/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Tribal edition! Pick a creature type that doesn't have a whole lot of support, and turn it into a fully-fledged tribe! Refer back to the Lorwyn-Shadowmoor blocks as needed. You may use the tribal type if you want, but it's not required.

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Decided to make this one about tribal since we started to speak about it a bit in the last thread. And really, Lorwyn-Shadowmoor is easily the best reference for how to do tribal correctly, though it does falter a bit in some areas, like with their hybrid cards, which Maro did point out later weren't very good at being, well, hybrid.

Oh yeah, and here's this. Probably not going to actually do a whole lot with Thopters, in fact I made this a while ago based on another user's design.

There were a lot of things that Lorwyn-Shadowmoor did badly with tribal, separate from the hybrid color-pie breaking. There were way too many creature subtypes given focus, switching the color focus for the tribes in shadowmoor diluted the card pool, and the Tribal card type was a total bust.

Innistrad is usually held as tribal set design done well.

Something i made a while back when trying to play with Colorless mana on colored cards

Okay /ccg/, I have a question about Morph and alternate conditions for turning things face-up.

I know you can alternately cost Morph to require discard or something that's not mana, but what about having it become available when you meet some other condition? Say, when the face-down creature deals combat damage to a player. Should I use Morph or make a new mechanic? My gut tells me that I'd be better off making a new mechanic, but I thought I'd ask. I'm pretty sure trying to make something morph off a trigger isn't kosher, so I'd have to find another way. I was considering making a keyword that let you cast something for 3 as a 2/2, same as Morph, but then tying the "face-up" clause to an ability word or something, so you could have it be a trigger or a cost, with the shared "theme" of the ability word being turning the card face-up. Seems a touch wordy, and I dunno if it's worth it just to make things morph in more varied ways. Or maybe it'd be neat? Hard to say, so I figured I'd ask.

By nature of being face-down, the creature has no abilities and there is no way to really check what it's reverse-side abilities are. If you want conditional flips, just use transform.

>702.36e Any time you have priority, you may turn a face-down permanent you control with a morph ability face up. This is a special action; it doesn’t use the stack (see rule 115). To do this, show all players what the permanent’s morph cost would be if it were face up, pay that cost, then turn the permanent face up. (If the permanent wouldn’t have a morph cost if it were face up, it can’t be turned face up this way.) The morph effect on it ends, and it regains its normal characteristics. Any abilities relating to the permanent entering the battlefield don’t trigger when it’s turned face up and don’t have any effect, because the permanent has already entered the battlefield.
tl;dr, no you can't have it be anything other than a cost, although you can make that cost anything that would be valid in a cost on any spell, from Sacrifice an attacking creature, to mana, to Tap 5 untapped enchantments you control.

I think Lorwyn by itself did Tribal fairly well. Morningtide muddies it up by adding in classes, and Shadowmoor made things weirder by adding in even more random creature types and focusing on colors instead.

Kinda beast tribal

reeeeeeeee

>no abilities
How do you morph it then? I was glossing over the rules for Morph and it didn't say no abilities, just no color, type, always 2/2, etc. I might have missed it, to be fair. I was just skimming.

The reason I don't use DFCs is that I want the actual creature's nature to be completely obscured, and DFCs show P/T and all that in the corner, so it kinda spoils that. I fussed with it a bit, but couldn't find a way to do it that I liked. I also tried DFCs because I could do noncreature stuff, which I also wanted, but I didn't see a good way to make it work like I wanted in the creature aspect of things, unfortunately. I did try though.

Yeah I saw that as I browsed the Morph rules (which I probably just should have done instead of asking), so it pretty much answers my question. I'd have to make a new mechanic.

Ew

Oops, I missed the part where it said "no text" which of course means "no abilities". Derp. Still a bit confused how Morph works in the rules, but I guess I'll see if rule 707 sheds any light on things.

What is the point? Also seems like it doesn't mesh at all with flashback; how does it work with Snappy, for instance?

Noice

I'm kinda interested in doing a set where cards like this would exist. Making it worthwhile might be too annoying to keep track of though, since it demands a llorwyn like set up which is what started NWO in the first place.

Another

I can't really gauge this thing's power level. Seems pretty strong, but not sure if it limits itself enough.

there is nothing wrong with UEOT stuff; you only have to track it for one turn. The main issue is when you try to change types or add types on a permanent basis through instant or sorcery means. then you have to mess with counters and whatnot, and it's just not worth the bookkeeping unless it's really really well done.

>What is the point? Also seems like it doesn't mesh at all with flashback; how does it work with Snappy, for instance?
It is 100% functional under the rules, and works 100% with flashback.
When you attempt to cast a spell in the gy, for example with snap, it will check while in the gy to determine when it can be cast, which in this case is instant speed. It resolves as its original type, if its able to resolve and be cast. If it couldn't be "cast" such as with a land, it reverts to the last possible game state, which is with the land in the gy.
In other words, it allows any spell to function with snap, but can't play lands, although you could target them with snap.

That's cool then. How does it fit into your set?

which is why it's awful. Also it's an enchantment but you made it an artifact because ???

Ah, yeah, I was kinda being unclear. What I more meant is, to make the effect worthwhile, there needs to be a high enough density of lord type effects. "Soldiers have first strike" or "Warriors get +1/+1" and such.
Although I did try to make the cards playable ignoring the ability, but that's more my worry than the tracking of the subtype for one turn.

Should note that permanent spells would be exiled instead of going onto the battlefield which makes flashback pointless with it.

What a coincidence. I'm working on a tribal set right now, and I am using Lorwyn as a reference.

This is most of what I have so far, though I still have a lot to sort out as far as tribes go. Imps are tricky due to how many of them have flying, although I think they turned out rather well.

Not pure tribal, but class is almost the same thing.

I'm not really sure how this is different from 'Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player'

It adds one damage to every bit of noncombat damage you deal that turn. It'd double the damage from a grapeshot storm for example.

There are creatures in there without types. A 2 mana 1/3 flyer with haste in red seems really damn odd. Where are the devils for the Library Imp? For the top left one, it's "at the beginning of your upkeep" rather than "during." Fiery Impact needs rewording, I think. That's also a lot of imps.

It amplifies damage but does none itself.

They can exist, but they'll pretty much be draft fodder. A constructed tribal deck has little need to "turn-on" its creatures.

"KB2" is "Keyword Ability 2" and refers to convoke but with artifacts instead of creatures, I just haven't found a name for it yet. The reason why the wording on the first block isn't just "Whenever a nontoken Crystal you control dies" is because there are noncreature Crystals (only artifacts though). The activated ability functions both as a means of resurrection and minor token generation that can cushion its cost.

>There are creatures in there without types.

Thanks for catching that. Guess I was in a hurry.

>A 2 mana 1/3 flyer with haste in red seems really damn odd.

I wanted to have something a bit more stronger than the average imp. I might change it to a 2/2 and adjust the cost accordingly

>Where are the devils for the Library Imp?

The Devils are another tribe I'm working on. See pic related. I have all the ones I'm using settled on. Demons are also going to be another big one.

>For the top left one, it's "at the beginning of your upkeep" rather than "during."

Noted. It's part of a cycle I was planning.

>Fiery Impact needs rewording, I think.

I had a feeling about it. I'll take another look.

>That's also a lot of imps.

It's pretty much all the ones in the set. They're also one of the more populous tribes I'm going to include. I may need to tweak some numbers, but Imps probably should be quite numerous.

What's with all the flying at common and uncommon in red?

I like that in the cards you've shown devils matter to imps, but imps don't matter to devils.

Anti-Tribal!

Not really many options to do it otherwise. I would have liked to get more art of non-winged imps so I could keep things more on the ground, but I didn't find much.

Thanks. That's what I was aiming for, having the Imps be fodder and lackeys

Skulk seems like anti-synergy for a card that grows like that.

You could have some fun creating a new keyword mechanic for your imps that would be like flying, but not as powerful or color-pie breaking at common. I recommend a variation on super trample; the ability for a creature to assign it's combat damage as though it wasn't blocked. That's my two cents for ya, anyways.

Hmm...that might be a good call.

It could also really use escalate so that you can get both.

I like it

...oh god, that would be chaos to keep up to date on each creature if you start running anything with multiple creature types.

Not really, it's just a simple yes or no.

>
Image collages based on color and rarity. I have drafts of blue, white, and black finished.

He's a bit on the strong side but I think he'd still be printable as is.

I'm having trouble evaluating how strong this is. Tempted to make it Scry 2, but I don't really know how powerful card selection is.

I've been trying to think of a good use for that artwork for ever. You've done a really good job - what looks at first glance to be the main ability is almost trinket text, and what remains (the totem armor) fits pretty well into black. This is going straight into my "bitchin custom cards" folder.

I feel like this was born to either be a split card or an escalate/entwine card. Any reason why it isn't?

It's always strange seeing cards from the other place here. Exotic planeswalkers are always cool, and this one, though simple, works pretty well. It's definitely toeing the line, powerlevel-wise, but I think you can get away with it. I'd love to play with him.
The name could use some work, though. Bulong, perhaps? It fits the oriental-style art better.

You've got some interesting mechanics here. I like the feel of Abundance - it gives a "build great things" vibe that fits an Egyptian themed set well. That said, despite the conditional ramp blue's had in the past few sets, I don't like Palace Slaves in blue. It could add CC in green?

>I don't like Palace Slaves in blue. It could add CC in green?
Because of the focus on big spells and going tall in the set, every color is going to have some form of mana interaction. Black has sac and death triggers for mana, red is going to have rituals, green is going to be green, white is going to have tax and denial stuff, and blue has this.
>Completed Farseer
Better selection in exchange for later draws. Seems like a very blue thing to do. I like it as-is; a nice solid uncommon with an interesting effect.

>CU01, CU02
Withdraw seems like the kind of mechanic I'd have to play with it to get a feel for how interesting/fun it is. I'd cost common withdraw highly, anyway.

>CU03, CU04, CU05
At first it seemed to me that Abundance doesn't fit in blue, but blue does aspire to perfection and to achieve great things. Definitely seems like a black - maybe Sultai - mechanic overall.

>CU06, CU08
Both are excellent designs - I particularly like the way you explore the design space opened up by evergreen Scry and Prowess with Adherent. I doubt these would be printed at common under NWO, but one of the luxuries of a custom set is that you don't have to appeal to new players.

>CU07
This should probably target.

>CU09
Might be too good in Limited at common. I don't play a lot of draft, though, so take this with a pinch of salt.

>CU10
Could be more interesting/flavorful if it affected all creatures. Fine as is, though.

>CU11, CU05, CU13
Any reason these don't check for "a spell with converted mana cost 5 or greater"? Also, Scholarly Insight seems very strong when cost-reduced - make it 4UU, and cost [4] less instead? Makes it less swingy.

>CU12
Excellent realization of the flavor in mechanics.

>CU14
Augment is a promising mechanic, but this could be worded in a more simple manner - "whenever you cast a spell, you may pay 1U. If you do, tap target creature". Not identical, but very close. There's no real problem with the card - just something to consider. No need for excess complexity.

Overall, I'm impressed with the rigor you're showing in your design. Flavor seems to work well, too. Have you made any other sets?

Artist credit.

This would probably push Zoo to tier 1 in Modern.

Thanks for all of the feedback, user! You make good points, and I'll consider what you've said.
>Have you made any other sets
Two, I made a block around exile and time counter mechanics. Pic related for set symbols.
>Crusader
Clean design, I really like the use of hybrid in the ability and the offensive/defensive trade-off. Again, another really nice uncommon.

I didn't realize you'd finished your second set, time-user.
If you want more feedback, I'd advise posting bits of your set on /r/custommagic.

>I didn't realize you'd finished your second set, time-user.
Yeah! A while back now. I can always repost if you're interested in seeing where it ended up; it's in huge collages, so it takes up minimal space.
>/r/custommagic
Never been. Is it any good?
>Inciter of Passion
Now there's a card I haven't seen in a while. Still a fan, as always.

Basically what you've hit on is why Morph has to be a Special Action rather than an ability.

The face down card has no text, so there's no way to be able to pay the cost before the other side is shown to confirm the cost, which is why you can't respond to a Morph because at that point it's already face up.

There could easily be another ability that turnEd things face up as a special action (Like Manifest).

I haven't been on these threads in at least a year, and here's someone posting one of my cards. That's flattering.

How hard would you like to scoop to Rest in Peace?

If you make him return a random card from your graveyard to your hand (See Deadbridge Chant), you don't have to preserve graveyard order.

Preserving graveyard order is awful. Don't make people do it.

The creature type here feels off.

Skeletons almost invariably (Always in Modern border, there are some weird outliers from the past as always) have a way to regenerate, return to play or otherwise come back to life.

Lich-type creatures are typed as Zombies in Magic - perhaps that would be more appropriate here (Nekusar is a good example here.)

Honestly, it's a cool enough effect that for EDH purposes I'd like to see him as a UB card, and it fits his effect well too.

Fair points.

Decided to add a stinger for RiP, Leyline or Relic scenarios that could even be something fun to build towards.

I think Lorwyn-Shadowmoor a lot more than Innistrad when it comes to tribal. With Innistrad, tribal was there, but it didn't really feel like a focus. It was more mini-tribal, kinda like how they did it with Minotaurs in Theros. The color switch didn't really help, but I am glad they kept the main color for each tribe.

Classes are still creature types. Does that not count as tribal for some reason?

I'd like to address some of your points more specifically now that I have some more time.
>CU07
>This should probably target.
It does target. "Up to two other target. . ."
>Any reason these don't check for "a spell with converted mana cost 5 or greater"?
The set is being built around a theme of "big spells matter" or "cost matters." I didn't want to make it super slow or durdly, though, so a lot of cards have additional or alternate cost mechanics, which don't change a card's CMC. I wanted these abilities to trigger based on the actual amount of mana used so that they could work with the alternate and additional cost cards.
>Augment
I worded it as such an additional cost so that it would work with the "cost matters" cards. Yours is definitely simpler, but wouldn't work for that purpose.

I hope this clears up why I made some of my design decisions, and thanks again for all of the feedback!

Replace all instances of "you have" with "there are"

Wow, I had no idea you were Time user. Have to say though, really not liking where you're going with this one. The whole "5 or more" thing feels weird and clunky. Ritual and Ambush seem incredibly uninspired.

Whoops. Fixed.

These are all really strong for their costs.

>White

A 2/4 flyer for 4 is basically a card I would never cut from a limited deck ever. The potential to add lifelink is a good bonus but the card is strong without it. Double white in the cost might be a good way to go.

>Blue

I think this is in a good place. A 2/1 for 2 is solid filler, and this rewards you well for drafting spells.

>Black

It's only recently that black started getting 2/2s with no downside at common. A double black cost might be good, or some other tweak. This ishould a really premium common in black.

>Red

Red actually tends to have below curve commons to compensate for the power of burn in aggressive decks. I would make this a 4/4 or even a 4/3.

>Green

Just as a 3/3 I would never cut this from a limited deck. Make it a 3/2 and we're talking.

I'm sorry to hear that, COanon. For ritual and ambush, I wanted abilities that would be simple on paper but fun in execution. Hopefully I can get it there.
>The whole "5 or more" thing feels weird and clunky.
It's a bit strange and different, certainly. I wanted to play with additional and alternate costs this set, and so I'm exploring how to encourage them and make casting them matter in the context of the set. It's still very early in the set's life, so if I feel that it isn't working out further on, I'll change it.
>Billy Kaplan
Lots of fun combo potential, very UR. I like it. I like the choice you have between players here, that's a new twist on this type of ability that I haven't seen yet.

>white
I made the white one as a reference to Seraph of Dawn.
However, double white or 4W is doable if it's half as busted as seraph of dawn.

>blue
Thanks. Spells will be a bit higher in this set then normal at higher rarities. Hopefully it doesn't make it two good.

>black started getting 2/2s with no downside at common
I thought that was red that was recent. We've had black grizzly bears since Original innistrad right?

For black, In shadows block we got two strictly better 2/2's for 1B, which is why I put it a 1B.

However this may be pushed to 2B to a 2/3 or 2/2 depending on what the set requires. I'm aiming for the set to be as slow.fast as khans was.

I made it a 5/4 as red got a 5/4 in shadows block at common with upside. However,power level wise you are absolutely right that it could easily be a 4/4 or 4/3.

>green
Good point. As long as it toughness is above 1 I have no problem tweaking it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Classes still count as Tribal, but it gets difficult to support both in the same set. Lorwyn went from having 7 tribes to worry about, to Morningtide trying to add cards to Shamans, Soldiers, Warriors, Wizards, Druids, Knights, and Rogues.

They basically doubled the number of creature types they were trying to track and support, and it just feels like it loses focus.

Well, good luck with your set. I'll try to provide feedback when I have the time, which unfortunately isn't right now. Got to work for now.

>Billy
Ah, thanks. I like the ability, and really like that new Dragon from EMN and how it makes spot removal incredibly painful. Though I have to ask, what do you think this should cost? The costs I have up are really just placeholders, and I would like to cut down on them, though obviously not to OP levels.

Most of them were at "Strong common" levels. They're cards I would be hoping to see and that would go on to influence my picks for the rest of the draft.

They're not completely absurd at the levels they're at, but be aware that they're very good desirable cards.

It's not that they're busted, just that they will have some impact upon your draft environment by existing.

Fair point.
Thanks for the great feedback.

>Invoke

I think this is really cool and evocative as a mechanic, but how does it look on different cards?

I really want the creature to have the same trigger for every card, to ease playability ("Oh, you have that evoke guy. Uh. When does it happen? When he attacks? Okay right. Wait what about that other one you already played? When he deals damage. Right. But only to a creature? Fuck let me write this down.") I would standardise it if I could to either all of them triggering on EtB, or all of them triggering on attack.

Also, some of them could be potentially more valuable as an instant than as a creature, if their body is mediocre. Just as one or two in the set it would be neat to do the cost in the opposite direction if it's justified.

As of now two invoke common cards back side are Invokers, one is on combat damage and one is flavor based but is being upgraded to uncommon. (Pic related.)

Only 4-6 common invokers are being made to keep with the number of DFC's in a regular set.

Weird off-tribal sort of card. I really liked how Hearthstone did "Dragons matter", although Khans block did a little of it too.

I have art that I've been trying to word into "Two creatures fight, but yours doesn't take damage if you control a Dragon" but the wording is super nasty and doesn't fit on a card.

Which would you prefer to see?

All 10 pairs of flashback cards at common/uncommon/only ally/only enemy/or a different mix?

I'm sorry, but I really don't like this. Either the function on the front and back should be very closely (and consistently) tied together like with Frigid Volley/Frostcaster Mage, or it should be linked in flavor but only loosely tied mechanically like this card.

The point is to make things as easy as possible for players. If they are all going to be completely different, make them understand that. But if you're going to have one be a spell on one side and a creature that casts the same spell on the other I will expect every Invoke card to work that way because it feels intuitive to me.

>Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
>The creature you control gains indestructible until end of turn if you control a dragon.

It depends a lot on the other cards in your set, though I would personally say enemy color.

Good point. I'll see if I can make the common dfc/invoke cards all have the same trigger and keep different triggers at uncommon, rare or mythic.

I don't plan on having any ETB triggers for the back side as the front side is too close to an ETB.

I also think making them all sorceries at common would help make them more intuitive.

Can I get the art for this?

Triple color flashback costs.

Settle an argument for some of us assholes over at the snowflake thread. This card's OP as shit, right?

Should say creature card by the way, I'll have to fix it.

>4 mana
Get a 7/7 with flying, haste, and indestructable

That's a yes.

The +1 isn't black at all.
The -8 Is barely black, and is only black for the -1/-1 counter effect.
A 7/7 with flying, FS, wither, indes, and hast is not ballanced at 4 mana. Oh yeah + putting a -1/-1 counter on a creature.
This jank needs to be scrapped.

Butcher Orgg on steroids.

>Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. For each creature card put into a graveyard this way, put a 2/2 blue and black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
>Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Until end of turn, you may cast instant and sorcery cards put into a graveyard this way and you may spend mana as thought it were mana of any color to cast those spells.
>Search target player's library for any number of nonland cards and exile them. Until end of turn, you may cast spells exiled this way and you may spend mana as thought it were mana of any color to cast those spells. Creature spells cast this way are Zombies in addition to their other types.
This card is ass, the design is ass, and it looks awful for some reason. Apply yourself, sempai.

Pretty strong but the amount of mana you have to sink into him to get real value makes it fine.

This isn't a green creature. Everything about this card could be mono white.
Also that effect on a 2/3 body for 2 isn't balanced. Even a 2/3 for 2 with pro black is pretty powerful.

What's next? Creature Rest in Peace?

Really cool concept! Would like his last ability at -4 to draw 2 instead of 3. 3 is obviously nicer but waiting that long sucks.