/twewy/ - The World Ends With You TTRPG - Thread #06

Yes, we're still going edition.

What is the World Ends With You?
It's a strikingly original Square Enix action RPG from 2008 for the Nintendo DS about trust, collective consciousness, desperation, imagination and fabulous outfits. Characters are swept into the Underground, a parallel dimension linked to major urban centers, where they run through a 7-day gauntlet of tasks and trials by higher-plane beings called Reapers. Band together and win the Reapers' Game and you have a shot at returning to the Real World. Fail, and you face erasure.

>What is this?
This is a Veeky Forums Homebrew RPG based on the above game. It's designed to be fast, simple and exciting, and it adapts virtually all of the mechanics from the source game to a form optimized for a tabletop experience. Most importantly, we've striven to preserve its core themes of cooperation, psychic powers and elaborate fashions.

>What system are you using?
We've adapted the core resolution mechanic from another Tabletop game Tenra Bansho Zero into our system. Roll a pool of dice based on your Stats, and count each die that's under your Skill or Psych as a success. It's fast, easy and dynamic. Characters only have four Stats based on your strength of will and mental condition, and only 9 Skills; mixing and matching Stats with Skills creates unique actions, such as rolling Protect:Rhythm to block a punch or Protect:Flow to dodge out of the way.

To flesh out your character, you come-up with free-form Tags like "The Gambler"or "Street Smarts" which describe unique elements of your character's personality and background which fills in the gaps in your Skills. Altogether, character creation takes all of five minutes.

Combat is fast and emphasizes cooperation. Players fight as a team, sharing their a common pool of HP and passing buffs to one another so that a different Player gets to the the superstar of each Round. Range is abstract, numbers are small and the action is lightning quick.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit
drive.google.com/file/d/0ByXuM4vUEk8kc2QwTFJZR19ZMGc/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0ByXuM4vUEk8kVzZQdUFJSnFDdW8/view?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=-LK01R-sCNg
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zjgTsznzNLkqSAR9SoAkWZm5juZX6ZVtY76EUJkQxU4/edit#gid=0
drive.google.com/open?id=1JJQRubikTOJDyYnsQFCHmb_I9xMz-c-8HOazu8DIdiI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What have you done so far?
Here's our main document, which contains all of our ideas recorded en masse. We're currently in the process of transcribing this into a properly composed PDF.
>docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit

There are several supplementary files in the Google Doc, including character sheets and some appendices for Psychs (combat powers), Threads (clothing that grant abilities) and Noise (monsters).

>What's on the Agenda?
As said, we've got the basic mechanics down pretty solidly so we've got three main needs right now:

>1. Playtest
We're looking for anyone who's interested in helping to playtest at least the combat mechanics so we can know if we're on the right track or not. We've got the rules hammered out, basic character powers drawn up and simple monsters prepped, so now it's all about finding willing testers.

>2. Consolidation
As we said, we're starting to work on putting together the first draft of the rulebook. you can see our progress here:
>drive.google.com/file/d/0ByXuM4vUEk8kc2QwTFJZR19ZMGc/view?usp=sharing
Which contains our Dice Mechanics and Character Building. Most of this is being compiled by poster Rhythm+Flow, based on the Google Doc.

>What we need
Fluff pages for the front of the book and between each section of the rulebook.

As mentioned before, we gotta get some playtesters in here.

>3. More, more more!
We're still adding more to our collection of stat-ed out Pins here:
>drive.google.com/file/d/0ByXuM4vUEk8kVzZQdUFJSnFDdW8/view?usp=sharing
And we're still building more Noise to kill and discussing the finer points of interacting with the world. If you've got input, or even if you just like the game, we're looking for all the input and feedback we can get. May God have mercy on our souls.

Also, previous thread

Oh, cool, we're back

Thanks for the new thread Jazzman.

I still wont be able to post much until Monday morning. I may be able to pop in later tonight briefly.

I'll do what I can to keep the thread alive.

Here's a quick do-it-yourself project till the morning:

Come up with a new pin for an existing Psych that only has a few pins.

Example:
>Tidal Wave Barrier
Evolved form of Splish Splash Barrier

For Entanglement, Alice in Chains.

If we're aiming to avoid copywrite, either Alice in Ropes or Elise in Chains.

for Stellar Flurry pins, have Ora or Ata. Equipping more than one at a time adds dice to it, so you really need to consider strategy when piling more on.

Carrying Coffins
Dark Auto-Barrier
After use, it will block (# of successes) hits
Upgraded version of a Lapin Angelique (or substitute gothic brand) dark barrier pin

New pin idea
Possible type names: transmute, remix
Transform a nearby piece of clutter into a weapon
The exact weapon could be up to the player, or be limited by to each specific pin
Alternatively, it could be used as a more situational IP
Partially inspired by stone shape and summon weapon from d&d and the morpheus "class" from double cross
Aside from using clutter, which i think helps balance it, it's up to you guys how to tweak it

Bump

I'd suggest probably changing the size of a piece of clutter by 1 size category, or creating a small piece of clutter. It gives a reason to actually use it when clutter is around, and is incredibly useful for psychokinesis users. Changing clutter into weapons won't do anything, because it's still just clutter, so having something that changes its size category is important.

>Ora, Ata
What, no Muda?

I like your style, kid. I actually think there's conceivably a lot of room for cross-over between TWEWY and Jojo.

I definitely like "Remix" as the name for this. I think it would work nicely actually as a reason to take advantage of Clutter if you don't have Psychokinesis.

>What, no Muda?
But user, that pin would be useless

I could see there being a whole Joestar set though, or maybe a set bonus for having appropriate threads equipped.

Good morning thread!

Here's the example write-up for Players Defending themselves in the Noise Phase.

>Rikki, Leon and Daisuke are all attacked during the Noise Phase. In this case, each Noise has an attack power of 3.

>Rikki protects herself using her Intrinsic Psych, Motion Sans Joy. This is an Intrinsic Defense. She rolls dice equal to her Bravery (6) and aims to roll under the Defends ability of her Psych. She rolls extremely well, scoring 4 Successes, allowing her to completely avoid the Noise attack. This action spends 1 AP.

>Leon decides to use one of his attacking Psychs, Thunderbolt, as a Psych Defense. Thunderbolt is normally Resonant with Leon’s Flow, but when used as a Defense he needs to roll a different Stat, so he chooses his Insight instead. He roll his Insight dice (4), aiming at or under Thunderbolt’s Rank. He scores 2 Successes, and describes his attack as creating a shield of electricity around him. The Noise is still able to hit Leon, but his Psych Defense was able to reduce its attack power from 3 to 1. This costs Leon 2 AP.

>Daisuke thinks that the best defense is a good offense, so he defends with a Counterpsych. He rolls an attack with his Stellar Flurry Psych, using his Rhythm (6) as the dice pool as normal. He rolls 5 Successes, negating the Noise’s attack and scoring 2 Hits of his own. In doing so, Daisuke spends 3 AP, which is the cost of attacking with Thunderbolt.

Are these examples clear and useful? I'm going to explain each option in detail in this section, but I like leading into these major Attack and Defense headers with a brief overall description of what happens.

Does countering cost the amount to use the pin or a flat 3 AP?

It's based on Pin cost. I'll clarify that, thanks.

Basically the three options boil down as follows:

>Intrinsic Defense
The cheapest but riskiest. You NEED to score Successes equal to your enemy's Attack, otherwise your defense does nothing. It only costs 1 AP, and you can always do it because Intrinsic Psychs never need to reboot.

>Psych Defense
The most reliable defense. Even if you don't beat your enemy's attack, you can still reduce it to take less damage. It costs double what an Intrinsic Defense is, and it consumes a Pin's Uses, plus the whole "need to use a different Stat" rule.

>Counterpsych
Defense with a twist. If you beat your enemy's attack you can score Hits that deal damage, but if you fail you take damage like you would with a failed Intrinsic Defense. It can potentially cost more than a Psych Defense, and it consumes Uses, but you get to use the Psych's resonance as its designed.

I think these are some pretty balanced options, what does the thread think?

Oh and all credit to Archivist, I think, who came up with the Counterpsych idea and added it to the google doc.

I think that counter should be the cost of the pin plus 1. That way, using your pins in the noise round isn't just the most viable strategy.

Good call. It also gives added incentive to carry-over AP into the Noise Phase to allow you to Counterpsych better.

Question, can you counterpsych with your IP?

Hmm, good question. It would cost 3 AP to do so (since it normally costs 2 AP to use an IP), so it's 3x more expensive than just doing an Intrinsic Defense, so it may be balanced.

Hard Rock
Alternate upgrade for Long Live the Rock
Target is turned to stone, and inflicted with defense blight
(Optional)If a Noise is destroyed while under the effects of this psych, it can be considered clutter for the purpose of psychs that require it

Ha that's awesome. I love it.

I'm thinking we can actually use the "counts as Clutter" feature as an effect for Freeze/Rock Bind Psychs in general.

Thanks, glad to know i'm on a roll
What did you think of the remix psych type and Carrying Coffins
I realize it wasn't quite what you were looking for, but it was kinda late when i thought of it

No worries, more contributions the better.

This was actually me here , I forgot to add my tag. I really like the idea of transforming Clutter into weapons, as it gives another purpose for Clutter aside from being ammo for Psychokinesis and for Grizzlies to smack around.

But "weapons" don't do anything. Unless you mean they'd act like, say, Shockwave pins or Lance Lunge pins or something, in which case why not carry that one pin instead of others and wear threads that make more clutter appear.

Major update to the Basic Combat section. Rules for the three kinds of defense are spelled out. I'll be working on a summary page shortly as well after I take care of some desk work.

(new work is on pages 9-11).

It all depends on how we write its effects. If the attack is written as "Turn a piece of Clutter into a weapon to attack" then it's fine. I'm not suggesting that Remix would let you carry around a permanent supply of improvised weapons.

That seems like exactly what they'd do
They'd probably be trading versatility for power, considering these weapons couldn't be upgraded like psychs
If anything, pins that make clutter would probably be encouraged, letting them get maximum possible usage out of the psych

"Congrats, you now have a pin which is all close range pins at the same time."

Doesn't seem broken at all, dunno what you're talking about.

it's not the permanent supply, it's having the versatility of potentially all close combat pins at any one time, as long as there's a single piece of clutter.

And then another pin that makes clutter and they suddenly have infinite close combat pins for all combats.

Forgot to put my name on before, by the way.

I'd say, for balancing purposes, it could behave like a baseline shockwave, lance lunge, or force rounds psych depending on the form, and lasts until the next round

Like I said it all depends on how we write it. I'd be in favor of giving it a totally unique structure and ruleset, just as most other Psychs are built with their own rules fitted along a roughly-standard template.

It's something that we're going to need to work on when we tackle custom psychs.

That'd make it effectively useless from mag 2 pins onward. That's too nerfed, and nobody would use it anyway. If you want this pin, make it a pin that makes weapons that scale with its own mag. Say, for example, it makes a weapon as per a standard pin of 1 mag less than itself. At mag 1, it can only make mag 0 pin weapons, and at mag 3, can only make up to mag 2 pin weapons. And they have to be standard pins, not pins that have been "magged up" to reach those levels. I think that's balanced better.

... Or, potentially, it will make a weapon with as many uses as the pin it's copying, but once the uses run out, it breaks.

That could work too

Since we're on the topic of working out the logistics of Psychs:

How can we differentiate between Velocity Attack, Lance Lunge and Spear Strike?

For the record here's the Pin sheet with Velocity Attack on it.

Oh and if anyone wants to pitch in some in-universe fluff to use as a preface for the System Overview, Character Building, Intrinsic Psychs and Basic Combat chapters it would be extremely appreciated.

Anything up to a page in length would be perfect.

To differentiate, perhaps having Lance Lunge drag the enemy so far, and Spear Strike hit one enemy from far away? Spear Strike travels far and hits one target, Lance Lunge pins an enemy and shoves them and Velocity Attack bounces like a pinball machine.

Oooh that would work nicely.

Velocity Attack is multiple targets, low damage
Spear Strike is high damage, one target
Lance Lunge is medium damage, moves target

Good call! I've literally been struggling with that since we finished the third page of Mag-0 Pins.

Velocity Attack pin
Pinball Striker
tons of hits, really low damage

I think you mean Pinball Wizard.

Quick bump before tonight's game

Tin Pin Ball

youtube.com/watch?v=-LK01R-sCNg

This is the best TWETY song. What other kind of music do you think would be appropriate for the game?

I really like Game Over, but that song is pretty good too.

Also good. Like I said, Pinball Wizard appeals to me because of Jojo.

Question before bed:

>What city would you set your game in? What would it's underground be like?

I was thinking either Venice or New York.

I would imagine Venice's underground be hella more influenced by fashion since so much of it get produced over in Italy. As for the people behind it, I would imagine that there would be a heavy influence from the mafioso elements as well, making mook reapers gang initiates and the bigger ones into capos. Kind of want to imagine what the don would look like in something like this.

As for New York, I would imagine the underground being shared over the burroughs like Shibuya districts but with each having a designated reaper leader heading up those territories that all answer to a big boss reaper somewhere in Manhattan. Here, the reapers don't think of the underground or the lives in it as games but rather as business, each seeking to capitalize on strong players and often backstabbing each other to keep the market flowing in relative sense.

Bump

Morning bump!

>I would imagine Venice's underground be hella more influenced by fashion since so much of it get produced over in Italy. As for the people behind it, I would imagine that there would be a heavy influence from the mafioso elements as well, making mook reapers gang initiates and the bigger ones into capos. Kind of want to imagine what the don would look like in something like this.

I'd love to do a game set in Boston, and I'd do something similar with structuring the Reaper organization as a mob with the Composer as a godfather-like figure.

Bump. Lot of work to do this morning but I may be able to finish up the Basic Combat chapter today! After which time we'll get to start getting seriously cracking on the Noise Reports.

And here's the Defense Summary!

All I really have left is to put in the rules for the five key status effects (Attack Break, Defense Break, Immobilize, HP Drain and Stagger) and for Clutter.

Need help with Clutter.

I'm doing examples of objects for the Clutter Scale. I need more suggestions for Medium and Big Clutter.

Here's what I got so far:

>Small
Sewer covers, street signs, traffic barriers, wooden crates, bicycles, trash cans

>Medium
Motorized scooters, postboxes, metal crates, cinderblocks,

>Big
Automobiles, ???

Aaaaaand Basic Combat is COMPLETE

I still need to fill in some more stuff for Clutter, and I'll need to go back through and reformat the first third of the text-boxes, but for now it's done!!!

Playtested with my friends. They seem to like combat the most.

The only downside, which is the same for every RPG, but more noticeable for this one, is that you really need to be able to DM well. For a game with fast pacing like this, you need to be able to keep track of things. That's not just for this system, as I said, but it's more noticeable in this more freeform and fast style.

Now, because we have such a fast combat system, we also need to make sure the rewards aren't TOO great for just farming. I set my party up against 5 basic frog noise that I made up on the spot (stats: HP 5, damage 1, defense 0, 2 AP) and the party of 3 destroyed them in 2 rounds, totaling maybe a minute of time in combat. I wasn't sure what to give them so I gave them 5 10 yen pins, because I didn't want them just grinding cash the entire session, as there were other things we were testing too.

Later, I had them test their skills in a simple "run from A to B" scenario. Skills are fine, though a bit underwhelming, was the general consensus. One of my players decided to pick the best route with Move:Insight and another used Move:Rhythm to barge through any people, even though I told him he was effectively phasing through people because they were in the UG. Still, they got to their destination in time because of the combined effort, so I'm glad about that.

As two of the three players had already played TWEWY before, when presented with a wall, they knew exactly what to do. They fought a couple Grizzlies (stats: HP 15, attack 3, defense 1, AP 2, can hit Clutter at Players) which they dispatched fairly quickly as well (there were only 2) and were quickly on their way. I gave them a 1000 yen pin from the wall reaper and another two 500s from the Grizzlies.

That was pretty much where we ended the session, because one of them needed sleep and the other two needed to eat food.

And that's my summary for the playtest. My advice will be in my next post because character limit.

Alright, so basically, I'd advise either making a scenario grid, like an encounter grid for having something to do each day (if you want to have a fast game of something between sessions of other things) or have a scenario laid out in the book already planned, with other scenarios and noise and stuff in additional content.

I like what I'm seeing here!

Really glad that you could put some of this to use.

My main thought approaching playtesting was combat, because in most games it's crucial that combat be mechanically coherent and balanced. Skills, as they current stand, are naturally underdeveloped and we're definitely going to flesh them out significantly.

Regarding situations where you would use Skills, it's worth noting that because the fact that players can't really interact directly with people in the RG except in specific circumstances, GMs should be encouraged to build up the UG more than it was in the source game. Therein, the UG was basically just an open playground for you to run from A to B in and fight Noise in. For a game in this project to really succeed, I think GMs should be encouraged to play the UG as more of a functioning society. That will give more things for the Skill system to have traction on.

Questions:

1. What Psychs did they use?
2. How did they find the concepts of character building?
3. Did you use an actual battlemap or was it played electronically/Theater-of-the-mind?

Super glad to know that combat was nice and fast. Those are some very helpful benchmarks you provided for when we start pumping out more detailed Noise.

Really though, huge thanks for the initial playtest. The timing couldn't be better I think.

>What Psychs did they use?
They were using their basic Intrinsic Psychs. I wanted to see how well those worked before introducing new ones.

>How did they find the concepts of character building?
One of them built his character really fast. He and I both play Dresden files, which has similar fluff being crunch like tags (aspects in Dresden). The other two were expecting that a character would not need to have fluff, and could add that later. The slowest one asked for a character sheet that was already made, because they're not so great with fluff off the cuff.

>Did you use an actual battlemap or was it played electronically/Theater-of-the-mind?
Battlemap. It helps visualise, for me, where everything is.

>Those are some very helpful benchmarks you provided for when we start pumping out more detailed Noise.
I think the numbers I used were pretty much on point, you could probably even bump the frogs up a bit in health. I'm not entirely sure what to do about health, so I took the players' highest stats and added them together to make the total health pool. This gave them enough health to survive the Grizzly's attacks, but it was low enough to have them worry about it.

>I took the players' highest stats and added them together to make the total health pool. This gave them enough health to survive the Grizzly's attacks, but it was low enough to have them worry about it.
That's very close to what's in the Combat Manual, where the total is the sum of ALL the Player's stats. But if "Sum of Highest Stats" is a more interesting experience then we should go with that.

>They were using their basic Intrinsic Psychs. I wanted to see how well those worked before introducing new ones.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Wow I'm glad that it went so smoothly. Sorry the Skill system was so underdeveloped, but at least Combat isn't totally unplayable!

Sum of all stats just makes characters not worry about anything because unless the enemies are going to be swinging for massive damage, you already start at day 1 with 11 hp per player. And that's 1 less than what my players had TOTAL. The amount of damage that would be actually threatening to characters would have to be so large that it wouldn't be blockable.

I understand making it for chain battles, but that is supposed to be incredibly hard in comparison to regular combat anyway.

I believe highest stat is probably a better way of handling health. Damage is supposed to be low enough to block or dodge, and having low health will make blocking and dodging important.

Also, it makes healing more effective.

>Sorry the Skill system was so underdeveloped, but at least Combat isn't totally unplayable!
I think that the combat is as fleshed out as we need it to be right now, anything more would be polish. We should look more into the other parts of the game, such as fleshing out skills and making more headway on either DM advice sheets (for newer DMs) or scenario building.

But, I too, am glad everything was okay.

For GM Sheets, we should put together a single sheet where the GM can plot out all the stuff he needs for a given day, including its time limit, main task and sub-tasks, non-random battles and plot notes. That would definitely help a GM plan stuff out.

On that note, we need to work out some of the possible Tasks that the Reapers might assign. Some are simple ("Get from A to B" or "Exterminate a specific Noise here"), but we can be more creative than that. TWEWY, as awesome as it is, was limited by its interface and design. As a tabletop game, there are no such limits.

>GM can plot out all the stuff he needs for a given day
Yes, but I meant something like a scenario roller, for if the session is going too quickly and they need to pad out the day for whatever reason.

>Tasks that the Reapers might assign.
My last wall reaper gave the players the task to get him some food. He then explained how food works in the game.

Good call. I'll definitely add that to the to-do list.

We should use that as an example in the GM guide of using Tasks to teach game mechanics. Bringing food to a Reaper teaches the players not just how food works but, if they haven't already purchased Threads, that they have the ability to cart off certain physical objects from the RG to the UG.

Bump

Bump Heavenly.

Also we still need input on this.

Natural Bumpy

>???
Dumpsters?

How did I not think of that? Thank you

No problem dude

Alright so priorities:

>1. Noise Reports
I'm going to work on a template for Noise Reports. I'll probably do it as a shared Google Sheet this time so everyone can work on it.

>2. GM Suite
We need to put together a collection of tools and information to help GMs run the game. Stuff like the Scenario Roller that Jazzman suggested here.

>3. Skills
The next major chapter is going to detailed rules for Skills. Once that's fleshed out we'll be better able to do a longer-term playtest.

Thoughts? Suggestions for these?

Bump with a question:

>Noise HP Stat
Right now our Noise HP Stat is Fidelity; by default Fidelity grants 2 HP per point, which can be modded by certain abilities.

I don't think the thread's ever been very satisfied with that name, especially alongside much more evocative stat names like Treble (for attack), Bass (for defense) and Tempo (for movement). Is there a better term we can use?

>Interest and Thread Activity
what can be done to drum up more interest and activity in the thread? Is this just the course of Veeky Forums homebrew projects that reach a certain level of maturity?

Now that parts of the game are playable, it's conceivable that we could start showing it off in other places to increase interest.

>Noise HP stat
Volume?
>Interest and Thread Activity
Well, if we have any would-be drawfriends, we could always do some clothing/logo/pin designs, either for new pin types and threads within the existing brands, or logos, pins, and threads for brands created within the thread
Well, if we have

Volume is my first thought too, but we already measure a Noise's strength in Decibles, so it's kind of re-using the idea.

Speaking of Noise, take a look here:

>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zjgTsznzNLkqSAR9SoAkWZm5juZX6ZVtY76EUJkQxU4/edit#gid=0

Here's what I'm proposing for the Noise Reports. I'm trying to keep it as simple and easy to follow as possible.

For HP, I figure that it should be the product of 3 elements:

>Fidelity (or whatever we call it)
each point in Fidelity is X HP, based on:

>Size
Small Noise like Frogs get 5 HP per Fidelity. Medium and Big Noise no doubt get more HP for each point of Fidelity.

>Special Abilities
Some Noise may have abilities like Armor or Bulk that increase their HP even more.

How does this look? Thoughts? Suggestions?

8 for medium and 10 for large?

Definitely either 7 or 8 for Medium. 10 for Big sounds good.

I added the Mosh Grizzly to the report, based on Jazzman's playtest. To give it 15 HP I have it Fidelity 1 and a Special Ability "Burly" which grants +5 HP.

Burly could be a 1.5x multiplier for fidelity too.

That would make it scale nicely. We can keep the description in the Special Abilities box "+5 HP" but when we write up the rules for Noise and include their special abilities we should note the specific rules for that ability. Good suggestion.

So for the GM Scenario Roller:

What if we do a 2d10 Roll, giving 100 possible results.

One die maps to a Player's possible Skills, which is interpreted as the task's nature. like Fight could be "Fight some dudes", whereas Speak would be "Go talk to some dudes". These aren't meant to be the ONLY way of handling the task, just the most obvious way. Players can naturally use their Skills to come up with unique ways of solving the task.

Of course there are only 9 Skills so the 10th position would have to be something else.

The other d10 would modify each scenario. Like if 1 is "Speak" then 1-1 could be "Talk to some low-level Reaper" for some reason and 1-3 might be "Go talk to a several different people."

Would something like that work? It would need to be fleshed out, obviously, but I can see potential there. Each X-Y combination would be a unique Task designed around a specific Skill as the main approach, so there's of course 100 possible tasks.

Alright I'm about to head out for the evening.

Here's a question for the thread:

>What concepts would you introduce to the Underground society in your game?

Jupiter of the bump

Bumpin Angelique

You could call it reaper sports, like they have in the actual game.

What ones do we know? I remember Tag, but I think the rest that are mentioned are all made up by Beat.

Bump

Russian Roulette, Tag, Hide-And-Seek, and one where you win by erasing the most players.

Pre workout bump

Check it out:
>drive.google.com/open?id=1JJQRubikTOJDyYnsQFCHmb_I9xMz-c-8HOazu8DIdiI
As I said, the sports I think can be possibly themed around a Player's skills, plus one set of Sports that are mostly luck-based.

Some random idea for Reaper Sports:

>Games of Endurance
HEAT WAVE: Every Beat that passes from the start of this game increases the outdoor temperature of the UG by 5 degrees. Interior structures are protected, so any Players that can't take the heat need to get out of the fire until they can complete some task (such as reaching a specific location in the UG).

>Games of Expression
SHOW-OFF: The Players gain the ability to manifest their creativity in the RG, such that grafitti painted on a wall will appear for people in the RG to see. By doing so the Players must gather a certain amount of attention within a given time frame.

>Games of Protection
ESCORT: The Players must escort a person from the UG to a specified point in the UG. This person is marked by the Reapers as a magnet for Noise and other UG threats, so the players have to protect that person.

Couple others:

>Struggle
2-1: SHAKEDOWN: Another Reaper or Undergrounder has the key you need to complete your task. Get it from him by any means necessary.

>Protection
3-1: KING OF THE HILL: You must defend a certain area or object from incoming threats for a certain amount of time.

>Movement
6-1: FETCH: The Reapers need something. Go get it.
6-2: GO TO: Get from A to B. The simplest Reaper Sport.
6-3: RACE: Go To with a twist. Get there before someone else does.

Two more. This is kind of fun because you can pretty much take any kind of kid's game and twist it into a more sinister form.

>PERCEPTION
5-1: DEFECTION: Someone in the UG isn't who they say they are. If you figure out who it is they'll give you what you need to complete your task.

>MOVEMENT
6-4: CAPTURE THE FLAG: You need to retrieve something from an area of the UG heavily patrolled by Noise or Reapers.

Bump. Man slow day today.

Feel free to trash as many of these as you like, i'm just spit-balling to see what sticks.

>SPEECH
1-0: Memetwork: Make a designated word or phrase the newest fad of an RG district.

>STRUGGLE
2-2: Interception: As Shake Down, but getting the item before the target manages to move from A to B.

>DEXTERITY
8-0: Killing Floor: Go To, but with a damage floor. Rooftop and sewer access is top priority!

>ENDURANCE
9-1: European Extreme: Complete another (randomly-determined) Reaper Sport, while at a massive life penalty.

>LUCK
0-1: Tin Pin Slammer :^)

These are great, especially Interception and Killing Floor.

>STRUGGLE
2-3: Death Blossom: Several breeds of Noise will be designated for reaping. Hit your quota. Larger Noise are worth more points!

>THOUGHT
4-0: Premortem Analysis: Investigate and discover the secret of the district/people/etc.

How does "Hunting Season" sound instead of Death Blossom?

>SPEECH
1-1: Smooth Talk: Convince a specific Undergrounder to handle a certain task.

>DEXTERITY
8-1: Butterfingers: Transport a selected object from one area to another. If it breaks or gets destroyed, you're through.

>THOUGHT
4-1: Password: Suss out a secret codeword to complete your task.

Sounds good.

Since the Reaper Sports are coming along nicely, how about another world-building question:

>What kind of non-Reaper characters would you add to the Underground?
I like the idea that the Underground we see in TWEWY is just a part of a more complex society that's powered by the collective consciousness of the place it sits on-top of. The Reapers and their Game is ultimately the reason for its existance but it would give the GMs and Players both more traction if they had more stuff to interact with than just Reapers and Noise.

I've got two thoughts:
>Daemons
Daemons are Undergrounders who work for the Reapers but aren't themselves Reapers. They carry out tasks that allow the UG to function and facilitate the Game. Some of them are former Players who didn't do well enough to be brought back to life but didn't want to join the Reapers. Others came from...other places. Maybe they were spawned direct from the UG.

Daemons do things like maintain the Tags that are used to allow Players to temporarily return to the RG to buy stuff.

>Out-of-Bounders
Also called Bounders or Oobies (derogatorily), these are ex-Players and defunct Reapers who somehow were able to escape the control of the Reaper organization and carved out niches for themselves in the UG. Depending on the nature of the UG and the personality of its Composer, Bounders might be a legitimate subculture in the UG or they might be a hunted minority, stomped out at the earliest opportunity (this is probably the case in Shibuya).

That's what I've been thinking off. Anyone else?

>Psychics
Some people of the RG have a heightened awareness of the UG's actuality, either psychically or intuitively able to perceive the existence of Noise, players, reapers, or the spread of ideas through the aether even if the significance or bigger picture of their awareness escapes them.

>The Awakened, or simply Awake: resurrected players, well-informed psychics, or simply normal RG people who happen to be in the know of the Raper's Game and the UG's hierarchy and dealings. While the GM personally or via proxy MAY keep an eye of the Resurrected to make sure their knowledge of the UG and heightened soul level doesn't come back to bite them in the ass, unknown Awakened who've never caught the GM's eye and even ones who have can form factions all on their own with unique values and motivations, and quite possibly values opposed to the monopolizing authority of the GM.

>Goblins
A general term exercised among the ranks of the Reapers to describe psychics and individual Reapers who've managed to scrape up enough power, resources, information, or luck to begin influencing the UG in their own way officiated by Shibuya's masters. They are generally small, few, and alone, and exert minor influence over Shibuya via their gifts occasionally cause bumps in the Composers plans but mostly simply being annoyingly unpredictable or minor threats to the forces that currently hold power. Their gifts might include imprinting ideas, trends, emotions, or unapproved Memes via weird homebrew Noise, exploitation of the Reaper Game's technology (such as the phone apps), or homemade "tags" similar to those of the player friendly shops or Kat's graffiti.

>Faerie
Mysterious and strange spiritual beings that were spontaneously born from the colliding energies of UG's higher planes forming sentient ideas. They are really, really weird, and lack most instincts that humans and post-humans take for granted. If they take physical form at the lower levels at all expect them to be naked figures of white light, who's emotions and actions seem to embody an idea or emotion (an ideology or certain frame of mind) rather than a complex individual. They have a limited ability to change or be swayed via interaction and mostly just ARE they way they are, though they're sensitive to imprinting.

>officiated by Shibuya's masters
*unofficiated

>Wisps
Weird little psychic phenomena. Scrambled up soul bits from the recently erased (players and noise) rarely coagulate and form temporary, volatile, and weak but chaotic psychic echoes. Think of them as as the intersections of overlapping ripples on the surface of a pool into which bugs occasionally drop dead into and sink down, temporary centralization of the energy transferred across the abyss's fabric before entropy has time to evenly distributes that recently released energy. Their domain is split between the plain of ideas and the UG, though they can spread weak (and limited) emotions and ideas to those of the RG similar to the work of Noise and imprinted Memes. They can be combated, and drop Memes into the players phones when they die, those these are usually completely unrelated to the mission (or at most incidental to it). They may seem to embody emotions and instincts, but will not stay the same state for are not complex life forms. Minor forms of psychokinesis, super natural phone apps, and the interaction of Noise on the living seem to glitch around them. (To the player they're basically just quirky, weird, world-fluff Pig Noise)