to believe. It may have been the only one anyone really remembers, but WoD was some pretty high-selling shit, the second best selling RPG of all time if I recall. No one else cashed in on that demographic? No one catered to them in a different light? I'm sure they're out there, it's just a matter of them being obscure as fuck
The cash was in Anne Rice novels, not goths specifically.

White Wolf knew what they were getting into at some point early on, I'm sure.

I also think that was their intent, but I also think the sales came from the "vampire" part of the title.

Whispering Vault, Kult, SLA Industries (to a point).

Whispering Vault is a particular favourite of mine. I posted it in the share thread, if you want to check it out.

Until they jumped the shark and made tv show that was absolutely horse shit and could not get viewers in a dead spot.

That show was also goth as fuck.

>SLA Industries
>goth
I don't see it.

Your making me think hard to remember, but WoD was the system that fully embraced Goth. The only non-WoD I ever messed with a little that could be goth was WitchCraft by Eden Studios. Other than that there were games that had vampires, werewolfs, and such, but not big goth as I know it.

Shadowrun

Right! My dick is sad all the time now

>Goth turned into Emo turned into Scene which has largely died until unless you're in middle achool.

That is so absolutely wrong that I don't even know where to begin.

Global warming

How would you describe the evolution of goth subculture?

Goth came from post-punk, and is most closely associated with industrial rock, darkwave and metal.

Emo comes from hardcore punk, a melodic derivation of it, and is mostly related to original post-hardcore, pop punk and post-rock more recently.

The only relation between the two is that they're both kinda related to depression and angst.

Scene is more of an aesthetic subculture than anything. It's what "cool" kids in the myspace era tried to be. Music often associated with it was metalcore, screamo and third-wave post-hardcore.

>but WoD was some pretty high-selling shit
Hell's ya, in the 90's everytime a new WW book came out the FLGS had at least 30 preorders for it just from the regulars at the store.

>No one else cashed in on that demographic?
My guess is no one wanted to be perceived as the WoD rippoff

>obscure as fuck
It's what I miss about the 90's. People willing to try new things and all the small company's cranking out shit. Now unless your old there are only 3 flagship games from 5 company's that anyone is willing to play. The kids at the FLGS look at us in bewilderment that we play more than two games and hardly non of then the BIG 5 company's.

Not him but you're mistaken in claiming they evolved from each other. I would agree that among younger demographics they largely replaced each other in sequential order and fulfilled similar social roles.

Something "evolving" would be like the hardcore scene turning into deathcore "scene kids." Goth didn't really have a link to emo, which is more related to hardcore as well.

>3 flagship games from 5 company's
D&D from WotC, SR5 from CGL, something FFG, and two other companies? OPP and nWoD, maybe?

Now that I look messed the math should have read:
>4 flagship games from 4 company's

Magic
Warmachine
D&D

Wizard of the coast (Magic, D&D)
Games Workshop (40K)
Privateer Press (Warmachine)
Fantasy Flight (Board Games)

Local meta is pick two and that is all you'll ever play.

>nWoD
WoD was hotter than the Sun locally then they did the end times. nWoD reset the universe so it got dropped by the players around my area.

1970s: protogoth
1980s: trad goths
1990s: trad goths, expansion into other 'goths
2000s: still kinda there, but a lot of em have jobs now, so corpgoth
2010s: corpgoths mostly.

Same with emos - EMOTIONAL MUSIC - 1980s start, 1990s-2000s hayday, scene at the end around 2008-2012ish, 2010s decline as they grow up, get jobs.

OMG pls die on a pyre.

The /goth/ of WoD has always been its greatest weakness and the reason it has decayed into unplayable fan wank. There was some punk in it initially, but that has been sanitized in favor of flat out overt fetishism. Nihilism and alternative ethics have been replaced with Hot Topic conformity.

There were a few games before 9-11 that challenged mainstream philosophy and explored what would today be labeled /edgy/ without becoming hollow, pointless, or contrived.

Kult has been mentioned, it's a gnostic challenge to our sense of reality.

Unknown Armies is a personal favorite, it instrumentalizes the contrast between mainstream and fringe to develop alternate explanations of what is really happening.

Delta Green settings all go that route but they don't explain it because the characters have to burn it all to the ground and then wonder if it was the right thing to do.

>SLA Industries
More industrial, but sure.

Wow, it's like I'm really in 1997

This user gets it. Goth style and heat waves don't mix well together.

Sorry mate, oWoD was literally the only thing that embraced goth as main, secondary and auxiliary aesthetics. They've filled the market so well nobody else even bothered in the mainstream.

Good year.
Buffy started happening.

Ah, thanks.

>'97 was 19 years ago
I feel fucking old

But just think how easily you can impress nubs now.

Aside from Kult and Witchcraft and Wraethulhu etc...

There's no point in "impressing the nubs" when you're now too old to get laid with them.

Gothgirls a shit

a: grow up!
b: doing it wrong, apparently

>grow up!

I already did that. That is the problem!

>post-punk
>industrial rock
>darkwave
>metal
>post-hardcore
>pop punk
>post-rock
>metalcore
>screamo
>third-wave post-hardcore

Fuck Tumblr, when it comes to pointlessly labeling the most minuscule differences in shit, the music industry reigns supreme.

>I don't get it so it's stupid

Can't expect Veeky Forums to understand music though. Most of you probably just listen to video game music, metal, and traditional Celtic songs.

I listen to whatever sounds good, whether it's country, rap, rock, classical, or whatever. I just think the music industry's tendency to branch out and compartmentalize every little subgenre of a subgenre is silly.

I aint no square homie

youtube.com/watch?v=yf9OAFML_Eg

but this user is the only right choice your a fedora tier autist if you only listen to one genre

It's true that people mislabel things all the time or try really hard to "create" a subgenre, most everything you mentioned in your post is legit and can be easily distinguished from each other. Although there was probably no reason for that user to delve into it like that, he was just showing off.

Nah you know whats fucking good mexican goth girls I dont know why but the unkempt hair they had always turned me on

>I'll listen to whatever shit is playing on the radio so I don't understand why someone might want to look for a more specific style of music
>I'm a tremendous toolbag who listens to meme music like /mu/ tells me to

Most of those actually make sense, though. Take post-rock for example. Sure, you're still using your guitars, drum kits, keyboards, whatever. But it's a heavily instrumental genre, it's really not even rock. More crafting a soundscape than crafting individual songs. There's definitely a reason for it to be a separate genre.

Basically, even though all the genre divisions seem strange, it's because there really is that big of a difference between them. Compare something like... say, Within Temptation with Slipknot or the like. Would you put those two in the same genre?

Third-wave post-hardcore is bullshit though.