Crusader Quest: Deus Vult

previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=crusader quest
Thread 5 didn't archive fully: archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/34542810/#q34542810
Twitter: twitter.com/KoblOf
pastebins: pastebin.com/u/Joggibear
army sheet: pastebin.com/VzbLdkUr
holdings: pastebin.com/m33m5nZ5

Banners flutter in the high wind, the standards of Christian lords upon the field of Ascalon, the standards of Saracen warriors upon Ascalon's walls. Siege towers stand tall with Christian men around them, within them, a deadly cargo ready to be delivered to Ascalon's walls. Stretched across the wooden assembly were fresh animal hides, the skins of pigs, goats, cows, even slaughtered horses and mules. Necessary protection against fire, but it gave the towers a noticeable stink. Yeomanry filled the hot interior, the first for the wall who would suffer the deadliest fighting.

Three towers in all faced the gates of Ascalon, three tall sentries between which were packed the rank and file of Christendom. Armed with ladders, with picked men packed under leather domes hefting battering rams, protected from the missiles of the fortress.

Behind this sea of glinting spear tips, this armoured mob of glinting helms, the trebuchets continued their bombardment, smacking heavy stone into sheer castle walls. Dents had begun to appear, but the walls still had not given way. The craft that had built the great city of Ascalon endured. On a horse before the siege weapons stood the queen, her personal standard snapping in the wind above her head, her eyes cold upon the Saracen force. She was adorned for battle in white maille threaded with gold, a helm upon her head covering her delicate brow, masking her nose, transforming her elegant face into one of large eyes, high cheek bones, soft lips and metal. Only a wisp of honey-gold hair fell loose from the helm, dancing in the wind across her cheek.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M
youtube.com/watch?v=CkGXnEEk5v4
youtube.com/watch?v=xkRgWU1FS3U
youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-QLl5qjLg
youtube.com/watch?v=414mrPgK5Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=XFHYQihGMk0
youtube.com/watch?v=_R8viSgLTVM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Around her on horse, armoured for battle, were her generals.

Solid and hefty William Bures, Constable of Jerusalem, old grey Pons of Tripoli, dependable Hugh of Jaffa, the bulbous Count of Foix, ancient Pagan of Oultrejordan, owl-eyed Gerard Grenier, Lord of Sidon, Raymond du Puy and Archemboud, lords of the temple orders, and least in standing but first in her army, the young Lord of Ramla, Wilhelm.

They stood beneath the True Cross, the ornate standard of Christ that contained a shard of his execution.

The only sound betrayed beyond the loose of the trebuchet was the snorts and snuffs of their horses, the drawn sniff of Count Pons, a cough from Hugh of Jaffa. None of the high lords spoke, they waited upon Melisende's word.

She raised a gloved hand, lowered it to point at the distant walls. A horn sounded its harsh bleat.

The assault had begun.

> begin as Wilhelm
> begin as Hugo

> begin as Wilhelm

Now is the time!

> begin as Wilhelm

>> begin as Wilhelm

IT BEGINS.

Hows the arm, HF? Hope you're feeling better and its on the mend.

>> begin as Wilhelm

hope you're much feeling better HF

You are Wilhelm, Lord of Ramla, and you stand beside your queen a-horsed watching the advance on the walls of Ascalon, the trudge of boots, the grind of the tower wheels.

The trebuchets had ceased their bombardment as Jerusalem's forces advanced.

In the centre of the army stood the banners of the proud knightly orders, the Poor Fellow Soldiers of Christ in white and red, and the Knights of the Hospital of St John in black and white. The famous Templars and Hospitallers, their ranks filled with holy sworn knights and serjeants, keen to battle, fervent from chant, ready to take the walls in the name of Christ and deliver Ascalon from the Saracen.

Behind them in reserve were the soldiers of Melisende herself, led by William Bures. The footmen and knights of Jerusalem made a second line, ready to fill the gaps.

On the left flank were the banners of Tripoli, Sidon and Jaffa, the sworn vasals of the Queen. Local men and boys that would be keen to prove their worth as defenders of the realm. The right flank was packed thick with foregn banners, French and Spaniard, Foix, Maine and the knightly orders of the Iberian adventurers that had accompanied them. Each had their own tower to assist in taking the walls, each had ladders shared by lists of men for scaling the walls.

Your own troops mingled in reserve, a mix of local and German soldiers, Christ fervent warriors alongside glory seeking adventurers. In the front and armoured thick was Solomon, his black face looking to you from behind a steel bar.

The queen stirred on her horse. "Where will Ramla fight this day?" she asked you.

Where are your personal forces?

> on the left flank
> on the right flank
> in the centre
> your forces are in reserve

>> on the right flank

Time for FLAMIN'

> on the left flank

> in the centre

should we prepare the flamethrower though? it might burn down whatever tower its on

>> on the left flank
I don't know what any of these mean, but let's not choose to be cornered by the sea

Well that's not great.

> on the left flank

>> in the centre

It means either we fight in the center for the most glory, in the reserve top conserve men, or on the flanks, and the flanks will affect who we ally with, foreigners or houses of Jerusalem, it'll affect who sees us as more familiar. I say
>in the center

be back in a sec.

i have a really bad feeling about all of this.

dont fucking jinx it user

We're going down the centre.

Where resistance is greatest.

Well, as long as our tower doesn't die, we should be able to flame a large number of troops.

Then again, we might flame malik.

Rolled 2 (1d2)

Back.

I'm going to flip a coin

1 is left
2 is centre

centre it is.

literally no problem with this

Rolled 66 (1d100)

pray to god user

You point with your spear over the heads of the assembled warriors, to the gate of Ascalon itself.

"I mean to be where the fighting is thickest," you said, "And the glory that awaits beyond it the greatest."

"Go with God," the queen said, raising her hand as if she were releasing a hawk from her wrist. You grinned as you spurred your horse forward, galloping toward your men in reserve. They look up to you, shields raised, helms secured, eyes bright with nerves, with excitement and fear. You raised your spear as you passed.

"With me men of Ramla, with me!" you said, "To the gates of Ascalon and beyond!"

The men cheered. A drum was struck, a beat of a march as they followed you, breaking away from the reserve, marching toward the holy warriors and their siege equipment. Taabards flapped as White and black ranks broke to make room for you. The two masters of the order, young and hail Raymond du Puy and the older, white bearded Archemboud, sat at the head of their orders a-horsed. Raymond's stallion stamped the ground, snuffing deep the raised dust, eyes wild for the fight. He kept his steed in hand.

"Lord Ramla," he said with a touch of hire forelock.

"Lord Ramla," Archamboud repeated, his old face looking glum from the folds and lines of age.

"Masters," you said, "What is the order of battle?"

Raymond spat between a missing tooth, a thin jet of saliva that wet the hard dry soil. "I mean to take these rams up and smash my way in," he said, gesturing to the well covered battering rams, "While ol' Archie tries to take the wall by ladder and tower. Truth, it'll be a hard fight. I'd have preferred a breach be made before an assault called for, but this is the road we are on."

"And where am I in this?" you asked.

Raymond shrugged. "Where ever you please," he said, "You seem to be an architect of fortune, Wilhelm, I'll not gainsay you."

> go with the rams
> use ladders to scale the wall
> take command of the tower

> go with the rams

>> take command of the tower

We'll flame the battlements clear

"I have a weapon of greek fire I intent to use. I'll scour the battlements clean of troops. Send them to hell with holy fire."

Get on the walls its the less suicidal.

youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M

>> take command of the tower
and yes, tell the masters of our weapon so that they're not surprised or caught flatfooted by the fire weapon.

that its greek fire means that their men need to stay away from it.

"I'll take the tower," you said, "And the wall. I have in my position a wonderful, terrible invention. A device that spits Greek Fire."

That causes the masters to look to one another, brows creased. "The Romans will not like it," Archamboud said, "They guard their fire most jealously."

"But if it helps us take the walls, damn them," Raymond punched the flat of his maille'd hand, "Let's see what terror your invention will bring, Wilhelm. God be with you."

"And with you, gentlemen," you dismounted.

Solomon and your commanders, Valeran and Arnold, found you through a thicket of holy robed warriors. The Gascon and the German both looked from you to the wall in an uncomfortable silence, their minds on things to come. Solomon took you by the arm, face split in a white tooth'd grin.

"Now is the day brother," he said. You thumped his shoulder.

"We have the tower," you said, "And with it, we'll be first over the wall."

Your men cheered, thumping breasts, stamping feet, called your name, 'The Lion!' some shouted. Your squires came either side of you, Hugo and Alexius, and your knights stood before you. Etienne, your old friends from Germany the Hellions, Arnold and Valeran, your uncle Hermann, young Elinard who has been given into your care. Knights from Germany and France in their number, spurred and armed for fighting. Most of these young men had seen little fighting, their skills developed in the training grounds of their fathers' estates or in the tourney fields of high lords.

Your old companions, Karl, Gerhard and Ludegard, stepped forth. "Wil," Karl said, "Give us the honour of being the first over the wall. Let us prove ourselves to you." His fist was clenched over his heart, eyes shining.

Elinard stepped forward with surprising boldness. "I-I swore to your s-sister," he said, "That I w-would be first into battle. P-please my lord, let m-me." He shivered in his armour, tabard flapping in the wind, his boldness giving way back to his natural shyness, the scorn of the Hellions turning that shyness to shame.

"Send me, my lord, let me clear the way," Hector said, taking a knee. He was as good a warrior as you could ask for, and his eyes were hungry.

All clamoured for the right to be first onto the wall, declaring their vows, vouching for their marshal skill, appealing to station. The keenness of their desire was evident, so strong if a decision wasn't made it could turn into a quarrel between one another. You had best choose who will lead the assault.

> The Hellions
> Elinard
> Hector
> Yourself
> write-in

> The Hellions

Let them prove themselves. No way we are letting Elinard do it. Bures would have our head on a plate if anything happened to him.

> The Hellions
> Hector

Hector & the Hellions has a nice ring does it not?

> The Hellions
> Hector

Hectors Hellions!

>> The Hellions

Elinard, follow hector, do as he says in this battle.

> The Hellions
> Elinard

> The Hellions
> Hector

Sturmtruppen! and German steel!

Are we going to flame the troops on the wall before we charge or get a foothold then flame.

We need to brief our men when we intend to use the weapon. And to warn them not to charge into folks on fire.

>> The Hellions

Definitely flame first to thin out the wall defenders.

Then we need to brief them on how the flaming will go.

They'll need to keep panicking flaming saracens at spear's length before charging into the cleared area.

"Karl, Gerhard, Ludegard," you looked to each of your old friends one at a time, "You have the first charge. Take the wall, by Christ."

"We will," Karl's fist slammed into his chest, and the other two did the same. Then they looked to each other sharing a snicker, and came into a hug, "Let's kick their arses from here into the sea."

You went to Achilles, who had three flame throwing tubes that he passed out to his assistants. "Be careful with these, my lord," he said, "These flames are not easily quenched, let off at the wrong time and you could bring yourself to ruin. My advice, let the fire burn itself out before moving into the area you loose the flames upon. It's an ugly way to die."

"I will," you said.

"Good luck," Achilles plunked a helmet onto his head and started back towards camp, "this is no place for a fat little man like me."

You waved Achilles farewell.

The tower was wood covered in animal hide at the front and sides, an open back up which a ladder ran over three platforms. Each platform was thick with soldiers, others hanging off the ladder. A ramp would drop from the last tower, spilling men onto the walls. From behind it would be pushed by the muscle of men on foot, grinding the large heavy wheels across the dirt.

The Hellions took the ladder, climbing to the top platform, with them the assistants armed with the flame throwers.

You looked to your men, their attention was on the wall. Some talked to their neighbour to elevate their nerves, others mumbled prayers to the click of rosary beads.

You drew your dascus sword. Your squires were with you, Hugo and Alexius, your men behind you.

A call went up the line and you saw the Templars start forward, white tabards whipping around their knees, shields up on their approach, a chant ringing from their lips, Latin ringing out. 'God is with us, god is great, we do gods will.'

"God wills it!" was more simply cried by others as they marched forward

> roll 1d100, best of three

Rolled 85 (1d100)

youtube.com/watch?v=CkGXnEEk5v4

DEUS VULT!

Rolled 63 (1d100)

Rolled 69 (1d100)

youtube.com/watch?v=xkRgWU1FS3U

this song is omelette du garbage

Dice gods liked it faggot

you post something then

youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-QLl5qjLg

>two steps from hell
>good

literally fucking generic epic

ive got an awesome one saved for a boss fight, just wait. ill post it once we find malik or a commander

"generic epic"

its def not bad, and def better than what you posted, not meanin to be unfriendly tho

youtube.com/watch?v=414mrPgK5Yk
This is a bit more in the vein of what I think would fit... only if I could find a version in french.

i like it. can you find more within this theme? if not epic music is gonna be my playlist

There was a hiss from the walls.

Arrows fell thick and fast, hammering against raised shields, pin wheeling away off the side of helms, embedding themselves into the cover of shields and into cloth and maille. Few fell to the first volley, but more followed soon after, a hammering rain that came in bursts. The men on the top platform of the tower raised shields together, locked in the fashion of ancient Rome, a hard roof for which no arrow could penetrate.

Men snarled as they pushed the tower forward, shoulders pushed into the frame, hands grabbing the beam, all their strength pressed into pushing it forward. Tancred lead the effort with his teeth bared, his back covered by the shields of Franz and another man-at-arms.

"Forward!" Valeran roared, "Forward, to the walls." He touched a young man's shoulder to drive him to greater effort. The tower trudged on, arrows stuck on the side.

As you came closer puts of oil were lobbed. Some smashed into the ground, others managed to smash across the front of the tower. Following them were firey brands, tree branches cut and set aflame. A fire took to the front of the tower but soon gutted out on the animal skins. It was no Greek fire.

More success was had on the Templar ram, a man came screaming out from the hide covering, his tabard alight, his beard burning, grabbing at the cloth and trying to tear it off. Arrows pincushion the man as the fire on the leather case of the ram died, and another Templar disappeared within to take up the slack.

The walls loomed before you. Saracen hands lobbed down stones, one clanging off the side of your shield. A thick hail, you saw someone drop to your left from lobbed missiles.

The Templar ram met the gate. You heard the hiss of steam and saw the boiling pitch fall through sluices down onto the ram, followed soon by the screams of men beneath. A brand was thrown and the whole ram went up in flames, giving off a thick and putrid smoke. Men came scrambling out from under the ram, running and coughing on the fumes. Darts and arrows chased them back to the Templar line.

"In, in!" Archamboud directed his men, who surged forward with ladders, some running back toward the ram that burned even as a pair of fresh rams were brought forth.

"Hold!" the tower was all but pressed against the walls. Ladders were being brought forward and just as quickly cast off. Some came weighed with men, and the defenders had less luck dislodging them.

The ramp of the tower dropped, and from it you saw the gush of the Roman flame, heard the scream on foreign tongues. Tongues of flame darted over the battlement, and where they fell they produced the sound of horror and pain. Those cries were soon drowned out by German battlecries.

"The Rhine!" Karl leapt into the fray, sword and shield ready, Ludegard and Gerhard behind him, vibrant with the energy of the young and foolish. "The Rhine!" their shouts gave over to the clash of steel on steel, and you lost sight of them as more of your men chased in after them.

The spit of Greek fire ceased, lest they burn your own men, the battle given over to sword and spear.

You saw Templars mount the wall above the gate as their battering rams came in around the skeleton of the burned one. The Hospitallers mounting beside them, the black and white banner of their order climbing a ladder in the fist of Raymond du Puy.

> join the fray
> stand back and wait

>> stand back and wait

have the men alternate between the frenzy of melee and using the flamethrower to push the saracens back

>stand back and wait

youtube.com/watch?v=XFHYQihGMk0

>> stand back and wait

>stand back and wait

> stand back and wait

what, join the guys below, the tower raiders, join with the second wave?

You put a hand to the ladder, ushering your men up.

"Go," you say, "Go, go."

They climb hand over hand, swords sheathed, shields strapped, sometimes two at a time. Tancred looped up quickly like some large ginger monkey, swiftly ascending. Above your head from the battlements came the glow of fire, the sound of fighting. A scream rang out and someone fell from the battlements, landing hard in the dirt beside the tower. The man's arms bent at unnatural angles from where he'd tried to stop his fall, his spear splintered beneath him.

The helm was Saracen, you breathed a sigh of relief.

You looked to those still waiting to ascend. Solomon, Sir Hector, your squires and Sir Etienne, Sabeen and her lancers, Franz and Sir Hermann.

> nominate who to send up next, which would stay with you

The only real preference I have is that we stick with Franz and Solomon when we go up, bros 4 lyfe

>your squires and Sir Etienne
>Sir hector

Seconding this Franz and Solomon stay with us

>Sir Hector,
>Sir Etienne
>Sir Hermann.

Please indicate whether or not they're staying with you or going up to join the fight.

Oh sending them up.

They are going up, Franz and Solomon are the ones staying with us

Send up Solomon, Hector and Hermann.
Keep the rest.

So just confirming that Solomon and Franz will stay with Wilhelm.

Going up is Hector, Etienne, Hugo and Alexius and Hermann.

Lock that in?

Correctamundo!

Alexius is staying with us. He is too dumb to survive.

Sounds good to me.

>implying he's not a Savant

"Etienne!" your aide-de-camp steps forward, hand to his sword, "You lead this next wave. Hector, Alexius, Hugo and Hermann, you're all going with him."

"Sir," Etienne thumped his chest as Jacques thumped Hugo's the two boys shared wild grins as they went to the ladder, your other squire following them.

"I-I'm going t-too," Elinard said, stepping forward.

You looked to Hector. "Watch the kid's back," you said, and the Jew nodded.

"I won't fail this time," he said, conjuring Orlando's shade.

Sir Etienne paused at the foot of the ladder. "Who will guard you my lord?" he asked with surprising concern. The Gascon seemed torn between mounting the ladder and guarding your person.

"I have these two for that," you said, gesturing to Solomon and Franz. The old Jew grinned, leaning on his spear, while Solomon boredly stretched his arm overhead.

Etienne looked the two over, then looked back to you. The man nodded, and he started up the ladder with expression tight on the platform far overhead, his squire a rung behind him. You watched each of your picked men disappar up the ladder, your uncle Hermann swinging up last, huff and puffing on the effort it took to drag himself up the ladder until he too at last disappeared into the sound of the fight.

You looked back to the others. Sabeen, Franz, the men-at-arms that had yet to be sent over the wall. You shared with them all an intake of nervous breath.

> roll 1d100, best of three

Rolled 14 (1d100)

Rolled 82 (1d100)

Rolled 68 (1d100)

Deus Vault!

Rolled 49 (1d100)

Rolled 33 (1d100)

please dont be a trend

roll sucks but the pic and title are flawless

Rolled 42 (1d100)

>Solomon boredly stretched his arm overhead

Solobro's seen some shit I take it

Deus Vult.

All of you. Come back home.

>we will never get Solomon a Black Jaguar Pelt/Eagle helm

why live?

we're actually not using solomon very well. Hes wasted guarding us. Next time, he should lead an attack. We dont need the best guarding us, just someone competent.

You watched the battle along the wall. Du Puy had made the battlements with standard aloft, cutting at the Saracen host with sword in other hand, calling to his men with joy writ upon his face. A thicket of Hospitaller spears ringed that standard, pushed back the Saracen defenders. You saw a Hospitaller serjeant cut to ribbons under Saracen blows, his corpse heaved back over the wall, but they didn't dislodge the holy order.

Sections of the wall had been taken by the black clad holy warriors, enclaves defended by spears, jousting at Saracen defenders, keeping them at bay. It was a slow, tight exchange. Gone was the headless rush of assault, given over to a slow advance and consolidation.

Beneath the Hospitallers the Templars had given up trying to batter down the gates of Ascalon. They were too hard, too strong for the strength of Templar arms. Instead they took to ladders, joining their cousins in black upon the walls, trying to throw back the defenders through force of arms and doing a good job of it.

You hoped that the other sections of the army were doing just as well.

You looked back to the army of Jerusalem. Melisende watched with big William Bures on his horse. There had been no move to send in the reserve. You took that to be a good sign.

"When do we go up?" Sabeen asked, gloves tightening on her spear, "Waiting down here, it isn't right." Her eyes flicked up to the battlements, her thoughts no doubt on her lover above.

> now
> wait a while longer

so we should use him to liberate the guardhouse to the Gates?

> wait a while longer

> now

> now

Good roll lad

youtube.com/watch?v=_R8viSgLTVM

>now

>> now
I guess? If people are still burning, better open those gates

We should liberate the guardhouse with him, because you know, deus vult

"Now," you said, and started up the ladder with a nervous thump in your chest.

> roll 1d100 best of three

Rolled 70 (1d100)

Rolled 74 (1d100)

Rolled 48 (1d100)