D&D Adventuring Items

Aside from equipment like weapons, armor and basic supplies like food, water and torches, what items do you find extremely handy in D&D?
Also, which items did you think would come in handy that you ended up never/rarely using?

A trusty rock always comes in handy, or a bell, many keks were had with my bell.

a bell? How come?

Ball bearings
Fishing line and hook
Very distilled alcohol
Mirror
Water clock

Not him but I'm guessing trolling purposes in dungeons. You can tie it to a rope then have it in a corner and ring it. People go looking in that spot. Get an ass full of backstabbing

Nobody ever mentions a signal horn.

The bell comes in useful in so many areas, used to distract enemies, used to signal allies, used to do what said and also my favourite application of the bell, attaching it to the hapless sentry in the front, tying him up and sending him running, gagged into the enemies who, in the dark, mistake him for us and fill him full of holes. Man that was a fun session.

Chalk
10' Pole (with snare)
Hammer & Pitons
Smokesticks
Oil
Rusty Nails

>water clock
Aren't those things prohibitively large and heavy?

The classic old school dungeon delving item is an 11-foot pole, though mage hand cantrips and the like make it obsolete.

Chalk is still super handy for marking stuff and locating invisible enemies with the powder.

Ball bearings for tripping up enemies, or caltrops for similar mundane area-denial.

A hammer and pitons can help you climb or disable pressure sensitive trap triggers.

Chalk is a great idea, gonna plan on buying some next chance I get

Pretty sure our DM would demand more for it that it's worth for me, but the idea is great. Guess I'll go for a signal whistle

Collapsible pole in 4 x 3 ft sections.

Metal or wood wedges + mallet for jamming doors open or closed.

Chalk or charcoal for marking directions on walls, cleared rooms, occupied no go rooms, etc.

I once used a hammer and pitons to wedge open a well-hidden secret door. I don't think I ever used them for climbing.

Haha, who has?

If it just counts an hour or something it's portable. One that counts a whole day, yeah probably too heavy to take around with you.

I've honestly only ever used them to climb from a ledge. I don't think I trust a DM to let me make 1 check for the whole climb, and hammering metal into stone is loud enough that I'm always afraid I'll get attacked halfway up whatever I'm climbing.

Quarterstaff. Always. It's not quite 11ft pole good but it's still pretty handy and there's no reason not to almost always have it out when you're traveling.

Throw money at people, how much damage would a copper piece do?

Locket with a simple magical light source inside. Open it when you need it, points where you're looking.

A sling and pebbles or ball bearings, having backup ranged capabilities can't hurt. Plus it's incredibly light and portable.

Toilet paper.

A club or cudgel. If you need to knock someone out, or if your main weapon is removed/useless against the magnet wizard or whatever then you still have a heavy stick.

Salt. Flavour reasons mostly, fluff or food. But it classically has undead repelling properties too, and is a common trade good.

Just throw money at your problems

Climbing gear
Iron Spikes and Mallet
Tarp
Needle and thread

I find grappling hooks are never as useful as you expect when you buy them.

copper piece + light spell

> Drop one down a well/hole to gauge distance.
>Thrown into room to check size and [ in one game] screw up a deep gnome teams suprise attack when i suddenly illuminated them.

>MAYBE [if gm allows its] sharpen them and use them with a sling as improvised ammunition?

Lard and flour.
Lard works as grease, works as accelerant, makes cooking easier.
Flour is perfect for invisible enemies, and combines with the lard to make biscuits.
Everybody's happy.

Portable rams.

>The Basics
Backpack
Wineskin
Rope
Flask of Oil
Lantern
10' Pole
Flint & Steel
Iron Spikes
Hammer
Bedroll

>Extras
Prybar
Grappling Hook
Packet of Flour
Caltrops
Marbles
Rubber Ball
Candles
Fishing Line & Hook
Magnet
Chalk
Bell

Hooded lantern, and a slingstone. light spells are incredibly common, and work from a touched, designated source. knowing this, you can use a hooded lantern and a slingstone (or other sufficiently small, cheap material) to have directed light without expending fuel.

For added fun, cast darkness to create battlefield coverage for your teammates.

This, in my current campaign both the paladin and the bard have grappling hooks with them, however both can't climb for shit

I've never even thought of using a light source like that, could've used that when looking down a dark well the other day. Thanks!

Never leave home without a rope

Aurora's Whole Realms
/thread

Bags. Bags are great, take dozens of bags. Big waterproof bags with bits of rope on them are what you want.

Jars and vials are also great. You want them. DM says something cool is a liquid and I need a jar to take it? Well fuck you, I have jars for days, I'm taking it with me.

Carts. No bigger than a human-sized creature, so you can take it into a dungeon. If you aren't a pussy and loot everything like a real adventurer, then you want a cart to carry all that shit. Also good for moving bodies of fallen comrades. Have spare wheels and everything you need to repair it. Pack animals are strongly recommemded.

Manacles or zipcuffs. As many as you can get. Someday you will want to restrain something, and they will be helpful.

Know the capacity of every container in your inventory, as well as your own carry limit. Don't ask your DM "will it fit in my sack/cart/jar/asshole/etc" because he will look for ways to screw you over with that. Instead ask for the weight, volume, and/or other dimensions of the object and compare it to that of your containers and weight capacity.

>grappling hook
>rope
>crowbar
>battering ram if you can afford to carry that much weight around
Here's to breaking and entering, my friends.

Useful: Ropes. Lots and lots of ropes. For climbing, traps for people, trap for horses, lowering shit down, capturing ennemies that need to be interrogated, improvised weapons, bandoliers, useful for repairs, perimeter alarm tool, etc.

Not handy:
Shovel. I thought it would be useful, but it's never come up.

>Toilet paper
>Using expensive hand made paper for wiping arse instead of leaves or shitrag like normal people

Condoms

A candle. If it suddenly goes out in a dry, windless area, it's time to back out. Stick some coins or screws in the side and you've got a rudimentary clock.

>People go looking in that spot.
Memo to self: Teach minions to recognize painfully obvious distractions.

>A candle. If it suddenly goes out in a dry, windless area, it's time to back out.

Not sure if I'm following

Gas leak/low oxygen/evil spirit/unfriendly spellcaster

A thick, solid door.
>Barricades
>Weapon (melee and throwing)
>Shield
>Launchpad
>Bridge
>Put it over another door to confuse the first person to open it

I played a dumb ass orc Brawler in pathfinder and I always kept inn keys.

Copper, iron, whatever. They helped trading to goblins and other dumb species as shines. It helped that my DM never said we gave back the keys.

Well that sounds unorthodox

>huge af half-orc warrior with a friggin door as towershield

"When going gets tough, you call Braum."