ASoIaF General Discussion

Kingslayer edition

A thread for discussing the setting of George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels and all related traditional gaming.

Possible topics of discussion include the novels themselves, Green Ronin's licensed rpg, the card and board games by Fantasy Flight Games, general aSoIaF lore and theories, artwork, HBO's adaptation 'Game of Thrones' and the computer rpg, as well as the Telltale series.

A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
>mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/SIFRP

The Lands of Ice and Fire (Maps)
>mediafire.com/folder/q5a5zbkb30uxo/TLoIaF

A Game of Thrones: The Living Card Game
-Tutorial, Rules and Errata
>fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=10&esem=4
-Card Spoilers
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html
-Deckbuilder
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/gameofthrones/game-of-thrones-deck-builder

Other urls found in this thread:

awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dornish_Marches
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palustrine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_meadow
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernal_pool
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrub_swamp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_bog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskeg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

YES

So, do you guys think stannis is a pretty cool bloke?

I like Stannis, but not as much as I like Melisandre. She's with Davos, Sansa and Jaime in my favourite character list.

agree with user, melisandre is cooler. stannis is cool though if you disregard his character assassination in the show

One
True
King

Born amidst salt and smoke, eh?

petyr for the iron throne

You do realize that neither him, nor Varys are going to make it?

doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool as fuck and extremely satisfying

Can I dwell on what I scarce remember? I held a castle on the Marches once, and there was a woman I was pledged to marry, but I could not find that castle today, nor tell you the color of that woman's hair. Who knighted me, old friend? What were my favorite foods? It all fades. Sometimes I think I was born on the bloody grass in that grove of ash, with the taste of fire in my mouth and a hole in my chest. Are you my mother, Thoros?

Who do you guys reckon Sansa will end up marrying? Apparently there's some prophecy with the Hedge Knight graphic novel leaning towards a marriage with Jon. Currently it seems a probably outcome, given their position in the HBO adaptation, but they'd still be cousins. I suppose it fits with Targaryen tradition, though. lol.

Sansa is still married to Tyrion as far as the law goes, Neither Tommen(aka Cercei) nor the High Sparrow dissolved the marriage.

I don't think they'll care about the legality of it once the Lannisters get dethroned and can't do anything about her marrying someone else?

Quick question about the setting backstory, what's up with the maesters, in brief, simple terms? I've read a couple of theories on the internet that basically argue that the maesters have been trying to kill magic for centuries now.

Were they killing all magic? The Others and wargs and shit going on beyond the Wall was still working, the weirwood-internet was doing just fine, the Wall was still working, and really they don't seem to have been having too much luck outside of Westeros itself, the Faceless Men have been using their own magic for generations and generations and it wasn't at all influenced, it seems, by the maesters attempting to prevent magic. But at the same time, there are mentions to how with dragons returning, magic is getting stronger, so were they only killing some types of magic and leaving others alone?

Maesters managed to kill overt and powerful magic like glass candles. Also, Melisandre manages to throw a full blown fireball during a battle for the Wall and kill an enemy skinchanger with it, there's no way she could have done it before.

They're trying to kill magic by erasing all trace of it written. Stuff like the Wall cannot be erased/destroyed sure, but the children of the forest are a mere legend in some regions.

Then again there are some maester studying magic and they're having the boner of the century since the dragons returned.

That doesn't seem like it would work as soon as you stepped outside their reach, which is everywhere outside Westeros. Pretty stupid plan, information would still have come in from Essos and elsewhere by traders that magic was still possible.

Well yeah, but the Citadel and the Faith are in a somewhat strange relationship so anything magical will be considered as heresy foul and gross or something.

The nobles will know better than to piss both groups and the smallfolks won't really give a shit after a few years.

for most of the people living in Westeros, Essos is a fallen land where the Seven don't give their blessing to those living there. Kinda the same as when Rome was kicking around.

Is there any info on how old the citadel is?

I always assumed they started after magic had already faded away. As they collected material from that time, it would make sense that they would study it and preserve it, but when it didn't work it would explain why they would be so dismissive of it.

Just like real historians do with real ancient myths.

who /teamaegon/ here?
fuck off renly.

>supporting a blackfyre pretender
>not the true Queen of Westeros

Dany a best. Kill the pretender.

Anyone who thinks that Dany will be a good queen for Westeros should just off themselves, it would be quicker and more pleasant than living under her rule. Ask Meereen, Astapor and Yunkai how wise Daenerys is.

So I'm considering running a quest using the SIFRP rules.

The premise is you would take on the role of a notable commander during the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. Would be one of three backgrounds, a third born son of a minor House (House is too poor to promise him an inheritance so he went off to make his own fortune), a former Hedge Knight who made his name in conflicts earlier and now serves the Crown (might be a bastard or just an upstart peasant) or a sellsword Captain from Essos employed by the Lannisters.

Each would come with their own Elite starting unit that pertains to their particular specialization (Noble: Siege and Counter Siege, Hedge Knight: Open Melee & Mass Combat Tactics, i.e. Hammer and Anvil, Sellsword: Ambush & Infiltration). But after that I sort of run into a wall on how to go about this.

I considered maybe making a custom "House Creation" roll set for each and make a "House" that would pertain to your army. Influence would be your bar-o-meter to how notable of a commander you are within the army, Population would be your camp followers, servants, stuff like that, Law the order you hold in your warcamps (too low and people desert or refuse to serve), Power obviously for the units in your army, and Wealth for your personal coffers, purchasing better arms and armor for your army and upgrades such as Blacksmiths to join your warcamp. I run into a road block with Defense and Lands. I'm not sure how to include them.

My second issue is that it will be a heavily war based quest. But the Mass Combat rules are... Clunky. They're workable, but I feel like the amount of rolling will bog down the quest in numbers and constant votes on, "what does unit X do, orders, movements, advance orders, etc."

So my question is, would there be an audience for such a quest? Do people know the SIFRP system well enough from the other GoT quests to be able to manage all of that or should I streamline it? If the latter, how? Taking any sort of suggestions on this.

>Arthur Dayne Tier:
Stannis
Asha Greyjoy
Jaime Lannister

>Top Tier
Davos
Arya
Tywin
Sam Tarley
Tyrion

>Mid Tier
Jon Snow
Roose Bolton
Sansa
Eddard

>Low Tier
Bran
Dany
Brienne

>Cersei Tier
Everyone else

I think the key to doing this is to make it m&b esq in that each player controls and plays their character during the battle while also soft directing the strategy.

That way the strategists players can sit back and micromanage the battle from afar and the players that just want to be a bad ass soldier can john snow it up with the battle plan having been set beforehand.

>would there be an audience for such a quest?
Yes
>Do people know the SIFRP system well enough from the other GoT quests to be able to manage all of that or should I streamline it?
Shit's broken, Harrock, Bordain, Brachen and Malroy all used a dumbed down version, try to use each of them and see which one you like best.

What did you guys think of the TV series?
The last season was decent in my opinion, some really bad scenes but definitely a huge improvement over season 5, which was absolute trash I'd say.

Watched it on and off over the course of its run. The longer the show goes on, the less it took from the books which got me less interested. Dan and Dave have blatantly shallow tastes, and it really shows as the series continues. It's clear they only barely read the books at all, because they up the gore and shock value well beyond Martin's level. It's getting infantile, and I lost all interest after they quite literally character assassinated Stannis

That sounds like fun, I'd play it.

>But the Mass Combat rules are... Clunky.
They definitely can be. The last time I used them for House Malroy I simmed all the battles beforehand and had Brynden's actions influence the battle in various ways.

From what I gather that's not quite what you want to do. Rather give the players the option to be the strategist and organizing the battles in thread. I'd suggest doing a one-off, try a couple different ways to run combat and see what works, get some feedback from the various anons who might know the system.

>I run into a road block with Defense and Lands. I'm not sure how to include them.

Defense could be used for custom defensive structures used during combat, or the 'defense' of your warcamp in the case of night attacks or something similar. Base the number off the core defensive structures and their corresponding bonus, example. MC has a Defense score of 10, his warcamp gives the units stationed there +3 bonus to Defense, and you're able to station 1 unit there, the equivalent of a Tower. Something like that might work.

Lands I got nothing for.

I think the idea is interesting though, best of luck user.

When house first founding roll says old it gives the example of "Rhoynar Invasion", does it mean the Rhoynish migration that happened around ~700 BC or the Rhoynish wars of ~950 BC?
I know, super important question but it just bothers me, especially since I have been given the task of writing our House history.

>Dorne.
>Riverlands.
>Roose's death.
>Rickon's return and death.
>Bastardbowl.
>The Hound's return.
>The Kingsmoot and Euron.
>Arya's story.
>The tower of Joy.
>HOLD THE DOOR.
>Everything else I might have forgotten.

The season is worse than 5, if this was a NTR story we'd be at the point where the cucked gets off seeing his girl being fucked by other dudes.
>WUN WUN DIES, DAMNIT.

I think it meant Nymeria landing in Dorne.

Stannis would be the best right-hand man ever.
But Donal Noye told true; he's too rigid, and he'll break when he should bend.

>Also, Melisandre manages to throw a full blown fireball during a battle for the Wall and kill an enemy skinchanger with it, there's no way she could have done it before.

>TV show

The Citadel is OLD, and it's been around since magic was still around and they didn't really actively "destroy" magic at all. They did actively try to ignore it because magic in Planetos is weird and illogical and nonsensical which means their structured and rigid studies of it are basically totally useless.

Even when magic was common it wasn't often flashy or even obvious. Martin himself said that he hates flashy magic, and so there's relatively little in Westeros. A lot of it seems to be prophecy and illusions mostly.

She does this in the book, user.

And it wasn't a fireball, she straight up just looked at the hawk and it burst into flames.

Why is everyone dissing Dorne? Sure, there may not be a lot of important shit going on besides the last episode but god damn the chicks are hot.
"BAD PUSSHEEE"

That's the Rhoynar Invasion, yeah, Nymeria's landing.
That said, dates are SKETCHY in Westeros as Sam has pointed out; a recurring theme of the novel's is how time and distances distorts the truth and turns fact into rumor and legend.

Such a shit line. Jesus those HBO-written lines are transparent as hell.

I like Dorne. Do not like the show version.
But to each his or her own.
I don't drink Diet Coke either when I drink Coke, or non-alcoholic beer, but some people like that stuff. I won't judge.

You left out a top tier character

Oh that.
Yeah her little act of spontaneous combustion vision is about as "direct" as magic has ever gotten in the books.

>Yeah her little act of spontaneous combustion vision is about as "direct" as magic has ever gotten in the books.

Are you forgetting the part where she gave birth to a shadow demon?

Or warging for that matter.

Or bringing people back from the dead.

I've waited long for this.

I just bought the core set for the 2nd edition of the card game.

Do you guys have a good idea for setting up the game for 2-4 players without deckbuilding? I'm not a pro player nor will I become one so we just want to play it at home.

People say that you need 3 core sets if you want to build a good deck or want to play single faction vs single faction but I probably won't be doing that.

Worth the wait

I feel like in an ASOIAF RPG, the most fun experience would be as an Ironborn character.

Might try it some day. Reaving sounds fun.

my Summer Islander

What regions of the world would you like to see explored in a future RPG book and/or companion novel?

On a related topic, I want a companion novel narrating the travels of Lomas Longstrider and Corlys Velaryon

The Shadowlands and Old Valyeria always kind of interested me.

The far North is also fascinating, and GRRM has outright said it'll be a big focus in the next book when it releases in 2043. However it'll almost certainly be from Bran's PoV, and he's one of the less interesting characters.

Anywhere in Essos would be nice. It's such a fascinating continent, just a shame we have to see it mostly through Dany's eyes through the books. (I love the Essos chapters of any other character located there though)

Though, for a companion novel, I'd like either the Far North (Land of Always Winter or even further north than that), or the Far South (whatever the fuck is in Sothoryos)

I'd be really interested in a Summer Isle, Yi Ti, or Five Forts.

Especially anything to the far east. So much crazy shit out that way.

w-why is bonner formed?

Weird to see a general I created being used.

Even weirder that it's actually getting replies.

Anyways, Dolorous Edd will sit on the Iron Throne.

>2047

>inb4 he redirects his energy towards revitalizing the wild cards series

/tv/ is fucking cancer tbqh, hopefully this thread keeps being used and asoiaf threads become a regular thing here.

>why is it bad
>sure its boring
>sure its bad acting
>BUT HAWT WIMMINZ
Jesus Fuck beta orbiters will watch anything with tits.

There's literally no way the story can finish in two books.

It'll need to be at least three now, way too many subplots to get around to and finish. The only way GRRM can finish the series in two books is by abandoning a ton of plotlines, and I don't see him doing this.

I think he long ago admitted it was probably going to be eight books instead of the planned seven.

But that was also before Winds of Winter was confirmed for not having a 2015 release.

>perfect shot through Wun Wun's eye
>job literally right next to him

>but god damn the chicks are hot.

I'm not 13 any more.

Brienne is my waifu.

DO IT, DO IT NOW! WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE!

In all honesty though, can you drop a skype or something so we can get in on this?

bump

>When you still try to find a proper place in the map that has all the purchased Land holdings in the correct Realm while you should just handwave it.
If only there were an on/off switch to being a lore nerd.

>One true king
Never got that, really. Robert was King by right of conquest. Stannis's claim relies on Robert. But if Stannis can't secure the throne, doesn't that mean the Lannisters are the true rulers by right of conquest, the same that justified Rober's rule? Because if right of conquest is decided to be BS, the throne really belongs to some Targaryen, maybe Aegon, or Daenerys.

I NEVER use canon Westeros.
Ever since I started GMing I've been using a version where Aegon V's third son Daeron Targaryen inherited because Jaehaerys II died of illness when he was young (not difficult to imagine seeing as he was described as being always sickly) and so Aerys II was never born, this being the catalyst for an entire generation of different births and lords.

It's actually a lot more fun for my group because we don't need to worry about the canon timeline and they can't expect to know "what happens next" because of the books, and the emphasis I placed on creating all the major lords changes the initial setting quite a bit.

What land holdings do you have?

>whatever the fuck is in Sothoryos
According to the world book, pterodactyls ("wyverns") and Jurassic Park velociraptors, literally.

That's good and all but you can still roll even older houses. In the worst case scenario we are talking about Age of fucking Heroes which was 10,000 BC.
My group thought it might be funny if we just took three wetlands with ruins and a single plain. It might have worked in the Riverlands but this House is in Stormlands.

Robert came into power because all of the Targaryens who could've succeeded to the throne were either dead or disappeared. Basically, the chair was empty, and no one could legally sit in it so Bobby B said he was the strongest so he got the chair.

When Robert died, there were still others who were entitled to that line. Robert had no trueborn noble children, so by law the Mannis is the true king. At least, if people were actually aware of the Baratheon kids' origins.

>My group thought it might be funny if we just took three wetlands with ruins and a single plain. It might have worked in the Riverlands but this House is in Stormlands.
>wetlands w/ ruins
>Stormlands

Use the Dornish Marches:

>awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dornish_Marches
>The hundreds of leagues of the marches consist of grassland, moors, and plains, with a portion of the Red Mountains to the east.
>For over a thousand years the marches were common battlegrounds between the stormlands, the Reach and Dorne until the last century

Just place them near one of the rivers and you're golden, fluff the wetlands as floodplains and the ruins as former holdfasts from ages passed.

But river is a land feature that can be bought. Wouldn't being near a river require it?

>yfw he dies in the books

>Robert came into power because all of the Targaryens who could've succeeded to the throne were either dead or disappeared.
Define "disappeared". Viserys was still out there. He had a reputation as the "beggar king" but that's not too different from post-blackwater Stannis really.

Mate I don't know, that just looks like your best option to me.

Say the water table is particularly thin in the area? I honestly would not worry about the details too much, just throw it in the Dornish Marches and it'll work out, it matches your domains pretty well otherwise.

Robert had a claim on basis of a Targeryen who married into his family some generations back. It was strong enough to count.

Ned actually had a claim as strong or stronger on the same basis, he just didn't want the throne.

I guess that works. Now I just have to find a conflict where dragons may have made a ruin around there for some reason or another... And before you say anything, it's what GM wishes.

IIRC, the implicit argument was the rumors of Viserys painted him as an impotent wannabe who effectively abdicated his claim by being such a putz.

Which isn't all that far from the truth.

Well Viserys did get crowned in the end so I guess it all worked out for him.

I like the Jacob Preston 'some people are kind of psychic' theory.

Preston has about 50% genius ideas and 50% retarded ideas

He's my favourite theorist in the ASOIAF community by far

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palustrine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_meadow
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernal_pool
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrub_swamp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_bog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskeg

You don't need a river for wetlands, but you could get your wetness from someone else's river, the GM'd just have to give one to a neighboring house. Or you just own a piece of a much large marsh.

Maybe one of Argilac's bannermen escaped the Last Storm and attempted to continue fighting the Targaryens from some remote hall. Or he was the one that cut off Aegon's envoy's hands. Either are more than enough reason for Meraxyes to burn his ass.

Who is the greatest cuck in the seven kingdoms?

literally Robert

>Robert
>a cuck

>checked

stay mad Gendry

varys is actually right though. Aegon is born to rule though. He has been taught that kingship is his duty.

>theon
>not arthur dayne or top tier

To be fair, the most we have on his actual capabilities are people who benefit from him being king saying "this foreign child who's never actually held any position is the best fit for the job guys, we swear."

God Victarion's a fucking idiot.
Even the author admits to him being a complete idiot; he's a hell of a fighter but there's nary a brain cell twixt his ears.

Tyrion also was fairly able to constantly poke holes in his logic and train of thought during their short time together.
I think Egg 2 has the POTENTIAL to be a good king, but right now he has what amounts to a lot of good schooling but literally no practical experience, and he seems to make a lot of assumptions based on what he is TOLD is true or might happen rather then think about alternative possibilities in case something doesn't work out like he assumes it will.

Why was it ok when he had people burned alive, but not when the Mad King did it?

Explain yourselves, Stannisfags

I mean, depending on your point of view all execution is equally arbitrary and cruel since the primary difference is how much a person suffers before you snuff him out, at which point he no longer gives a shit either way.

But from a personality standpoint when Aerys II did it generally did it because he was insane and had pyromaniac obsessions, while Stannis is....perfunctory about it. He does it because it has been proven through Melli's magic (and he DID require proof beforehand) that it helps....somehow. He's also fairly reluctant to do it unless they break the law somehow.
The downside being that Stannis is pretty goddamn rigid about the law in general so he ends up burning a whole lot of dudes....

what do you guys think is the best way to run a game? all players belong to the same house? also everyone family members or one of them can be maester, or unrelated hedge knight etc.

should the lord of the house be npc or player?

Both Aerys and Stannis are/would be bad kings.

Stannis would be a better king than Aerys thanks to him not being insane and burning people thinking that if he burned enough of the poor fuckers he'll turn into a dragon.

Aerys was insane, but the worst thing was that he was damn easy to be played for a fool.

Duskendale happened because Lord Darklyn refused to pay his tax and invited Aerys to an obvious trap, a trap Aerys' Hand saw comming a mile ahead. When he warned Aerys not to go, the fucker decided to go with a token force instead of sending his whole army as his Hand decided to do.

Back then Tywin still liked Aerys and trully wanted to do good by him, but the growing resentment of Aerys made the thing complicated.

Now, if a Duskendale happened under Stannis' reign, you bet your ass he'd put the whole House to the torch. Nobody would think about pulling the same shit and he'll be hated for the thing but the King's Law would have been kept, and that's all Stannis want in the end.

Aerys.
>pay debnt.
>No. Why don't you step into my office so we can discuss it?
>Lol, ok. What could possibly go wrong?

Stannis.
>Pay debnt.
>No. Why don't you step..
>Fuck you, R'hllor hungers.

>what do you guys think is the best way to run a game?
As in a real group and not anons on an 'strayan shitposting board?

A real group could play more than 1 House, maybe, there's enough role to fill should they want to play a maester, a knight or whatever.

An anonymous group his better playing as one character belonging to one House. Be it a knight or the lord or even a peasant.