Connected to Warezhost...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files:
>NeoNET_Datajack_Line_2077.pdf
>Inside_Your_Body.trid
>Hi_Everybody.sklchp
>Mender_Endosont_Implant_Procedure.sim

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 3435 (73% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled "Want a kidney?"
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Chica_Repair_procedures.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve your ammo
>And never, ever operate on a dragon

Why doesn't everyone in the Sixth World have a skilljack? They're light on essence, and though they are costly in nuyen the rewards are well worth it. There are so many situations where having a reasonable amount of knowledge (rating 3) would be incredibly useful for the average person. Flip in a chef chip when you want to cook at home, a handyman chip whenever something is wrong with your house to at least diagnose the problem (and probably fix it), various programs at work to help you with anything you don't already know (like using a certain program as a cubicleserf, or using a certain tool if you're more blue collar), switching linguasofts to communicate with people around the world, knowsofts loaded with company procedure and policies...

The benefits, both personal and professional, are huge. With a trode net, you don't need a datajack, but you'd imagine that corps and governments would be lining up their employees and jamming skilljacks into every skull.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/267750/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why doesn't everyone in the Sixth World have a skilljack?
>costly in nuyen

You pretty much answered your own question there. There's a lot of people who can't scrape together enough cash to get a skilljack.

Good question.
I guess there are still people that are squeamish about invasive surgery. It's one thing to get cyber eyes. I mean, everyone and their dog has cyber eyes.

But Skilljack requires skillwires for active skills. Also, it must be very disorientating to know/speak/do something you know you cannot do, but are still doing. Like watching your body from the outside.

But you don't need the skillwires. Just the knowledge would be a big help in almost any situation.

People can't afford it, maybe, but it's a great investment for a company- instead of spending money to train someone in one skill, you spend money and they are effectively trained in a thousand skills, including training in things that you don't know they will need yet.

For a corp that wants to hold someone for their entire working life and wring every bit of productivity out of them, it's a sensible plan.

>skillwires for active skills

Yeah but you know employees would be using on their off hours as well, which adds extra wear and tear to the system. Plus you'll have people up in arms about companies making cyborg zombies and blah blah blah. At the end of the day, it's too much of a hassle for too little benefit; not to mention the amount of money they'd need to put into it in the 1st place.

I got that. I'm saying that skillwires are unnecessary, because active skills are unnecessary. And the skilljack alone is no more invasive than cybereyes or a datajack, both of which are common.

You don't need a skillwires system for knowsofts or linguasofts though, just a datajack. Skillwires are for semi-skilled wageslaves on the production line.

Skillwires for the most part tend to be pretty low level, and pretty useless for most non-working class people.

Skilljack=/=skillwires, and datajack =/= skilljack.

Right, right, the tech regressed back to 3rd ed.

Except knowsofts and skillwires don't really intergrate with your existing knowledge. You'll never get any better than the electronics, and you won't use the knowledge as effectively as someone that learned the skill legitimately.

They have their places, but they're not a standard thing for a reason.

With the evolution in drone pilot programs, a drone is even cheaper than implanting a random idiot with a skilljack + skillwire combo.

How much collateral damage has your group (or if you're a gm) players caused in terms of civillian casualties.

Biggest thing we ever did, in terms of collateral damage, was this one time I cast invisibility on a border guard and used mind control magic to make him cross the road. There was a huge pileup and also we had to flee the country we had just entered.
I'm hoping to up the ante with my next character, whose highest skills are demolitions and exotic weapon (flamethrower)

Why would you have done that? It's a pretty hefty price to pay for shits and giggles.

So my friend, our rigger, racked up a total of 5,622 kills by, in order.

>Hacking the sentry guns of a building to kill everybody but us, killing all 500 workers in the facility.

>Accidentally unleashing an AI to the internet so that it could answer any questions it had, who then fried 170+ people.

>Grand finale; in an underground airtight facility, he depressurized literally every room but ours and let a grand total of 5,000 some odd people experience explosive decompression.

I use chemical weapons and I still think he's a douche.

If we're talking 5th edition, he's right.

I just want to say as well that skilljack skills compared to natural skill, if I'm not mistaken, don't look realistic by which I mean when they perform the action it's kind of robotic.

Any one with a keen eye would be able to tell the difference. That and some would find it invasive and/or expensive.

You guys would make Kane proud. How high are you on the "Sixth World's Most Wanted" list?

I meant skillwires for active skills btw.

Us? Not at all. They wanted the people behind our masks, but they didn't have any names or faces to put behind it.

When it came to covering our trails, we pulled out all the friggin stops to make sure we could not get followed. No witnesses, no astral trails, if any of us got wounded we C-Squared everywhere near where he got shot. Bullets wiped clean, many times using different weapons that we'd ditch after a run.

We were dressed up in black on black Full Body Armor with no signature markings or anything. We used different code-names on each mission. Our van that we painted a different color with new plates after each run had a bug scanner and zapper (whatever it's called) inside of it. If we ever went loud we popped enough tear-gas and neuro-stun grenades that made any physical evidence be contaminated with chemicals.

We were like, the most black trench coat pink mohawk game ever. It was a fantastic campaign.

I want to make a face/social infiltrator based on Gully Foyle from The Stars My Destination. However, the party is mostly white hat, so I don't know if he'd be a great fit. Should I go for it?

>Hi_Everybody.sklchp

Hi doc Nick

In some cases, that's what reagents are for. In the one you're talking about, it's not really worth it (because the dice roll only applies to resisting dispellation), so you'd want to somehow scrounge up for Focused Concentration at a high rank, use the drug that makes the penalty -1 instead of -2, have other smaller, sustained spells in place to offset the penalty, or more than one of the above.

So, built a Aspected Magician with Move-by-Wire, Skilljack and a bit of Bio/Geneware for a bit less than 4 Essence points lost. While retaining MAG 1.
How high on the "Special Snowflake" Scale is this?

I don't think it's too high on the "special snowflake" scale (I've heard of enough burnouts that managed to retain enough mojo to eventually get a shadow back down the line that it doesn't ping too hard), but it is a bit of a waste of magic power.

Especially as you're going to be leaning on foci and reagents more than most.

He figured out who we were and demanded a comically large bribe to not go and call his boss or whatever. Like, I don't think I even had enough money to pay him kinda bribe.

Its a mid-term investment that might turn out viable.
Its a lot cheaper to buy low magic up again, compared to first raising it so high that it stays at 5+ after getting implants.

I just read the Shadowrun Lockdown supplement, because the idea of playing in a quarentined city seemed interesting, but holy fucking shit is that book terrible. Beyond merely editting problems like other shadowrun 5e books, lockdown entire concept is absolutely fucking retarded. I know shadowrun has a huge boner for writing books from an in-game perspective, but making a setting book COMPLETELY in-character makes it utterly worthless. I mean seriously, who the fuck thought that a timeline should be written like fucking blog entries.

It's like they wrote the book without realizing that some people might actually want to PLAY in the setting. The small section of rules at the end feels like it was a small concession that they were forced to include.

It's also fragile (not as much as the one Yekka was worried about), because dipping down into another whole bit of essence is going to cascade down once you've got more than two initiations in you. (Also remember that you need to add 13+ karma to the cost of even point of magic past 2. Makes it more expensive, and to get to the mid-initiations you'll need 'em.)

Recently they've fired a rocket at a small coffin motel only to make another hole in the wall 'cause "the doors will surely be guarded". During the last session, rigger managed to reconnect to his believed-to-be-lost drone, decided that it's placed in a trunk of the car, and opened fire from its armaments so as to blow a way out. This ended poorly for the people just moving by the car stationed in downtown area.

Yousei here, on top of the moral quandries, the extra money is always nice. Rigging=high operating cost, don't ya know.

Fuck off, metasapient Pest

All Pixies should be nailed to a board, Alamos did nothing wrong.

Except lose.

My team wasn't retarded, so none.

>have other smaller, sustained spells in place to offset the penalty

How would that work? The sustained spell penalty is -2 dice per spell, surely there aren't enough buffs in the world to counteract that, are there?

Humanis or go home!

Well, assuming that you're not maxed out on Agi, as long as you have a Force 4 Agi in place (and the focus, quality or item, for it), then you can get a net +2 on a good roll.

Someone called?

Yes. We need some damn pro human action in this place

1.5 Million or so when they dropped a couple fuel air bombs on Harare.

How do all the various racial hate groups feel about AIs?

>fuel air bombs
Those are memes. The only thing they're good for is destroying infrastructure.

>some people might actually want to PLAY in the setting
Lucky you, because there's an entire video game where you can do just that!

store.steampowered.com/app/267750/

pls no kill

Infrastructure is a good way to rack up 1.5 Mil of nuyen in collateral damage.

Have you guys ever had a johnson who desired collateral damage, so much so that he gave you a fraction of however much you exploded?

I'm thinking brigador or blast corps here.

omae you just made an enemy for life

>Saints Row fence destruction missions intensify

Man, don't be like that! I'm just a fellow shadowstepper tryin to make some neden, know what I mean, chipper?

>in terms of civillian casualties.
>1.5 Million
That's not what you said.

I missed the bit in the original post replied to about civilian casualties.

Still, if you had a sufficiently packed apartment building or two....

Or if you used the right fuel.
Like that mercury based shit that was discontinued because it was so toxic it was killing chemists through maximum level protective gear.

A Minuteman III's warhead detonating in the middle of Tokyo wouldn't even kill 1.5 million. I doubt a bombing run with memebombs would produce that effect either.

pic related?

I don't remember the formula, I just remember chemistry class horror stories if the shit fucking SOAKING THROUGH maximum class protective shit, getting into their skin, and rapidly melting their innards.

Yeah, but in settings like SR, people tend to either be sardined up Tokyo-like in massive blighted sprawls, or packed in such that they dream of that Tokyo spaciousness.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury which is >Dimethylmercury passes through latex, PVC, butyl, and neoprene within seconds, and is very quickly absorbed through the skin. Due >to its chemical nature, it carries with it a high aptitude for its effortless ability to pass through the same safety equipment and barriers >that prevent lab accidents such as direct bodily contact (skin; eyes; oral) that have proved to be adequate protection for a majority of >laboratory chemical substances.

>Therefore, due to its high efficiency in penetrating skin barriers, the most common gloves used in a majority of laboratories and/or >clinical settings do not provide adequate protection from dimethylmercury. It's widely understood and accepted that the only safe >precaution is to handle dimethylmercury while wearing highly resistant laminated gloves; adding long-cuffed neoprene or other >heavy-duty gloves over the first pair. In addition, the consistent use of a long face shield and working under a fume hood should be >observed.

that sounds about right.
I imagine they came up with some new, higher class shit once they discovered their current highest class shit wasn't high class enough.

Thankfully, NASA decided against using this shit, since it would literally have captain planet villain tier effects.

Two drops in Tokyo just barely makes the 1.5 megadeath mark. And that's with 350kt nuclear weapons. I don't care how much more packed it is in Shadowrun, you really are not getting 1.5 megadeaths out of a bombing raid using ordnance that was made to destroy airfields.

I dunno, arcologies are like, a thing.

How big of a run can runners have as their own private motivation?
Can you have that reflected mechanically?
Say my runner wanted to steal a masterpiece-level painting for personal sentimental reasons from a fairly high up collector.
Would there be any good mechanical representation of that, or would I just be trying to convince people to go along with it?

You can do whatever you want. You can try assassinating Lofwyr, no worries. You just may not succeed.
You just convince them, pay them, whatever.

>How big of a run can runners have as their own private motivation?
As big as their ambitions are.
How big of a run they can PULL OFF on their own depends entirely on how many resources they have on hand via owed favors, friendships, blackmail, nuyen, etc.

You realize that through ALL the strategic bombings in WW2, only 464,424 civilians were killed? Those weren't civilian targets I know, but six years of constant bombing, and it's only 0.5 megadeaths. You are failing to realize how absurd 1.5 megadeaths is, user.

I am just assuming HIGH TIER population density.
especially considering most of the world is overrun with bullshit.

Okay, lets say the runners are working for the mob, and are sent to hijack a ship carrying a cargo of weapons to supply some other gang for their gang wars.

In case my runners decide to steal a little bit of the cargo for themselves and sell them later, how much would a container load of weapons go for? One of the runners has a really high level contact in the black market so he might be able to sell them trough his contact.

Your average city in Shadowrun is liable to be Tokyo levels of population density. Tokyo, Los Angeles, etc, are likely a bit more populated than that.

As I said before, it takes two nuclear strikes on Tokyo, the world's most densely populated city at the moment, to get 1.5 megadeaths. Mind you, that's an estimate, but you know.

Reportadly, the world's largest Fuel-Air-Bomb is 45t. So, just going off this vague software, which includes radiological effects from Nuclear weapons, so the actual number is viable to be lower, 28 FAB detonations in Tokyo doesn't even hit 0.1 megadeaths.

Also, it states in Shadowrun that a lot of Arcologies are shielded against nuclear weapons about as well as Cheyenne mountain is, so I doubt they'd be too effected.

First of all: how many containers full of weapons are there?
Second: How many and what weapons are in the container?
Third: How saturated is the market for weapons once you take out the usual buyers (the gang) from the demand

wait, if arcologies are that shielded, then what's the point of all the "oh, nukes don't work any more" stuff?

there are 10 containers in the ship. I'm assuming the runners can only get one for themselves.
>Second: How many and what weapons are in the container?
should be AK-98s with ammo, but I have no idea how many weapons would be inside one of those containers, to be honest.
>Third: How saturated is the market for weapons once you take out the usual buyers (the gang) from the demand
there's a gang war going on, chicago is under quarantine so lots of people are trying to smuggle weapons there, and due to rise in gang violence spilling into the rich sectors of the city lone star is cracking down on all criminal enterprises. So I'd assume high demand for weapons.

Because people still live outside Arcologies. In fact, most people are outside of them.

Also, I went on this rant before, but you don't use nuclear weapons to kill people, you use nuclear weapons to kill command structure and industry. Maybe infrastructure too if you're an ass. Just because everyone is living in the great pyramid of Seattle doesn't mean that a nuclear strike on it wouldn't absolutely cripple its economy, and even possibly cause the entire area to collapse in to anarchy.

Also, I'd wager a 1mt-ish ground burst against an arcology would be enough to damage it thoroughly, as it would Cheyenne mountain.

But uh, I doubt Shadowrun designers knew anything about nuclear weapons aside from 50's propaganda, so they probably made them not work because they think a single ICBM's warhead will kill EVERYONE in a bazillion mile radius.

>should be AK-98s with ammo, but I have no idea how many weapons would be inside one of those containers, to be honest.

If they're packed in boxes and then stacked in the shipping container, I'd say at least 250 (5 rows of 5 boxes, stacked 10 high).

going off this chummer's number of 250 guns I'd say
1250 nY * 1.20 (demand) *0.80 (cause they're stolen) *250 = 300000 nY

perfect. 300000 nuyen seems about right. Dividing it by the 6 runners in the party that's what, 50k each which isn't that outrageous of a payday.

Thanks for helping me figure it out chummers!

That's what the black market dealer might get for it.

So they buy it for less.

And then the corps are on to you, cause you have 250 marked and chipped guns in your posession

>marked
the guns are already black market guns though
like the ship is explicitly bringing illegal weapons to the mafia.

though you're right that 300k is what the black market dealer would get for it, so they should get less. Any idea how much less?

>cause you have 250 marked and chipped guns in your possession
that's what the 0,8 is for, the extra costs of cleaning the guns

What is the profit margin of the dealer?

Hmm, Depends on how well the dealer and the runner know each other, and how mcuh they are willing to do for each other. Anything from 75% to 30%, I guess?

>Depends on how well the dealer and the runner know each other
Well, the runner and the dealer are like BFFs "would take bullet for". In game terms 6 loyalty.

DAmn, then im sure the dealer would give them a great deal. Anything between 35% and 5% then?

My players hit a KE convoy of two APCs and a freight hauler on a central downtown seattle overpass by drawing out the halloweeners, troll killahs and dissassemblers for a threeway mashup on a big public square just near the offramp. This was done at rush hour.

As the convoy stopped to plan their way around the commotion the mage dropped a force 10+ (may have been 14) beast spirit on the square and let it ramoage up the sliproad to the KE kids while the rest of the crew rolled up from behind.

A shootout later the hacker and a convoy merc hacker was throwing (occupied) cars at each other while the demo man tried to board the target teuck as it got rolling again. So far so standard right?

Well, once the demo man got hold of the target truck he tried to throw off pursuit by setting off gis VBIED of a car, which collapsed a whole segment of the overpass. The collapse also dragged himdown with it, landing the hauler and a couple of hundred tons of concrete on some off side shopping promenade.

In lives the whole ordeal only claimed some 40 or so people and wounded many more. Much thanks to gridlink removing most civilian vehicles from the dangerzone. But in money terms the target (which they lost) was worth around 3 mil nuyen and i assume cutting one way of downtown seattles main traffic artery would be a few million more, the rest is change.

Nukes aren't as reliable anymore as they used to be, but they are not a non-factor. They are still a big and nasty threat. Also nobody knows for sure why they currently are less dangerous. This could change anytime in the future too. Also, when a Megacorp builds an arcology they think BIGTIME and longterm. So spending another 2 or 3 million nuyen to get blast shiedling isn't a big increase of the overall budget.

Furthermore, dirty bombs still work fine. Winternight also proved that nukes are still top-tier threats. The nukes merely lost their 100% chance to successfully explode.

Also, the megas could have prepared their arcologies for apocalypse level events and postapocalyptic life. So when the world nukes itself into oblivion in some kind of mass-nuke exchange, the upper crust of the megacorps has a viable longterm survival option.

Pictured is a chinese sprawl.

I'd say 25% seems about right

So we have 300000 * 0.75 for a payout to the runners then?

300K * 0.75 = 225000

225000 / 6 = 37500 nuyen per runner.

I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the help guys! Here's a waifu as reward

375000 nuyen sounds like a very large pay day...

Is that correct?

37.5k is definitely above average at my table.

It's a bit of a windfall, sure but remember the runners would actually have find a way to acquire a whole container of guns. That requires some effort.

I wanted to know in case my runners do think of some way to do that. They might just steal the guns and give them all to their employees and that's that, no extra cash, but no need to worry about an entire container.

They levelled Harare. Using fuel-air and arty back up.

Besides, it was a meme campaign

>it was a meme campaign
Well you should have just said that. That makes it make much more sense.

I wasn't the user you were arguing with, I'm the guy who originally made that post.

But yeah, it was a campaign centered around retaking ZImbabwe and making it Rhodesia

ONE OF MY PLAYERS JUST SUMMONED A FORCE 12 GUARDIAN SPIRIT AND FUCKING BOUND IT.

He's got 3 services with the thing and plans on attempting to rebind it once he wakes up after his 13 day coma. It has a 26 dice pool for blades. He's playing a Norse tradition, so I figured it'd be a viking warrior, but he had it essentially become a fucking fire giant. Pic related is now what I'm having to use as its character art.

What do I do now, Veeky Forums? Help me.

>FORCE 12 GUARDIAN SPIRIT
>guardian
oh lol that's like one of the best spirits

I hope he gave him a weapon skill as one of the optional powers. Time to have every facility guarded by corp sec with ares thunderstruck gauss rifles and mages specialized in banishing

I'd offer advice, but I cant stop smiling. This is why technos need pain editors.

>ZImbabwe

>norse tradition
>force 12
>guardian spirit

dayum son, you better start looking up metal music mang

Well... I assume that such a powerfull spirit does not like to be bound. Maybe it wants some revenge. Maybe enough that it hires some runners to take care of that binding asshole when it's free

>Maybe enough that it hires some runners to take care of that binding asshole when it's free
I wouldn't think spirits would be that...indirect. Why not just manifest in his shitty Barrens neighborhood in the dead of night and level the building?

Is there anything stopping you from taking 10 fingertip compartments and putting a monofilament whip in each one? Asking for a friend...