Armored Core the board game

So as some of you anons may know, an Armored Core title was announced fairly recently in the form of a board game.
A real time strategy board game.

kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game/

A video was just released showing a rough draft of the rules and gameplay

youtube.com/watch?v=9h0THeBKwRk

Not as much of a clusterfuck as a I thought it would be.

What's your thoughts so far fellow fa/tg/uys?
Will you back it?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/500894669/serpents-tongue-a-new-magick-experience/comments
badcrowgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/223252948-Any-chance-you-guys-are-making-special-pieces-like-Evangel-or-Genobee-and-White-Glint-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I still have doubts about the whole real-time thing.

>A real time strategy board game.
What does that even mean?
Isn't that just a strategy board game?

It means everyone goes at the same time, which I have mixed opinions about, but based off the video it doesn't seem to be too confusing, it just encourages a lot of on the spot thinking and short term planning

Hoping the game is okay, but backing it for the miniatures even if it's not.

I've always wanted to play Battletech but can' stand the aesthetic, nor do Gundam-esque replacements do it for me. I like AC stuff a lot, so even if the game is abject shit I will have modular roughly-comparable scale models to sub in.

If the game's good then I'll enjoy that too.

If the real-time aspect sucks no doubt someone will make a version that reverts it to turn-based.

Apparently one of the people involved was associated with a KS that went to shit; Serpent's Tongue or something. If you know more about that I'd like to know, because if I can't trust getting the miniatures then I have no reason to back.

I'm trusting Veeky Forums or another group of wargamers to eventually make a turn based ruleset for the game if the rules are shit.
I saw that in the comments section too, and after some googling apparently one of the main creators got arrested or some shit and the game didn't come with a bunch of the stuff it was promised or something.

kickstarter.com/projects/500894669/serpents-tongue-a-new-magick-experience/comments

I'm hoping that none of that shit will happen since it's officially licensed with From.

Show me a good 9 Ball miniature and we'll talk, don't fuck it up.

Was a version of 9 Ball in V or Verdict Day? I don't think it was.

They only have access to those IPs ATM, so no classic ACs. This also means no White Glint.

Then again, the color scheme is easy enough and I expect fold out grenade launchers and plasma pistols to be a thing, so you can make your own.

There's no way the "real time" thing isn't going to be a total mess. From what it looks like in their FAQ you're limited in how much you can move at a time based on your engine power, represented by tokens, so it either becomes an exercise in how fast you can shuffle tokens around your card between moves or it's just split up into phases anyway and you just have to stall until everyone else moves to get into the most advantageous position and completely break the game.

There also seems to be a big emphasis on "declaring" actions and I just can't help but imagine every game of this ending with a "NU UH! I MOVED!" "YEAH HUH! I CALLED HIT FIRST" argument.

Ok, so, watching that gameplay video it doesn't appear as if there is any reason at all for the game not to be turn based.

But white glint was in verdict day

My bad, I inferred from this answer

badcrowgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/223252948-Any-chance-you-guys-are-making-special-pieces-like-Evangel-or-Genobee-and-White-Glint-

That they wouldn't do it.

No license. They only have the V/ Verdict license, and I think the super-iconic mechs are separately licensed.

bump

I'm backing it for the minis and because the mechanics seem innovative. That doesn't mean they'll work, but they're trying something different and I can respect that.

Watching it as well, I can see some benefit to the whole real time idea. It's an interesting dynamic of resource management and whether to push your luck. You can take actions as fast as you can spend energy, but if you burn yourself out before other players are done, they can punish you for it. I like the idea of a game where you never have to wait for your turn, I think it can create a very different atmosphere to a slower turn based game where you have more time to think on your decisions. I can understand having to rush and think on the fly might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is a lot closer to the mechanics of the source material, the AC games were always pretty frantic in my experience.

Well, if the "real-time" aspect is implemented nicely, I'd consider buying. Game of Thrones board game had a good turn resolution mechanics, so if it's something like that it could be good.

But that's just it, you don't have to rush and think on the fly, you just have to stall until everyone else goes and then do exactly what you said, punish everyone who ran out of energy before you did. Unless there's some kind of time limit mechanic the whole thing will slow down if you're not playing with morons and probably the whole game just stalemates.

Admittedly this is all just speculation, but you'll actually have an advantage NOT playing frantically and playing it at a pace where you might as well have fucking turns, because at least that way you can force people to make a goddamn action and not stall for an advantage.

>But that's just it, you don't have to rush and think on the fly, you just have to stall until everyone else goes and then do exactly what you said, punish everyone who ran out of energy before you did.

Of course, that can lead to you getting shot to shreds, since you are a sitting duck.

According to the FAQ, just call Boost, and build your mech to optimize boosters.

God the game isn't even out yet and it's speculatively already broken.

>God the game isn't even out yet and it's speculatively already broken.

This is true of like, everything.

Also, boost needs energy.

>This is true of like, everything.
True enough. I mean we really just have to wait and see, but with what info we have I don't see any actual advantage to the real time gimmick other than being a cheap gimmick.

>Also, boost needs energy.
Like I said, build your mech to optimize boost.

I think the game has a turn limit, so sitting then moving probably won't work too well on top of the cool down/overheat mechanic, plus since the game is campaign orientated you'll probably only get to pull that tactic a handful of times at most before your rivals start prioritizing you. Boosting only works so many times before dakka finally catches up.
I can still see playing the waiting game like that being a huge advantage though, if there's no turn limit to worry about and if boosting can be spammed badly enough

I'm sure within a week of release someone will have figured out the most broken parts combos.

Which is okay and natural.

People figure out the top tier shit in games pretty regularly. The question is if the divide is so large as to be insurmountable, and if the game remains fun despite being mapped like that.

Also, the different mission types and progression will probably make it a bit more difficult to fully optimize your shit; which is a fun challenge in itself.

Depends entirely on the competence of the devs, which I actually kind of doubt after seeing

I don't actually know if that game is actually bad, it just seems mismanaged.

But yeah, minis and terrain are probably still worth it.

Intrigued...but also worried.

In a series about customizing the absolute fuck out of your mechs, having an initial offering of FOUR mechs is not gonna cut it. For me anyway

Balls. Well maybe I'll jump on if they get the licencing for White Glint and co.

I'm hopeful. My main fear was that playing as fast as possible would just be advantageous and would possibly make it really easy to cheat, since it's hard to examine, act, and watch 3 people at once. But if you finish your turn before everyone else, you're sort of a sitting duck.

Still, the biggest issue will be cheating for me. I won't be able to play this with anyone but close friends, I think.

All that really matters for the models is the legs, everything else is represented by cards, which I'm sure they'll have boatloads of in time if not initially.

I think it'll be pretty easy to avoid and call cheaters out just by counting everything out. Guy X has moved 6 hexes since the start but only has 5 energy consumed and no energy on his boosters? Obviously something is up.

Are you SURE Guy X moved 6 hexes? Because Guy X totally started HERE not HERE.

If you can't trust people not to cheat, why are you playing with them?

It could work like X-Wing but with simultaneous movement rather than in order of initiative.

This is stopped by every single move needing energy. You have to move-energy-move-energy hex-by-hex, which makes cheating harder.