Hey, Veeky Forums

Hey, Veeky Forums.
I'm starting a game of Adeptus Evangelion, and I'm wondering about things I can do with the characters when they're not in their EVAs. Conspiracies, attacks on their person, etc. Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

1999.co.jp/eng/10248094---
amazon.com/RAH604-NEO-Evangelion-Eva-02-Animewild/dp/B009FS8UEQ---
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maid Cafe for the school festival.

Masturbate on each other?

Well, it depends on how long there is going to be between each Angel fight. One month? Three? Just a few days? Once you have that figured out, you can get a better idea of what you want the characters to be doing outside of their evas. I've typically run two games in one; the evangelion fights and a high school drama/comedy.

I might keep that as backup.
I'm thinking it'll vary. A month for one, maybe a few days for another.

I would start things out with getting a feel for what your players want to do. After the first Angel fight, present them with a location that allows for non-combat action and see how they take to it. If all they want to do is fight Angels, cater to that, the Time Management options are great for having a background of civilian life, while not having to actually do any of it. Don't force non-combat sessions, don't think of "things for them to do," let them figure out what they want to do. If they want to do non-combat sessions, then sure, you can have an assassination attempt or a field trip or school dance ect. AdEva works best when it's not preordained (beyond SEELE's plans, anyway).

They said they'd like to have a roughly even split between angels and not being in the EVA's.

Do they have any goals or something?

Have then go to museums or the firing range or something. You know, regular stuff.

One of them is a Neo Spartan who loves shooting things.
There other is a challenged who got picked up off the street and is, for the most part, a child.
We had one session, a session 0 if anything, during which we were drunk. We ended it on a training exercise in which they managed to piss on the floor, incapacitate a guard by booting him in the face, and sneak around in the facilities air ducts.

Then I would definitely do the "two-games in one" thing. You could alternate sessions, but that might not always work out. I'd start with combat, it's the easiest way to expose them to the setting, get all the characters introduced. Then set them up wherever they're going to live and introduce the 'civilian' side of their lives. After that, it's just a matter of having a rough outline plan on your end and letting them fill in the gaps as you go along. You'd be surprised how something like a football game or a dance can create a session's worth of non-combat content. If you let them be teenagers, they will usually find out ways to entertain themselves. What's nice about AdEva is that since they are kids, you can have the adults reign them in easily if you need to. And something like a dance or game can always get interrupted by an Angel attack, so it's easy to keep a balance.

kill everyone

So you only have two pilots? No OpsDir?

>>One of them is a Neo Spartan who loves shooting things.
Well, there has to be more to the character than that, so work with that angle. If anything, a neospartan trying to be a "normal" kid is always awkwardly hilarious.

>>The other is a challenged who got picked up off the street and is, for the most part, a child.
You mean a Survivor? Prodigy? And how much of a child? Like feral or 'not smarter than a fifth grader?"

>>We had one session, a session 0 if anything, during which we were drunk. We ended it on a training exercise in which they managed to piss on the floor, incapacitate a guard by booting him in the face, and sneak around in the facilities air ducts.
Are you trying to do non-eva sessions with combat? 'Cause that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Yeah. We were planning on running a game with another one, but he's kind of a prick, and this was like the fifth time he flaked, so we dropped him.
As for the combat, the Neo-Spartan is pretty much the only one who can reasonably handle himself in a fight. Against a surprised guard, at least.
Challenged as in he's born after the second impact, and was on the streets for a while. He's not dumb, but he's 12, so immature as hell.

>>As for the combat, the Neo-Spartan is pretty much the only one who can reasonably handle himself in a fight. Against a surprised guard, at least.
Well, if only one character is good at non-Eva combat, I'd take that into account. You've got to GM to the strengths of both players.

>>Challenged as in he's born after the second impact
But all the children are...oh. Oh. OH. You're playing v3. I don't know if I can help you.

Is there a problem with v3?
And I imagine as soon as he runs into people who arent bored security officers, he'll have a much harder time with the whole self defense thing. He's also got know your place as a trait, which means the guy has to roll willpower to disobey an order, and the kid has a missing eye, and thus, shitty depth perception.

>>Is there a problem with v3?
It's total dogshit compared to v2.5 or Borderline, but that's just like, my opinion, man.

But I digress... So are they fighting NERV? Why are guards getting kicked and air ducts being snuck around in? Also do you have an OpsDir GMPC or something similar?

Well, I'd designed a kind of training for them to go through. A bunch of candidates, with only a few that hadn't washed out. After that, they were moved up to specialized shit. One of which was the challenge. They snuck through an air duct, beat the shit out of a guard, cause they thought that the air duct was the way to go, and snuck around in more air ducts.

>Hey, Veeky Forums.
Hello!
>I'm starting a game of Adeptus Evangelion
we all make mistakes.
> I'm wondering about things I can do with the characters when they're not in their EVAs.
well you should have some kind of school encounter to establish likeable/hateable NPCs so that there is some emotional buy-in when you/they brutally murder them.

So should the class rep be a prick, or vaguely likeable?
Should notGendo be a complete asshole, or the friendliest guy ever...right up until he reveals he's perfectly willing to sacrifice a pilot for the greater good?

I like likeable Gendos. You could switch personalities around with someone like Not Fuitski or Not Misato.

Do you have the kids guardians set up? And don't let the 12 year old play like a special needs 7 year old. Kids are smarter than people remember.

I'm still thinking on guardians. Any ideas?

Ah. I see. Well, what is your plan for the campaign (the general idea, at least)?

>>So should the class rep be a prick, or vaguely likeable?
>>>Should notGendo be a complete asshole, or the friendliest guy ever
Are you using the classic Tokyo-3 setting? It's an RPG, you can do whatever you like. Don't feel like you need to stay inside of some established sandbox eventhough you're playing a game based of an anime. I second that it is good to have NPCs with emotional attachments for use as insanity point fodder, but that works best when you give the players a reason to get attached. For example, if the NERV commander isn't someone they are going to be dealing with, don't worry about it. I would recommend letting them make some friends at school though, watching your friends die is a proud Evangelion tradition.

either is fine really, I would probably let the players interpretations decide which one you play up in the long run. if they dislike them they could pressure them in subtle or overt ways, but if they like them I would have to hurt the npc in ways that were indirectly the PCs fault.

whats wrong classrep?

my mom died in the last attack

i'm sorry about that, what happend?

you stepped on her.

stuff like that.

>And don't let the 12 year old play like a special needs 7 year old. Kids are smarter than people remember.
One thousand time this. Playing a child is no excuse to act like one. There's a fine line.

>The actual 'guardian' character is less important than what they bring to the story and the emotional development of the PCs. If that's good, they could be almost anyone.

Both players read Veeky Forums, so I cant really spoil much. Most I can really say is that it's gonna be less christian mythology, and more HP Lovecraft. So a big part of it is going to be coping with the fact that, you know, gods see humans as little more than insects, and EVA's as something in the neighborhood of small dogs that are yapping really loudly, and, well, you get the idea.

Show went with ops director which works.

A scientist might be more clinical but warm up over time. Or just always see the kids as pilots and ignore them emotionally.

A teacher or another civilian in the know could be used as a normal foil to NERV zaniness and go to bat for the kids against the military, providing a chance for tension. A particularly resourceful civilian might start putting things together, letting things slip to the kids and eventually might have to be replaced by NERV as the campaign gets darker.

Some good taste itt

Hmm. So you're really playing up the no hope angle then? Are they going to be fighting these "gods" in the Evas or just equally tiny minions? Or are you going to make every Angel encounter a puzzle box like Ramiel, Matarael, and Leliel?

Red robot is best robot.

Mainly that they're going to be fighting aspects of gods/minor gods.
I hear you. You guys are coming up with some good shit.

You know, Lovecraftian aspects can and have communicated with humans. In horrible, insanity inducing ways that lead to revelations about the larger scheme of things. You going to do that at all?

I really should get a kit. You have any recommendations?

>Mainly that they're going to be fighting aspects of gods/minor gods.
Gotcha. Well, I'd certainly use that as a good opportunity to lay on the insanity points. Especially for the neospartan, it's always good to humble them with the knowledge that while they may be physically strong, anybody can wind up catatonic in a bathtub full of blood.

>You guys are coming up with some good shit.
Sometimes I even think we get shit done.

Yeah, I know. Nyarlothotep is a prime candidate for being an asshole, if I remember.

Yup.

Even some of the 3rd parties who might actually be neutral if not friendly towards humans fuck things up.

Do you have any way to balance out the hopelessness?

>Lovecraftian aspects can and have communicated with humans. In horrible, insanity inducing ways that lead to revelations about the larger scheme of things. You going to do that at all?
Yes to this, and it's a great way to induce ego barrier damage.

>I really should get a kit. You have any recommendations?
Iike a model kit? Avoid the gen one kits from bandai, they're garbage. The Kotobukiya ones from Rebuild are pretty good, I have several. This one ---1999.co.jp/eng/10248094--- is really good. If money isn't an issue, you should get ---amazon.com/RAH604-NEO-Evangelion-Eva-02-Animewild/dp/B009FS8UEQ--- it's the next best thing to having a real one.

>desire to spend money intensifies

Welp. I'm at least getting best robot.

>Nyarlothotep is a prime candidate for being an asshole
Oh my yes he is. I would also recommend Hastur.

Well, you have to ask yourself if they can actually win. When I run AdEva, I like to have several "endgame" scenarios prepared. There is always the option that the players can kill God.

"I will not be judged. Not without a fight. What man hath wrought let no God put asunder."
--Victor von Doom

And I made the mistake of looking at those gorgeous poses, especially the sliding one, before the price tag.

If you go full Lovecraft, cats. You can provably do cats of Ulthar as a sweet and funny side quest until section 2 tries to manhandle one of the pilots and shit gets real.

God help you if the Spartan tries to roughhouse the cats or the special tries to eat one.

If you do get one, just make sure the box is pic related. The non-limited edition ones have less option parts and no clutches in the joints.

I imagine they can win. Not so much "kill god" as "drive him away."
I mean, if they DO kill a god, props to them.

Can't put a price on love. Well, clearly you can.

>Cats of Ulthar
This man knows what's up. I would think that an Evangelion-scale Hound of Tindalos would be appropriate as well. I've used time-dialation in my games to hilarious effect.

>when Senpai doubts your commitment and love

I guess I can capitalize some of these loans after all.

Another option might be a Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath. You could have it happen during synch tests or brought on by an Angel. The point is is that ultimately it would be a softer, possibly ongoing look at the larger world and powers probably in a way the kids could understand even if they look like their Evas the entire time in dream.

I'm trying to figure out you'd make ghouls work.

>when Senpai doubts your commitment and love
You don't need to eat every day, right? Besides, i-it's not like I like you or anything...baka.

>Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath
Excellent idea, I would also think that The Shadow out of Time could be made to work in a similar fashion.

I was planning on some of that, but its probavlbly gonna break them more.

>these poses and quality

Go to the beach.

>tfw you realized that the Dunwich Horror is basically a pre-made angel.

Christ, you're a genious.

You even have a Kaworu counterpart.

Me? Oh, no, just a simple country Eva, Sir.

>You even have a Kaworu counterpart.
Nice.

I'm gonna head to sleep. Thanks for the advice. I might start a thread tomorrow.

Surprise father figure?

That, and if Gendo-equivalent-in-the-vents doesn't do it for you, just try to map some displayed phobias and hangups your players have to things their characters suffer from and drive that fucker home. Start subtle and by the end of the campaign pretty much be a freight train directed at their psyche.

You know, for the full Evangelion experience.

>NERV branding on the bottom of the mug
That's damn good.

Woke back up, am going to work. If It's still alive by the time I get back, I'll continue posting in it. Keep coming up with shit guys, this is all pretty good.

Is this really the best EVA game out there? I feel like we are missing the most important facet of EVA here, which is not the robots or the ridiculous amount of poorly thought out symbolism, but the waifus, and then coming to terms with the existence of other humans and the necessity social interactions.

through worshipping waifus of course

One thing, and this will probably be a thing in encounters more than deepest lore, will be the potential for 3 way brawls between Evas, congnizant entities, and mindless entities. Not sure how much you want to go into the different motives of each horror, but they all have their own reasons and some are opposed to each other.

>Wanting waifus

The players should be familiar enough with Eva and creating characters with depth to recognize and roleplay the conditions of the Hedgehog's Dilemma. That's only one issue, though - it's up to the player to round out their character with enough strengths and weaknesses that their GM can exploit as necessary.

the show is quite literally heavily focused on the women in Shinji's life tho. I think you need to rewatch the show, but whatever.

Not OP, but I think it is.

Eva is a really hard game to translate into an RPG format for all kinds of reasons. A lot of stuff that works in the anime would never work at a game table, simply because player mentality doesn't line up with NGE characters.

AdEva... tries. It really does. But in order to make it a playable game, AdEva focuses on the Nerv/Angel conflict when it comes to rules, and when it comes to tumbling down it just gives the players a couple of different kinds of rope and sits back to let them hang themselves with it.

Which kind of works with the right group. I think it works better than the other approach, which would have been focusing the game on the same emotional and psychological themes as the show. AdEva as it is lets you decide what themes and mythology to base your game around. Enforcing those themes in the system from the start seriously limits replay value, because at that point your are literally just replaying the show.

The kids have been drafted to star in a propaganda film to keep spirits high among the populace; obnoxious film crews, dressing room hijinks, bulling handlers, psychotic cameramen that get in the way during an angel fight and the creeping realisation that you're just tools of the military.

Fun for all!!

Is it possible to play a character that's, you know, interactive? Or is social awkwardness a requirement when playing this?
I want to do cosmic and philosophical stories and school campaigns, but I'm put off by the fact everyone either plays a recolored Asuka or Shinji, a crippled kid, the most American kid, a Canadian, or something completely obvious and unoriginal.

>I already have my waifu covered.

reminder that Rey

Is Adeptus Evangelion still an unplayable mess?

V3 is playable. Its got some pitfalls on the GM side of things, its still too easy to make an Angel that is pitifully easy or impossibly hard. Hitting the sweet spot in the middle takes practice.

Still doesn't have OD, and probably never will at this rate. BMJ has all but abandoned the project.

Yes, but that's kind of the point.

Even though I'm about to blow 600 dollary doos I don't have because of you, you're top notch, user.

Back from work. Also, shame on you, .
Everybody knows that Rei is best.

I run Borderline on the regular, wouldn't call it an unplayable mess. Sure, it requires some work on the part of the GM, but that's part of the fun.

V3 is fucking garbage, it's just BMJ's vanity project, and a sad excuse for a system.

Sempai approves.

>Everybody knows that Rei is best.

Asuka literally shit talks someone while he's presumed dead.

> runs Borderline on the regular
> shits on V3

I suspect you might not be the world's most unbiased source. And here I thought the edition war was long dead.

>tfw Reifags vs Asukafag

I can't say I'm really surprised.

At least she has a personality.

A shitty one, yeah.
Rei has a personality, she just doesn't, you know, talk about it. Or anything really.

Yeah, well, you can't really blame her for talking shit about Shinji, considering what he's responsible for.

Never implied that I was, but it's also just my opinion. This is Veeky Forums, edition wars never die. But I can let sleeping dogs lie.

Us Asukafags and Marifags should really just team up at this point.

>can't really blame her for talking shit about Shinji
oh boy, here we go

Fuck it, Code 777: Baka mode engaged.

Fact: Every able-bodied girl looks better in a plug-suit.
Some boys too.

Fact: Choking is a valid sexual fetish for most girls and some boys, too.

I concur.

I would rather die

Our union has been foretold, don't fight it.

Fuck off, everything about the rebuilds is fucking trash. I absolutely refuse to be in anyway related to you and your fapbait waifu.

4.0 when?

Come on Anno, nobody wants to watch your shitty godzilla flick. We want kino.

>tfw you will never watch 4.0 in christmas 2015

why even live?

During a press conference to commemorate the completion of the new Godzilla movie, Anno’s opening remarks was an apology to Evangelion fans for keeping them waiting for the final movie.

“To start with, there is something I’d like to apologize for. To the fans of Evangelion, I am truly, truly, truly sorry for having kept you waiting.”

“At that time, I went into talks with Toho, and it saved me. I think this is how I’m able to keep making Evangelion. However, since it is a fact that I’m making everyone wait, I deeply apologize for that.”

I think the third movie is heavily underappreciated.

I'm glad he threw us the bone.

kill urslef