WIP Work In Progress General

There was no thread so I made one edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

variancehammer.com/2015/06/04/eight-tips-for-using-water-effects/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>paint single batch of miniatures (usually 3-10 models)
>have to take a break for rest of the month to do another one
>even if I want to paint more, I usually find some excuses to put it for later
>didn't buy a single mini since last year
>still huge backlog

send help

Jesus, why would you even want to paint more than 3 minis at a time. By the time you've finished detailing the third, the first will be good to go for more work.

Only painting one mini at a time master race reporting in

I have a question about flock. How sturdy is it when bukkake'D with white glue? Thinking of doing ghillie capes for my Pathfinders (being scouts behind enemy lines would require some form of camo). But I'm worried they would either not stick very well to the medical gauze soaked in glue or constantly flake with handling.

Any alternate methods I can apply? Maybe just use actual fabric capes?

>Medical gauze
Don't do this; not only will it not transport well, but the weave will be horribly out of scale. Greenstuff your capes (maybe use some of the gauze as a texture press). Superglue would be better for the flock.

I guess it's pretty sturdy. Soak the gauze, add more flock (spices work too) then you think you'd need, maybe repeat. Keep the glue thin.

Give it a good base coat after that, that should fix the flock on the gauze even more, paint the shit up, use varnish to add another layer of adherence.

Theres different types of gauze with different mesh sizes. And, if done correctly, you shoulnd't see the mesh after adding the camo stuff anyway.

requesting the 'how to paint dirty white armour' picture that floats around, picture of a diorama as a thanks

I'm not completely happy with the helmet crest, but I'm not sure why. Should I have gone for a brown/blue wash instead of black one perhaps?

Nah, you just have a lot of very visual colors next to each other, that's why it feels a bit off I think. Helmet crest looks great but it is what the eye is drawn to first.

Hello friend

If you want to even out the look add some white highlights on the mask and backpack to draw attention to the body.

Noted all, thank you very much. My gauze mesh is really small so I'll do a trial first.

>requesting the 'how to paint dirty white armour' picture that floats around, picture of a diorama as a thanks

Not sure which one yer referrin' to, user. Is this the one?

>Is this the one?

Or maybe this one? (Yikes, 2MB?!?)

theyre both good, thanks. i was afraid to start on my Sayl the Faithless before i atleast glimpsed a step by step.

i'm working on a realm of battle board. i got six 1ft x 1 ft tiles for 50 AUD and im doing them up in a nurgle-ruined-city look to match my nurgle-ruined-city army

I paint 5-10-20 at a time with a character thrown in the mix here and there that has mostly the same palette.
It has absolutely nothing to do with drying times.
Now I am batch painting 15 Flamers, 2 Exalted Flamers 4 Heralds and a Spawn split into groups of red, blue, green and yellow with a herald in each colour and the spawn being all of the colours.
Do what works for you, but if I did one model at a time little things would add up to extra hours (if not days) of work over 100 models.

While even the finest would look like a steel cable weave at 28mm scale

You keep forgetting that the weave will not be visible, at all. The gauze is only used as a platform. Besides, why should it matter if it's slightly visible anyway? It's a ghillie cape, that's how they're made. The Tau are practical.

It does when you're painting models with a lot of small details and different colors.

Never assume you're talking to the same person, cuz you aren't there. 2 people saying the same thing.
Anyway, I am catching what you're pitching now.
Should be fine, but there are actually products to help protect flock and flowers and such on terrain. Train peeps use it a lot on their "worlds" (I don't know what they call it in their circles).

What you said doesn't even really make sense in the context of the conversation. It is *irrelevant* and is not the *real* reason I am batch painting.

Anyway, this:
>Do what works for you
Was intended to stop trivial conversations blathering about nothing, but here we are.

>but there are actually products to help protect flock and flowers and such on terrain

I am having trouble finding it, but I believe I have seen Woodland Scenics use it in a tutorial video or two.

Oh, sweet, I'll have a look at that then! Some sort of flock sealant I guess. From a quick google, it seems many use good ol'fashioned Hairspray.

>not painting 25 minis at a time

Now with 100% more visibility!

Bloodcrushers look so fucking rad oh my god I adore them. The only reason I'd want to make a Khorne army is purely to field nothing but Crusher cavalry.

Why are you talking like you're some sort of expert when your models look like that.

I know right? They're just the most fucking metal thing on the planet.

Fuck yes. Giant angry red/brass demon bulls covered in spikes ridden by angry berzerkers or mini-satans. It's awesome.

I agree, crushers are fucking cool. I even made a Daemon Prince out of one a while back, pic related.

It should be a requirement that if you make comments like this shit lord you have to attach one of your own Works IN Progress so people can spitefully shit down your throat too.

absolute madman

Why, am I claiming to be an expert?

>They're just the most fucking metal thing on the planet.

Pic related.

That looks pretty cool, nicely done. I would've just used the default DP legs reposed though, the Crusher legs look a bit too spindly to support bipedal motion.

Was he? You put words in people and attack them. You're essentially attacking your own petty fantasies in your head.

Where did I say he was? What are you even on about? Are you sure you're on the right thread/board?

Holy fuck you are a moron. Why do you even come to these threads? Every day, just to shit on people.

>Why are you talking like you're some sort of expert when your models look like that
>Why, am I claiming to be an expert?
>Where did I say he was?

Grade A Moron

For the models? Read the thread title. Where do you think you are?

HAHAHA for the models...
And then to attack everyone while here. What a ass.

Attack who? Who are you talking about?

Just leave.

You're either budding into a conversation you weren't involved in or you are just a troll. Either way:
>Just leave

Because?

>not painting 25 minis at a time

I never actually paint more than 10-12 guys at a time, and usually it's more like 3-5. But some projects end up taking a backseat to others...

Looking good! I've been trying to pick up some old wraithlords myself but they still go for quite a bit.

ffs looks like my desk. entire set of Space hulk blood angels half done, going to take weeks to finish.
god I'm starting to hate red
(it didnt help that I had massive struggles with Army Painter reds and patchy coverage, ended up buying a gw mephiston red base in the end)

Do you play tabletop games or do you paint for paintings sake?

Maybe just spice things up and start a completely new project.. historicals, fantasy, sci-fi, a huge monster, a vehicle.. something you never did before.

I strongly recommend just finishing at least one model you really like out of the batch, instead of trying to do it all at once. You can paint a single model well in one or two evenings and it'll give you a feeling of getting things done.

Made a bit more progress on my mountain of Malifaux stuff I call a backlog.

I really like the bases. How do you do them?

I like them a lot.

Just a suggestion for blacks. Use a grey and wash it with black or glaze into the shadows.
Very dark grey reads better as black on a mini rather than appearing as a black body which looks unnatural.

Also for the user in the last thread talking about goopy primer left on the models after dettol stripping. I assume you used water to rinse? Don't do that.

Out of the dettol use a crappy tooth brush to 'flick' the paint off onto some newspaper then put the model into some methylated spirits to rinse it.
Then using a better hard tooth brush give it a good scrub to remove all the rest of the paint rinsing in metho as needed.

After it's all clean then put in a bucket of warm soapy water.
At the end of the session I then rinse it all in warm clean water to get the soap off and put on paper towel to dry.
Models come up as if they were never painted.

a mix of cork and textured plastic for the big bits, other than that it's just sand.
Colourwise it's P3 Cryxbane base with GW Rakarth flesh drybrushed on top. the flock is woodland scenic "Burnt Grass"

1/2

First time working with greenstuff. Also, I'm using agrellan earth to get a flaky texture on the armor - I'll basecoat over it later. Any tips on weathering/aging up some plague marines?

2/2

I like to prime them white and do all the crevices with a dark wash black or brown.

Then do filth trails going off the bolts and damage in a brown. Then glaze the armour up to your chosen colour (probably green with deathguard) that remains slightly transparent so you can see the grime underneath and you get all the shadow of a black undercoat but the ease of a white one. You also get built in smooth highlights as you just glaze more heavily where the shadows would fall.

How would one make bases that invoke the feel and aesthetics of pic related?

You're going to need water effects + green flock for the water. The trees you'll probably have to sculpt yourself. The plants are going to be annoying, try finding cheap aquarium plants to cut up and stick in there. Usually those can be found at various dollar stores and pet stores.

While that is very creative and the greenstuff is nice, there's a specific medium called crackling medium which you mix in the paint to make it crack. It's a lot less work I think.

Though the agrellan does have the added effect of making them look like they're really caked in dirt.

I don't need to make whole trees.
I intend to simply base these guys in a "swampy" way.

>5,54 mb

I'm at my desktop pc and i still won't open that.

Ah yes, swamp dryad man! In that case, get some water effects from Woodland Scenics and experiment with mixing that with colored fine flock into a paste to spread over the base, then maybe go over it with gloss varnish to give it a wet look.

I honestly haven't done it myself and have never seen it done before but this is how I'd go about trying it. Alternatively you could do flock + transparent glue and then pour a thin layer of water effects over it.

Thanks man.
Looks like the local hobby store has the stuff you mentioned, so I think I should be good.

I am thinking of using a texture paint to first create patches of "soil" on the bases, but leave a few empty spots where I will create the puddles of water, by applying a basecoat of some greenish blues, and then adding the water effect paint atop of it. The hobby store even has some water plant scenery stuff, so I think I might be able to make the end result really swampy looking.

the shoulder on teh first guy is looking great, his stomach is alright, but you've fallen into what I think many people do when they make Nurgle-greenstuff: just adding random blobs and spherical shapes that, when painted or primed, will be easy to see the lining of. The Goal with all Greenstuff work should be to make it blend in seemlessly with what you're doing, like what you did with the first guys shoulderpad.

Try to make armor-plates, broken and cracked, around he open stomachs, to signify that it's pushed through the armor, otherwise it'll end up looking like something is placed on top of the armor - then again, this is just my own little guide-lines, no absolute need to follow if you like what you're doing.

Though, for a first time, I will say that it looks great, much better than I did starting out.

Some tips that might help, step 8 looks pretty close to what you're trying to achieve. Keep us updated!
variancehammer.com/2015/06/04/eight-tips-for-using-water-effects/

Should i give the dark angel and rion hand more boring pistols? I feel like they draw the eye a bit too much.

Also i think i went overboard on the freehands and decals. Other than that these guys are ready for armour highlighting and basing.

And the other 3 im doing. One on the end will be a white scar.

Thanks for that link man. It looks helpful.

I don't think so. You need something to deviate from the dullness of the black armor.

The middle one looks tired.

He is wearing Iron Armour. His neck must be killing him.

Hmm, that reminds me of the part from Armor where his suit runs out of power.

try mixing a little silver into your black when doing armor. it might help it pop/shine more instead of being so dull as said

>Armor

What price impregnable armor against an implacable foe?

One of my favourite books! Should be required reading (along with Starship Troopers and The Forever War) for Space Marine players with any IQ above room temperature.

Where would typus corrosion go on this?
And when I get the paint, rust?

Any suggestions as well? Hard to make it look well

Anywhere that water would penetrate or dirt would accumulate - bolts, seams, etc. Less on the parts that would be moving. Also, you're going to want to blacken the shit out of your burst gunbarrels

The front armour plate isn't on yet! All that dull yellow primer is going to be hidden anyway.

I sprayed my marine with Corax white citadel primer and it looks horrible and flakey as fuck

Gonna stick to my automotive primer

That's just his psychic obscurity field

>That's just his absolute terror field

FTFY

Spent the last couple practicing on cheap army guys, and this is my first real try at painting. I missed the mold lines until after I primed, feels bad.

Working on my harlequins. Do they look ok?

Maybe because the crest looks kind of zebra-ish instead of white? It's maybe changing tones too fast and so can read as 'striped' instead of 'shadowed'. Also, might want to do a silver highlight on your gold but that's a personal taste thing.

>no racing stripe

9/10 best I can do

They look very dark, almost as if none of the detail would show up on tabletop. Thats a lot of effort to put into the diamond pattern (and its well done) but I'm not sure how noticeable it all is with nothing vibrant or popping off of the model.

Unless you were trying to make them look like shadows, you probably want to crank up the contrast a little bit to help their details stand out. Solid work otherwise.

I've been working on a Sorrow, I'm pretty happy with the blues i've got going on. blue ghostly stuff needs another highlight and I need to go back over and brighten the eyes up too.

>Working on my harlequins. Do they look ok?

All other fingz aside, those are some beautiful gemstones!

Sorry, I took the photo in a dark room. They're brighter in person, though I'll try upping the contrast. Which areas need it, do you think?

I would do one last highlight on the gray panels of a near white, and make the red/gray colors brighter on the leggins, but that could just be due to the picture. Attention should be brought to the faces, and the striking diamond pattern IMO, and you do this with contrast vs the other colors in the mini.

STOP STARING AT ME!

Just generally... are people getting dumber or is it that they are just more apt to show it off these days? Or are there just more of them?
I am constantly smacked in the face by the sheer stupidity of my fellow man. Sometimes I think everyone is just a troll.

No, lots of people are dumb or at least uneducated and unwilling, or unknowing of how, to educate themselves.

It's because using the Internet is such an easy means of communication and has become ubiquitous. The morons were always there, but now you're far more aware of them because of ease of communication avenues. Abd not just your local morons but everyone across the world.

On the flip side, I'd say people are becoming more educated and aware of themselves as well, it's just drowned out by the sea of mediocrity that makes up the average user.

>On the flip side, I'd say people are becoming more educated and aware of themselves as well, it's just drowned out by the sea of mediocrity that makes up the average user.

That is a very fair point indeed. Even trying to be nice to people you just get hit with such ludicrously mind boggling and pointless ignorance that it is just hard to believe that this is all real life.

See what happens when I take my headphones off and put my brush down?

I have a roommate (not by chouce) who adamantly believes everything he hears on FOX news, regulars conspiracy theory websites, smokes pot all day and lives off military money because he got lucky. Doesn't work, doesn't do anything productive or contributing to society, not even a hobby that supports a local group or store besides the weed shop.

We even had to block facebook so he'd stop getting into Internet fights with strangers and then raging about it and trying to smash up his end of the house.

So yes, I understand very well where you are coming from.

wip warden king made from runelord/longbeard sprue