/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore Genera

Scary Skexy Snake Ladies edition.

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for the bright and terrible angel of Veloth in his pre-chimerical form, demonic VEHK, gaunt and pale and beautiful, skin stretched painfully thin on bird's bones, feathered serpents encircling his arms.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QGRAYek20vg
uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Eltonbrand
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_Less_Rude_Song
en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Jokes
en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Real_Barenziah
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hallgerd's_Tale
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:36_Lessons_of_Vivec,_Sermon_12
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Cyrodiil is best province

I mostly think that the lockpicking minigame is shit because all the locks are the same and look the same. It's so lazy that they might as well have tossed it into the garbage.

Cyrodiil a bore.

Second for Hai Resdaynia stupid cyrod scum.

Fourth for Daggerfall is the best game.

You a bore.

Morrowind was the peak of the series.

For story & lore, yes

Aye, secret-dice-roll combat never again

It was horrible in Skyrim, because it was easy to get a billion lockpicks, and the skill level of the lock barely mattered since you could pick them at any level. I don't mind the latter so much, except that you'll usually get so many lockpicks that it wouldn't matter how many times you failed. And most infuriatingly, even when a lock broke, it upped your skill.

Oblivion I liked the premise behind - your lockpick skill mostly affects how easily you can try to pick a lock again, which actually rewards you for getting higher levels in lockpicking beyond 'you can pick harder locks' - but it was very hard to get a feel for the actual act of pushing up those tumblers, and for some reason by the late game I found it very hard to find any lockpicks on enemies, which meant I had to make more use of Alteration spells to get loot from dungeons.

I dunno, I liked how you could play around with building crazy spells and how easy it is to mod.

This.

Most of you guys know that Daggerfall has language skills, but do you know that there's speech checks for human opponents as well? However they're intentionally harder to pacify, so even with your weapon lowered, 100 Personality and 100 Etiquette, there's only a 20% chance of it happening.
But the idea is great. You can be so damn charming and well spoken that you can convince one in five murderous thugs not to attack you.

If you meet a monster, like a Orc or a Centaur, and you have 100 language and everything mentioned above, the chance is 60%.

Yeah, being a wizard in Morrowind was fantastic. Especially if you used light armor instead of unarmored.

You could also actually wear a robe and armour at the same time.

I dunno, an entire skill that only gives you a small chance to not be attacked by a certain faction is pretty shitty imho.

That's really cool. It's governed by Etiquette? You would think that would be Streetwise, since they aren't exactly formal.

You could choose from more skills back then, so it's not as important as picking something in Morrowind or Oblivion.

The language skills, I think, are very good for roleplaying. Also, it can really help if you are in the mountains or are doing the main quest without having to kill too many Orcs or whatnot.

As for Etiquette/Streetwise, that isn't the primary function, it's merely something they added onto it.

I've never gotten far when I've tried to play Daggerfall, but I really like Lord Bridewell just for the experience he provided for my gameplay:

As a new character who didn't quite have the skills to join any guilds he wanted, and most of the people in Daggerfall didn't seem interested in giving me quests, Lord Bridewell was a pleasing opportunity, because he always wanted me to carry some thingeemajig for a bit of gold. I end up doing a few jobs for him, and it was only then that I started hearing rumors from random folk about Bridwell getting back into a drug-smuggling ring, and I realized what I'd been a part of.

Oh, it's extremely shitty from a powergaming standpoint, which is why "no one" uses language skills except for if you're roleplaying. But as with many Daggerfall things, it's a good idea with poor execution.

That said, as much as I'd like them to be more useful, I do like taking them as Misc skills for character where knowing that skill/language would make sense. And it's always funny when it actually works. I guess Orcish can be somewhat useful, if you actually train it.

I thought it was Streetwise too, but I just referenced the Chronicles, and it says there that the formula is:
>human_monster_tame_chance = (personality/5) + (etiquette/10) + weapon_modifier
The weapon modifier is 10 if you don't have a weapon drawn, and -25 if you have it drawn.
The result is then compared to a d200 roll.

Would have been great if it was Streetwise.

>Sneaking through dungeon
>No weapon drawn
>Stumble into a hostile Nightblade
>Sneak check
>Fail
>The fucker sees me, and brandishes his blade
>Roll for Streetwise
>Success
>"Oi cunt, back off!"

>politely ask a fellow adventurer to leave you alone
>knifes you and takes your coinpurse
>politely ask an orc not to skullfuck your eyeholes
>"aight m8, we coo'"

What would GroßResaydiniums look like?

Black Marsh

I feel like an orc would be stunned with a random adventurer knowing their language enough to stop and consider. Honestly in that situation it would seem easier to say "Sorry, I didn't know this was your territory, I'll back off".

also
>Trying diplomacy with actual Murderhobos.
You might as well try not to get killed by a Clerk.

GroßResaydinium: Black Marsh, Fort Cheydin, Skyrim up to Whiterun.

GroßSummersetiums: Valenwood, Cyrodiil Hammerfell, Highrock up to the Wrothgarians.

GroßElyswryiums: Cyrodiil up to the Colovians, Leyawiin, Valenwood.

It depends on the outcome of the Marhkati Selective. If they were successful, Alduin and Akatosh are separated beings. According to Alduin, he is the firstborn of Akatosh, but if Akatosh was really made during the Selective, he could not be, as Alduin would have been around before him. Although, dealing with Time itself is a hard concept to draw lines to. It depends on what you believe, but at the very least, they're both aspects of Aka-Tusk.

So I just checked out Julian Lefay's Wikipedia page. He was a very important early developer, and we wouldn't have TES without him.

>Julian Lefay, sometimes referred to affectionately as the "Father of The Elder Scrolls", joined Bethesda Softworks shortly after the company's creation in 1987.
>A Chief Programmer for many years, Lefay guided the company through the creation of some of its seminal games, such as Arena and Daggerfall.
Well, that all seems fine, right?

>Lefay provided the music programming for the seminal hide-and-seek NES game Where's Waldo?.
Fucking kek. The worst thing is that it's true.
For the uninitiated:
youtube.com/watch?v=QGRAYek20vg

The entire last part of his Wikipedia page is a fucking joke. And it's been there since 2006.
An entire decade has passed, and it's still there.

However, everyone is busy sucking MK's milkfinger and blaming Todd for everything silly Bethesda does.

Yep, he's also where the name for Julianos comes from.

I don't think he worked within any of the modern TES games, wile others like Todd Howard remained.

Then Ken Rolston took over as lead for Morrowind. Ken also happens to have been a designer for TTRPGs for 12 years, and is credited for games and supplements like Paranoia, RuneQuest, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, AD&D, and D&D. He also makes a quick appearance in Morrowind.

Is it just one cyrodboo tuskposter in here? Talking about and also the 'elsweyr and valenwood are rightful cyrod clay' posts

So, I went ahead and read the old Daggerfall Unofficial FAQ, and it's the best thing ever.
For those of you who don't know, the FAQ was the reason the UESP was made, so it's pretty important for the TES fandom, even if the document(s) itself is now completely outdated.
I'm reading version 0.992, from 24 August 1996, in case anyone cares. This was after the release of the Daggerfall demo.

>The current release date is 30 August 1996.
>DAGGERFALL's release date was initially going to be February 1995.
It came out on the 31, so they didn't actually hit goal there either.

>The DAGGERFALL Demo is out.
>Due to space restrictions, there is no monster AI in the Demo.
I wouldn't expect any less of Bethesda.

>pic related
Can someone in America call this number/try to order the game by mail?
Ask for the Limited Edition. The bonus stuff looks sweet.

>What's this I hear about the sequels/addons to DAGGERFALL?
I believe Battlespire started out as an addon before growing into a separate thing.

>The ability to import your ARENA character into DAGGERFALL will be available as a stand-alone utility, which it is planned will be available by the time DAGGERFALL comes out.
It's always funny when people think that Bethesda promising stuff that won't actually be in the game, and cutting planned features, is a new thing. That this is something they did after Morrowind.
They've always done this, and they've always shipped unfinished/bugged games. It's a way of life.

Yeah, it's just one guy who thinks his own "memes" are funny.

He hasn't worked on any game since Battlespire, as far as I'm aware.
He's gets special thanks in Morrowind's credits.

But we all know that his real masterpieces were Where's Waldo and Wayne Gretzky Hockey.
>tfw no waldoscrolls
>the no gretzkyscrolls

GroßSkyrium: Colovian Highlands, Western Reach, Solstheim

I guess we'll have to settle for baskeball references in OP artifacts, and the occasional minecraft reference.

>baskeball references in OP artifacts, and the occasional minecraft references
I know about the notched pickaxe, but what about the basketball references?

In Morrowind, If you do a very specific set of instructions, you can upgrade Goldrand to Eltonbrand, Named after the basketball player.

uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Eltonbrand

>Looking at Eltonbrand
>The odd nature of this sword seems to stem from Bethesda developer Mark Nelson. The NBA basketball player Elton Brand was a member of his favorite team in college, the Duke Blue Devils (itself referred to by his nickname "BlueDev", and the object ID of the sword), whose most bitter rivals are the North Carolina Tarheels.
>North Carolina Tarheels
>Tarheels
>Tarhiel

T-there's no way. They wouldn't have.. Could they?

Search your feelings, user. You will know it to be true.

Yes
S-sorry

>Tarheels
>Basketball
That sounds like a terrible team name.

Sports teams get all sorts of names, for all sorts of reasons. The reason the OK Sooners got their name is interesting enough.

>The name Tar Heel is a nickname used to refer to individuals from the state of North Carolina, the Tar Heel State.

interdasting

What do we know of sports in Tamriel?
The only thing I can think of is wrestling, and I guess gladiatorial combat.

They did have those animal pitfights in some Skyrim cave.

I'd imagine children have their own games like Hide and Seek. Sports however, are probably not that popular. I imagine racing, on land and boat, would be bigger.

Archery is considered a sport for higher classes, most notably for Altmer and Bretons, but obviously for Bosmer as well. Getting high, committing crimes, and denying the gods tends to be a popular past time among Khajiit. Dunmer don't even like holidays, so I don't imagine them having many sports outside of the Arena.

Yeah, bandits like wolf fights

>Dunmer don't even like holidays
The Dunmer don't like anything.

They like sex. Almost too much.

Wrong, they enjoy purging the unrighteous.

They like shitting on outlanders.

>le dunmer are sluts meme

It has been canon since Daggerfall.

All Dunmer are prostitutes.
It's confimed in "The real Barenziah" and that book even has Real in the title, so it can't be fake!

T. Jiub

it's as cannon as the "dunmer are the jews" and "dunmeri are the nazis" fan theories you people bandy about

Two of the three Tribunal members are sluts. Sotha Sil isn't, as a greasy NEET, but Vivec is a turboslut and Almalexia is the consort of the man who gave the old Muatra back massage to her late husband.

Ah, the old "Anything I don't like is a meme" meme.

One of their god is even the god of sex/murder, user.

Here you go:
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_Less_Rude_Song
en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Jokes
en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Real_Barenziah
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hallgerd's_Tale

The Morrowind design documents mentioned that the Hlaalu were inspired by the jews.

>Sotha Sil isn't, as a greasy NEET
You must have missed the part where he clones himself and gangbangs Almalexia. And is implied that he does it regularly.
Oh, I get it. You must be Dunmerkin.

It's a meme because it has no solid basis and is repeated ad nauseum because it pisses off autist like me
>you aren't allowed to dislike forced memes

Pissing of autists is a hobby of mine.

>You must have missed the part where he clones himself and gangbangs Almalexia.
I actually did, source? Sounds hot

>Here's some canon books that not only show how the other races view Dunmer, but the accounting of a Dunmer herself who documents it, and a books that's even about how lewd Dunmer are despite outward appearances.
>"I don't know guys, there's not really any evidence"

Also, how self important are you if you actually think we specifically say it just to piss you off?

en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:36_Lessons_of_Vivec,_Sermon_12
>As the Hortator pondered the first lesson of ruling kings, Vivec wandered into the Mourning Hold and found that Ayem was with a pair of lovers. Seht had divided himself again. Vivec then leapt through into their likenesses to observe, but he gained no secrets that he did not already know. He left a few of his own behind to make the journey worthwhile.

Nerevar was even getting cucked by Seht.

>a list of jokes
>a limerick
>a fictional (double fictional?) book about a specific fictional dunmer's exploits
>a book about someone recounting a tale of a dunmer trapped in a political marriage having sex with a sexy armorer

also not me specifically, just autists in general.

>a fictional (double fictional?) book about a specific fictional dunmer's exploits
>The Real Barenziah
>Fictional

>biography: "Why, "The Real Barenziah," of course! I felt it my duty to give to history a true and honest account of this remarkable woman. The story I presented, while true, was perceived as scandalous. My exuberance for the tale was left unchecked by wisdom, and I fear I caused some damage to the woman, not to mention the Imperial family."
>caused some damage: "As I've said, the tale was a true one. However, the details within should probably not have been divulged as they were. There were details that were felt to be embarrassing to the Septim line, though it was not my intent for them to be so. The work was ordered banned, and I was to be executed. Were it not for the grace of the lady herself, I would long be in my grave."

>Plitinius Mero, an Imperial savant, is an author in the employment of Barenziah. This may seem strange, since Plitinius wrote The Real Barenziah, a book that uncovers a seemingly darker side of Barenziah's past. However, it appears that they became friends after the book was published, and that Plitinius was in fact a scribe for Barenziah.

>A valid view of the cultures of Tamriel from their own perspective.
>A valid limerick showcasing Dunmeri views on lewdity.
>The original, nonfiction, uncensored copy of Barenziah's Autobiography.
>Another account of a Dunmer cheating.

Now you are just being obtuse on purpose. There's an entire quest in Daggerfall dedicated to finding the uncensored book, since it brings shame to Barenziah.

if that's all it takes then all the races are sluts

Not really. The only confirmed sluts are Dunmer>Khajiit>Bretons

To an extent. Redguards and Bretons are shown to be very comfortable with sex, especially Bretons. However there was only one joke that implied that Bretons fugg like rabbits, where as the Dunmeri jokes to to outright call the women whore and the men sex fiends. Not to mention how sexual Khajiiti culture is.

Keep on whimpering in a corner about how it doesn't count, though, it's impressing us all.

You sure are mad someone doesn't believe in your forced meme. Keep crying about how the real barenziah proves dunmer women are sluts but the lusty argonian mad is just a bawdy romance novel.

>just a bawdy romance novel.
Not him, but it is just a bawdy romance novel. It's fictional. The Real Barenziah is a biography.

I'm not mad that you don't agree with me, I'm mildly upset that your autism is making you act a fool by throwing up your hand and yelling "I don't like it, forced meme!", and continue to act like you are the only sane one.

Also, The Real Barenziah was an autobiography, where as The Lusty Argonian Maid was written by a playwright who wrote other bawdy plays. You'd know that if you played Morrowind.

>Tfw we will never know how The Dance of the Three Legged Guar goes.
Why even bother living.

poor choice of words, literally any of the other things he mentioned would have worked
You're missing the point. A handful of books both fictional and non mentioning a specific member of said race acting promiscuous is not a good basis for a fan theory. And there are plenty of other books mentioning other races acting in the same way. And its a forced meme because it has little to support it or all that funny yet people keep parroting it.

I apologize to the rest of the thread. I couldn't contain my autism even though I knew these arguments always end autistic slap fights.

I honestly just imagined it was a live donkey show, except with a guar instead.

What are some unique flora and fauna we haven't seen in any games? Surely Morrowind isn't the only province with exotic plants and animals.

Well we have never seen werelions, werevultures or weresharks in a game.

TES games got the lockpicking completely wrong.

Real life lockpicks almost never break. Anyone can open a lock with a lockpick, just those who have too low skills, will spend 3 days opening one lock, whereas a master can open a lock in a matter of seconds.

So, it would be much more immersive if trying to lockpick didn't take play to a minigame. Rather picking a lock should just be an action that takes time based on skill level. That way there is actual reason for thieves to invest in the skill aswell - you want to pick your lock as fast as possible since the quard could walk by any moment.

And it would also reduce the burden of a non-thief adventurer. You don't need to invest much into lockpicking since you are gonna lockpick when the area has been cleared anyways and thus there is no need to hurry.

No, user, you're missing the point. This has been a running gag in the series, none of those are even listed under fictional, and I would just love to see how many plays portray Altmer as sluts. Go on and find me some, it'll be worth a laugh. Dunmer have much more material of this nature about them than any race. It's not a forced meme no matter how many tantrums you throw. We'll keep saying it even if you don't want us too. There is seriously more material covering Dunmer promiscuity than Khajiit being elves or dragons having tusks, to the point where I'd say it's hard to deny without severe autism.

I wanna see the Weredaedroth Hircine made.

Tribunal Temple in full force today

>all that ad hominem
stay triggered my friend

I think the Adonis flower is a really cool concept. Same with the Arabesque nut, the ironwood trees, and the Narcissus plant.

I support this.

#dunmerimegasluts

Nice ad hominem, yourself, pal.

So I take it you couldn't find any play, poem, book, or even a reference to a cultural promiscuity among Altmer, then. Don't worry, if you really want the last reply, I might give it to you.

You sure told him.

>a selection of works from a series on a specific topic is not valid grounds for interpretation of said topic within series

I support it, too, user. As long as UESRPG campaigns don't get too magickal realm, it's fine by me.

Post the dragonlings one

It had something about there possibly being dragons in the Alik'r right?

Oh I'm arguing about it anymore. I just found it funny that you accused me of throwing a tantrum when the only side throwing insults up to that point was you. If you get this upset over someone questioning you fan theory might I suggest /r/teslore?

Sure, he's triggered and mad, not the guy who autistically combats dunmer stereotypes

>ywn be a big dumb nord living in Morrowind getting heaps of qt dunmer pussy who will do raceplay with you
You get discriminated a lot but it's worth it.

*I'm not arguing about it

Your obstinate denial of relevant sources speaks much louder than his swear words, friend.

This is probably the most convincing post made in the entire thread. I'm all aboard the Dunmer sloots train now.

You'd probably just get frozen in your loincloth while a witch makes off with your stuff.

So basically it's like being a gaijin in Japan?