/ysg/ - Yog-Sothothery General

Dis My Monolith Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269

>Recommend things to put in the next OP
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UC9Rpcc3P0jGK7LTMC9dR1xg
hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I unironically believe there exists an intelligence - comparable to man, if not greater - in the deepest recesses of the sea, dormant or no.

octopi and dolphins are not far stretches from already being there. Because we have civilizations doesn't necessarily mean we are smarter.

Why is this a Yog-Sothothery General and not Cthulhu General? If it is because Cthulhu is not that powerful compared to other beings than why not Azatothery General?

Yog-Sothothery is Lovecraft's own term for it. Cthulhu is minor as fuck in the cosmos, and while Azathoth is powerful, he's boring.

Lovecraft referred to his universe as the Yog-Sothothery, since Yog-Sothoth is the universe

NEONHOGGR!?

In the shadow out of time the mc mentions something about meeting a wizard from a few hundred years in our future. I think its implied that magic is commonplace then or something. Did that ever get elaborated on? Did Lovecraft ever write about humanity in the future?

Incidentally i would recommend Future Lovecraft, a sci-fi Lovecraft anthology if anyone is into that sort kf thing.

Pretty much only what we get in "Shadow out of Time". There's an Australian physicist from 2500s, so apparently Australia is still a thing tehn (as are physicists, which would imply some form of higher education system is in place, so it's not, say, a post-apocalyptic wasteland or anything). Apparently China takes over the world at some point (which is also a thing in another Lovecraft story where the protagonist sees visions of the future where China has invaded America), with the "cruel empire of Tsan-Chan" (which, by the way, in modern transliteration should be written Can-Qan, I believe) ruling in 5000 A.D. There's also a "magician of the dark conquerors of 16,000 A.D.", but nothign else is really mentioned from that time. For some reason I see the world at that point having regressed into barbarism similar to how things were in 16, 000 B.C. in the Mythos universe (ie. Conan the Barbarian Time), but there isn't any actual evidence on that since all we know of that time period is that there are dark conquerors and they have magicians.

It's the term Lovecraft used to describe his oeuvre.

Yeah, there's a couple decent stories in Future Lovecraft.

Will these fools ever learn to bump to save their own worthless existences? I think not.

Cthulhu is a shit, Dagon is top tier.

Nope

nice aesthetics, bro

Bump

Any of you investigators going to Gencon?

bump

anyone have any of the new delta green stuff? Or a link where I can find it?

Dagon what are you doing?

Dagon?

DAGON STOP HUMPING THE PILLAR FOR AZATHOTH'S SAKE!

There should be a link in the share thread

"I can't help it!"
"It's. So. Phallic."

>thread: why is the arctic such a good setting for Lovecraftian horror?
>thread: I want to run a beyond the mountains of madness campaign
>ysg almost empty
*sigh*

At any rate, I want to know just how much Lovecraft cannon have ya'll read?

For me it's everything up to "The Whisperer In Darkness", which I'm reading now.

Dagon, Shadow Over Innsmouth, Mountains of Madness, Cthulhu...

And that's it really. Pretty much everything I know about Lovecraft stems from osmosis and asking questions

Up to? There's an order?

there's chronological order

Read all of it in highschool. Forgot most of it, actually.

I'm an audiobookfag so for literally read-read (in approx order I read them):
Starting reading the collection "The Whisperer in Darkness", picked it up from a bookshop on a whim:
>Dagon
>The Nameless City
>The Hound
>The Festival
>The Call of Cthulhu

...then my bro got me the big black Necronomicon collection for my birthday so:
>The Statement of Randolph Carter
>The Doom That Came to Sarnath
>The Cats of Ulthar
>Herbert West - Reanimator
>The Music of Erich Zann
>The Lurking Fear
>The Rats in the Walls
>Under the Pyramids
>The Unnamable

Having since listened to some audiobooks ( based youtube.com/channel/UC9Rpcc3P0jGK7LTMC9dR1xg - I went for the "HP Lovecraft" playlist but it's a bit all over the place, went for the "dream cycle in order" playlist and have just finished The Dreams in the Witch House) and some wikipedia-reading I realise I shoulda tried to read them in some kind of order rather than the almost-random I feel like I've been at them so far

tl;dr hardly any, not enough

Translation in my language is mostly an editorial mess, there are stories I have in triplicate or more, mixed with texts from other authors, in various collections, while i read The Festival and The Temple for the first time a couple months ago. We got new recent translations of what is as far as I can tell all stories related to the Dreamlands a few years ago and more recently a pair of books with new translation of 20 stories related to the Cthulhu Mythos (with awesome artwork originaly made for the RPG) so i'm quite certain at that point i've read the vast majority of Lovecraft's texts and a fair part of other author's most recognized work as well.

hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/

Y'all don't mind reading it on a website, this has pretty much all of his fiction.

With options for chronological and publication order.

Including "collaborations" (I.E. he pretty much did most of the work or was the ghost writer, generally the other party mostly provided the premise) This category often has premises or features he wouldn't necessarily have done on his own, but it's clearly Lovecraft.

Also includes some stuff he did with literary friends like "The Challenge From Beyond" which he did with C.L. Moore, A. Merritt, Robert E. Howard, and Frank Belknap Long. They basically each took parts of the story and they segue into each other.

This is annoying, and as this said nobody ever bumps.

Is it bad I kekked?

>pour fish oil in flask
(the fish oil in the flask)
You pour the fish oil into the flask.

>give flask to bum
His eyes burning with greed, the old man snatches the flask from your hand and tips it up into his waiting mouth. Then, sputtering angrily as he realizes there is no whiskey in it, he hurls the flask across the lot and glares at you with something approaching real hatred.