Puh-lease, my original fantasy setting doesn't have such plebian Tolkien-esque races like elves and dwarves...

>Puh-lease, my original fantasy setting doesn't have such plebian Tolkien-esque races like elves and dwarves. No generic bullshit like that. Why, your racial options include Faeiyaens, who are slender, pointy eared magical forest people who live forever, Gamadim, who are short, hairy miners and smiths who live underground, and Shortkin, who are like humans only smaller and with larger feet.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/tg/thread/17931408
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Perfect, OP. You are now ready to work for Games Workshop.

>Wah, what's the point in renaming your races if I judge that they're too similar to a generic fantasy race?!
>Wah, what's the point in calling a race a generic fantasy race name if I judge that it's too different from the stereotype I'm used to?!
>Wah, what's the point in making new races at all when all of the generic fantasy races fulfill all of the roles you could need?!
>Wah, what's the point in having any fantasy races at all and not just using a variety of humans instead?!

Pick one and make a thread, get 100+ posts.

Baron Harkitten?

Fuck you, now I need to get an overweight sphynx and name it that.

>Reskin a dwarf, call it a different name
>"TOO SIMILAR! WHY ISN'T IT A DWARF?!"
>Give it different physiology or animal traits, like mole claws for digging
>"TOO FURRY! GET OUT FURFAGGOT!"
>Scale it back and make them more humanoid
>"THIS ISN'T REALISTIC! WHY DON'T YOU JUST MAKE THEM HUMANS?!"

Just accept that Veeky Forums is full of turbo-autists who won't be happy with anything.

Why a spynx and not a displacer beast?

WotC will sue you if you use displacer beasts outside of D&D.

>thing nobody does

This. Also, magic real accusations if you alter theirs appearance in small ways.

>real
realm

>Just accept that Veeky Forums is full of turbo-autists who won't be happy with anything.

I know I never am.

How many nipples does that thing have?

>what is Age of Sigmar

Two.

>akscchually...my dwarves are 40 foot tall aquatic centaurs. Their culture is based on a curious mix of Blackfoot Indians and medieval Azerbaijan. They don't forge shit because they live underwater and alcohol is lethal to them. Their worst enemies are Elves, which is a name for evil-aligned sentient centipedes who hate nature.
>what do you mean 'words have meanings'? hmph, what a base pleb you are, incapable of realizing my true genius manifested in subverting fantasy tropes and infusing them with random nonsensical historical curios I got from hitting random page on wikipedia

It has what ammounts to organic airbags inside of it's ribcage to protect it's organs.

It's some kind of fucked up sculpture of a human designed to survive a car crash. It can even bend it's knees in multiple directions and has a layer of fat in it's head to cushion the brain against impact.

All of them.

Either that, or the average /pol/ user without a shirt on.

That thing is legit horrifying.

A steaming pile of shit

The only time you should change the races if they are deconstructions or reconstructions.

Example:

Elves (normal) - Tall, graceful, beautiful, pointy-eared better-than-humans humans which can usually use magic and often love nature. They are fast, extremely dexterous and have long life. They are also few in number.

Now you consider all this and realize that Elves are basically apex predators of the jungle and you run with it:

Elves (2.0) - Ape or monkey like creatures that evolved in the forest, probably green-skinned or brown-skinned to provide camouflage. They are full carnivores and eat their enemies. They are extremely fast, and dexterous (to capture and chase their prey), hunt in packs and hunt sentient creatures (the ultimate game). They are few in number because they are apex predators. They live a long time because there are fewer of them and maybe because of magic+eating other sentient creatures. Their towns are hidden because they are hated by all races (for their carnivorous tendencies)

I have one for dwarves too.

Or little people who make shoes overnight. Or tiny flower people with butterfly wings. Or the ghosts of the righteous dead. Or minor nature spirits. Or highly advanced aliens which a primitive culture has taken for fairies.

All but one of those depictions literally refer to mythological or folkloric beings which have been called elves, and the last one is not rare in fiction. Insisting that an imaginary being can only be one single thing ever is beyond retarded.

>I have one for dwarves too.
Are they huge-eyed molekin sorts of things because of the undergrounds and mountains or did you just throw the eyes out altogether?

Ok. But I was just responding to OP who explicitly mentioned Tolkien varieties of the races. You can deconstruct and reconstruct the varieties you mentioned too. I don't really know what you're mad about.

Nah, blind ant-creatures which have beards that they use like antenna and which eat pyrite (fool's gold) and produce ethanol as a by-product.

You threw out the eyes. Nice touch with the feeler beard that's actually pretty inspired.

I remember a Veeky Forums thread from years ago that had dwarfs navigate by sonar (this is why they're always singing) and the beard serve as the antenna.

Isn't that basically stolen from Artemis Fowl?

In my case, the beards are used to sense airflow and have chemo-sensory properties (like ant-antenna).

>that's actually pretty inspired.
It's actually just stolen verbatim from the Artemis Fowl novels

Whatever floats your boat man. Nothing wrong with trying something new. Nothing wrong with sticking to the classics. So long as you run a game that's engaging, fun, and fair, i don't give a shit

What's this Artemis Fowl with its radar dwarfs?

>>Wah, what's the point in renaming your races if I judge that they're too similar to a generic fantasy race?!
This is a fair point, it's just that the dividing line is blurry and contentious.
>>Wah, what's the point in calling a race a generic fantasy race name if I judge that it's too different from the stereotype I'm used to?!
This is the same as above, seen from the other side.
>>Wah, what's the point in making new races at all when all of the generic fantasy races fulfill all of the roles you could need?!
Only true if the roles you're using are generic fantasy roles.
>>Wah, what's the point in having any fantasy races at all and not just using a variety of humans instead?!
This is kind of a valid point but it depends a lot on what you're going for.

Artemis Fowl is a series of novels where the premise is basically that a bunch of fantasy creatures live in a semi sci-fi society beneath the earth's crust.

The Dwarves in that setting navigate by sonar, have antenna beards (that also have other uses) and dig by consuming the earth and sediment and rapidly excreting it.

It's as if there is more than one group espousing their opinions in a common forum.

Outrageous tumblery aside, this is one of those things Fellowship actually does very well. Only one player can play a member of each race and as part of character creation they get to define what exactly that race IS. It sounds silly but in action it's pretty neat, and it's a fun way to shape the world alongside the character.

Looks like nothing new under the sun.

.....ya know some of these warped versions of the classics probably wouldn't get much support in and of themselves but I bet they'd make great add-ons as pets or underlings.

Elves go hunting with freakishly brutal brown and green hard carnivores. At one time they used wolves but they got ahold of these bad boys and just loved them instantly. So feral and n a t u r a l they just couldn't resist domesticating them.

And anty earthwormy beardhorrors who shit alcohol, well what dwarf wouldn't love those slithering around the house? Bet they think the beards are endearing.

The only similarity is the beard and even that is stretch since their's uses sonar. I bet the dwarves there aren't blind, dog-size ants with a rigid biological caste system or actually extract energy from pyrite and dig by spitting corrosive acid.

Well I never said it was completely new, just gave an example.

And you could make them feasible as a fully fledged race by considering how their culture might change based on their biology.

warosu.org/tg/thread/17931408

This thread did the alternative races thing really well.

Huh, I literally stole and elaborated upon the giants from this thread. Couldn't help it, the basic idea was too good. Did interesting things with it, I'd like to think.

It's just the Last Dwemer user, chilling out under his friend Fyr's house.

They also have the power to pull new abilities out their ass when the plot demands it.

Well if you spend all your life launching gravel out of your ass pulling abilities out off it must be child's play

What did you do?

cuck-user has spoken

So giants are basically Post-Apocalyptic Tibetan Yeti People. They look like these giant hairy apes (think Game of Thrones giants), but they're actually a culture of pacifistic scientist-monks. They live around the Arctic circle in monolithic monastery-cities cut out of the mountains and they do mine and make use of "the stuff of fallen stars". The giants know how to forge the "stuff of fallen stars" into a heavy metal which burns hot but is "cursed" - it causes humans to lose their hair, die from disease and never have children again. It is never stated outright in-game but any player who isn't an idiot should understand what we're talking about here. The giants use these fallen stars to power their enormous machines, most famously the airships they use to occasionally trade with/visit the rest of the world, but in their own cities they use the minimum technology possible. For example, they power massive sunlamps so they can grow crops inside the mountain despite the cold, but they use extremely primitive and labor-intensive methods to harvest and process them. Their most important machines are kilometers long telescopes they build on the mountaintops to study the stars.

Those who brave the omnipresent "curses" of the giant lands find endless wastes of ice and ash. On rare occasions, the shifting snow reveals impossibly massive, metallic ruins. Again, I made sure to describe them in terms which would make clear to the player what they're seeing even if the character has no idea: namely, that these are the husks of ancient, gigantic war machines. These ruins are known to be filled with treasure, but are protected by "powerful curses" (i.e. are crazy radioactive) such as that anything recovered from them kills anyone who comes in touch with it. Their only real use is selling to the giants, who are immune to the curses and pay back with "artifacts".

Since I already commited the ultimate faggotry with this setting, I went further and tied the history of the dwarfs to that of the giants using similar in-game methods, i.e. records from ancient, ruined dwarf cities which tell a version of the story that looks like mythology to anyone in-universe but which players should understand more completely.

As it pretty much went:

Thus it is said, that in the days that creation was young and beautiful, there lived giants in the north and the south of the world, and the ends of the world were like unto paradise. But the giants of the north and the south of the world each grew avaricious, and wished to reach the heavens so that they may steal the stars. As both tribes became greedy, they made war with the weapons of giants. They threw spears to the ends of the world which brought down the fires of baleful stars, and the gods removed their gaze in disgust. For that the north and the south ends of the world were cursed to be cold and diseased.

The giants of the north grieved and swore to never make war again. But the giants of the south would not give up the stars. Deep in the heart of the earth they built Machinery in a House of Dreams, that they may sleep within it for ten thousand years and wake up to regain their glory. Their most Loyal Craftsmen they had placed to keep it in repair.

But the Machinery of Sleep had been imperfect. None awoke. Perhaps one day they may still. Perhaps they had died slumbering. Yet, the Loyal Craftsmen maintained their vigil, and did not leave their sides. For ten thousand years they had lingered within the broken House of Dreams, in the dark and narrow places lit only by the fading fires of fallen stars. The shorters mated with the shortest and the brightest eyed with the brightest eyed, and the quickest fingers with the quickest fingers, and their children were shorter and brighter eyed and quicker fingered still. And so did their children for a thousand generations.

Doesn't that happen in DeGenesis?

Yes you have.

How's that even related?

gamadim is hebrew for dwarfs.
filthy jew

Sounds like something out of Middle Earth

Exactly.

Literally out of their ass

>deconstruction

Deconstruction is a perpetually self-deconstructing movement that is inhabited by differance. No text is ever fully deconstructing or deconstructed. Yet the critic provisionally musters the metaphysical resources of criticism and performs what declares itself to be one (unitary) act of deconstruction. All texts, whether written in the narrow sense or not, are rehearsing their grammatological structure, self-deconstructing as they constitute themselves. The single act of critical deconstruction is as necessary yet pointless, arrogant yet humble, as all human gestures.

Deconstruction must also take into account the lack of sovereignty of the critic himself. Perhaps this "will to ignorance" is simply a matter of attitude, a realization that one's choice of "evidence" is provisional, a self-distrust, a distrust of one's own power, the control of one's vocabulary, a shift from the phallocentric to the hymeneal.

The movements of deconstruction do not destroy structures from the outside. They are not possible and effective, nor can they take accurate aim, except by inhabiting those structures. Inhabiting them in a certain way, because one always inhabits, and all the more when one does not suspect it. Operating necessarily from the inside, borrowing all the strategic and economic resources of subversion from the old structure, borrowing them structurally, that is to say without being able to isolate their elements and atoms, the enterprise of deconstruction always in a certain way falls prey to its own work. This is what the person who has begun the same work in another area of the same habitation does not fail to point out with zeal. No exercise is more widespread today and one should be able to formalize its rules.

I love stereotypical high fantasy.
Conservative Dwarfs that live in mountains and a crafty.
Goblins are tinkerers but completely lack self worth aka suicide bombers.
Orcs are Niggers.
Humans are Teutonic Order.

Elves...
Elves are actually the most diverse in fantasy.
They're all pointy eared and long lived.
But racist super tall 'High Elves' are the best.
(Wild Hunt types from Witcher 3)
Whom are based on FĂ«anor and the Noldor.

That's some very plebby, beige taste you've got there.

Can't improve on perfection.

I know right? He doesn't even like his elves as microscopic underground-dwelling psychic goblin sharks that are based on pre-Christian Ethiopia. What a pleb.

Being contrarian for the sake of itself.
You're a faggot.

Just create your own shit.
>Race are semi nomads.
>Don't like stagnation, wants to move.
>They are short lived (Fully matured at like age 8) rare to live past 35.
>Can be compared to cats, when it comes to physical ability.
>Do not look like cats
>Polygamy but strongly anti homsexuality or race mixing.
>They are fast thinking and curious, a bit like crows
>but don't have very complex chains of thought
>They are fast learners and problem solvers
>Basically don't have any technology that's their own
Don't have time to make up looks.
2 meter tall.
Explosive strength

So goblin brains in orc bodies, essentially?

Very original.

How did any of that translate to goblin and orcs?
In what world are orcs agile?
When I said explosive strenght i mean
Can run 500 meters at like 80Km/h.
But can't run long distances.

They wouldn't be muscular brutes.
Or stupid.
They just have too low an attention span to ever sit down and design complex things.

I basically smashed birds and cats together.

Looks would obvously be more human/oid.

I wouldn't be surprised, all things considered.

ok, Todd, but can you kindly fuck off and let me finish my work?

underrated post

Who's Todd?

The exterminator from Breaking Bad

One of Batman's sidekicks

nomads with no stamina/endurance? How does that work?

Not nomads as in constantly on the move.
But as in no place called "home", don't have a need for it either.

And don't mean "no endurance", I mean the human durability: Run at 20km/h for several hours on the savannah. That's what they don't have.
Could be compared to Leopards, that also walk around long distances.
And can perfom superhuman feats but not for very long, and be very tired afterwards.
They would still be able to walk long distances, or maybe they use other animals.

Maybe you find this race most often as merchants, explorers, spies, hunters, diplomats, living as sailors, mercenaries.

>inb4 "humans are endurance hunters" HFY

Humans are not necesarily endurance hunter.
But humans are known for their endurance compared to all other animals.

Maybe it was so we could run away from any predator.
Or so we wouldn't die off as we traversed the world on an empty stomach or just foraged for food for days.
Humans are insanely durable.

Found it worked a lot better by giving them negative animalistic qualities alongside positive, and mixing a variety of creatures in. For example, made moledwarves of my own once, but I played up their light blindness so they needed obsidian glass to see in anything stronger than moonlight (still one of their weaker senses though), gave them large ears that moved about and we're akin to bats for great hearing, but also too sensitive to the sounds of the shriller folk above. Also, a set of teeth more akin to a boar's mouth for cutting into roots more easily and breaking hard shells with their tusks and made them roughly 5 and a half feet to six feet tall so people would be less likely to notice. Nuances make the difference

I think it's acceptable in small amounts.

>dig by spitting corrosive acid.

Their spit is actually corrosive acid.

They don't really spit it though, it just helps them loosen tougher rocks and metals for easier chomping

Underrated post

Also damn.

He's quoting Derrida. Did you seriously think he made that all up?