It's a post-cyberpunk setting

>It's a post-cyberpunk setting

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oeVTkUUCwfo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I feel like that's some modern art sculpture

Going by your pic, I assume "post-cyberpunk" is a post-apoc setting after the nukes wrecked a cybeprunk future.

Not a bad idea really. I mean, functionally it's not much different than your typical postapoc game except the tech left behind is more advanced.

So I guess Fallout but with a Neuromancer trimming instead of a Starship Troopers one.

that spear is gonna break after 1 use.

>world left ruined by the ravages of unconstrained capitalism
>new civilization forms from the ashes
>based upon strict, almost militaristic in its hierarchy and technology worship

Post-cyberpunk refers to futurism after the cyberpunk genre has been deconstructed.

Or some post-modernist shit like that.

Well what else are you gonna use? It's not like there's rocks or anything just lying around

Sounds like Wreck Age.

Judging by your pic, you don't know what that means.

>inb4 Mechanicus posters

>circuit board neatly cut out in a way that would require a knife
>not just making a spear using the knife

>he doesn't know knives are sacred relics
into the barbed wire pit you go

Do you actively search the web for any picture to start a retarded one sentence thread, or do you just pick what rolls around on imgur or pinterest?

>forge weapons from old Nokia phones
>become god

>build house using old gameboys as bricks

Bump.

Fallout

Man, people bitch about the definition of cyberpunk all the time.

Some people think that cyberpunk was a specific literary genre from '83 to '98 and THAT'S IT! Post-cyberpunk would be anything like it that was written in this millenia.

Which is bullshit.

Some people think we've simply moved past cyberpunk as a viable setting as... well... we've got bionic legs, drones, AI, and everyone carries around super-computers in their pocket. We're there. You can't have a sci-fi setting in the "now". Post-cyberpunk would be anything with fore-seeable technology FROM NOW, which includes and excludes a lot of stuff that you didn't see in the 80's.

That makes a little bit of sense.

And some people probably consider post-cyberpunk as literally a cyber-punk world that fell into ruin and lost all it's technology. Which is silly.

OP's image makes me think of "The Scientific People" from The Stars My Destination, which was an absolutely incredible book. I've heard debates about whether it counts as cyberpunk, having been written in the 50s and therefore lacking most of the specific technological trappings of the genre.

>not post-cyberpocalypse

what the fuck does that mean? How can you be post-future?

>literally a cyber-punk world that fell into ruin and lost all it's technology. Which is silly.

Why is that silly?

>they named it the cyberpocalypse
>not the ballocaust
DROPPED

Not him but maybe because post cyberpunk would be a setting based around the future but without the punk part, imagine something like eliminating the mistakes of past wars and shit, something like Megaman ZX could be considered post cyberpunk as it takes place years after MM Zero (which is dystopian as fuck, energy crisis which they put the reploids to blame and cause a holocaust of robots and the only place that is an utopia is Neo Arcadia, and anything besides that is a futuristic ruin, this is cyberpunk as fuck.)

It doesn't have to be post-apocalyptic, just something set on a time of peace (or partially peaceful, rebuilding ain't an easy and free job).

>The north and the west and the south are good hunting ground, but it is forbidden to go east. It is forbidden to go to any of the Dead Places except to search for metal and then he who touches the metal must be a priest or the son of a priest. Afterwards, both the man and the metal must be purified. These are the rules and the laws; they are well made. It is forbidden to cross the great river and look upon the place that was the Place of the Gods—this is most strictly forbidden. We do not even say its name though we know its name. It is there that spirits live, and demons—it is there that there are the ashes of the Great Burning. These things are forbidden—they have been forbidden since the beginning of time.

>My father is a priest; I am the son of a priest. I have been in the Dead Places near us, with my father—at first, I was afraid. When my father went into the house to search for the metal, I stood by the door and my heart felt small and weak. It was a dead man's house, a spirit house. It did not have the smell of man, though there were old bones in a corner. But it is not fitting that a priest's son should show fear. I looked at the bones in the shadow and kept my voice still.

>Then my father came out with the metal—good, strong piece. He looked at me with both eyes but I had not run away. He gave me the metal to hold—I took it and did not die. So he knew that I was truly his son and would be a priest in my time. That was when I was very young—nevertheless, my brothers would not have done it, though they are good hunters. After that, they gave me the good piece of meat and the warm corner of the fire. My father watched over me—he was glad that I should be a priest. But when I boasted or wept without a reason, he punished me more strictly than my brothers. That was right.

>By the Waters of Babylon
You are my Nigga!

Fallout's Pre-War America wasn't a cyberpunk setting though.

>Some people consider it [post cyberpunk] to literally be a cyberpunk world that fell into ruin.
>which is silly
>why is it silly?

Not him either The people of been using the word 'post cyberpunk' in Science fiction in the same way people use 'post punk' in music.

I really hate the term myself because it has no clear definition. neromancer often gets listed as post cyberpunk despite being the defining work of cyberpunk. There is no clear definition if something is cyberpunk/post cyberpunk or just good old science fiction.

PostApocCyberPunk at least tell you what it is.

People like the term because in the end the world has become way too cyberpunk, but without the -punk. Therefore Post Cyberpunk refers as a mere post apoc setting evolved from today's world, rather than a setting evolved from the 90's world.

>Not a post-science fiction setting
>Not living amidst the flowing dunes, travelling between towns built atop collosal ancient pylons
>Not painting and carving huge construction drones into avatars of war gods and setting them upon your foes
>Not conversing with ancient, maddened AIs of half-built ships that never sailed the stars
>Not exorcising holograms and worshipping particle accelerators
>Not hunting for ruins using homemade radios and setting nanoswarms on your enemies to carve them into flesh-statues

I had this idea where the only intelligent 'life' left one Earth after a major Nuclear War or Disease were AI and Uploaded Humans Intelligences living in Intranet Server Farms, and interacting with the world through various Android or Mech bodies. The main goal would be to keep your Farm from becoming nonoperational due to a lack or caretakers or resources to make repairs, finding lost information and other Farms, and maybe finding a way to clean the radiation/disease and find a way to bring back humanity.

The Big Bad of the setting would basically be AM, or something like it, Using Hijacked AIs and Military Drones to hunt down the Farms, Capture AIs, and Eliminate UHIs because it hates Humans.

This is the first time I've ever heard post cyberpunk to mean post-apocalypse cyberpunk rather than simply stuff like infinity or eclipse phase. Where it's a more 00s take on the cyberpunk genre

>that spear is gonna break after 1 use.

Yeah, but until then you'll have access to a whole range of computer-related one-liners:
--Drop your weapon or I'll RAM this up your ass!
--It may byte, but I've taken exception to you... fatal exception.
--When the healers check your vitals, you're gonna be: 404 life not found.
--It's time to make some memories, bitch, so stand still while I insert this into your slot.

Brilliant shit like that.

>stuff like infinity or eclipse phase
I think (and it's a mere personal opinion) that both are merely "classic" Gibson-tier cyberpunk taken a bit further.

Seeing how today's rage is about ecology, post-cyberpunk should be about anti-ecologist smuggling animal-sourced meat and big rigs, probably. Or at least it's what it is in my mind.

How is neuromancer post-cyberpunk? It's about mal-adjusted people and it feels gloomy.

Cyberpunk was ingrained in 90s edginess.
Post-Cyberpunk is just a positive or neutral approach to some cyberpunk staples. It's cyber without the punk.

>taken a bit further.
THAT'S WHAT THE "POST" IS FOR
Cyberpunk societies are inherently instable between the radical anarchist punks and the unsustainable economic exploitation. Post-cyberpunk is post that period, after things have stabilized. Along with being post-cyberpunk in the literary sense (i.e. a reaciton against cyberpunk writings where you see a shift in focus and tone and themes), it is literally post-cyberpunk in a chronological in-universe sense; if you rewind the timeline of Infinity or GitS or other popular post-cyberpunk settings, you will be right smack dab in a traditional cyberpunk setting.

There can be two definitions for "post" in that context. The first being a "classic" cyberpunk taken one century further (eclipse phase, infinity, or a post apoc setting), the second being classical cyberpunk themes being adapted to the 00s or the 10s.

Is it necessarily 'one century further'? For the expression used for stuff was published after the 90s. Even if it something set a couple of years in the future.

The problem is now more what should we consider as post-cyberpunk. late 80s-early 90s cyberpunk situations expanded a few relevant years after, or cyberpunk rebuilt from the ground up from 00s-10s real world ?

Perfect for leveling up my repair skill.

>Cyberpunk was ingrained in 90s edginess.

The 90s helped build on it, but true cyberpunk has its genesis in the 80s. Neuromancer and Blade Runner are kind of two sides of the same codifying coin. Shadowrun came out in 1989, because a couple of guys read a plot summary of Neuromancer and decided it'd be more exciting with Elves in it.

Okay here is 3 definitions of posCyPuk.

>Cyber punk classic

Modern and rebooted stuff that basically could be written in the 80s, ie the matrix, , the upcoming cyberpunk 2077 game shawdowrun minus the elfs.

>cyberpunk the next genration

Ie, further into the Fulture.

>Post apocalyptic cyber punk.

Cyber punk world gone further to shit. Such as fallout to a degree and Muant Year zero.

And of course we got that werid stuff like hackers stuff like Watch_Dogs, person of interest and Mr Robot where it's still suppose to be modern day but it's still cyberpunk for all intents and proposes.

Post Cyberpunk means Cyberpunk that isn't le edgy hackers fighting against the government #yolo and has actual characters with social lives trying to get on in a fairly grounded way.

Ian McDonald writes post cyberpunk for example

Well that's a fairly academic distinction then. King Arthur and Robin Hood might be on the other side of the alignment scale of lawful they still exist within a inside a pesdo historical mediaeval British fantasy settings

Sounds like they ruined cyberpunk to be honest senpai.

If that's the case then is Neuromancer post-cyberpunk? Because

> le edgy hackers fighting against the government #yolo

Doesn't really describe Neuromancer at all. And it was basically the first work of cyberpunk.

River of Gods is the greatest science fiction book ever written so I disagree m8

Cyberpunk doesn't have aperfect definition, but Compare the main characters of ROG to Neuromancer:

>Bill Nye the aeai guy

>Krishna cop woking to get rid of unlicenced aeais

>Female college journo girl in over her head and enjoyingg every second

>ect ect because theres like 8 POV chacters in that book

The only really "cyberpunk" protagonist in ROG is Shiv, the rest are basically normal non sleazy people. Compare to Neuromancer;

>Drug addicted hacker
>His street tough ex prostitute gf

Now I love Neuromancer, but I usually make the cyberpunk/post cyberpunk divide essentially be the divide between the non criminal scum eschelons of society and the ones with normal people, there's a weird amount of overlay though, so you gota tackle it in a case (hah) by case basis. Like so;

Technobabylon? Post cyberpunk

When gravity fails? The greatest work of normal cyberunk

Strange days? Cyberpunk

The Sheep Look Up? post cyberpunk made before cyberpunk was a thing

>The Sheep Look Up? Dystopian prophecy

Fix'd. John Brunner briefly tapped into the root truth of reality and then went all Cassandra.

? What do you mean

I'm fucking shocked I met someone that also read this, annoys me too because The Sheep Look Up is the scariest book I've ever read

I mean that Stand on Zanzibar and The Sheep Look Up make Nostradamus look like the goldbug commercials on CNBC. Monsanto, ConAgra, the Zika virus, MRSA, XDR TB, glyphosate, mass bee die-offs, the Syrian famine, mass migrations... we're actively watching this shit come true, it was all laid out in black and white damn near FIVE DECADES AGO, and no one seems to notice nor care. You're goddamn right it's horrifying.

I don't know that it counts as cyberpunk. But I agree, the megacorps, the corruption, the anti-hero outsider protagonist, it has a lot in common thematically. Call it psi-punk maybe.

The Sheep Look Up, Shockwave Rider, and Stand on Zanzibar are so fucking weird. Because John Brunner is just tooling along, being a sort of "Oh you mean he's not John Wyndham?" vaguely generic British sci-fi author and then these three just come out of fucking nowhere.

>The smoke is coming from America

Jesus fuck man....

Prexy is LITERALLY Trump

youtube.com/watch?v=oeVTkUUCwfo

So if I was never defined by the characters, imho.

Define buy the world, the urban sprawl of the technological dystopia.

As much as Veeky Forums hates Steam Punk the Victorian settings suits it perfectly. Just hate the 'clock flops'

>shawdowrun minus the elfs.
SR updates itself and its concepts every edition tho.

Globalization failed as world's leading powers became to be dominated by alt rightists, big international corps were de facto nationalized, travel between countries is extremely rerstricted by ruling elites to prevent cultural and genetic pollution. Cyberpunkish body modification is widespread among lower classes and in poorer nations, rich people only do anti aging treatments as they are tended by hordes of slave AIs that keep them ahead without moving as finger themselves.

Is it cyberpunk or postcyberpunk?

Depends on what date you set relative to today fuckstain and even then its only going to matter to you. And only you.

>How is neuromancer post-cyberpunk?

Step one is to realize that literary analysis has a lot of retards in it, and you don't earn your PHD by saying things people already know.

The problem with using post- as a prefix on a sci-fi genre is that it confuses two things:

Is it the author or the setting that is post-?

Gritty street-level near-future science fiction written today is reasonably described as post-cyberpunk in the sense that the Author has probably read a lot of classic cyberpunk and his works are a reaction to it - his works are written after classic cyberpunk. Your "Snow Crash" and "Diamond Age" are here. This is the "genre" post-cyberpunk.

Far-future science fiction written between the late seventies and early nineties in a setting that had a cyberpunk period but then 200 years passed (but the grit and the anti-corp sentiment remains) can also reasonably be described as post-cyberpunk. The movie "Alien" belongs here.

And then you have almost all far-future science fiction written today, by authors who have read classic cyberpunk. They are not truly trying to emulate anything cyberpunk as such, but the basic insights of cyberpunk are part of their world-view, so everything they write is affected by it and the books they write could not have been written before the cyberpunk genre existed. This can also reasonably be described as post-cyberpunk. You get e.g. Eclipse Phase here, but also for example if you take something bog-standard Military Sci-Fi like David Weber's Honor Harrngton series. It is clearly not cyberpunk, but at the same time it clearly has cyberpunk inspirations - you have cybernetic augments, corporate espionage, the cold war going hot, failing government bureaucracies etc. etc.

Also, what if you just want a cyperpunk game where the group plays mail couriers?

>Me at Gigamesh, biggest science-fiction specialized bookstore in Europe.
>I ask one of the clerks how science-fiction novels are selling.
>Science-fiction literature has dropped and sword and sorcery is ascending.
>Why?
-Had you read Voyage to the Moon and 20,000 Fathoms Under the Sea by Verne?
>Yeah
-Most people don't because it came true
>Okay but what that haves to do with contemporary science-fiction?
-Had you read Bruner's Stand on Zanzibar and The Sheep Look Up?
>Ye...Oh fuck

>Bruner's Stand on Zanzibar and The Sheep Look Up?
These two I so not know.
Explain.

Stand on Zanzibar is a novel in the line of Make Room! Make Room! (the novel in which Soylent Green was inspired) and similar tales about over population and it consequences. The Sheep Look Up is a distopian future story which deals with an over polluted world thanks to wild capitalism running rampant.

>even David Weber is post-cyberpunk
this is why I come to Veeky Forums

>even David Weber is post-cyberpunk

I mean, clearly he isn't, in the sense of post-cyberpunk as a genre.

But clearly he is, in the trivial sense that his books are written in the post-cyberpunk period (That is, every year from cyberpunk and until the sun burns out. Penelope Ward's "Stepbrother Dearest" pseudo-incest romance novel belongs here as well.)

And not-so-clearly, perhaps - but what I am arguing in - his books, because they are scifi written in this post-cyberpunk era, have obvious signs of being written in the post-cyberpunk era.

>Also, what if you just want a cyperpunk game where the group plays mail couriers?

Then you run into the problem that it is very difficult to run a classic cyberpunk setting today, informed by the facts of modern technology.

When e.g. Gibson wanted somebody to be found and he was writing a gritty near-future book, he might invoke the power of the internet, and then refer to the fact that their credit-card transactions can be tracked so you can know at least what part of what city they're in.

But today, if you're running a gritty near-future game, you know about Big Data, about Google Location Services and intrusive facebook tracking. I don't even need to know what your account is - I just buy into the facebook API and see what people LIKE you are doing.

Of course no one cares. There's nothing they can do.

It's too late, it was always too late, it was too late before it even began, and now we're all going to pay for the mistakes of men too old or too dead to care about consequences.

>But today, if you're running a gritty near-future game, you know about Big Data, about Google Location Services and intrusive facebook tracking. I don't even need to know what your account is - I just buy into the facebook API and see what people LIKE you are doing.

And cell phones with cameras - I forgot about those.

Not defined by the characters? The whole "punk" refers to outsider/lower class heroes fighting against larger opponents. That's what makes it a "punk" genre. Without that, it's just dystopian science fiction which shares some common elements with cyberpunk.

The problem Veeky Forums has with Steam Punk isn't that it's in a Victorian (well, actually most every setting is pretty Edwardian but Victorian sounds better) setting, it's that everybody forgot about the punk. But steam punk sounds better than neo-Victorian science fantasy

Ironically it originally was and there are things left in first game like mutants having cybernetic, some cyberpunkish guy in the Hub (think he was playing computer game or something) and some stuff left inside files like art for robotic hand from some enemy. It wasn't 80s/90 style cyberpunk though, but rather 50s retrofuture cyberpunk and cyberpunk part never got really removed since for example cyborgs are still a thing in later games and lore. Cyberpunk things were just supposed to be far more common in original design.

>It's a post-cyberpunk setting

QUANT SUFF!

It looks quite quick and simple to make.

It would break off In the wound hopefully; common Eurasian and American ground plants can be used to envenom a javelin head too; I'd smear it with Foxglove Root to cause respiratory paralysis.

I imagine post-cyber punk boils down to every human turning into ghouls. Life-less husks almost like meth/heroin addicts gone too far with. Having a highly active, 24/7 jacked into the net life style with sensation on a button press and body modifications, you can see where suddenly being ripped from that might leave people scrambling for something.

Hell you can even see it now. Switch a tv off on a kid watching cartoons or somthing. Now multiply that x1000. You then have a race of beings trying to get just a little taste of the sensation they had.

I'm sure there's a way to compare random access to getting stabbed but I'm not finding it.

"This is a Ram Stick, but I'll save this moment forever."

Alternatively; "This is just a Ram Stick, so Killing you will be forgettable."

The protagonist isn't a rebel - he's just an office drone or a middle manager in one of the megacorp's subsidiaries. He doesn't have the luxury of striking out at the stupidity of the corporate structure or the empty drudgery of life - he has to actually deal with those things.

It could be like a cyberpunk Shaun of the Dead.

CyberDilbert is the chump who has to clean up the mess caused by netrunners cracking into his corp's database and generally making a mess of the place with their cybersquatting. He is the Matrix equivalent of the old man shooing the kids off his lawn crossed with a disgruntled janitor.

When the rebels drop the CEO through a glass wall and down a hundred and fifty stories, the Vice President of Marketing becomes the new CEO, which means someone moves up to take his job and N rungs down the corporate ladder, CyberDilbert gets a chance to compete for a promotion. He has to figure out how to cram his resume full of buzzwords and Anne from accounting tries to spike his morning coffee with nanites in a misguided attempt to rid herself of competition.

When people start setting up nanofactories, CyberDilbert gets put on the project to proof all the corp's products against being copied. His boss is playing budget chicken against another department, his coworkers are braindead, and the whole project is technically and technologically impossible, so he just kind of ends up playing a lot of solitaire.

Sounds like you should just write a book.
It could be the antithesis to Snow Crash.

It's not defined by the *attitude* of the characters. They are just is likely to be part of the system as against it.

Yet the game didn't really go into a full parody of 50s America until fallout 3.

The original games are just as much reflectioms on late 80s early 90d energy concerns, as a fear of an rising Asian superpower.

>Yet the game didn't really go into a full parody of 50s America until fallout 3.
>The original games are just as much reflectioms on late 80s early 90d energy concerns, as a fear of an rising Asian superpower.

True, but aesthetic (with exception of most survivalist communities outside vaults more influenced by Mad Max) and technology was 50s retrofuturism even in originals. Fallout 3 just went overboard with it and made it more than that.

>The Sheep Look Up?
John Brunner was fantastic.

>He predicted a President Obomi
>but not of the USA
>predicted affirmative action and political correctness
>predicted the legalization of marijuana
>invented the term "computer worm"
>predicted hacking and phreaking
>predicted muslim terrorist massacres
>SCANALYZER is Facebook & Google
>Puritan Health Supermarket is Whole Foods
>but he got all the environmental pollution of the 50s/60s wrong. At least in the first world.

>"This is indeed the father and mother of all tapeworms. It's of a type known as parthenogenetic. If you're acquainted with contemporary data-processing jargon, you'll have noticed how much use it makes of terminology derived from the study of living animals. And with reason. Not for nothing is a tapeworm called a tapeworm. It can be made to breed. Most can only do so if they are fertilized; that's to say, if they're interfered with from outside. For example, the worm that prevents the Fedcomps from monitoring calls to Hearing Aid, and the similar but larger one that was released at Weychopee—Electric Skillet—to shut down the net in the event of enemy occupation: those are designed to lay dormant until tampered with. That's true of all phage-type worms."

>OP's picture of a IC turned into a spear
>literally a cyber-punk world that fell into ruin and lost all it's technology. Which is silly.
>Why is that silly?
Did you see that fucking picture?

Second, you don't really LOSE technology. Ideas are really hardy and unless you're looking at a genocide event.

A collapse, dying world, post-apocalyptic setting might have people lose capabilities, but there will still be fucking BOOKS hidden places.

And yeah, that's more accurately post-apocalyptic rather than post-cyberpunk.

>international year of global understanding
What a hell of a year it's been thus far

>you don't really LOSE technology

Tech is almost always lost when a civilization collapses, and a lot of civilizations have collapsed.

kek

Sounds like a pretty interesting couple of reads

The easiest way to explain what post-cyberpunk is is a setting in which the stuff like cyberlimbs, genesplicing, decking, and what have you becomes ubiquitous to the point where everyone can has access it if they want it.

So like Star Trek?

>but there will still be fucking BOOKS
Which will be pretty damn useless once the illiteracy rate skyrockets when the next generation arrives. And most modern technology requires a lot of infrastructure to work. You might know how to build a computer but you need to have parts to do so. Parts are made in factories that no longer exist. Factories and computers need power which isn't avaliable in sufficent amount. Books also deteriorate, in few generations all books that those people will have will be either in bad shape or copies of copies filled with errors.

>So I guess Fallout but with a Neuromancer trimming

Neuromancer had post-apocalyptic parts, in it Bonn is a nuclear whole, also Babylon AD is post apocalyptic cyberpunk done right...and the shitty movie adaptation isn't all that bad, the book is better though.