Hey Veeky Forums...

Hey Veeky Forums, I was wondering if I could get recommendations for a system or homebrew to run a Fate Stay Night style campaign

Anyone got anything you think would fit the bill?

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/046n0z
heavens-feel.com/fate_nasuverse_rpg.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1tgHTQY5OfUQMxXNLbBQd-Wrwv5fLSax-RGOsXuUUmIs/edit)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Godbound or Exalted.

The characters in those games are meant to be demigods from the start and they can do some crazy insane things so they'd be perfect for Servants.

Mages could be "Heroic Mortals" who aren't on par by any means but given the right circumstances can give servants a run for their money.

here's a link to godbound sendspace.com/file/046n0z

Thanks I'll give it a look, me and my friends are big Fate Fans and and wanted to try an anime style campaign instead of typical DnD so this helps a lot

If you want a system that can stat almost any power down to minute details, look at Anima. It's a crunch heavy anime inspired fantasy game which is good for any sort of over the top fantasy.

If you're okay with something more abstract, I'd recommend Legends of the Wulin. It's originally designed for Wuxia stuff but it works well for anything action oriented. In particular for Fate, the ability to make a characters ideals and beliefs mechanical bonuses feels very much in theme for the franchise.

What would be the best way to run a Fate/ style campaign? The classic 7 master free-for-all would be very hard to do at a table. Maybe something in line with the 7 v 7, where players control all of the Masters on one side? Maybe just a few players, like 3, as Masters in as allies. Or 3 masters, with other players also acting as their 3 servants?

I second Anima, it has plenty of groundwork for Nasu works.

However, last thread we had about Nasuverse, it basically boiled down to "The only good way to play in Nasuverse, is to not run a Grail war".

First, you have to realize that the Fifth war is an odd war by itself, with the masters all being children and women, ending up in constant alliances and a duality of good guys and bad guys. The Fourth war was closer to reality, and how actually magi operate in Fate.

If you really need to have servants, there is a kind of a side way. Everyone builds a Nasuverse character, and for some reason they are stuck in the middle of an active war. Take inspiration from Fate/Strange Fake, and have them each player have a single Command Spell, and it can be used to summon a Servant for one battle, and they are then forced to abuse the system and the alliances.

So, unless you have a good idea on how to play a Grail war, either with Servants PC or not, 7 free for all, 7 vs 7 Apocrypha Style, or Extra styled "Tournament to death", you most likely run into more issues than it's worth. Just go full Tsukihime/KnK/DDD and have weird characters in an even weirder urban fantasy.

Eh, I think you could still run a grail war, it's a question of ensuring the players understand the narrative tropes of the series along with the in character/in universe rules.

Yes, the series tells you that Holy Grail Wars are brutal contests where there are no allies... But the story never actually works that way. You always end up with a group of Masters and Servants who are generally allies and work together for most of the plot. If your players are on board with that idea, you can work as a group to keep things coherent instead of it becoming a PvP murderbrawl.

The First Grail War was a murderbrawl of epic proportions, don't forget that. It taught the three families how their little game would be actually played. The Third War as far as we know it's about how every family tried their best to cheat as much as possible, and the Fourth is the same thing, only by that point the war was infamous enough that most of the smart people just turned their backs to it. The Fifth war is an oddity, something extremely weird based entirely for "The Strongest Servant is on the hands of the most retarded master".

But if you are all set up on running a classic grail war, you first gotta decide the style. Stay Night free for all, Apocrypha team based, Ataraxia "The war was over, but not anymore" clusterfuck, Extra Tourney, or Grand Order Rules (That means no rules).

Second, is choosing if Servants are PC or not. Obviously if there is a married couple or two in the group you can easily give everyone pairs, but if you don't then stuff will get bad if people miss one or two sessions because it fucks not only you as a GM, but another player.

Third is the system. The thing I recommend is a Nasuverse fanmade one, found on "Heavens-feel dot com", that has a lot of quick and fast support for making Nasu characters. With this comes the hard hard, how to balance the party in general.

Fate has a weird balance, with strong Servants with weak Masters and vice versa, as well weaklings and bullies together. The only reason both Tohsakas lost was because servant incompatiblity, but Medea can live on her own until the end of the war by playing smart. And Illya and Berserker is clearly something you don't want to fight no matter what, even with plenty of bullshit.

(cont)

And lastly, comes the hardest part of all. Will the PCs make their own characters or not. This is a big deal if you are making Servants, because unless you have a system for Noble Phantasms (Which heavens-feel kind of has but not really) they will end up making balancing multiple PC a living hell. Anima has actually a better system for making Noble Phantasm, but the English translation is butchered a lot, so either go read a lot of unofficial errata o unofficial modifications to the system.

On Anima, you can make mages low lvl (Kind of a 10 level gap between them) to clearly make them on different leagues, but it's a system where one or two levels is a big fucking deal so you will need to minmax a lot to 1v1 a Servant. Also, it's magic system is not very Nasu-ish, but psychic/ki makes it easy to make non-magi Masters have some supernatural qualities.

So my main offer is, first find players and see what they actually want to play. Then see if you will have Servants PC or not, and with that the system selection gets a lot easier. If the game is master focused, go Heavens-feel. If the game is mixed, Anima probably your best bet. If the game is Servants only with Masters NPCs just go any very high power system.

I guess it all depends on how much you're willing to accept abstraction. A lot of what you're saying makes sense if you want to get into the minutiae of Fate, and I know that's what appeals to a lot of people, but I think it's a lot simpler to use something like Legends of the Wulin for a game more focused on the themes than exact specifics of how things work. LotW can represent almost any set of abilities as a functional fighting style, as well as letting you factor in more ephemeral things as real, active combat bonuses, along with having a great combat system to boot.

It's far from the only way to run it, but it's the one I'd go with, since I don't mind bending things a bit to fit the RPG format.

It's also worth noting that the Servant/Master disparity is another thing that is talked about a lot in the fluff, but never really seems to apply in the actual show. When Masters are forced to fight Servants, they always seem to hold their own unless they're suddenly getting ganked or sneak attacked.

Monsters and Other Childish Things

Honestly I'm a fan of crunch heavy games, so I kind of lean to the side that the system needs to support either through brew or from the box to most of the mechanics. Otherwise, you can just play by post on a forum and just run from it with some dice rolls here and there to decide outcomes. I need the "Inflexible flexibility" of numbers to give an abstract concept actual value as close as possible.

That's really a Fifth war thing, with only three masters being able to fight 1v1 against Servants. Souchirou because he is a living weapon made to win a single battle no matter the cost being amped up with one of the strongest Mages. Shirou via the power of being a protag, and Rin by getting one of the strongest magical tools ever created. Kirei lost against fucking Assassin, Illya is a better mage than Rin and she can't do jack shit, Sakura is the "Anti-Grail" so she has very easy fights against Servants.

Again, Fourth war. Not a single Master vs Servant because everyone knew it was suicide, and most of the masters were the creme de la creme.

The forth war really was just the closest there ever was to a conventional holy grail war, while the fifth one just outright wasn't supposed to happen nearly so soon and kind of just caught everyone off guard due to weird leftover stuff from the last one

I've been running a Grail War / oWoD mix up game for a few sessions now. With recent schedule changes on my part though, it looks like I'll probably be rebooting the game. I used the WoD system because I am familiar with it but found that I basically made most of the rules up as we went along. There's probably a better system out there for Fate style games specifically but it was more of a WoD mash up and for the most part the rules didn't matter too much. I approximated mage spells through mage and servant abilities through disciples and exalted charms. The game was moderately successful and hopefully fun for the players.

As stated already master/Servant split is really difficult to pace and split up "screen time" properly. Without a directly antagonistic servant or something like that it just ends up being masters in RP scenes and servants in combat scenes most of the time. However, having players all be masters works in a Apocrypha style game but the 7 master limit makes it so that you either have very few players playing masters or forces you to make the game more pvp orientated (which in my opinion does not make for good gaming for everyone).

>Without a directly antagonistic servant or something like that it just ends up being masters in RP scenes and servants in combat scenes most of the time.
Servants are supposed to be heroic, and if your players aren't getting that impression just by interacting with them you're doing something wrong.

>Servants are supposed to be heroic
Medea
Medusa
All Berserkers except Nightingale
All Hassans except Serenity
Alter servants
Gilgamesh
Spartacus
Camilla
Edmond Dantes

You can be "heroic" and still "antagonistic".

Que the quote "Everyone is the hero of their own story."

Here's a link to a Fate-Nasuverse RPG. Its worth looking into I guess.

heavens-feel.com/fate_nasuverse_rpg.html

Heroic doesn't have to mean good, yes. What I meant is that the players should want to interact with the heroes, and not only use them in combat. The Servant shouldn't be boring and should ooze their own unique heroism out of every pore.

One of the spinoffs featured two sides of 7 servants each. Try that.

HGW will never work on a crunch system.

The numbers and ranks are all meaningless bullshit that disguises an RPS contest featuring conceptual weapons, with in universe results being determined by GM fiat more or less. Shirou vs Gil is not a matter of fire rates, skill, precision, or anything else that can be measured numerically. It's a battle between the concept of experience vs resources, of effort vs talent. The GM chose which one he favored and that one won.

This may sound wierd, but there's a Jojo d10 made by user (available here docs.google.com/document/d/1tgHTQY5OfUQMxXNLbBQd-Wrwv5fLSax-RGOsXuUUmIs/edit) which, with a little conversion, I think could make for a good system for Fate.

There's also Strike!, with the tactical combat aspect and the out of combat aspect, but it doesn't have room for things like noble phantasms and I feel may end up resulting in too similar characters, despite the class/role separation.

>What is BESM?

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

I'm... not shilling strike?

I'm saying it's a subpar choice and should be avoided.

The most likely group of people shilling Strike would be Coon Goons, since it's their lovechild and the maker was deep in their crowd.

As is Dungeon World and 13th Age - funny how many bad DnD inspired clones come from there.

Someone or a few someones will give that exact response, word for word if you bring up Strike! in any non-negative context it really should count as spam.

The only reason Gilles was summoned in the 4th war was due to grail corruption. Try again secondary.