New MtG format

A 'new-modern' constructed format where only cards that use the M15 card border are acceptable. So, cards from M15 and all sets released afterwards. All the typical rules apply (fifteen card sideboard, sixty or more card main deck, only four of each card excluding basic lands, etc).

Banned cards:
>Treasure Cruise
>Dig through Time
>Collected Company
>Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta, Blooded Mire, Wooded Foothills, Windswept Heath

Would you play it?

>Collected Company
someone's mad

You mean Extended. With a smaller card pool.
Try again in 10 years when the cardpool is big enough to warrant being a non-rotating format.

> Ban fetches

Literally why? Certainly, you cant be butt-blasted about consistent mana bases.

>Ruse cruise
>Dtt
>CoCo

You have to be a complete idiot.

I might if not for that retarded banlist.

Actually 8th was only 8 years old when Modern came out.
So, we could have neo-modern as early as 2022! Better get brewing!

No. Banning the fetchlands would reduce deck variety. It's not fun to play against the same deck every time.

Stupid banlists aside, I'd probably hazard a bet that Ultra Modern is going to happen sooner or later, depending on the progress of conterfeiters. Especially since Wizards has practically cut ties with Modern by now and the format has pretty much failed to achieve any goal they stated for it.

>The year is 2022
>WotC still refuses to abolish the reserved list
>Legacy staples have reached 2000 a piece
>Vintage staples are practically as rare as Richard Garfield promos
>Modern has been abolished in favor of Neo-Modern, spanning from M15 forward
>Making all Modern staples that didn't cycle into Neo-Modern crash in price overnight
>However, large stores had large Modern sales just a few moths ago, unloading most of their Modern staples before the crash
>Because of the Unregistered Goods Trading Act of 2019, this was ruled as Insider Trading by federal court
>Hasbro has officially dissolved its WotC division and is currently dealing with numerous lawsuits
>Upperdeck Entertainment has purchased the rights to the popular card game
>They have no plans to continue the TCG at this time
>At least we finally have flying cars
>Traffic is still horrible

Not OP, but all the shuffling get old really fast.

>banning fetches
No. Mana fixing is fine and only shit players complain about it because shit players need their opponent to not play the game in order to win.
>banning cruise/dig
again, if you're bad you need these banned to prevent your opponents from consistently playing the game every turn.
>banning coco
I'm biased because I'm inundated by Gx and bant coco decks at my LGS but I'd agree with this.

>Neo Modern
Can we let this meme die in peace already?

That's mainly cause wizards hasn't fucking tried to reduce the prices of cards in modern

at least Trump got re-elected.

Ditch the random fetch bans and I'd play it.

Really though any new format can be pushed if there is a consistent enough tourney schedule for it. If someone ponied up for a big enough location and a decent price pool we could see a format that's only made of Fallen Empires, Homelands, and Un-sets.

And as long as the current management is here, they never will.
And as long as MtG continues to grow, the management won't change.

Didn't they just get a brand new CEO like a few months ago?

I understand the fetch banning. It's more for a financial reason than a mechanical one.

It's literally just a 'you have to pay this much to have a consistent mana base and not be the victim of dumb luck' pay wall. It's a question of banning fetches and destroying consistent land bases or keeping fetches and enforcing a strict pay wall.

I'm my opinion, pay walls are a good thing.

The people who pay 40 bucks for a single card are people who actually care about the game. They love it, want to spend disposable income on it, and want to support it in the future. It's a hobby, and while you can enjoy the game with a bunch of penny commons, if you care about it enough, you spend money.

Now, are card prices absurd? Absolutely. There should br no reason any card exceeds $10. But having a basic entry fee that you only pay if you are passionate about tournament play is a good thing for the health of a competitive game.

i would say start without bans, see if anything is overpowered then ban that

I'm pretty sure that he didn't say anything about changing the course, so...

>~10 dollar price cap for singles

Very agreed. Any card that costs more than around 10 dollars is a complete scam and destroying this game. I believe that, for a top tier deck, a player should be able to spend ~$150 to get a tournament grade deck.

As for the formats, Standard should last longer and rotate set by set instead of block by block. 8 sets in standard, and one set rotates at a time.

Supermodern can totally work, they just have to reprint staples a fuckton to maintain a safe price point. Cards CAN be good, but they dont have to be expensive. Foils? Sure, those are shiny and more valuable. Regular print cards should be less than 10 at all times.

Why not just go full tilt and make a $10 dollar and under format?

You don't even need a very extensive ban list, since if the demand of a card spikes too high it will rise in price and thus become softbanned.

And at last we are free.

Pauper, then?

New MTG format: You play with two Libraries, one of 40 spells and other of 20 lands. Every time you draw you may choose between them.
Discard piles are separated.
No more Landflood, no more Manascrew, Fetches aren't that good anymore.

you should get good at shuffling

What about, go full retard and make your land deck any size (20 max?), just draw from spell deck and gain a land per turn off the top hearthstone-style?

Magic was made with this mechanics and the possibility of dryspells or drawing one land after the other in mind. It's balanced around it. Ensuring a land drop 100% of a time would completely fucking wreck the balance of the game, how the fuck are people not getting this?

>But FoW?
Force of Will is a different game, hopefully balanced around the fact that there is a mana deck.

I've seen some retarded shit on this board but this is pretty up there

>New Modern
I'd love it. Modern is already a very well developed format where lots of the newer cards don't see play regardless wether they are good or not due to fierce competition. A new Modern with a younger, developing meta would be fun because it'd ahift very quickly as each new set would have a greater impact.

>Ban Treasure Cruise & Dig through Time
Those are already banned in Modern, so tey have no business being legal in this new format.

>Ban Collected Company & fetches
Now you are being retarded. Fetches enabled the 4 colour rally decks, but they are also the base of 3 colour decks. Without them, all t1 decks would be bicolor no doubt.

Collected shouldn't be banned either. What's the point of a new format if you won't allow power cards in it?

It would increase variety since decks would start to need making compromises in their card choices instead of all running the same "best" choice that's only drawback is having a color dense casting cost.

Go back to Hearthstone.

Modern needs more cards, not less. Masques, Tempest, or Alliances forward might actually be interesting.

>Banned cards:
>Treasure Cruise
>Dig through Time
>Collected Company
>Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta, Blooded Mire, Wooded Foothills, Windswept Heath
Nope.

Pay Walls aren't good, many people might be interested in the game might be put off by the fact the staples are high priced. From what it sounds like, it's sounds like a "Secret Club" thing.
Pauper is pretty expensive, it's only "budget" when compared to other formats.

If it wasn't banned in standard.
No ban in this format.

I play balustrade spy, targeting your non land deck. I win

That's a dumb time to start it.

It's clear that new modern will start at Magic Origins.

>Force of Will is a different game, hopefully balanced around the fact that there is a mana deck.
>Force of Will
>Balanced
Force of will is balanced by the devs failing to reign in power creep and accidentally giving broken things out to every color. After all, this is the game, that dropped standard in favor of block constructed due to standard being too degenerate to fix.

Well, that would make OP's banlist a reality, but there's no way anyone would play that for a few more years. You'd at least want to wait until the carpool is larger than standard.

But the card pool would be m15, khans block, origins, zendikar return block and new innistrad block.
Then in 6 months kaladesh block.

>It's clear that new modern will start at Magic Origins.
It's hard to have a discussion when people don't read the posts being discussed.

Just how much exactly is "expensive" to you?

Depends on how one looks at it and what you really want to play. One can make a rouge deck out of junk commons and stuff lying around and that can vary, and certain competitive decks are 40$+

It's a good amount of money if looking at some of the good cards and decks, but compared to the other formats it's very cheap.

>and accidentally giving broken things out to every color
More like giving only one color broken stuff.

I you can't build it for less than 5 ticks on mtgo.

People pushing back against 'no fetches' don't play enough paper magic. The first five-ten minutes of every game being shuffle/cut/mulligan fetch+shuffle a few turns in a row from each player is some of the most cancerous shit a physical game can possibly have.

m15 border+ needs a few more sets to be interesting, IMO.

My G stompy deck cost like $40 tops, including the full art forests, kek. Some of you are real penny-pinching fucking jews.

I can understand the CoCo ban, considering it's one of the most standard-warping noncreature spells of all time.

I know fuck-all about FoW, hence
>hopefully balanced

Anything below 100 bucks should be acceptable, with 100 bucks being pretty much the point where prices for TCG decks become degenerate.

Ok, so fuck you
It isn't eggs, grow up

Only if they made it so no card could be banned.

Even Force of Will decks can run over 100
250 is the standard
As long as most people make tcg's over lcg's, you're going to get assfucked in price

Why would you buy something then not profit from it?

It could reach the point that Games Workshop has, where MtG's IP is far valuable than the actual product that was originally produced for it.

Wizards would start a new non-rotating format from BFZ. That way they'd be 1) excluding fetchlands, 2) excluding butthurt design mistakes like Delve and Meme Rhino, and 3) have a nice coherant starting point at their 2 set blocks. They'd also get to exclude Lightning Strike, which is far too powerful for Magic.

>100 bucks is where they become degenerate
>A fucking digital Vintage deck is around 700

I still have no fucking clue why the fuck they made MTGO Vintage so stupidly expensive. I get that they can't do anything about paper, and paper Vintage+Legacy are largely dead as fuck because of that. But there's nothing stopping you from making your stupid online game somewhat reasonably affordable.

Ok. But if you dont do something with it its wasted money.

Banking fetches and CoCo? What a bunch of cry babies.

>Lightning Strike
>too powerful

Wut

2 mana to deal 3 whole points of damage, user! Why, with broken cards like this lying around, red might actually stand a remote chance of making a top 8 in a Standard event. Can't be having that now, can we?

>Only rule is M15 border and onwards
>EMA, MM2, Commander series, Duel decks
>Force of Will, Brainstorm, Daze, Price of Progress, Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolt, Shardless Agent, Baleful Strix, Sinkhole, Vindicate, Tarmogoyf

Sounds fun

It'd be weird, it has a ton of legacy power cards but nothing like delver to make as much use of it

Mom and STP is probably enough for a lot of white-based decks to do well. Sinkhole, Wasteland, and POP punish the 4-5 color boogeyman standard that was Khans-BFZ.

Miracles wouldn't exist. I imagine some version of Shardless BUG would start to dominate really quickly since it has sinkhole, goyf, strix

Nigga I say the whole game should revolve around Bolt being just an acceptable card. Just bring the rest of the game up in powerlevel since 2 mana 3 damage is to weak and 1 mana 3 damage is to powerful.

I would be all for it since I started with Origins to begin with.

Lets see if we can get LRR behind it

I disagree with paywalls being a good thing, but I do agree with 10 dollars being a good cut off point

So basically Four Color Hell?

I'd play it, but it's probably going to be too similar to that particular Standard rotation.

It would suck without the fetchlands though. The M15+ manabase is completely shit without them.

>enemy painland
>allied fetchland
>allied battleland
>enemy creatureland
>allied shadowland

>new border cards only
>2014+ commander decksare legal
>mfw daretti spaghetti never forgetti is a 4 of in my UR robots deck

>m15 border cards
>Eternal masters and mm15 are legal
>every deck is 4x wasteland 4x mana crypt 4x mox
>eldrazi decks now have eye and temple and access to legacy staples
Format dun goofed

>implying EMN is legal in neo-modern

Nice try, EMN is a reprint set only.

There was one card in EMN that had never been printed in a set before, so in a way it wasn't ALL reprints.

EMN is m15 border, so is mm15, some of the FTV sets, commander 2014 and 2015 ergo all legal in a format with m15+ border cards

Its not cards with an M15 border, its mainline sets with an m15 border we're talking about here. Reprints of cards in sets that are legal in the new format are legal, but cards created and printed before m15 and outside of the block progression afterward are banned.

Ops post
>A 'new-modern' constructed format where only cards that use the M15 card border are acceptable. So, cards from M15 and all sets released afterwards. All the typical rules apply (fifteen card sideboard, sixty or more card main deck, only four of each card excluding basic lands, etc).

>movinggoalposts.jpg

Nigga he's right, shuffle 2-3 times per game is fine

this is the perfect time to state that the mentioned boarder is the worst in mtg history

No. I wouldn't. Too small a card look, as others have mentioned. However :

New format:
>all sets are allowed
>legacy banlist
>anything in the reserve list is also banned.
>60 cards.
>Singleton, or maybe doubleton
>decks are broken into tiers based on total price, like weight classes in boxing. Something like:

Card pool*

Alternatively, Wizards bit the fucking bullet and abolish the reserve list, making more money off selling Reserved Masters than they could ever lose to a lawsuit, making the already fun and diverse eternal formats actually affordable, thus not dead.

>nevergoingtohappen.png
And, having played with proxies of reserve list stuff, i *definitely* have more fun when nobody has them.

But the fact that the necessary cards are unreasonably expensive is definitely part of why those formats have few players.

Though in my case, your "solution" would not make me want to play legacy again. The speed / power level of competitive legacy simply results in gameplay i don't find enjoyable, and at the moment is basically the only format with older cards.

Hence banning reserve list, less than quadrupleton, and breaking the format into price tiers.

Your card pool is going to be very different with a $50 legacy card pool budget than what you see in legacy now.

But the point, many would argue, of legacy/vintage, is to play with the fun and broken older cards.

Also, just noticed >singleton/doubleton
ew, that takes away all consistency.

>The point of legacy is the brown cards!
In a competitive format with them in it, you almost *have* to use them. Yes.

In my case I happen to enjoy a lot of cards from the older sets, which i can't use in modern, and I can't play them in legacy due to them not being high enough tier to keep up.

What i want is a less broken eternal format with all the sets, and a low barrier to entry for newbies without getting trounced by someone because they've spent 2k on a deck.

You want to use a 2k deck? Use it against someone else with a 2k deck.

As for consistency? I think 60 card quadrupleton constructed is too predictable/repetitive.

I don't necessarily want everything as inconsistent as edh, but 60 quadrupleton is too consistent.

>Low barrier to entry to actually get to compete, bringing in new players (who can get into more expensive tiers/formats as they build up their collections).
>Longer more tactical matches than legacy.
>Less monotonous than normal constructed.
>you can make use of most of your card collection, in at least one price bracket or another, and actually get to play them without always losing, not always being restricted to using the best cards you own.

Mom dies to devoid shock. I think that would keep her in check.

This might actually get me to play something other than draft/sealed again, and get me back into the game regularly.

Another variant on that which might be fun:

As , plus
>your deck can only contain cards which were printed within 2 years.

So, your deck would have had to, at one point, also been legal in standard.

This is not as an "instead of", just a "this could also be fun".

>he guys, let's make SCG have the power to soft ban decks by price gouging their staples!

If a card is only played in 10$ or cheaper, that means it's too weak to be in 50$ to 100$ decks.
So if it increase in price, people will stop playing it and buying it, cause it won't be played anymore.

1. It should be based on more than just the scg prices. There are other stores too. Hell, maybe mtgo prices could somehow factor in.
2. If the prices of the cards in your deck went too high, it would bump you up a price tier, yes. Then you'd be playing against tougher decks. Presumably the reason the cards are going up in price is because they're good and lots of people are using them.
3. To avoid weird fluctuations the people maintaining the format could use the average prices of cards over a couple months, along with updating their prices monthly or every couple months, rather than daily. That way, if you've got a tournament you're going to that's in this format for some reason, your deck likely isn't ever going to change tier right beforehand.

There would be logistics, but they wouldn't be terribly difficult to figure out. A basic computer program could handle this automatically and you wouldn't have to do any manual adjustments that way.

Exactly.

Or if it's really good in the $10 tier, but not good enough to see much play in the $25 tier, you will have to determine what to cut if you want to fit it in.

Seriously would play the shit out of this if someone did a decent job implementing it.

But this
Would lead it's price getting lower again, cause demand goes away.

>Literally why? Certainly, you cant be butt-blasted about consistent mana bases.

>Not OP
I certainly can. Streamlines the deck types waaay too much.

Sure.

Fluctuating card demand would balance the formats until they found their niche and correct price point and stabilized. That's largely the point.

Whoever did it could scrape their pricing data from mtgptice.com, and calculate an average price over the last few months, pretty quickly.

Then once a month (or two months, whatever the format manager decides), a batch script recalculates the values using updated price trend data.

Ideally:

If a deck is dominating a tier, demand of the important cards goes up, your deck either lands solidly in the next tier or just barely goes over the top of the current tier, and you have to either cut something to stay in-tier, or make your deck better so it can compete in the next tier.

The end result should be a wide variety of competitive decks in the meta, not just a couple of decks everyone has to play to stand a chance.

And (odds are, since you likely have the cards lying around anyways) you'll have decks for several different tiers kicking around.

I mean, I'm not suggesting you get rid of the existing formats. Clearly some people like them.

But im not a fan of any of the constructed formats these days, which is why i thought up "what's a constructed format that might actually be fun?"

Being able to actually use more of my card collection, and being easy to get new people into mtg would be a bonus.

The meta for each tier would be different, and eventually you might determine you don't like playing some particular tier and decide to build for the other ones instead.

If it turns out I like something that plays more like limited, maybe I'm building lots of cheap decks, and playing in a meta i actually enjoy.

And if i like lightning fast well oiled gameplay, i can use a more expensive tier with more tutors and stronger mana bases and stronger cards, and it would run closer to legacy or highlander.