Hive Queen Quest 59.2

Deep within the sprawling hive your drones work tirelessly, carrying the large medical pod from its place in the hive to the interior of the silence chamber beneath the cover of the hive's psionic shroud. Elizabeth stands by the workers, guiding the pod to its new resting place as Lee's body shifts within, and the workers scurry away, immediately joining the others as they continue to carve out the final touches of the chamber as the hive structure begins to grow and envelop the walls, illuminating the chambers in a soft glow of bioluminescence. The inner labs, hidden within several redundant layers of psionic insulation, are already complete, as workers clamor over the sealed chamber as they work to link the thinkers within with hard line connections of nerve tissue linking the hive to the facilities within the chamber, while others still link additional wires of nerve tissue to the outer chamber's relay, hanging from the ceiling like a chandelier commanding the drones within, its exterior lined with the bulbous forms of thinkers hanging from the spindly form of the relay.

Elizabeth directs the workers as they assemble various lab equipment throughout the small facility, quickly assembling something akin to a medical bay before they wander off again to dig out the remaining smaller rooms and living spaces in the psionically insulated facility.

Welcome back to Hive Queen Quest!

>Archives suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Hive Queen Quest
>Twitter twitter.com/HiveQueenQuest
>Various pasta pastebin.com/u/QuestDrone
>FAQ ask.fm/QuestDrone
>Discussion page 1d4chan.org/wiki/Quest_talk:Hive_Queen_Quest

Thanks for running QD.

>tfw have to go to sleep early and get up early

Lee stirs in the medical pod as it slowly drains, and its membrane breaks open, spilling Lee to the soft floor where workers quickly catch him and carry him to something resembling an examination table lined with soft, fleshy pockets for cushioning as the drones place a pile of neatly folded clothing beside it. Lee slowly regains consciousness as your parasite runs its quick medical diagnostic, testing the neural response of his brain with the newly implanted alterations. Elizabeth hunches over with her tachyonic tuner, her mind relaying back and forth with the parasite as she tests the brain for any signs of continued degradation.

Lee looks up groggily, examining his surroundings with confusion before he leaps up and stumbles off the examination table with a yelp, grabbing the pile of clothes at his side after a brief moment of panic.

"Would you calm down? I realize my appearance must still take some getting used to-"

"W- no, what?" Lee says, confuses as he scrambles into his skinsuit, a rather basic hive imitation of a common design you've seen worn throughout the Union. "I just, well, am used to having clothes on." He says as the suit quickly seals itself. Elizabeth laughs.

"Is that all? I'm a doctor, you know. It's a part of my profession." She says, placing the tuner on the table. "As it is, I'd say the procedure was a success. The damaged parts of your brain have been mostly mended through mild genetic alterations and cerebral implants, replacing some of the more degraded parts with hive cybernetics. Fortunately, there wasn't much degradation at all yet, although as the implant takes root more of the vulnerable sections of the brain will be replaced, without altering any of the pre-existing neural pathways." She explains. "If you have any lapses in memory let me know, but other than that I think you're good to go in that regard. You won't be able to emit psionic signals, but you should be able to receive them just fine on your own now."
cont.

>while others still link additional wires of nerve tissue to the outer chamber's relay, hanging from the ceiling like a chandelier commanding the drones within, its exterior lined with the bulbous forms of thinkers hanging from the spindly form of the relay.

Why ARE they hanging from the relay instead of on the ground with wired connections?

>aesthetic

The entire chamber is psionically insulated, with a second shell of insulation within shielding the lab specifically. The relay on the ceiling is linked via nerves to the hive beyond, with thinkers on standby to help with research or to direct drones in the event that the chamber needs to be cut off from the hive, in which case the nerve links are severed.

I wonder if we could briefly... experiment with the psionic insulation.

Just insulate the Queen for 3 minutes, let the Thinkers keep things running for a short while.

Just to see if can block the notice of the Distant Mind.

...But if we actually test that, and it actually works, then said Distant Mind will also suddenly have new knowledge, that we do have something that can hide from their sight completely. We may not want to risk that...

We should show off our new bipedal heavy to Lee and Lyle, want to see their reaction again.

Well, on the other hand, we've recently seen that slowly increasing our knowledge of the Void could have benefits. The rate at which we can research psionic developments would increase, and we'd be better able to track Ceph incursions by sensing their slip drives. And if we were to try and catch a glimpse Them, I'd want to do by putting Queenie in this chamber while our thinkers ran the hive while we tried it.

Titan

Sight: Basic 0
Olfactory: Basic 0
Acoustic: Moderate 2N
Psionic: Basic 0
Radio: Basic 0
Mandibles: Combat 1N
Blade: Combat 1N
Arms: Strength 1N
Legs: Large Bipedal 4N 5M
Carapace: Heavy 5N 20M
Carapace: Conductive 4N 15M
Utility: Radiator Tubes 4N
Utility: Tail (Sledgehammer) 6N 10M
Forward Hardpoint: Plasma Spray 30M
Dorsal Hardpoint: Particle Cannon 30M
Arm-Slot: Heavy Thumper (L) 30m
Gun Ports:(4x) Plasma Cannon(60M)
Size: Large (X2)
Cost: 56N 400M
Upkeep: 28N

Here's the design as of now, with all the new info. Also corrected math.

Sorry for people who are sick of this

Why does it use combat blades of all blade types? I thought we were going for the thumpers.

A regular thumper kinda becomes irrelevant with a heavy thumper as the main arm weapon.

It's a placeholder for the moment really.

How many days has it been since we started terraforming QD?

I still wonder if there's a way to restore a human brain to its virgin state before it started having its hyper allergic reaction to tachyons.

We'd just have to, nudge things back to their original configuration, something somewhere is storing the state of how much tachyons it's absorbed. Somehow.

They really aren't the same, one is a flak cannon while the other is like a mortar launcher, and even if they were the same why not use them both? It definitely get more use in a fight than a combat blade.

I think it works more like radiation once you get hit by it the damage is done and if you keep getting exposed to it you die

because user we don't know if the union has any giant robots and if they do than as any good kaiju we must face it in CQC its a rule of the universe or something

"So I have a new brain, more or less?" Lee says.

"The brain stores and processes data through its neural pathways, not the individual cells. I removed and replaced cells, yes, but the pathways have been maintained. As it is, the procedure, and the degradation it stopped was no more damaging than a carrier in grav-ball. As the implants grow and continue to replace damaged cells, however, that should improve. Fortunately, I don't believe there was enough degradation to cause any noticeable memory lapses."

"Noticeable?" Lee asks, concerned. "I mean, it's not like I'd normally remember something I forgot."

"I simply mean any data that has been lost is more or less comparable to the data the human brain tosses out naturally. You likely didn't lose anything important, in other words." Elizabeth says. Lee looks around at the large chamber.

"Everything feels.... quiet again. The murmuring sounds are clearer, but I can only sense a few of them now." He says. Elizabeth nods.

"This area is shielded against psionic signals, both as a security measure against any psionic based threats, to assist in my research, and at least in part, for peace and quiet. I wasn't sure if it would be wise for you to wake up to the noise of the entire hive." She says. Lee looks over the facility as the drones finish their work, patching the last of the walls and surfaces as others tend to the quickly growing hive creep, slowly spreading new walls of flesh and support beams of bone throughout the open chamber. A speaker quickly makes its way to the table.

>Speak regarding official diplomatic contact with the Union (write in)
>Speak of other topics (write in)
>Other

>>Other
Go speak to Theseus about the possibility of a united alliance and your relationships to the both the Union and Commonwealth.

I'm looking through past threads and i just found Dr seiner's research notes on us on thread 27.

You find several research papers, each published in some scientific magazine originating from the planet Mentan in the Sirius system, according to the citations. The first is "local flora of G-426-1" and includes a wide range of observations about the various plants and fungal creatures, as well as several that seem to be somewhere between plant and animal. Most are only basic observations, including a detailed account of the effects of the local ocean spores on a human. The next is "Observations of Xeno Formicidae" and includes a number of sketches and photographs of your speaker, as well as several rough sketches and estimates of yourself and your workers, likely based upon the description given by Lee. There is an entire chapter on theories as to how the hive communicates and organizes itself. One of the most focused on is the observation that many life forms of the planet, including your drones appear to have sensitivity to radio waves, making that the primary theory. You continue to skim it to the end, where Seiner makes an argument for further observation.
"The possibility of an uneven distribution of intelligence should not be underestimated, nor should such implications be easily dismissed. If indeed the drones are controlled by remote signal it is entirely possible that they are entirely devoid of sentience. If such is the case, it could be entirely possible to decode this as yet unknown signal for the purposes of communication and manipulation of lone, leaderless drones without concern of moral implications. Further study to confirm or disprove this hypothesis should be made as soon as such funding is available."

>Without concern of moral implications.
I'm sure this pathetic attempt at highjacking was only going to be used against drones and not the queen. This is great blackmail material.

Both hive science and human science can undo radiation damage at this point, so that's a poor metaphor.

>>Speak of other topics (write in)
Did you know your fanboys blew up your prison trying to free you?

>>Speak regarding official diplomatic contact with the Union (write in)
So the Union higher ups most likely know that our ships over Tenebris and us belong to the same species, but would they make that information public? Should we?

Well.... You're probably right

butHas an excellent point

>>Other
Is David Kent going to reply someday?

>Other
Inform him about what happen in Tenebris but don't show him anything about the void god, just tell him the union fucked up.
Also supporting this

Oh c'mon, a thumper would double the explosive output for cheap.

Now officially, you're supposed to be dead. A lie. The news networks will be begging for an interview for what actually happened since the explosion.

And the government won't want you to tell the truth.

And the government might give us valuable concessions if we put off telling the public the truth of the terribly illegal things they do to their citizens.

Off topic but that guy is rather lucky.

We are already allied together, don't be ridiculous. Talking to Theseus should be about accomplishing new things, like quantum research.

b-but my glorious melee combat!

I'll change it out if it's really a big deal.

now were did a put that pacific rim gif

>>Speak regarding official diplomatic contact with the Union (write in)

Ask him what does he make of it considering there have been recent issues regarding a certain secret facility that we barely saved them from.

Blackmail material only works when anybody cares.

>Speak regarding official diplomatic contact with the Union
"Soon. Recent events with the Union's mad experiments have forced our hand."
We'll need to talk to the Commonwealth about this as well so maybe we can use it to our mutual advantage. If the Hive can appear to both factions as being a herald of a dire threat, it can cause them to put aside their difference at least for now, and that's what Commonwealth wants, and it can help us remove Killinger from power as well.

>Did you know your fanboys blew up your prison trying to free you?
This.

>Speak regarding official diplomatic contact with the Union

Change of plans, you may not need to be ambassador, the union coming here soon

Tell him what happened at nowhere and since he is also psionic warn him what we saw done by the void

Now if only there was an equivalent opponent that our Kaiju/Titan can get into a fistfight with.

>warn him what we saw done by the void
We should probably talk to Elizabeth about this. Ask her if she feels the presence of a Distant Mind.

speaking of that i was going to ask QD if we could research a quantum forge or using our ability to transfer raw material to make a processed one like sending the nutrients some place but having it come out as a gun

Yeah, i think Seiner is long past the point of blackmail

There is currently an information blackout.

They don't want knowledge of their recent disaster to get out.

And truthfully, we should assist in this. The enemy's power is in knowledge. To exist, they must be held within another's mind. The fewer humans hear of what was witnessed, the better.

...But they don't have to know that we want it censored too. We can make them pay for our silence, even though we might still give it freely for all our safety.

Then it is great propaganda, and a great way to justify taking the expanse.

It's not even a secret, dumbass. That'd be like trying to use the fact that humans eat meat as blackmail.

Still nobody cares about some dead docs notes.

You know, a part of me thinks that all this diplomacy stuff is just going to lead to another 20 threads of Killinger trying to dick us over. I kind of would rather we just shoot whoever they send to us and tell them we're not interested, and entering our space will get you shot at.

>since he is psionic, give him knowledge about an entity that is empowered by people knowing about it

Hey when we make contact with the union can we tell them: "Lyle Rodgers has tought us much about human interaction", i wanna see their face when.

Well, the closest thing to mecha we've seen have been used by the Humans and Scavs.

Scavs have those cool exo suits so they may have mechs instead of tanks.

Blackmail, personal audience, grillinger the Killinger into kneeling and kissing our speaker's forelegs, hopefully parasite him and his guards or do a deep-dive psionic scan of his knowledge at least.

At least if we can get them to agree to a half hour of intense 'negotiations' with radio silence with the outside.

It'll be useful if we want a casus beli for a war humans can understand (and we can explain). We kind of need to put that information in context to really influence any population with it.

That'll be great. Also.
"We have learned much of human history from the data storage of the unity."

>Speak regarding official diplomatic contact with the Union (write in)

Tell him we will be making diplomatic contact with the Union soon and ask if he'd like his role to be secret to the Union brass or public to the world (not like he has much choice)

Also,
>Other
Ask if he has any info about the terrorist cell we're meeting and what we can say to prove we "have" Lee to them.

So we should go to war with the union, take the expanse, and put the commonwealth in charge after the union is destroyed?

What? That's never going to happen.

But really, why should diplomatically engage the Union? We're almost certain to go to war with them if we want to claim anything in the expanse, and if Lee is known as our ambassador by then he will get pretty much all the blame for that within the Union. Why don't we go to war with them first, or least refuse to acknowledge them, until we have what we want, and then use Lee to negotiate with them? Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission after all.

Since we're opening diplomatic contact should we give the captives to the union or sell them to the commonwealth?

I agree that we don't want information about the attack getting out for the same reasons you mention. However, we should be prepared to at least give cryptic and semi-truthful answers to questions the Union higher ups will have.

We can publicly make first contact with the Union as a general "peaceful" hello while privately hiding the important stuff. Personally, I'd just like to disable the Theseus jamming on the satellite and say hi to any human ships warping in in response.

Who said anything about destroying the Union? I just want to seize some backwater worlds on the edge of their space and maybe help the Commonwealth do the same with Sol.

I'd vote give to the Union, possibly as some form of compensation for a concession on their part. They already know we have Elizabeth...they can probably surmise we may have captured other members of the "Hope" incident.

Oh fuck that, they're not getting anything from us unless they're willing pay some substantial concessions for them.

Lee can't know what standard of evidence would be sufficient to convince Kent.

Only Kent knows.

...So as soon as Kent actually tells us what would prove it, then we can get that info from Lee.

"Many things have happened in the time you were in the pod." Your speaker says. It quickly tilts its head in curiosity. "Were you aware a number of humans in support of you blew up the prison you were held in attempting to free you?"

"I assume you mean the first time someone blew up the prison I was in, and yes, I guessed as much, although I can't think of why." He says. "All I do know is that I was transferred in a hurry just before the blast, so I think the guards knew they were coming. By the time I heard the explosion, I was already in a transport heading out of the area. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I figured it was either some terror cell getting set up or an inside job to get rid of me, but that's just being overly self-important." He says as he scratches his head, tracing his fingers over his scalp as if looking for some outward sign of his new implants. Your speaker chitters.

"Other Union activity is making more problems. The Hive has intervened with Theseus to stop a secret Union experiment from potentially destroying all of known space." Your speaker chirps quickly. Lee lets out a half laugh.

"You're exaggerating, of course." He says. Your speaker and Elizabeth both stand in awkward silence. "Shit." Lee says finally. "What the hell were they doing?"

"Well, you remember that vague story about ancient extra-dimensional entities?" Elizabeth says. "Well, the experiment tore a hole into their space, and was in the process of letting on of them enter real space. Fortunately we were able to seal it in time, although now our time table has been a bit accelerated."

"It watches us now." Your speaker chirps ominously.

cont.

>And help the Commonwealth take Sol.
Or we can help them take every other union system until they are the only human government.

People really dislike Killinger well what did we expect the man admitted to torturing cat on the Internet

I still say when we make official contact we have to reference his can in some way

"Thank you Killinger, your lesson on Cats was quite...enlightening" or something equally cheeki

I agree. Hell, with how intimidating we are, we can probably seize some of the border worlds without entering into a formal war. The Union is terrified of us (with good reason), and know we have at least a peaceful relationship with Unity. Hive control of the frontier would serve as a buffer against Unity incursion to them (little do they know the truth, although some may guess). Also, we can claim we are reclaiming ancient lost worlds that belong to ourselves and our close allies with a good degree of persuasion. And we can offer trade as well. When the Union weighs the pros and cons of accepting trade, security, and 'peace" (while losing a few worlds) against an invasion by an Insane AI and an alien hive of unknown power and ancient standing, while they are under attack by the Commonwealth, which will they likely choose?

Or we can just buy Lee a cat, to pet in his lap like Dr. Evil at the negotiations table.

>Fortunately we were able to seal it in time, although now our time table has been a bit accelerated."
It still makes me sad to know that our choices in that thread sped up the end game.

Yep, this is pretty much my ideal scenario for dealing with the Union.

No outcome of that event would -not- accelerate it.

"Mr Whiskies please do not eat the leg of the worker, Mr Whiskies! One moment Union representatives! Bad kitty! I said Bad!"

I saw the whole situation as the BBEG kicking down the door and going "I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE FUCKERS"

That's about how I figure it.

Hey wait a minute.

Where's

>Smith disection

That started last thread.

Since we're talking about having been seen by the void god we should tell the scarred queen to hurry up and make a decision, and introduce her to heretic and Theseus.

>While you doubt it will uncover any new fundamental technology, a more detailed and in depth study of the remaining cerebral implants found within the possessed humans should at least grant you insight into its design, function, and hopefully, weaknesses.

Considering this appears to be exactly what happened to Auntie, weaknesses would be way more valuable than just dealing with possessed humans.

One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

If anything it's indicative she should continue to lie low and stay out of view of everything, because odds are the enemy is watching Theseus too, he just can't feel it.

True Nuff

Can't keep ignoring the end boss just to deal with small time punks

We have a big advantage over auntie in that our technology is better, but it would be simple for her to catch up if she was able to win a combat against the humans. We cannot allow the humans to lose a combat to the kinslayer.

Can we try to collude with the Commonwealth here? At least let them know we will be introducing ourselves to them, and to see if they can spin it in a way that helps them. Reclaiming Earth might be a good bonus here.

"Great." Lee says. "The strength of men fail and they try on the ring every damn time, and I assume there isn't a convenient volcano somewhere to kill this thing?" He asks. Your speaker looks confused.

"Is this the same Mt. Doom spoken of by the Vaughn?" Your drone says. Lee looks over at her for a moment.

"I didn't know you've read-"

"I've read a bit." She interrupts. "Enough to make the same reference."

"Right..." Lee says. Your speaker chitters loudly for their attention.

"The Union's media has been strictly controlled. The Hive and Theseus were successful in destroying the device, but it has caused a great stir within the human government." You say. Lee looks back with concern.

"Slow down just a moment there, you said Theseus, as in the Unity, as in the renegade AI that raids the Expanse from time to time and bombards stations periodically?"

"Yes." Your speaker says.

"It shot down the Clarke, killed all those people and damn near me along with them!"

"Do you have any idea how many humans have been killed by other humans?" Elizabeth says. "The colony wars alone-"

"I know." He says. "But that's different." He adds, not quite believing it as it says it.

cont.

Full disclosure though, I'd consider it the start of the mid game, not end game.

Right, it was a mid-thread research addition so I missed adding it to the OP, my bad. It is being researched though, don't worry.

Wait until we tell him what we did with the Clarke.

>That spoiler.
Is there another boss you're hiding until we defeat the void god?

>That's different
YOU MUST WAKE UP LEE, WE NEED YOU. WAKE UPPPPPP

>Decker stole billions of credits
>Theseus couldn't even when he was at Deep Song
Unless Theseus orchestrated Decker's heist all along and those charities were all money laundering into Unity's black accounts?

Wait, Theseus's name is public knowledge? Since when? He only seemed to tell Vaughn he'd named himself at the last minute.

Does he just announce "I am Theseus" to everybody right before he kills them?

wait till he learns what we named the planet

my face

Honestly, it seems that much like how Heretic is the legacy of the Skyl, it stands to reason that Theseus could be the legacy of the Humans. The humans should stop being so paranoid about the second greatest thing they created. The first greatest is the psionic cannon.

Theseus isn't sorry about killing all of those people, but he isn't happy about it either. If he killed anyone, he weighed the costs. In the past, more people have ended up dead by not resorting to deadly force. The people will wind up scared whether or not he blows a ship up and kills all the survivors, but doing it himself discourages more Union interference, thus more dead bodies on his hands.

If it's any consolation, he vastly prefers interactions with the Union to take the subtle approach whenever possible.

>buy Lee a Terran cat
>when we could make a Hive Cat to do that

I mean, we've got fur from tribbles, and inherent smugness from our Queenly DNA. Cat Drone (diplomatic aide) when? We could make it into some sort of mini-Speaker Lee could carry around.

this?

Mmmmm psionic cannon!

And hey, his first interaction with us was those terrifying hunter-drones, and we really only became friends after helping out one of his copies phone home from a lucky nat 100. I'd say our relationship is built at least partially on mutual curiosity because we are so different.

That's a little uncanny valley, why can't he just have a nice white fuzzy moth or something? It doesn't have to speak, Lee is the speaker.

or this

Well a flightless fuzzy moth is what I'm talking about. But it would be trained to act like a cat nonetheless, and speak "meow" to any inquiries.

Quick question, who was in the secretary council when Theseus was created and what was killinger doing while it was happening?

So it would be a fuzzy moth/caterpillar thing with our speaker mouth that hisses "meow" at people.

With his action towards Vaughn and Heretic, he seems to be rather friendly with people who are not trying to kill him.

Maybe this?

>With his action towards Vaughn and Heretic, he seems to be rather friendly with people who are not trying to kill him.

This is more an indication of how lonely Theseus is and less an indication about how outwardly friendly he is. The number of people who he considers it feasible to maintain an interpersonal relationship can be counted on one hand, much less the number who actually understand him. The Queen is a good friend but doesn't really "get" him, or really get anyone else. Her basis for social interaction is usually sperging out together over research or smugness.

True, although Vaughn is the person who freed him (effectively his "mom") and Heretic is another synthetic intelligence. That may not be the most unbiased field to choose from when it comes to how Theseus feels about people.