Warhammer 40k General

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
>currently 404'd
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Owning models makes you a WAACfag

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/?5w626gcb3ikcxxf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hey guys I´m the editor in chief of the Angry Initiative, an attempt at improving internal and external balance between codices as well as connecting the fluff and the crunch where this does not conflict with the main purpose of increasing balance.

Here is the WIP CSM codex I´ve been working on, I would love to hear some feedback.

The main things I wanted to do with this was:
>Implement a system of differentiating between different warbands and legions
>Buff CSM to the level of a SM CAD without any grav.

You might want to ask why the format is so shit. That is because I ported it directly from 1d4chan, blame mediawiki, not me for that fucking up how things look. I´ll look into improving the look of the codex once I´ve gotten further.

Requesting The beast must die novel?

>Owning models makes you a WAACfag

I'm happy that my waacfag tantrum make into a title.

For a 1500 points game, general list. Any suggestions for the remaining points.

+++ Inquisition (835pts) +++

++ Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (835pts) ++

+ HQ (135pts) +

Saint Celestine (135pts)

+ Troops (300pts) +

Battle Sister Squad (150pts) [2x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Flamer, Battle Sister with Heavy Flamer]
··Immolator [Dozer Blade, Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer]
··Sister Superior [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Flamer]

Battle Sister Squad (150pts) [2x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Flamer, Battle Sister with Heavy Flamer]
··Immolator [Dozer Blade, Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer]

+ Fast Attack (400pts) +

Dominion Squad (200pts) [4x Dominion with Meltagun]
··Dominion Superior [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Plasma, Upgrade to Veteran Dominion Superior]
··Immolator [Dozer Blade, Laud Hailer, Twin-Linked Multi-Melta]

Dominion Squad (200pts) [4x Dominion with Meltagun]
··Dominion Superior [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Plasma, Upgrade to Veteran Dominion Superior]
··Immolator [Dozer Blade, Laud Hailer, Twin-Linked Multi-Melta]

Continuing over from last thread: How do you deal with heavy armor as IG without Vanquishers and heavy weapons teams? Because even with a Chimera getting close to the enemy with melta guns and Veterans feels like suicide because they'll inevitably be charged and killed afterwards or just shot to death. And sorry if the math doesn't seem good on it I just like the Vanquisher because it has a long range,it's survivable,it's main gun is heavy which means it's other guns don't have to take snapshots and against targets like Land Raiders if it doesn't kill them can stop them from firing their weapons or getting close enough for the units inside to assault

>How do you deal with heavy armor as IG without Vanquishers and heavy weapons teams
Lots of sentinels
Knights
Warhound Titan
Shadowsword
Vendettas
deepstriking suicide melta squads

In the broader sense, Guard have 3 major ways of dealing with enemy heavy armor:

>close range anti-tank
This is mostly melta, either in gun or bomb form. Bombs not so much, largely due to shit Guard WS and due to the recent nerfs.
>Long range anti-tank
Lascannons, LOTS of Lascannons, Sentinels, Vendettas, Tauros Venators, HWT's, anything that can carry them. Guard are flimsy but they can bring a LOT of firepower for the points.
>Ordnance
Basilisks, Medusas, Manticores, and other heavy artillery. Instead of fishing for Explode results you pound the target into scrap with high-yield shells and missiles. Point-heavy and relatively slow, but reliable and VERY long-ranged.

I've been working out replacements for the crusade case lately, i think i found some i like, the pelican 1510 is a lot cheaper and easier to find (used) than the crudase case, and is around the same price
then i could also strap another smaller cheaper case on top of it for dice, craft tools, brushes, and paints
Hows everyone elses day going?

size* not same price

>Buff CSM to the level of a SM CAD without any grav.
So make them like Eldar, basically?

I don't think you should strive to make a Fandex as strong as the Space Marine codex. That is asking to get your fandex banned, since Marines are currently competing strongly in the top 3, and stand out as a strong contender for the #1 spot. Making another ridiculously OP codex isn't really good for the balance, either.

I might look into it. But they just seem kinda flimsy to me. But if I bring camo netting and Guardsmen for mobile cover on the arty it might be effective. Multi meltas or lascannons for the sentinels?
And I think I'll stick with the Vanquisher for now just because it's hard to pen the AV 14 on it and it's really good at killing a whole bunch of elite units because of all the AP2.

>Vulkan Hes'tan
>Vulkan He's Tan

(adding a tripcode for consistency)

Continuing the theoryhammer for the LRBT battlecannon from last thread, I have put together some graphics to help. I will walk through 2 scenarios with 2 outcomes each for the BC: an ideal dispersion, where the targets of the blast are pretty close together and in a rough circle, and a more realistic dispersion where the targets are staggered about unevenly and further apart. In each case, I will show 1 direct hit and one miss that scatters 4 inches off target.

Pic related is the direct hit on an ideal dispersion of MEQs. It nets 7 hits.

Are those roll20 tokens? is roll20 40k a thing?

Only elysian drop sentinels get multi-meltas
Lascannons.
Also consider this formation

Here is the same ideal dispersion after the shot scatters. For the scatter direction, I picked an angle neither perfect ( right across the line of the unit, still scoring lots of hits) nor perfectly wrong (the opposite direction, hitting as few targets as possible)

It gets 3 hits.

No I just made this in GIMP with stuff pulled off google images and from my roll20 textures folder

I have a question about WYSIWYG. I wanted to use the Cataphtactii Terminator Captian from the BaC box to represent a DAngels Company master in terminator armor to help distinguish him from the rest of my termies and give the army some flair. Do you think this would be acceptable? DAngels can't use the Cataphractii rules anyways so its not like I'm trying to pull something I just like the aesthetics

>tfw the rules of a model make you hesitant to buy a kit that you love

I don't even play that much but it's always in the back of my mind.

Now a more realistic dispersion, where the targets are staggered and spread out further. A direct hit now gets 6 hits, barely clipping the 6th model.

For sure, there's actually two other DA players at my LGS who took some 30k terminator suits to build their command squads way before there was the calth box let alone cataphractii rules. Makes sense that the DA especially would have a load of older suits lying around too.

I'll definitely look into it. Because it'll give my force a little more diversity then just tanks and infantry. Btw if I pen and immobilize say a Hammerhead with a Vanquisher would it still be able to jink?

Now we assume it scatters, again in a neutral direction neither ideal nor perfectly wrong. Only 3 hits.

To sum up:

ideal target direct hit: 7 hits
ideal target scatter: 3 hits

realistic target direct hit: 6 hits
realistic target scatter: 3 hits

Your mileage will vary based on the direction and intensity of the scatter in each individual case.

Still, this is about what I estimated in the last thread when I said that the LRBT would only reliably hit 5 targets on a direct hit (I was underestimating by maybe 1), and only 1-2 on a miss (I was underestimating by maybe 1).

This isn't that far off the punisher, which kills about that many MEQs with a volley from its turret:

20 shots
10 hits
6 wounds
2 kills

Combine this with the fact that the punisher is superior at stripping down lights vehicles, and yes, I feel confident it is better all-around than the LRBT

Whats in the 835 points of Inquisition?

Change the combi-plasma to combi-melta on doms, and heavy flamer to MM on the immo.

you only need 1 laud hailer since the squads will mostly be alpha striking the same area of the board.

to add onto this list : 3x Exorcist (375)
1 more dom squad (200 or so)

I'd also upgrade the immo to repressors on the Doms, since they can all fire without getting out that way.

Have you taken into account how the LRBT wounds on a 2+ against MEQ while the punisher is a 3+?

Thank you for the input I was worried

yes.

Here's more complete mathhammer:

punisher:
20 shots
10 hits
6.6 wounds
2.2 kills

LRBT:
(see experiment above)
3 hits, ignores armor
2.52 kills*

*assuming no cover save for the target

Would a dreadnought ever kneel to aim its weapon(s)?

Is there a loadout that this would make sense?

SM are only top tier while using their formations or grav spam though, which is not what I'm aiming for.

It's also a lot easier to buff all the bad codices than it is to nerf all the good codices. The amount of nerfs neccessary to bring horde Orks to the level of Necrons (high mid tier) is insanely high. It is much easier to nerf the tournament armies (grav spam, scat/knight spam, war convo, screamerstar and daemoncurion) to a lower level and then bring all other lists up.

SM contenders for the number one spot sure as shit aren't running CADs. And they're sure as shit running grav. Formations and grav are the two best things SM have going for them. Without those two I'd say SM are just good.

Having said that, that fandex is a hot mess. Thousand Sons have Preferred Enemy (Units that you are not in close combat with). Wtf just say they reroll 1s in shooting.

Night Lords have a special rule that lets you force night fighting for the whole game, but doesn't give them night vision.

All CSM get Eternal Crusader which lets you consolidate into a new combat... as a disorganized charge... and you can't attack... and you still take overwatch. Cool. I guess it saves you from a round of full BS shooting on the next turn, but what's the point of calling it a disorganized charge if you aren't attacking anyway, it's just bloated.

Also STR D Doombolt as a primaries is fucking retarded. As is the 35 point IW daemon hand cannon with STR D blasts.

I wonder how the range of the weapon would affect this testing? Because the 72" battle cannon can hit almost anything on a regular sized board it can see which means turn one it can fire and potentially cause wounds before the Punisher can get in range.

And do you know who would do better against FMC: the Exterminator or Punisher?

No.

No.

If it was a Slaaneshi dreadnought it would be on it's knees all the time.

Yah the plasma and the heavy flamer where fucks up, no idea why I would use plasmas with SoB

Model wise I run out of Rhino, unless I cannibalize my Black Templar Predator I only have 4 rhino chassis. (Rhinos that can be, Rhinos, Immolator, Repressor and Exorcist, the magic of GW using the same bloody tank for everything)

Nothing I'm looking what else to throw in. Tempted just to add my old Black Templars or count as SM with Librarians. Find some use to my old Land Raider Crusaders and fill them with Acolytes with Psykers for shit and giggles. Give them Demonology and summon my old metal daemonette.

++ Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (881pts) ++

+ HQ (135pts) +

Saint Celestine (135pts)

+ Troops (300pts) +

··Immolator [Dozer Blade, Twin-Linked Multi-Melta]

··Immolator [Dozer Blade, Twin-Linked Multi-Melta]

+ Fast Attack (446pts) +

Dominion Squad (223pts) [4x Dominion with Meltagun, Dominion with Simulacrum Imperialis, Repressor [FW]]
··Dominion Superior [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Melta, Upgrade to Veteran Dominion Superior]

Dominion Squad (223pts) [4x Dominion with Meltagun, Dominion with Simulacrum Imperialis, Repressor [FW]]
··Dominion Superior [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Melta, Upgrade to Veteran Dominion Superior]

Probably not. The dreadnought is designed to be a stable firing platform while moving.

Maybe if it was compensating for damage

Unless you put a puppy on the base and the Dread wanted to pet it. There is no reason for the Dread to kneel.

LRR with psy flame and psybolt ammo gets you S7 TL assault cannon and two S7 flame storm cannons. Bring some BT assault terminators and stick them inside.

Didn't Psybolt get rewritten?

Kind of stop playing in third edition. Where Terminators were rather shit, so I'm not interested in getting terminators just for a list. But I like the idea for psybolts in a crusaders. Put a 15 man squad inside for happiness Or some Repentias and a Priest

I am putting together a graphic to illustrate why range isn't as important as you think it is

Where? Are you thinking of Psishock (in the latest Inquisition FAQ?)

What would you use for a puppy? Because I would totally convert that shit.

Ah, that's right. Psybolt is still in the Inquisition codex, just not the GK codex. I always forget because my local meta decided that was silly.

Night Lords are supposed to be a melee legion in my book, the night fighting rules give them cover, they don't get night vision because that would make them a ranged army.

You still get to attack after making a disordered charge, you just don't get the +1 bonus for charging. The rule is made entirely to counteract shooting armies, it is ententional that it is useless against melee armies.

I hadn't thought of relentless when I made the psychic powers. the hand cannon on the other hand comes with is 50 pts and has a decent chance of blowing your character to bits, it's range is also only 9" if you move and you do not have the relentless special rule.

A puppy miniature? in GW and FW models, out of the top my head, the little guy that carry the helmet for the Dark Angel Special character, a squig, ratling, Dark Eldar slave, some wood elf spirit thingies, a Skaven?

As a man who owns a Vindicator range is extremely important. That's why I love the Battle Cannon so much because time after time I've been shown that the 24" range just isn't good enough and I've only seen it perform well once.

Aren't there Khorne and Kroot doggos?

Yep it must be done. If you can make a text bubble with "He enjoys scratchies" even better.

Oh Emperor what happened to that dogs face?

Same reason that Dread's missing an arm.

Play with enough terrain so that you can hide it and/or assemble it as a stationary basilisk artillery piece which is significantly more durable.

Is Daemonic Incursion even worth doing? The benefits seem insane, but these core units are also insanely pricey.

What's the shorter ranged Str10 artillery piece called? I can't remember the name but I know that might be good for an arty army too.

This is the trap I see people fall into. They think about the comparative ranges and assume the battle is like pic related. Naturally, in a table with no terrain and where enemy targets are at maximum range, you are right - range is very important

1/2

It's worth it, some incursion lists have been topping tournaments. The Tzeentch one is probably not so good since Tzeentch powers aren't as good as the normal powers and you get more dice per point spent on ML 3 Tz Heralds. Notable cheese includes 8 units of Khorne dogs backed up by endless amounts of Screamers.

OK, haven't been able to find AbusePuppy's Tyranid codex.

Anybody have the link to his Google Doc? Lost my bookmark a while back.

Guys, I thought of something while looking in my IF folder. The old Black Templars hated psykers right, but would that hate extent to Grey Knights and Librarians of the same geneline? The Knights are the Emperor's most blessed sons, and the latter are their own brothers. Am I being stupid or would the Templars be the ones stupid here?

However, you aren't taking some important things into account:

>Most of the time, your enemy won't be on the edge of the table, he will be deployed somewhere closer up to use terrain or to lessen the distance to charge you. Some units like broadsides will be at max range, sure, but rules aren't defined by exceptions.

>after the first turn, or even during the first turn if you go second, a lot of targets get closer with their movement phase. Likewise, your own units drive closer if needs be.

>Terrain will obscure a lot of the distant board anyway, so unless you are indirect firing your increased range won't always help you

A more realistic board setup is pic related, turn 1 at deployment.

And here is turn 2's shooting phase. Most of the things you both want to shoot and can shoot are in your 36" inch range anyway, so really how important are the extra 48"? I would argue not so much, especially since long range BC shots will probably be through cover and gives cover saves to the target anyway.

I found a text document version of it from 2014. It doesn't have any of the FW or Shield of Baal units in it.

mediafire.com/?5w626gcb3ikcxxf

How can someone manage to take CSM and make them even less interesting?

I mean, you didn't even fix the Icons.

Well IIRC the Knights are also supposed to be pretty much the absolute most secret weapon the Imperium has, to the point that they kill/mindwipe people who fight beside them. As a prestigious 2nd Founding Chapter the BTs have probably fought beside them before, but could have been mindwiped afterward

FUCK I am stupid. I didn't scale the range circles right, they are half as large as they should be. I will post the fixes.

fixed turn two range comparison. I scaled the range circles so that the diameter of the circle was the weapon range instead of the radius of the circle. Herpa-fucking-derp-derp.

A Marshall and the High Marshall should be allowed to know about the Knights without being mindwiped so they can call them later in case they need assistance again in the future right? Or would the Grey Knights think that the Templars' attention span cares about nothing that isn't eternally crusading, and not mind wipe them?

The Medusa Siege gun. Bear in mind that it has two profiles that are mutually exclusive, 36" S10 AP2 Large blast and 48" S10 AP1 Small Blast Armorbane. On the vehicular platform I'd probably keep the stock profile because you can move to get into range, but on immobile batteries I always take the armorbane shells because its incredibly easy to play around it and make it so it doesn't shoot at all the entire game.

Is this a specific symbol or just some generic Imperium symbol?

Nemesis Dreadknight vs. Flying Daemon Prince;

>Buy Gatling Psycannon
>place Dreadknight in Reserves
>Bring in via Gate of Infinity/ Deep Strike
>Get off Force and Foreboding
>Unload all 12 Shots (Add Prescience for lolz?)
>Daemon dies via Instant Death

Are there any flaws in this plan?
Because it seems like a pretty quick way to kill these fuckers.

Looks like it could be an IF symbol.

Reposting my question
How does Veeky Forums feel about home brew chapters with custom rules?
I was thinking of brewing a Salamanders child chapter where each marine is I1, A1, S5, T5, and if they don't keep moving they turn to stone.
Their geneseed made their flesh into near stone, and if they don't keep moving their flesh solidifies into stone.
Probably a shitty idea.

Dreadknights don't get foreboding IIRC

>How does Veeky Forums feel about home brew chapters with custom rules?
They are fine in theory, but most of them are usually shitty ideas.

>Probably a shitty idea.
Indeed.

Yes, I know. I was going to use a Librarian for powers.

nvm, I found it to be a Centurion Honour

your opponent keeps his entire army outside this range for the whole game?

Then you win.

Essentially. I think I got two shots off before it was destroyed. Fighting tau sucks...

Having it get blown up turn 2 is a different story than saying your opponent just sits outside its range the entire game. Now I believe you.

Should I run 2 squads of 58 grots as a meatshield unit in 1500?
They only take up sub 250 points and when they get widdled down/ dont need to meatshield anymore I can put them on an objective near them to hold it.

>T6 bikes with S10 Pfists

It was destroyed turn 4 actually, turn 1 and 2 didn't shoot because lolout of range, although with cover and such I don't remember it doing too much. It got killed by that forge world riptide that gets more hits at higher strength the bigger you are.

Well they'd basically terminators without inv or 2+, so they'd be slow and couldn't ride bikes and other such restrictions.
Fluffwise idk, they settled on a less-dense planet because less strain from gravity so they could function more like normal marines.
Just a concept

Not every army is Tau yet. This case you describe where a Tau army can sit outside your 36" range for 2 turns then knock out your gun is not typical, and I don't really think it should be used to generalize statements like " incredibly easy to play around it and make it so it doesn't shoot at all the entire game."

36" range isn't easy to avoid unless your army is specifically geared for it.

As for it getting blown up, you could try hiding it behind a bunker and putting a Leman Russ on top of the bunker for more height, or something equally cheesy. With Tau marker lights and jetpacks, though, it probably won't work.

Is it possible to do a vostroyan army considering the fact that they sell only 1 infantry squad with a heavy bolter + flamer? and they plasma but no melta and you cant buy any more small squads because they stopped selling them?

Anything is possible with sculpting and kit bashing.

Well shit user, I'd be okay with fighting foot sloggers.

My Fabulous Bill murder horde would love to face you.

I guess I'm just biased because my only regular opponents are tau. It could work vs. armies that don't have ridiculous mobility/range I suppose

They also like deep striking crisis teams with fusion weapons and ignores cover to take down my artillery lines.

If they do what they did for necromunda and other specialist games, the mix of models you get will be completely random.

My main goal is to maximize the psychic phase, so I can use those cool Excess powers a lot.

So I guess I'll go for the cheapest Daemonic Incursion I can get, stick my warlord in there, and then enjoy the +1/-1 on warpstorm rolls.

>My Fabulous Bill murder horde would love to face you
tell me more
I just want a third army, and have wanted to make Marines for a while (Alpha Legion from 30k specifically). I'm also the fag that's been winning with 'Nids vs top-tier armies and like to boast here. I also play AdMech. A footslogging slow army is what I lack.

Plastic guardsman beside cadians and catachans when?

Bile + 20 man blob of Enhanced(+1S and Fearless upgrade) CSM with pistol+ccw, MoK, Icon of Wrath

The blob is 330 points, I don't remember Bile's points...like 170 i think?

Stone upon putrid flesh. I like it.
I remember Bile now, Fabius Bile 'innit? Can't remember what he does though, just remember seeing him in the codex and going 'meh' on his rules.
Ahriman looked pretty sweet though, in a casual-fun kind of way.
30k Alpha Legion into 40k / this shitty homebrew chapter? I just want something fluffy to play. I know 30k doesn't translate too well into 40k, but Alpha Legion looks like so much fun.

3 boxes gets you enough for a platoon. 2 lasgun squads, a heavy weapons squad and a Flamer platoon command squad -1 model.
You can easily convert Flamers into meltaguns. Because of the cost, you'll have to go to a recaster if you want plasma guns.

For a heavy conversion beamer? Sure.

You should not be equipping it with a HCB however, that is the worst contemptor loadout.

Future of CSM is in Daemonkin Armies

3 boxes of what exactly?