MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Almost Good Enough Edition.

Post your Legacy brews that are almost good enough and talk about The Best Format (tm)

Here's my almost good enough brew: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/veternal-explorer-doomsday/

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-07-16-blade/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ignoring manabase for budget the rest of the deck works good agaisnt other creature decks

This looks really sweet. I like the dread return. Entombing for that would make me hard.

when its end of turn trust me it's a great feeling

culling the weak with veteran explorer is nasty

Should I sell Grixis Delver and buy into Painter?

No?

I wish I sold my Goyfs and bought Recruiters when I had the chance

No but do get Belcher.

Why would I buy into an autopilot deck?

To first get rid of the misconception that it's an autopilot deck. After that, for haxing short, exciting rounds for the rest of your play career so you can savor the salt while taking a piss before there's a line and celebrating with your personal flask while scouting the meta.
Cute.

This is my Belcher

3 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [EX] City of Traitors
10 [UNH] Mountain
1 [ST] Goblin Settler
1 [CHK] Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 [SHM] Murderous Redcap
1 [PLC] Stingscourger
1 [WWK] Tuktuk Scrapper
2 [M10] Siege-Gang Commander
4 [M15] Goblin Rabblemaster
4 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
4 [NE] Moggcatcher
4 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide
1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
3 [MR] Chrome Mox
3 [DS] Trinisphere
4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
4 [9E] Blood Moon
SB: 2 [C14] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [TSP] Sudden Shock
SB: 1 [AL] Pyrokinesis
SB: 2 [SOM] Koth of the Hammer
SB: 3 [8E] Ensnaring Bridge
SB: 2 [8E] Boil
SB: 1 [C13] Goblin Sharpshooter
SB: 1 [PLC] Stingscourger

>haxing
having
Works either way I guess.
>t1 kill haax
Nice doublepost

If the only decisions are mulligans, its autipilot. There's no reason to scout, its not like you're not going for it turn 1.

>If the only decisions are mulligans
Wrong again.

You definitely won't go for it t1 if you're one mana away from 100% lethal with Belcher if your other option involved ETW vs Lands or Miracles for instance.

The mana in that deck is insane. Honestly though therapy with the veteran is the best. Discard+mini ritual for free is disgusting. The issue with the deck is that cutting business spells made it less consistent and trying to run 4 colors with plenty of basics leads to too much tension in the manabase. I just haven't quite sorted it out yet. Tries a BUG version but I really missed the wishes.

Ok, if you have 6 mana and 2 threats g1sure. I've played Belcher. The decision trees are straight more often than not.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-07-16-blade/
I played this yesterday
>VS Grixis Delver 2-0
>VS Omnishow 0-2
>VS Merfolk 2-1
>VS Canadian Delver 2-0
>VS Esper Deathblade 2-0
>VS Reanimator 2-0
>VS AIT 2-1
Then split at finals with my bro who was playing Infect.

My sideboard was
1x Engineered Plague
2x Kor Firewalker
2x Rest in Peace
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Ashen Rider
2x Zealous Persecution
2x Pithing Needle
2x Ratchet Bomb
And I only ever used Rest in Peace, Plage, Persecution and the artifacts, the Kor barely saved me from Tendrils but I kept on wishing it was dedicated storm hate instead of a lucky coincidence.
Do you think it's a good idea to drop the Riders, Firewalkers and Extractions for 3 Oblivion Rings, 2 Ethersworn Canonist/Spirit of the Labirynth and a third RiP?

Drop that stuff for some disenchants, containment priests and canonists. Run vindicate over O ring.

....Kor saved from tendrils?

Vindicate doesn't eat Emrakul.
Their rituals gave me more life than Tendrills could take away. It was the red Storm not Ad Nauseaum.

Vindicate doesn't eat it to Wear//Tear and can Stone Rain people. If your opponent resolved an Emmy, you're probably just dead.

I guess Oblivion Ring is for Omnishow matches, you show the Ring and exile what they played. I sideboard them in Burn and have won some matches out of it.
It should be 2 Vindicate main, 2 Oblivion Ring sideboard.

>anti-fun general

That deck looks sick. Do you ever Entomb Lingering Souls? Have you considered cutting some basic lands and other spells for a set of Gitaxian Probe?

Not every deck with Belcher is an autopilot deck

Hey, that deck looks familiar. Do you play on XMage?

was this you a few months ago? why the changes?

Oh it was the epic storm version. Now it makes sense.

Yeah, that's my deck. The changes are only minor, but I started tweaking stuff after I got to test on XMage (there's almost no paper Legacy in my area).

So let's see,
I bought the Plateaus

I was never happy to see Cursed Scroll or Solitary Confinement so I cut them completely

I went back and forth on Isochron Scepter, but eventually decided it was more often a blowout in my opponent's favor than in my favor

After testing against a wider range of decks I identified that Miracles and Burn are probably the deck's worst matchups, and T1 Canonist is the stone-cold nuts against almost every combo deck, so I changed the sideboard up around that, and cut some hate cards I wasn't using. Moved Ivory Tower into the main (although I might switch it out for a second Zuran Orb).

I cut Batterskull because Artifact removal is more common in sideboards than enchantment hate and it would always get blown up. Assemble is strong, especially after Humility, but it's slow.

I've got three copies of pic related in the mail, gonna find a spot for them somewhere in the 75 to help with the Miracles MU and allow me to play around removal better.

You guys play the weirdest shit.

When's the next banlist update?

I'm playing legacy-lite (pauper) and this peregrine drake shit is out of hand

>When's the next banlist update?
There just was one, no changes.

Next will be when Kaladesh comes out in a few months.

I don't play on xmage, but I do mess around on cockatrice.

Have you tried Lands Edge against Miracles? It used to be good for me. 20 years ago.

I'm the reason your mama told you to stay away from the losers bracket

Been building RUG Delver for a few months, haven't gotten very far... Anyone have $2500 laying around?

Why did my deckfu in the best format have to be so expensive? :(

>Playin
R Stax
Tezzerator
Anything that plays Chalice as a 4 of

>I don't play on xmage, but I do mess around on cockatrice.
I've played against someone with a similar deck on XMage a few times now. Most recently he beat me because I made the mistake of not killing Moggcatcher on sight and got locked out of the game by Kiki/Settler/Trinisphere combo as an StP rotted in my hand.

I'll have to try Land's Edge. One of the ways we beat Miracles is by having threats at different CMCs and it seems like a good fit for 3.

Has pic related ever seen play? It can be pitched to opposing lili for days and is a blowout vs Hymn decks.

>not online warrioring on mtgo
I'm on BURG though

what about goose

Moggcatcher + chalice is the best. I like getting Rabblemaster, attacking for one, then getting Kiki and attacking for 13.

I think its the best Red Stompy shell right now, but there is definitely a humans list out there

The goose, while loose, is a good addition, giving any blue deck an infinite mana combo of 3 cards that are all independently good is kinda warping

Anyone for some games on cockatrice? Username is ManyCookies, send a PM if you wanna play.

Its too narrow

So, the real question is "How bad is Doomsday".

Dies to thought scour. I kid. Don't have a clue.

Its alright, but likely worse than ANT, TES, Belcher, SI and High Tide

What are the best nonlands to take out of RUG Delver if I'm adding black for 4 Abrupt Decays (because miracles fucks this deck in the ass)? My list runs 2 Forked Bolts, a True-Name, and a cheeky Edric, so probably those? And should I strongly consider Deathrite if I'm adding black? I'm not convinced he'd be better than my geese.

Also fuck just playing BUG delver, Lightning Bolt is my waifu.

So, show of hands, how many legacy people here hate RUG delver?

I love it. Why would you hate it?

Do a 2/2 mb/sb split, cut Edric and a Forked bolt

Sounds perfect.

I think RUG Delver is cool. Canadian Thresh is actually pretty old school now, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

I like it too, just a lot of people at my shop bitch about it and I was curious what you guys felt.

I think 3 decays are enough, it's a little clunky to cast with four colors

Are they running 4c Shitpile.dek?

Those guys are fags. The only Legacy deck worth bitching about is Miracles because it's overly dominant.

No. Some ant, high tide, Stax, painter, miracles, show and tell, just all over to be honest. But real decks, no brews.

That's what I gathered. A lot of these guys just hate creatures, I feel.

Stifle helps protect your shitawful mana

so does DRS, you cant have all three colors all the time though

My opinion is that Delver is actually one of the harder decks to play, and when you go 4c you have to really consider your fetches.

If Miracles and Sneak and Show bitch about RUG, kindly remind them that they are playing the biggest Ape decks in the format. RUG Delver is difficult to navigate, which is why people don't like to play it. There are a lot of things to consider.

Shame, I found a few digging through bulk and it struck me as a card which does quite a lot vs discard heavy decks just by sitting in your hand.

It's different. It's about a half a turn slower than ANT on average. It trades speed for the ability to play through silly amounts of permanent based hate. For example i've beat DnT with thalia, spirit of the labyrinth and ethersworn canonist on board to my basic swamp and basic island. the downside is that the increased difficulty plus the fact that messing up=losing makes it highly questionable whether it is worth playing over any other storm variant. I play it because I like it and I think it is good/fun. It did top 8 an scg legacy classic recently, so it is a real deck.

It's the meekest, fairest Delver variant.

Eh, Miracles is actually quite hard to play, it's common knowledge the deck is not ban-level opressive yet not because it doesn't have the potential to be, but because most people who play it don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Most decks in Legacy are pretty hard and you need a lot of experience to not miss incredibly narrow but vital plays. But yes, Omnishow is the format's ape deck, even Fearless Dredge asks more decisions out of you and you can't either mulligan or sideboard with that shit.

>consider your fetches

Not if my fetchable lands are 2 each of Underground Sea, Tropical Island, and Volcanic Island. Then just run 8-9 fetches that grab islands.

I think that if you find it fun, you should play it. I do think that you need to admit when you're playing a deck because you like it, as opposed to because it's objectively the best choice.

More that you need to think about which lands you're fetching out. If you grab a volc when you dont need it, you can end up with dead cards in hand.

Miracle's being hard to play has always seemed like a thing that Miracles players say. Terminus and Counterbalance are both ape cards. You can play like a retard and win randomly because of them.

The rest of the deck requires a bit more finesse, but to be honest I don't find it nearly as hard to play as Storm, Delver, Death and Taxes, Painter or a bunch of other decks. Weissman school decks have always seemed really hard to play, but once you settle into the school of thinking they aren't all that strenuous.

Ah, I see what you meant about the fetches.

Another problem that gets worse with 4c is running out of sources of a color. Just doing RUG Delver it's not infrequent against D&T to fetch all 3 volcs in my deck and have each one wastelanded after it gets fetched.

>Weissman school decks have always seemed really hard to play, but once you settle into the school of thinking they aren't all that strenuous.
The old saying about control decks is that they're the easiest to play when you're winning and the hardest when you're losing. Unlike most control decks, though, Miracles can just sorta win off of how powerful its cards are. Kinda like how Twin was in Modern.

You need to use Stifle really defensively, at least that's my current theory.

Post moments that made you realize that Legacy was THE format to play.

>borrowing DnT playing against sneak and show
>Show and Tell, had Revoker in hand, name Griselbrand as we presented our cards
>mfw it was Griselbrand and he can't even swing with it cause of mom+flickerwhisp
>Proceed to clean things up with Karakas and beatdown

I now got my own DnT and it's been the most fun I've ever had with the game when I do find other legacy players.

Death and Taxes vs Sneak and Show is one of the most tilted matchups ever. It never ceases to amaze me that the Mono White deck beats the everloving shit out of the big bad combo deck

Reporting in

Yeah, DnT has a lot more play than you might think. Only problem is you have a lot less room for error than all the brainstorm decks.

When I beat Miracles at Legacy League Finals with pic related.
>Get into top8 with Burn and Manaless Dredge
>Everyone will try and sideboard the fuck out of me
>Don't know what do, play 8Rack in Modern, decide to make a Pox-Rack thing for Legacy, add skellies because no Bloodghast
>Get to finals, Miracles counters Bob, Liliana, Smallpox, but skellies keep coming for chip damage. G2 I extirpate both Top and Counterbalance, then Lilly fucks him up.

This couldn't have happened in any other format. Since then I've invested heavily and now own Stoneblade, D&T, Burn, Dredge and Reanimator but PoxRack is still my pet deck.

The faggot who knew he was my first opponent played motherfucking Soul Sisters with a playset of Grafdigger's Cage on the side. Fucking bitch go what was coming to him.

I'm a huge fag who only owns Burn, but my shop allows 100% proxy decks, so I've played a variety of decks including:
Reset Tide
U/W Wizards
G/B Surgical Extraction
Jund Nic Fit
Death & Taxes
Life.dec
G/U Snakes
ANT
W/B Helm Control
Alluren
Turbo Depths
Waterfalls
Nourishing Lich
White Stax
Black Pox
Moldy Cheerios

I have to say, you get to learn a lot about general deck strategy playing a lot of different decks, and I recommend trying out a bunch of different deck types just to learn how to play against them. I mostly just play Burn now, because I can't afford other decks and refuse to get chinaman proxies, but I've been thinking of getting Junk Nic Fit. The Nic Fit type of G/B control is a lot of fun (even if it's not good for a big event).

I'm seriously considering getting chinaman because I really dislike white borders and the cheapest I could get the duals I need in black border would be $500+ for just a single Bayou and Scrubland. And chinamen make FBB duals which nobody would double check at my LGS.

kinda want to sell D&T and just be done with this game. i've already offloaded my standard and modern collection.

>Reset Tide
>Jund Nic Fit
>G/U Snakes
>ANT
>Waterfalls
>Nourishing Lich
>Moldy Cheerios
I like lurking Legacy threads because 90% of the time I'm pretty sure you fuckers are just making up deck names

do it faggot

When I take my Dredge to town I hate how I can actually lose g1 to RUG since you usually have to try to resolve some loot spells (they usually won't) and can't wait for DDD unless your hand is otherwise gas. Stifle fucks Cephalid Coliseum. I've been thinking about putting in Lotus Petals to mb to speed the deck up a turn and make it more resilient vs Daze and put anti-hate + 1-2 extra lands to sb.

alright.
evens: scg (reasonable postage, fairest grading)
odds: cfb (huge postage, merchant-tier grading)
zeroes: lgs (i'll get like $300 for it, foils and all)
trips: i burn it in the hibachi. kek wills it to be so.

fuck son

do it faggot

almost done with Nic-Fit, just missing Verdant Catacombs and the duals.

Where can I get good proxies of Bayous and Verdants?

Is merfolk any good or am I just better off playing death and taxes? My lgs is full of miracles, sneak and show, and delver decks.

DnT is really hard to play optimally. Port is the kind of card that looks innocuous until you blow people out of the water by porting fetches and shit they wouldnt expect

Its not bad, its a good place to start but I think Death and Taxes is a lot better. More room for play skill, and in general it has better tools in every matchup.

Other great deck names:
Deadguy Ale
Spanish Inquisition
Sylvan Plug
Meathooks
Parfait
The Gate
5 Color Aggro Zombies
MUD
Maverick
Big Red
Solidarity
Robots
RosenBlade
Food Griffon
Zombardment

Am I missing anything?

I've never heard of 5 color aggro zombies, sylvan plug or rosenblade, can someone give me an overview?

Also solidarity and reset tide are the same deck, and big red is just stompy if I'm not mistaken

Noble Fish

Mighty Quinn

Big Red relies on cheating out Griselbrand and Inferno Titan with Sneak Attack, but can also hardcast stuff like Godo and start double strike Batterskull beats.

Big Red is stompy with Seething Song. 5 Color Aggro Zombies is a better name for Dredge. Rosenblade is a UWR blade list thatsvery vintagey

>Dredge
>Aggro

Its an aggro deck at heart

Nigger, a deck that does nothing witbout access to the graveyard, reanimates Iona t1 after sideboarding, shits out 30 power by turn 3 without casting a single creature and is heterogenic as all hell is not an aggro one.

A deck that wins most of its games by attacking with a bunch of cheap creatures is an aggro deck.

I think you need help.

I think you need to play dredge before talking about it. The number of games where you flip over your library are far fewer than the number of games where you get a couple creatures out at a time and nickel and dime them to death.

digits have not repeated, friend
also

rolling

Spending 2 turns on killing someone with 2-4 Ichorids and the 4-16 zombies the first batch produces is not what I would call "nickel and diming". T1 flips are pretty common against any deck without permission and basically the only way to beat an active DRS that would otherwise snipe every Ichorid and Narco. Even if the only beater in the entire deck was Nacromoeba, since you don't pay its mana cost 99.99% of the time, it sure as hell isn't an aggro deck.