Fuck this thing, when's Ludevic?

Fuck this thing, when's Ludevic?

Return to Shadows over Innistrad

One card made for EDH and they still can't get it right.

It's activated ability seems way too expensive.

Yeah. And that doesn't even factor in that biting rain or languish could make it a 7 mana drain 1.

In terms of EDH the ability is its strongest point actually. Not because it would be any good to use but it makes color identity GB.

> Behind the P/T curve, in green of all colors
>A measly 3 spiders, and only under a specific situation
> Hilariously overpriced burn effect
It's shit.

>Legendary spider
>before a legendary bear

Who even wanted a legendary spider?

That seems really underwhelming for a mythic.

When I first saw it I thought the Delirium ability happened every upkeep, but it's just a battlecry. Potential 6/11 stats for five mana isn't even good compared to shit like Hanweir.

I run tribal spiders.

Damn Monkey's Paw. It'll get you every time.

>all the people ITT saying it's bad
The ability is parsley, not gravy. Just pretend it doesn't have one, it's there for EDH identity anyways.

Assuming you can get Delerium (fairly big constraint, but it's not that bad considering this thing is a curve topper), the card itself is a powerhouse. P&K is the best thing to compare it to.

If it didn't require delirium it would be unquestionably the best creature I've seen since Rhino.

Pia and Kiran is a way different beast though. Their tokens evade, can be sacced for damage, and they always get them. I don't see a good way to use the spider tokens offensively since they're so useless when not blocking.

The card reads like a bulk limited archetype uncommon.

6/11 stats for five mana IS a lot of stats. Wingmate Roc was only 6/8 for same and it was godlike.

Still, I have a hard time believing somebody would be intimidated by three 1/2s turning sideways. It feels more like you're supposed to play some sort of weird Sultai Spider Delirium Control and just play defensive and activate the ability at end of your opponent's turn.

Wingmate Roc was 6/8 that didn't care about bolt or pyroclasm and had evasion.

6/11 spread over so many bodies is far more defensive than offensive and therefore a whole lot shittier.

I don't think the card was really meant to be a standard card, though I think it can be fine. The mana sink activated ability was probably meant for the wide pool of commander cards and effects that allow for infinite mana in BG, besides as a way to give it BG identity without making it a gold card, with maybe some etb/reanimating synergy to reuse the trigger on top of the commander tax. They also probably wanted to make sure it worked with all the passable BG spider cards of which there is like two.

Those stats are split among a bunch of weak creatures while wing mate doc had evasion with evasion, which is a nightmare for any planeswalkers.

This thing is just pathetic. I have no idea why its so expensive at all. Like I expected it to be a 30cent mythic.

I heard it was actually viable in standard.

If you're making a spider tribal EDH deck, you aren't going competitive. The main reason for the ability is color identity.

Woo! I can trade this to casuals for staples!

How? Like I know standard has terribly low power level problems but how could this thing be viable?

Dunno. They looked like they were pushing really hard for a delirium deck so maybe the tools are there and this is a good top end for a controlly deck. I didn't notice anything that pushed Delirium over the top though.

Infinite Mana Combo+Ishkanah, Grafwidow=Target player loses the game at instant speed.

>Like I expected it to be a 30cent mythic

Wait, it's not?

>googles
>7th most expensive EMO card at 8 dollars

Fuck. At that price you'd expect there to be an actual deck that uses it. If I was told to make a guess, I would have guessed one dollar max.

If you already have an infinite mana combo going, having a card that kills the opponent seems like a formality.

They're actually not hard to get off, especially in green. The issue is that most of the best ways to use infinite mana are X spells, which both require you to have it in your hand at the right moment and are easy to counter. An ability like Widow's is much more reliable.

We, no. I mean it could be number of things but having it as a commander is useful, and the card is decent value standalone just for the etb trigger

>BG identity

That alone is a problem. Yes, there's Spider Spawning and... uhh.. Nyx Weaver. Meanwhile, Giant Trap Door, Needlespeak, Dragonlair, Ancient and Pale Recluse all get shafted.

Now imagine if one of the secondary WBRG commanders just so happened to be a Spider. Mmm.

I'd prefer if it at least created a spider token each time it was activated.

Using it alongside an infinite mana combo makes the cost completely irrelevant. It's not an important factor in the discussion.

Not this Innistrad block. See you in half a decade or more.

You forgot about Ulrich.

I wish I had too.

Maybe he will be in the upcoming commander set. Something like this, but with (b) and (r) in it's color identity.

Ulrich is nice, except when you play against anyone who has blue because you'll never fucking flip anything In commander.

>Ludevic's UG effect gives creatures that enter the battlefield +1/+1 counters
>His BR effect gives creatures a counter for dealing damage to a player
GENIUS

Doesn't seem so bad to me. It is GB color identity, so it can make use of conspiracy.

Red would be weird, wouldn't it? All the cards Ludevic is associated with are black or blue, to my knowledge. Am I wrong?

...good for you? I've got fond memories of an incredibly janky deck with Ancient and Silklash Spiders as the centerpieces, would've been nice to have a Spider commander to make it possible again. Making nonspiders into spiders does nothing one way or another in that regard.

Means you don't even need infinite combos, just 20 or so tokens of any kind and gaea's cradle.

I was lamenting the inability to use red and white spiders alongside Ishkanah, some thanks to nostalgic reasons, I didn't once mention the viability of her life drain.

That Spider is actually seeing Constructed play.

Oh I agree. Ludevic feels more like (b)(u) or (b)(g)(u). We did get Geralf and Gisa through a commander set, I figure Ludevic will follow suite.

>spider lord
>black-green color identity
>there's only one black spider in the entire game

Spider lord should be mono green.

Two actually. Graverobber spider, and Nyx Weaver.