What was your first D&D game like?

What was your first D&D session like Veeky Forums?

My first D&D session was early 3.5. My father, whom introduced me to D&D, WH40k and anime, was the GM. I was a player, alongside a few other friends of my dad.

My first session was literally out group starting out marooned on an abandoned island, high jacking a merchantman that stopped by to investigate the bonfire signal we made, and becoming a pirate crew.

I absolutely loved Green Ronin's Pirates of Freeport setting ever since.

My friend was DMing For me and a few other dudes I'm like 8th grade. I don't remember much but I do remember making a half orc barbarian, crushing puny skulls in a crypt and spending reward money on grog and women.

First session I ever had was a similar experience, early 3.5E, done with friends with advice from my father who did a lot of warhammer fantasy stuff.

When our small group started out, one of us wanted to be the GM, mind you he was also new to D&D, which ended up in flames as he used his powers as GM to throw inescapable scenarios and his fetishes into our session. First game I played happened to be a magical realm with cleric traps, gay werewolves, and a platoon of city guards in horse head masks.

I quickly found new friends to tabletop with. First character was pic related

3E. My neighbor's dad was a Navy guy who used to play while at sea and he agreed to DM for his son's friends. I don't remember the specifics but that guy had a cool family.

I never played D&D. Nearly did twice but it fell flat both times.

OP here, I guess I should share my first time.

Picked up D&D 5e Starter Kit
Read through rules, know them inside and out now
Friends express interest in game, decide to run the included campaign book with them.

The campaign starts with you fighting off a goblin ambush, and interrogating an injured one to find where a goblin hideout is, where the player characters then raid it and gain most of their XP and levels.
When asked about what to do with the goblin, my friend shouts "RAPE HIM!". Going along with it, I tell him to make a dexterity check.

He rolls a natural 1.
The goblin gets away.
Realizing my mistake and how they need to use this part to get most of their XP or they are screwed, I try to suggest to them things that would lead them to the goblin hideout. They ignore them all and decide to just finish the job they are on.

After that I decided that we're going completely off from the campaign and I'll barely plan ahead.

They end up destroying a mafia crime syndicate, and releasing an owlbear into the wild, which in return, slaughters their characters.

>and releasing an owlbear into the wild, which in return, slaughters their characters.

My first game was a GURPS 3rd Ed. game in 2004 or thereabouts; it was run for me and my buddies by my friend's dad.

Brutal, hilarious and fun. I was still in middle school at the time, and I had never experienced that sort of creative fun before.

A couple memorable events:
>One friend got arrested for stealing items from a keep, in broad daylight in front of the guard. They drag him to a room for questioning. He attempts to bribe his way out by offering them gold FROM HIS POCKETS. They immediately strip him naked to search him for remaining coin.
>Other buddy makes an accidental distraction by raising an alarm through trespassing and jumps out of a third story window, breaking his leg and knocking himself unconscious in the process of his "escape".
>Naked buddy uses the momentary opportunity of clanging alarm bells, uses a pouch of gold to beat both his captors unconscious (all while naked).

Some of us also tamed wild bats on our journey, and we fought a troll with stone skin by dogpiling it (literally throwing ourselves on it) and then stabbing it in the eyes.

Still a big GURPS fan to this day.

I have GURPS lite but it always seemed too complex, D&D 5e was my first and favorite RPG.

I did stupid shit because I wasn't really into the roleplay as much as the combat and doing cool shit.

Now I'm a DM and don't care much for combat, mostly use systems like Star Wars FFG and shit.

Well, if you're happy with your current system them there you go; fun is fun. That said, GURPS isn't as "hard" as it looks, and I recommend giving it a try if you ever have the urge.

Four friends and I played OOtA.

First half an hour was us awkwardly figuring out how to act/role play but after that everyone got into it and we had a lot of fun. Our wizard got wrapped up by a spider and our bard shoved a gemstone down his urethra. The session ended after we left the slave camp. There were a lot of laughs and we probably took most of what was happening a lot less seriously than we should have.

Five friends of mine started a campaign last night, dragon cult on the sword coast or some shit, starting in a bar near greenest
our dwarven fighter got extremely hammered when I, a tiefling sorcerer disguised a very heavy liqour as a light beer and gave it to him.

he went to another table immediately, started screaming about his father's history relating to the cult to a group of sailors in the bar, and we managed to de-escalate the situation until our drunk halfling bard called one of the sailors a child-fucker.

he was then two-shot by the rest of the table that wasn't trying to fight the dwarf outside, and knocked out cold

I disguised as a sailor immediately and told the sailor it wasn't worth killing him, they stole his shoes and I dragged him up the stairs, dropping him off outside his room and watching him immediately wake up

turns out he's a cowardly drunk, as he hadn't been knocked out, just reduced to 2 hit points and played dead.

My first introduction to PnP style games was a 2e campaign ran by my uncle when I was twelve. He and his friends have been playing tabletop since the early 70's, so naturally all of us chitlings were brought in. The group was basically a giant campaign trail from "Village of hamlet," to "Queen of the Spiders." I vividly recall my nephew who was a level 2 paladin beating a level 10 assassin. Naked, doing non-lethal damage. My uncle was throwing every dice role out in the open, never had seen so many 1's and 2's in my life.

D&D was not my first rpg, so it was a little disappointing. 3rd edition, the DM tells us we were making our characters wrong (because we were not optimizing our eqiupment and spells) and told us how to redo them, then taking the sheets and writing in what he said we had to have.
We began hunting a party of orcs, who turned out to be drinking in a raided tavern. Since there was only two of us left at that point, a wizard and a fighter, the wizard changes his hair color to purple and laughed at the DM, who had earlier yelled at the wizard player for wanting to have purple hair. The fighter threw a rock through the window and hit the leader orc in the eye, which caused a brawl, which distracted the hehe orcs from us locking the door and setting fire the hehe the building. The DM ended the hehehe session and told us we would not get any XP from the 20 orcs because we didn't kill them. Then he left.
And that was my first D&D game.

Back in highschool I was invited for a one shot with a player since the group was looking for a +1. DM said I couldn't play since I hadn't played DnD in the past.

Player that invited me ran the next mini-campaign (that kind of died when the summer ended) that I was actually able to play in. Orc druid, 3.5.

in 8th grade my friend and i tried playing with his dads books from the 80s. My friend DMed, we both created characters. his character and mine walked into a dungeon found a pool of acid and decided to jump over it. i succeeded he didn't his character died in the acid i pulled it out looted it and wanted to continue he was pissed and quit. haven't been able to find a play group since.

First edition adnd solo game, elementary school library during lunch recess, 30ish years ago.

Made a fighter, explored a dungeon. Killed a bunch of stuff, including a small dragon. Somehow ended up with a functioning Sherman tank. I'm pretty sure my DM cheated all his rolls in my favor because he wanted to be friends.

so my first dnd time turned out normal at first till eventually we came across a inn and i attempted to sway the barkeep"a woman" and i pass the check and work our way to a room and i hate to roll a check for whcih hole and i rolled a 1 and ended up fucking a pot in the corner of the room and i made a joke on the pot giving me a std so that when the DM told me to role a check for STD's and i come out with 3 different strains of STD's

A fuckin train wreck

only three of us knew the rules, otaku of the group wanted fucking katanas in a bare bone D&D session for his cat girl, one guy spent almost 20 minutes on his turn trying to decide what action to take and we barely got through the first encounter in a 4 hour session.

Only myself, the Dm and a guy playing barbarian bothered to try again and that became our first actual gaming group

My first session was magical. A friend of mine had been playing D&D with his older brother and his friends, and a bunch of us were psyched about trying it. One of us had a birthday, so we had a sleep-over birthday party.

DM kid said he'd run before, but looking back on it, I don't think he had.. but he had been playing with his older brother quite a bit. Anyways, it was great. The light bulb really went on in my head when I realized that I could kick a kobold in the nuts as well as stab him with the sword that was written on my character sheet - here was a game that was unrestricted in action, one that could be as free-form as the players want. I was hooked, and started designing dungeons the next day.

That was a quarter of a century ago, and it never stopped being wonderful.

Also, the DM let me bang Aleena.

Ew, had something similar

>friend is really into lightning casting characters
>wants to play a wizard or warlock as his first pathfinder game
>dm advises against it since we are all new
>friend plays a druid instead
>1/2 through the campaign and he's starting to get bored of it after only focusing on trying to max out his lightning spells and never getting to use them because of the ridiculous aoe that would cause our anti-paladin (me) to be useless
>gets angry that he's basically the heal bitch of the party and barely makes it through the campaign

I'm glad that nigger left, we're having baller ass fun now that we don't have to cater to his ass not reading what his skills do and adding an extra two hours just because he doesn't know what his character does

>short single sessions with DM introduce our PCs to the campaign
>meet up with rest of the players at some point
>I have some experience in roleplaying but not in DnD, three of the 6 in our party are completely new
>try to get them to RP, they're really shy about it
>we progress in the story, having quite a lot of fun
>paladin finds a map case with a map of the area in an obviously abandoned building
>takes out map, looks at it, then puts it back
>DM is pulling his hair, wanting him to take the friggin mapcase for pelor's sake
>later, we're still rummaging through the house
>city guard finds us after following our trail
>wants to arrest us on charges they won't tell us, quite aggressive
>with luck on diplomacy roll, I'm negotiating our way out of that situation
>paladin stands next to me, says incriminating shit and provokes the guard even more
>another good diplomacy roll, manage to make them leave promising we'll visit them at the guardstation since it seems they need our help

All in all very entertaining, although that paladin should continue making shit harder for us later

I started playing on Roll20, the Dm mistook me for another guy and gave me a premade character, some sort of pyromaniac gnome. At the end of the first session I got raped 3 times, two by the barbarian (party member), one from the shopkeeper, in order to get a sweet sword for the barbarian.

"Rapey the Dwarf"

It was interesting. I count my "first" DnD campaign as the second one we did overall, since the first only lasted about two sessions. The second lasted a few months and was much more coherent.

Unfortunately, this was undermined by the GM being a fuckin cunt. The original group was four dudes, and he added two more for the second game, a boyfriend and girlfriend pair. He knew the girl through college and she had wanted to join, the guy showed up just because he was getting dragged along.

And holy fuck did it show. If being slow and boring was an Olympic event they'd have had to test this motherfucker for doping. He played a human with a mace and I have no idea what his class even was because he never did anything but "swing my mace" once every ten minutes once we coaxed him off his phone.

Meanwhile, the girl rapidly degenerated into Emotional Issues: The Annotated Series, and by the fourth or fifth session the GM was spending more time consoling her than he was running the game.

This is all punctuated by the fact that the girl put away beer like she was built by Mom's Friendly Robot Company and got the GM to do the same, so every session started with our liquored up dungeonmaster having pregamed his own fucking group.

Few months later it turned out the GM and the girl were fucking, and that led to the group falling apart. Thankfully I salvaged a few of the originals and ran games for the rest of the time I lived there, and even more thankfully none of the guys I invited ever mentioned it to the old GM or the girl.

A clusterfuck. While we had been five people splitting the cost of the books between each other, for the first session there were i think 11 players. Most of whom had never read a word of the book, of which we only had one copy. I was the only one who had read the book through, and decided upon a pre-made 1st level module.
First i had to spend eight hours going through the basic rules neccessary to help all of them making characters. Some knew parts about making a character, but noone knew them better than me (6 years later i can only marvel at how many fuckups we did at that chargen).
After that it was time for the quest to begin. They were given a task of scouting a place out to hunt down an infamous pirate who had just docked here.
Immediately upon arriving at the building they're supposed to head into, the party split into three groups, one of which enter, one watches the entrance, and the third fucks off to walk around.
First combat is against a level 3 sorcerer and a group of thugs setting up an ambush. With the interior of the room being cramped, only three players having tested combat beforehand, and trying to handle 8 players plus eidolon and animal companions... A clusterfuck. Took so long we ended the session after the fight, as i recall.

A good one-shot run by a friend of mine overnight. We spent a good hour or two constructing our characters, then another shooting the shit and plating Giant Chess waiting for the DM to do some fine-tuning to the scenario.

When we got in, the first couple of hours were spent making puns, fucking around, and trying to get the thief from looting the fuckin tavern.

We get tasked by a dwarf to find an artifact, find it in possession of a young, white Dragon named Farilax.

I remember his name well as I was taking notes for the group and sat fucking stupidly for a minute and a half while the friggin dragon kept articulating on his name. I snapped out of it when he litteraly began spelling it to me.

Anyway, after nearly getting the rouge eaten through diplomacy (Dragonborn Battle-Clerics rock), we settled over the death of a local necromancer in exchange for the artifact.

A small horde of goblins and a lynched Mega-Zombie later, we were delivering the necro's head to Fairlax.

Despite a botched agility check later and a severed head flying into a dragon's eye accidently, we returned the item none the worse for wear.

And that was my first TTRPG.

The only shitty part of this affair was that I slept on the fucking floor with nothibg but my summer-wear hoodie for warmth. In the middle of winter. Once the day finnaly came, the the host brought out SEVERAL THICK BLANKETS for others.

this is how d&d is supposed to be

I played a druid who worshipped Nerull and my GM forced me to have sex with a dog and a tree all in one session. I hated that guy and he hated me. I was only there because it was a group of like 7 people and I was always interested in D&D. I didnt play an edge lord though thankfully. I was just a "death is a part of nature" kind of guy and thought worshiping the God of death would allow me to help things stave off death a little longer knowing all his wiley ways.

Awful. GM gave us pre-made characters at random (didn't even let us pick), railroaded us down a very narrow path, and then we ended session one half-way through a fight with a bunch of Kobolds who were obliterating us.
Cue session two a week later and the GM has completely forgotten what the plot was and what was happening so the entire campaign was abandoned.
Granted we, the players, were only about 14, but the GM was an adult who'd been playing for years so I had higher expectations.