MTG Modern General

Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites Edition

What cards from EMN do you think will have any form of impact on Modern? Please try to leave the spirit tribal shitposting in school.

And don't forget to leave home without your Rest in Peaces!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Nice Sprites

youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

Thread theme song.

>Run Pyromancer in the board then
Why would you want to do that? Not only is your SB cramped because you're playing BWR, what MU does YP improve? Who would you board YP in against?

meant for

>what MU does YP improve?
It improves your mainboard's game plan of spaffing spells that vomit out tokens. It's a card you want to run but it switches their removal on. Game 2 they're going to board out their removal, letting you bring him in. Your spells all generating an extra body on top of him being on curve himself is just all value. I'd bring him in against any deck that ran creatures on the ground. If nothing else you can chump with his tokens for pure value. Jund, Merfolk, Affinity doesn't like tokens, Zoo, Hatebears, Dredgevine. Fair decks in general can't handle that much value, especially after they've boarded out their removal.

The point is that boarding in YP is really stupid because you're still going to get blown out by the sweepers they're boarding in.

"Force them to have the sweeper" is a main deck plan. If you need to reach for the SB to try and enact threat saturation, your tokens deck isn't gonna go anywhere at all.

>Jund, Affinity, Hatebears
Are already good MU's, YP will be just an unnessecary win more card against those.

>Merfolk
YP doesn't do anything here, it's still one of the worst MU's for tokens and YP doesn't do anything to improve it.

>Zoo, Dredgevine
Pyromancer doesn't do anything here. Zoo MU depends on the lifegain cards you draw/run in the SB. Dredgevine depends on you being able to draw RIP or buffing your tokens beyond conflagrate range. If dredge doesn't see conflagrate/you land an early game intangible virtue you don't need pyromancer because your normal tokens will be enough. If they do see conflagrate/you don't draw intangible YP won't do anything.

So is Finks -> Evolution into Sigarda the new Splinter Twin autowin against Jund? Except in Green, requiring 2 removal spells in 1 turn to hose, and sorcery speed?

>Storm is a popular archetype, but R&D would really like it more if it were a creature deck
>Don't worry about it, I've got an idea

So what EMN cards are you looking to use now?

How am I such a brilliant genius?

haha no

>Liliana the Last Hope
user, you are super fucking baka.

I'm still not sure I understand how Storm=Worse than the Holocaust, but a fucking Spell-based Token Generator that gains damage per spell, and whose tokens also gain damage from spells is absolutely fine. Fucking R&D are niggers.

I'm going to try mind's dilation as a 2 of in my storm deck, as well as harness the storm from shadows as a 2 of. Idk why but it feels like wizards is attempting to print a lot of support for a deck which they traditionally put a lot of hate on.

And another card that springs to mind is vessel of volatility from SOI, although it is far to slow to be actually useful. Its as if someone in R&D really likes storm and really wants it to be a thing but the powerlevel of standard prevents them from going balls deep with it.

In any case I did not think to try bedlam reveler, which looking at it now it seems like the kind of card which would fit pretty good into storm, so I'll have to try it out.

They don't like Storm or Dredge because they don't "feel" congruent with how Magic is normally played. They hate them because they're different.

Making creatures or having creatures become big and swinging those creatures, well now that's Magic we can all understand!

>mind's dilation as a 2 of in my storm deck

You're a madman.

Dredge and storm are the scum of the earth according to ol' marky mark, and yet here we have some half-baked support for storm.

You're goddamn right.

this deck looks like it folds to control and tron

there are two decks contained within that image

Retard Pod and Esper Midrange. Has Veeky Forums really deteriorated into shitposting this quickly? We just got some legitimately good cards.

inb4 Spirits retards start arguing with each other.

This thread has everything done wrong. Never make Modern Generals again.

Next you will wonder why this thread is fucking ass.

>it's the autistic OP that thinks first post matter
Nobody cares about the greentext questions. Maybe he could have chosen a better pic but if you can't find the thread when it sats Modern General then I don't know what to tell you.

Merfolk main board is better to go full rape train aggro goldfish, right? That means 12 lords (3 Reej was popular for awhile), CC, Silvergill, MoW, Vials, and Seas. Assuming 20 lands, that leaves 8 spots.

What is the best fit for a blind meta?

It's really 4 slots because of Harbinger or Tidebinder. Normally, I'd say TBM min the SB, but I've seen a lot of lists running 4 main.

I've been running a lone Kira(2 in SB) and Image with 2 Dismembers, but I've been thinking of maybe going full ham and running 4 image with control elements in the SB like Chalice.

Any ideas?

When the fuck are they banning Temur Battle Rage

Tips to improve my modern goblin?

That's an odd Goblin Grenade mod you have. Almost makes it look like Brute Force.

well the eldrich evolution one, I assumed the bottom one was a joke

It works better for me than Goblin Grenade. Sometimes I really need to save Piledriver from bolt or other dangers.

Then run Apostle's Blessing.
Bonus points: if they try to burn/destroy the Piledriver before combat, you can make it almost unblockable.

dude play goblin grenade

A set of four Goblin Grenades can literally kill someone for four mana.

>turn one goblin guide; 18 HP
>turn two goblin guide; 14 HP
>Turn three, swing, cast 2 goblin grenades
>????
>PROFIT

Goblin Ringleader + Goblin Matron

I'm kinda shocked nobody is excited for Grapple with the Past.

Shame about the 2 cmc but I'm definitely running two in my rug delver. Essentially thought scour yourself then grab goyf back for gas

>2 cmc

Throw in some counterspells maybe?

at instant speed

Yes yes, waste your two open mana for grapple instead of counter spell and leave your delicious goyfs or Jeff Goldblum open to my removal

This. If it was sorcery I wouldn't look twice.

However, rug decks would love this card and can still hold up removal and counters.

>play another goyf from grapple
Doesn't seem so profitable for you

>for (you)

Pls. This is a meme free general.

If you want more threats in your sideboard you should be going for ones that don't get blown out by Night of Soul's Betrayal, Zealous Persecution, Engineered Explosives, Anger of the Gods, etc. Think Batterskull, Kalitas, Tasigur, or Baneslayer Angel.

>used to use nahiri as the op all the time
>a standard planeswalker
>someone switches, uses the art of a standard creature
>standard general has the same creature as their op image
Fuck man. Come on

You're right, I really want all those pictures of Snap, Liliana and Goyf back in the OP.

>caring about the picture
why?

Hey Veeky Forums
Rate my shitty sideboard for my grixis moon, my main is bad against zoo, how do I fix it?

>ricochet trap
Why? This is something you run if you're desperate and not playing blue in the deck.

Supposedly it attracts standardfags and new players

See It's also may easier to see which thread is which scrolling through the catalogue.

Zoo requires it's heirarche to survive and for you to not hit it's mana too soon. If youre trying to out-creature zoo, you will lose. Theirs are just better.
You need to hit their mana, face (with burn) and have a sweeper like damnation

Anger of the Gods? Kalitas?

Ye supposedly but it never actually happens. No one comes in here and say "hey I just opened the card in the OP". What we get is casual fags that post unrelated decks, but there were just as many of them back when the OP literally said "competitive discussion".

I know I'm sort of a part of it now, but I don't see why people always needs to complain about the OP pictures because it's completely irrelevant for the rest of the thread.

Again,it's also easier to see which thread is which while scrolling through the catalogue

We do get people who post their casual brew asking for advice or people who post about the wrong format occasionally, I doubt the OP pic plays such a big factor though

I got this card in a pack recently. What modern decks use this card?

Look it's the OP autist trying to prove a point

Have anger in the main. Kalitas sounds good though, thank you.

I have Anger in my main, I didn't even consider Damnation, but I'll definitely consider that.

In the mirror it helps with AV, and since there's a turns guy in my Meta it basically just beats him.

Would this be better user?

Yes. It's funny

Not me, sorry. Just some obvious shit poster

I'd almost prefer damnation, it's better against eldrazi and zoo (both have creatures full of 4 toughness and greater) and it hits anglers or tasigur. Affinity can't Dumpty all their counters on a body to buff it out of anger range

mausoleum wanderer is a big pain in my ass

you must have a small ass

But Preordain is banned in Modern.

how nu r u

user, that sound you just heard was the joke going over your head.

are you pretending to be retarded or do you honestly don't know what that picture is from

IGNORE SHITPOSTING

POST YOUR CURRENT DECK
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/

I didn't think you could cast sorceries after combat?

>POST YOUR CURRENT DECK

3 Snapcaster Mage

4 Path to Exile
2 Spell Snare
1 Spell Burst
4 Think Twice
2 Remand
2 Logic Knot
1 Blessed Alliance
4 Esper Charm
4 Cryptic Command
2 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Secure the Wastes

3 Supreme Verdict

4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Watery Grave
1 Godless Shrine
3 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb
2 Glacial Fortress
1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard: 15
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Duress
2 Dispel
2 Condemn
1 Celestial Purge
3 Vendilion Clique
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Baneslayer Angel

It's called your second main phase user.
[Spoiler] you fucking faggot [/spoiler]

5 Planeswalkers:
3 Nahiri
2 Lily

12 Creatures:
4 Wall
2 kalitas trator of ghet
1 Emrakul aeons torn
1 tasigur of golden fang
2 goblin dark dweller
2 Soulfire grandmaster

23 Spells:
4 Lingering souls
4 path to exile
2 lightning helix
2 Thoughtseize
4 inquisition of koz
4 bolt
2 terminate
1 Kolaghans

20 Lands:
1 blood crypt
1 godless shrine
1 Sacred Foundry
4 bloodstained mire
4 marsh flats
2 blackcleave
2 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 shambling vents
1 Lavaclaw reaches
1 vault of the archangel

9 Sideboard (WIP):
1 Torpor Orb
1 Grafdiggers Cage
2 Wrath of God
1 Stoney Silence
1 Molten Rain
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Kataki

I'm considering Bloodmoon for sideboard

If you're gonna run Wog, find a slot for another plains.
Otherwise, switch to Damnation.

What's the ratchet bomb do?

>Not Bowie
To the trash it goes.

Post a link of fuck off.

Cut down to 2 Brute Force, or even one. The combat trick is nice, but you really don't want to overcommit on pump spells. 2 Goblin Grenades are a must IMO, the card is nuts and one of the main reasons to go tribal goblins. If you need room cut some Mogg Fanatic or more Brute Force.

Really good cards in goblins: wardriver and rabblemaster. You already have a lot of 2 drops and 3 drops so it's tough to find a spot for it, maybe in place of some Mogg war marshals. The rabblemaster is about on par with chieftan, but I'd definitely make room for a wardriver since he's basically another bushwhacker.

Boardwipes elves of their mana dorks.

Pls go. Heres your (you)

>Boardwipes elves of their mana dorks.
Engineered Explosives does that and is way better at handling higher CMC cards.

Engineered explosives hits more than elves and is faster, also I won't leave fuck you

3 Auriok Champion

3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Liliana of the Veil

4 Bitterblossom
4 Intangible Virtue

3 Spectral Procession
4 Lingering Souls
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Thoughtseize
2 Timely Reinforcements

4 Path to Exile
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Zealous Persecution

4 Marsh Flats
4 Godless Shrine
3 Isolated Chapel
2 Fetid Heath
2 Shambling Vent
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Windbrisk Heights
3 Swamp
3 Plains

SB (or, what it was last time I played with this deck):
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Secure the Wastes
2 Duress
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Rest in Peace
2 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Sundering Growth
3 Stony Silence

[spoirler]Rabblemaster[/spoiler]

Kill self

Daily reminder that ratchet bomb no longer kills delver of secrets.
Daily reminder that wizards ruthlessly nerfed the most balanced card in mtg history.

All this autism

It's just convenient in case I'm against elves. Sure there's probably better cards but this one works just fine for me and I already have it so I don't think I'll be spending 25 bucks for the same effect when my meta doesn't require a better ratchet bomb.

Looks pretty solid. How do you do with it?

Justify modern for me.

>buy a box of standard every set
>300 a year
>standard deck is updated everytime
>new decks every time

vs

>modern deck lists update every time a card is released
>they also cost anywhere from 100-3k
>only 7 decks in the format that are viable
>tier 1 decks can crush anything
>a literal reactive ban list that is catered towards whiners

>>modern deck lists update every time a card is released
>>only 7 decks in the format that are viable
>>tier 1 decks can crush anything
You fell for the memes, buddy.

I can tell you have little to no experience with this game

>buy a box of standard
Lmao

Playing some Mardu against a Kiki Chord list running a Nahiri package today. Went like 4-2 mainboard. Sorin, Lord of Innistrad is a fucking house.

Do, out of the cards I pulled with my two EMN boxes, I put these together and would like advice on making a deck out of them. I also have 4 Oath of Nissa that will be going in. What does anyone else think that should be added or subtracted to the decklist? And no, I won't be buying $40 Seasons.

See

That clearly ain't standard, guy.

> Kiora, Crashing Wave
> noting that I don't want to dish out for Doubling Seasons
> standard
This is a modern build.

The meta right now is like fifteen tier 1-2 decks that are all interchangeable and a billion fringe tier 3 decks that can meme on the tier 1-2 decks. It's pretty diverse at the moment.

U/R delver just got buffs, Spirit memers get part two: queller boogaloo, Zombie memers get a tiny bit of love, Waste Not memers gets a neat land, black and white get a cool escalate spell, and there's a couple gems that could find a home (whispers of emrakul, that mythic bear guy, nahiris wrath)

Elfdritch Elvolution is a serious meme, another gem added to the list of tier 3 memes.

Modern as it stands has no solid telegraphical metagame and it often revolves around rock-paper-scissors of good matchups and bad matchups, but it's really diverse and there's a lot of room for brewing (which is what I personally enjoy about modern)

I usually do ok. Mostly just hoping to dodge the bad matchups. Often top 8, only won it all once.

Last FNM I managed to get to, I went 4-1.
Beat a Zombie shitbrew, Affinity, Burn and Grixis Delver.
Lost to Tron, which is the worst matchup for it. Might try and cram a couple Ghost Quarters in somewhere.