Godbound

Second GodBound thread go! Godbound is an OSR (Old School Renaissance) game where you play heroes with the power of gods (yes, its very much like that 'other' game in concept) in a broken world.

The game is available for free in PDF with a paid version which has optional content.

So, anyone here planning to run Godbound?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/EtchedChampion_MM2_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/WP_WWK2_wcgw4c3e0c_1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper1280x960_M15_Art-3_Stella.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_JOU_03_Daarken_1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_JOU_02_Daarken_1280x960_0.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/AkroanSkyguard_BNG_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_JOU_05_Barger_1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_02_Barger1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/EpharaGodofthePolis_BNG_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Aurelias_Fury_GTC_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/131485a.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/131547a.jpg
sendspace.com/file/046n0z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sell me on it.

Read it for yourself! Althought, the setting has humans deciding that if they can't agree on whose ideology is true/correct they will have to ask God what he think. They INVADED HEAVEN and WRECKED ITS SHIT to reach God only to find an empty throne. So the humans LOOTED THE ENGINES WHICH POWER THE UNIVERSE to FORGE MECHA-GODS.

A more shit happen, the world gets broken, the mecha-gods break down and now humans get god-like powers in a broken world.

So Exalted having sloppy makeouts with Kill Six-Billion Demons? I can dig that. Might give it a look.

doing the character creation for a campaign at the weekend. I'm liking the look of it from my reading and can't wait to see how the game-specific stuff will work out and make it different from other OSR's

Here is a current draft for an expanded/altered version of the setting's mythology which tries to reconcile various 'forms' of mythology rolled into one while not contradicting the core book or at least as little as possible:

The One is not the creator of the entirety of existence, althought He (we'll use He for simplicity) certainly was the architect of the world which was sundered. In ancient times, before all know history, he was something akin to a Godbound in an era of great cosmic turmoil. It was him who helped return a chaotic world to order. It was Him who ultimately sat at the peak of cosmic power in Heaven, with legions of Celestials (the rename Angels, since Angels is only used by monotheistic faith in-setting) and spirits. It was Him who ultimately claimed mastery of all known Words and even some more unknown ones.

At first God/The One oversaw the construction of a new existence out of the chaos and darkness of the Uncreated Nights. He drafted up the first blueprints of the new world. It is not known how many 'draft' of the world the One made nor is it known how many incarnations of a completed world he made. However, the One was once mortal and quickly grew weary of having to orchestrate the universe. God retreated to his throne-room and left the early Archangels to run a few cycles of the universe and fight against the horrors of the Uncreated Night (as well as horrors born from failed cycles of existence).

The incarnation of the world that lead into the Godbound setting proper was a prosperous one in spite of its chaotic history, in part because it was a world heavily dominated by human will, ambition and drive with all the good and bad this ultimate bring. When humans stormed Heaven and reached the throne room, they opened doors generations of angels had never opened and there they found an empty throne. God had had left long ago, unable to resolve all sort of conundrum about the nature of existence. Where He went is a mystery.

The Angels/Celestials are certainly 'gods' to an extent (created by the One rather than the human Made Gods) but how much they were recognized as such by humans depended heavily on their faith (or lack thereof). Long ago the One forged them and imbued them with great powers. Generations of angels have helped shape, destroy and reshape the various incarnations of the World. Yet in the modern age, few if any angel had seen God. They essentially ruled in His place, going off the decrees He made. No angel could explain where these decree came from, they just 'appeared' out of nowhere. To various cultures, they are the Gods humans can grasp and appeal to, Gods of Fire, Thunder, Fertility and War. Monotheist faiths on the other hand see them not as Gods but merely agents of a creator, creator god. Both are right, in a sense.

On the Celestial/Angels:
Giant glowing winged humanoids is just one form they take. In fact, grasping the 'true form' of a Celestial is quite hard and can be hard on the mind of mortals or a young Godbound. What they appear as is somewhat filtered through a cultural lense and the pre-conception of what someone imagine an angel or god to be like. A nordic man from barbarian tribes with a warrior culture will see a tall, muscular man with a flowing glowing beard and a halo of thunder for example. An animist from a wooden tribe will see some tall totem-man covered in imagery of what it embodies, both concrete and abstract. A monotheist will see a classic angel. And so on and so forth.

Yes, basically this is an excuse to mash back any ancient culture a player may want to bring in by recasting the angels as the Norse and Hindu gods alongside the PC as well as NPC creatures like the Parasite Gods.

It also make the One God the Demiurge with a twist: the twist being that he is not evil and simply ultimately left because he couldn't wrap his head around all the weird shit being God with a capital G implies.

I'd really like to play session of this, see how it goes.

Furthermore: My idea in fleshing out the Former Empires (those great superpowers who stormed Heaven and built the Made Gods is to approach it like a huge, magitek version of of a game of Civilization and its spinoffs (Alpha Centauri and Beyond Earth). So you'd have stuff like people with a super strong warrior ethos and the belief in absolute strength (probably japanese, roman or norse-ish...or all the same time!), the super scientific society whose Made Gods are more like giant quantum god-computers trying to crack the 'code' of reality and thus override the control of reality people think the Empty Throne, the mandatory not!Soviet and so on and so forth. Of course they all go kaboom or collapse eventually but I think it would be a good thematic in the history of that era and the Made Gods.

A Possible Re-Interpretation of Angels:
Its clear that in Godbound, the Angels are for the most part not 'good' or at least not on the side of humanity which they rightfully blame for fucking everything up. Considering the Angels now mostly dwell in Hell and seek to damn humans we can clearly see that the game is using the whole angle of 'Fallen Angels are demons'. So does that mean they should now be red, have horns and bat wings? Absolutely not, they remain ANGELS after all. I think the GM description of the Angels opposed to humanity should be one which evoke an equal mixture of awe and sheer terror. Whereas the angels described in clearly evoke the imagery of divine awe these Angels should evoke that of divine WRATH. Think deities whose depiction scare the ever living piss out of people (or are meant to). Deities like Kali. Their appearance should be terrifying: flaming swords from which erupt screams of terror or perhaps frantic chanting to appease a now non-existent god.Things like:
-A gaze of fire and madness, a halo which looks like a scorching, dying red star.
-Skin of perfect alabaster, too angular and too well-cut to look remotely human.
-War Angels with glistening metallic plates of bronze with red metallic filigree.
-Golden suit of armor with midnight blue flame erupting between the joints and a faceless head where blazing contelattion burn.
-Wings of metal with impossibly sharp feathers of steel and iron, glowing with a pulsing orange inner light.
The idea is that it should be scary (at least to mortals), but still awe-inspiring. It should never go into the realm of the grotesque, that's not what the Angels are for. No horns, no spikes, no tentacles no screaming skulls. Anyway that's just how I'd describe the angels.

How bound is Godbound to its setting (Ohohoho) ? Could it be retextured for other OSR style games set in weird post high-fantasy settings?

I'd say its rather setting agnostic but using its rules mean you expect a game where the PC are god-like. That's why people are already using it for Exalted.

If you want a 'mortal' game set in the Godbound universe, where people are more like typical D&D adventurer you could use another OSR game.

Like other user said, but remember that it's OSR, so you could easily hack it.

Also, the deluxe version has rules for leveled mortals, both "common" and "heroic".

It has rules for Mortals.

Oh right! Crap I forgot about those. My bad.

I ran a small adventure in the game to introduce the players to the group and they had a blast with it. Battling Sea Leviathans and becoming immediately involved in the highest level of local politics, the Dominion and Influence system was a really cool way to affect the world and really sell the divine power deal

I like these ideas.

Thanks. Oh and nice pic, remind me of an Evangelion angel, where is it from?

Just an artist on Deviantart. I pretty sure it was Evangelion-inspired.

How would you make EMIYA? UBW, Projection and sword rain.

Adding more to what I previously wrote:
-The Godbound book mention, of the nonhuman-looking angels, that "Even the inhuman and bestial ones have an alien beauty to them that speaks of their harmony with creation’s first intent." That mean you will never see an angel which looks lopsided, deformed or assymetrical. However since it says 'alien beauty' we can easily allow ourselves to go nuts. Picture something weird or at the very least unusual. Something like those rare one-in-a-million-chances photo where some optical illusion mess with the environment to create something spectaculare. THAT is what a truly-alien Angel should evoke mixed with a healthy dose of 'OH GOD MY EYES'.
-What that Angel's Word(s) is/are should be evoked in their appearance, reflecting their nature and former purpose. Sure the previous post mentionned the usual light and fire (a strong thematic for Angels, indeed) stuff but what about an Angel of Knowledge? Well, clearly they got immense floating ribbons and scrolls where each letter is a primordial symbol of creation, each glowing with the light of a star.
-Beside the floating wheels and eyes on fire, non-humanoid could have the heads of animals. There is a precedent, after all, Cherubim were depicted as having four faces one of which is a lion. Of course that's simple and basic so go look at some really trippy art for inspiration. Yes, even H.R. Giger is a good source of inspiration as is Magic: The Gathering art.

Godbound is a mechanically solid game. It is astounding that a game patterned off Exalted and based on d20 manages to have some of the most sensibly-balanced mechanics I have ever seen. I love how the Fray die works, the distinction between lesser and worthy opponents, and the beauty that is the Effort resource management subsystem. Kevin Crawford is a rules-savvy genius.

Just about the only complaints I can file are that Strength is useless as a statistic without the Might gift and that some of the themed godbound (i.e. "Exalted types") are of slightly dubious balance, and even then, those are minor concerns.

I have already found myself in a Godbound game, although it takes place in a much more generic and non-Creation/Arcem-like setting wherein we are simply minor gods in an otherwise generic high fantasy setting. I will be playing a fox-turned-minor god of the Words of Artifice, Knowledge, and Wealth.

I particularly like the combo I have going for myself with the Ten Thousand Tools lesser gift, the Perpetual Perfection greater gift, and the Forever Sufficient greater gift. I always have on hand the materials necessary to craft any conceivable mundane object, I can create any portable object in the blink of an eye or forge a larger item with the speed of a thousand laborers per character level, and everything I craft is completely flawless and immune to wear. The weapons I craft are considered magical, have a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls (for non-Godbound), and can harm supernatural creatures; and the armor I craft is also magical, so it can be regalia armor. In other words, I can spend an afternoon to outfit an entire nation with +1 weapons and armor that takes the form of "mere thimble-sized vials of ever-replenished body paint that protects its bearer" or "bracers [that] spark with a crackling
blue shield to block incoming weapons."

By level 2, I can take the Omniscient Scholar greater gift and use the knowledge to craft even higher-tech items.

Some example of good art for angels, all from MTG. These are at a varying degree of weird, ranging from fairly normal to a bit more 'wtf is that':
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/EtchedChampion_MM2_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/WP_WWK2_wcgw4c3e0c_1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper1280x960_M15_Art-3_Stella.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_JOU_03_Daarken_1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_JOU_02_Daarken_1280x960_0.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/AkroanSkyguard_BNG_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_JOU_05_Barger_1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Wallpaper_02_Barger1280x960.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/EpharaGodofthePolis_BNG_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg (Yes I love Thero gods and their design, okay?!)
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/Aurelias_Fury_GTC_1280x960_Wallpaper.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/131485a.jpg
magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/wallpaper/131547a.jpg

Here is the backstory I was to use for a fox-turned-foxboy-Godbound. The sidebar in page 14 explicitly allows players to play "liches, dragons, or the tremendously gifted heroes, of transhuman realms," so a fox hardly seemed out-of-place.

A quarter-mile away from the docks of a certain port capital, there lies a small island named Île à Fée. 'Twas enchanted by the fae years ago to serve as their refuge. Though the Fair Folk have since abandoned it, their curse upon the island lingers; any sapient mortal who remains in the sylvan island for more than three hours and three minutes shall have their bare body swallowed by the earth.

There was a young, silver-furred fox who lived within the island's old growth forest. He was the smartest and sharpest of all the beasts there. The fox always had a cunning plan with which to earn food for the day without becoming a meal himself. He was a recluse even by vulpine standards and kept a wide berth from his fellow foxes, let alone the other animals, yet he had the oddest tendency to leave food out for others that they might keep themselves fed.

One day, as the fox prowled the grassy shore, he stumbled upon a sight even his wits could not process. The silver fox took stock of the enspelled finery and jewelry of an elven noblewoman, a woodsman's axe, a collection of evenly-cut logs all stained with tears, and a tablet of light wood upon which was burned a collection of mystifying illustrations. The fox knew of the two-legs' remnants and tools that would crop up on the island for time to time... but the tablet was an enigma.

By the time the winds were right, all was ready. Upon the completed raft were the elven noblewoman's belongings and several days' worth of meats and fruits. With the tip of his snout, the fox pushed the raft into the shallows and let the leaf-wrought, triangular sail catch the constant winds. It was by this point that the silver fox did not know precisely why he was doing this. Curiosity, perhaps? An assessment of the opportunities that lay beyond the island? Either way, off he sailed.

It was as the sea-witches had prognosticated. On a night illumined by the waning gibbous moon, a vessel bearing no creature but silver soft as silk would arrive in port, and from the argentum shall arise more prosperity than is imaginable. The young fox unloaded his paraphernalia onto the pier with snout and jaws, then padded onto the dock himself. To his great surprise, what touched the ground were not bestial paws, but humanoid feet. And all the fur left was 'pon his ears and tail.

tl;dr = Fox turned Godbound as a result of a remarkable feat of intelligence and craftsmanship for an animal. He manifested the Artifice and Knowledge Words as part of such a feat. Due to the manner in which he left out food for his fellow animals and just so happened to fortuitously stumble across half the materials he needed for a raft, he has the Wealth Word as well. He lacks Beasts due to having been rather asocial with respect to other animals.

Post potential demigods.

Sure.

>> Bound to the Beasts Word.

So we've had Angels and their style discussed in length but what's the 'style' or theme Parasite Gods should have? If Awe and Fear are the key words for the Angels what should it be for the parasite gods? I'm trying to think of some design element which emphasize their wrongness but in a way that isn't Lovecraftian (that's more of an Uncreated thing).

Maybe they tend toward being warped and in some way suggesting how they are 'wrong' and pretenders always hungry for more, with ribbons of divine essence and flares of power erupting from their garish bodies, with animal heads, brightly colored skin and other marks which mark them as unnatural?

I like that idea. Make them like Hindu Rakshasa crossed with Infernal Exalts. Warped parodies of divinity, grand in their own alien way.

Or Asuras. They both fit the idea imo.

I think that Parasite Gods should always be somehow incomplete, like something is missing, to reflect their flawed divinity. How blatant or subtle the missing element is could vary from one to another.

Hm, this is an interesting thematic especially if the missing piece is allegorical or something.

>Read it for yourself!

Post a PDF or mediafire and we will

Here is Godbound: Deluxe Edition:

sendspace.com/file/046n0z

Or something like Emperor Ganishka from Berserk.

Dude, its free on DrivethruRPG.

I have the image of a Parasite God with the Wealth word, who has all the gold his nation needs and more, but in his paranoia, refuses to allow traders within his borders. He sits among his heaps of useless wealth while he and his people starve. Even though he can create more wealth as needed, he clings jealously too it, as it's the only thing that satiates the gnawing feeling of "Something Missing" within him.

That's pretty cool and perfectly in theme with the game and its concepts.

Thanks!

Thanks very much. Drivethru needs an account and log in just to download free files.

This character of mine will be using the Ten Thousand Tools lesser gift and the Forever Sufficient greater gift to craft fragmentation bombs in the blink of an eye and then hurl them towards enemies.

However, Godbound has no rules for such explosive weaponry.

What rules should be used for these? Since Godbound refers the reader to other OSR products as needed, should a suitable OD&D 1e rule for explosives be used?

That remind me I: I'm not super familiar with OSR products. What are the good ones to have for Godbound?

I would not know at all due to my lack of familiarity with OSR.

None. You don't need any other OSR products.

It uses OSR mechanics, but it's a standalone game and frankly, not all that compatible with other games without some reworking. Crawford just likes using the basic mechanics of Basic D&D for his stuff. It tends to work pretty well.

Also, good lord, how does he keep releasing kickstarter stuff before the deadline? Man's a legend. And he makes a bunch of art free for other creators to use!

>None. You don't need any other OSR products.
>It uses OSR mechanics, but it's a standalone game and frankly
Dude I know its standalone, I was just askin for those products which would be worthwhile to have to add to the game with some tweaking.

>Also, good lord, how does he keep releasing kickstarter stuff before the deadline? Man's a legend. And he makes a bunch of art free for other creators to use!
Um he's...not Morke and Holden and presumably does not waste his time thought-policing RPG.net and whining about politics?

There are ten listed Throne-level invocations, all of which are of acceptable levels of power... except for one anomalous standout.

>Auspice of the Divine King

>The aura of universal kingship clings to the theurge who practices this rite. All lesser foes in their presence will instinctively defer to the caster as their rightful ruler and will obey in any way they might normally obey a king. Worthy foes are allowed a Spirit saving throw to resist, one which may be repeated after each offensive or unnatural order the caster may give them.

>The invocation lasts for as long as the caster wishes to maintain it, and those bewitched by it will remain loyal servants even after they leave the adept’s presence. Dispelling effects can free individual subjects, but to end the spell itself it must be dispelled from the person of the theurge who cast it. The caster does become exceptionally vulnerable to the affronts of rebellion, however; while the spell is in effect, any damage dice rolled against them automatically do maximum damage.

What is the balance point of this supposed to be? Does this not automatically invalidate any and all lesser foes, while forcing worthy foes to make saving throws or be taken out of the battle?

That seems far more powerful a benefit than the weakness could ever be. Immunity to such mind-affecting effects is limited mostly to Words, gifts, and the Rebel exemplar; undead have no listed immunity, for example.

Compare this to other Throne-level invocations: A Heart's Desire is a one-time effect with a major cost, Directed Convulsion of Law lasts only for an hour, the Grinning Teeth of God simply deals damage, etc. None of these are anywhere as strong as Auspice of the Divine King.

A party of level 1 Godbound will run into serious trouble if they are flanked by a pair of 48 HD Large mobs of elite warriors, but a Godbound with Auspice of the Divine King active forces both mobs to make saving throws (each succeeds only at a 14+) or bow down.

Our GM has been running them like Old Testament cosmic Horrors.

The best interpretation imo, these are beings beyond alien to what exists now, the mind struggles to make sense of what its eyes are seeing, and conjures forth strange and terrifying beings to represent the horrors of the truly divine.

The sidebar in the page immediately following Auspice of the Divine King states:
>Spells that duplicate the effect of gifts should be notably inferior in some way, either in not affecting worthy foes, affecting a much smaller area or number of targets, or lasting for a much shorter duration.

Command has this for a greater gift:
>Thrall-Making Shout, Action
>Commit Effort for the day and give a command. If directed at a group, all lesser foes up to a Vast Mob in number instantly obey anything short of a suicidal order or a command not to defend themselves from obvious peril, provided they are not already engaged in combat against the Godbound. Obedience to this single order lasts for the scene. If directed at a single target not already fighting the Godbound, anything can be demanded of them until the Godbound releases them. Worthy foes get a Spirit saving throw to resist the control.

Passion has this as a greater gift:
>A Heart like Clay, Action
>Commit Effort for the scene to completely control a subject's emotions, dictating all they feel and their emotional attitudes toward any persons or subjects of your choice. Lesser foes are utterly helpless against this shaping and can be driven to wholly uncharacteristic extremes by it. Worthy foes can only be molded within the limits of their own usual emotional range and can save versus Spirit to resist the shaping. The emotions persist despite all adversities until the Godbound releases the subject.

These are greater gifts that cost Effort, and both are markedly inferior to Auspice of the Divine King, which breaks the game's own guidelines.

So, uh, Basic D&D is a very low power sort of game. How does Godbound handle being a demigod on a 3-18 stat spread?

Basically: Stats don't matter as much, most of what you do, is based on gifts, which are similar to spells, you pick and choose what gifts are most applicable to your character, based on what words (Sections of Gifts) are available to you.

Mortals generally have 1 hit point, and can't really hurt you except in groups, whenever you attack, you roll 1d8, if the die comes up 2-5, you kill one guy, if they come up 6-8, you kill 2 guys.

Standard damage also does the same, but you add your stat bonus

Stat bonuses are scaled differently, 8-12 are +0, 13-15 are+1, 16,17 are +2, 18 is +3, 19 is +4

Most words will automatically boost a related stat to 16, or to 18, if it's already 16 or 17, and you roll 4d6 and assign as chosen, so you can pretty easily cheese away all your poor rolls.

Skills don't exist, every stat has a save, which is 21-score, you need to roll this number or better to succeed on saving throws and checks that would usually go through skills.

Instead of skills, there are Facts, these are things about your character, Like: Was a Sailor, Knows a Certain school of Low Magic, has Fought Uncreated before.

Times when you would make a stat check, and one of your facts applies, add+4
When there are especially difficult circumstances to your action, -4
Usually the game avoids + or - 1,2, or 3, preferring to do things in 4s, idk why.

It seems to handle quite well.

I probably rambled a bit off topic, actually though, free on Drive thru RPG, and someone just posted the not-free version in this thread.

Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but it has some generally good advice for running sandbox esque games with high power levels, I'm planning a Rogue Trader game in the far future, and some of the advice in the book has given me some inspiration to that end.

Poorly. Once you've fired off your Effort for the day (starting with 2 at first level), you're just a regular dude for the most part.

Regular dude with the Fray Die and superior to all mortals that aren't Heroes.

Level 1 you have 2 Effort but with Constant Gifts being always active and not needing effort, Many gifts only require take Effort the duration the Gift is being used, in quite a few cases Effort will be Committed for a scene.

The cases where Effort is Committed for a day is usually in the case of some Greater Gifts, the most powerful abilities in a given Word, or with Miracles, which enable you to do pretty much ANYTHING you could imagine doing with your word.

As you level your Effort increases, You can buy further Effort increases (up to a maximum how many Words you have bound) for 1 Gift Point, and you can make Artifacts with their own Effort Pools.

>Descending armor class

I'll check it out: it's always nice to see people try new things with old systems.

I like Godbound and even backed it and I still don't know why Crawford kept descending AC in.

"For compatibility" apparently but like... there's already a mini-bestiary in the book. Are people really that obsessed with using OSR DnD monsters?
Even then he could have just said "convert AC from old shit by subtracting it from 20"

I have located rules for primitive grenades in Sine Nomine OSR games, in page 35 of the Stars Without Number core rulebook:

>Grenades are thrown explosive weaponry. Grenade users always roll to attack AC 9. On a miss, the grenade lands 1d10 meters away from the target in a random direction. Hit or miss, the grenade then explodes for 2d6 damage to all targets within 5 meters. Victims are allowed a Luck save for half damage. Targets take 1 less point of damage for each point of AC below 6.

In Stars Without Number, Dexterity modifier would have been added to the damage roll. This seems like it could be a somewhat useful tool for low/mid-level Godbound who wish to clear out groups of lesser foes or mobs.

These rules might need some modification in Godbound due to the way subtracting damage from such a thing would cripple it, however, and whether they round down or round up needs to be clarified.

How should they be converted?

>Emperor Ganishka
>that image

I don't recognize this. Last I knew, people were still wildly speculating about whether Ganishka is actually Skull Knight.
What chapter is that from?

The balancing factor for Auspice of the Divine King is the fact that you take maximum damage from everything while it's operating.

You can't just turn it off before a fight without losing control of everyone you bewitched. Given that major opponents roll their damage dice straight, this means you're taking punishment you really can't handle if you get into a serious fight with the spell up.

I know not about you, but taking maximized damage from all attacks is a small price to pay for being able to point at those 48 HD Large mobs of elite warriors, watch one or both of them roll 13 or below (not unlikely), and have them simply stand aside.

This does not cost any Effort.

By the time your level 1 Godbound encounters a lesser eldritch, a 45% chance of having that eldritch stand aside and go, "Actually, you are my rightful ruler," disproportionately outweighs the durability debuff that ensues if they make the saving throw. It is the difference between an automatically won battle with the bonus of you now having a follower, or a more difficult combat.

The action economy benefits of being able to have enemies sit out battles (because they consider you their ruler) vastly outweighs any maximized damage against you.

Major supernatural foes can burn Effort to autosave. Thus, a serious foe is never going to be subject to the spell until they're completely out of Effort, which is 4-5 rounds at a minimum. In the meanwhile, the theurge is Target #1, taking maximum damage from all hits, and eating 40 points of damage if the foe hits them with a Divine Wrath they can't dispel.

If somebody who burnt 5 of their 6 beginning gift points to be able to learn this spell runs into an army and wants them to back down, then yeah, it's a handy thing to have around the house. For that same price, however, you could pick up some Sword gifts and kill that army in four rounds, and still have utility left over against major foes. Sure, mindbending them makes them more useful in non-combat ways, but it's a tradeoff the player has to make.

Also: you can only have one incantation up at a time. So, if you want to use literally anything else now that something it doesn't work on is present, you have to let go of your grasp on those presumably now angry soldiers.

You are correct about this. The lesser eldritch, possessing 10+ HD, will be able to spend Effort to automatically succeed on the saving throw.

A trio of 6 HD uncreated shades, not so much, particularly since theurgic invocations are not gifts.

Thus, Auspice of the Divine King is primarily an early-game tool for forcing worthy foes who are not quite "powerful supernatural foes" to stand aside and accept you as ruler.

Where is the rule concerning having only one theurgic invocation active at a time? I can find no such rule.

You are correct about this. The lesser eldritch, possessing 10+ HD, will be able to spend Effort to automatically succeed on the saving throw.

A trio of 6 HD uncreated shades, not so much, particularly since theurgic invocations are not gifts.

Thus, Auspice of the Divine King is primarily an early-game tool for forcing worthy foes who are not quite "powerful supernatural foes" to stand aside and accept you as ruler.

Where is the rule concerning having only one theurgic invocation active at a time? I can find no such rule.

How easy is it to use Godbound with Stars Without Number to make a science-fantasy system capable of supporting things like Phantasy Star, or Other Dust to make a post-apocalyptic-fantasy system?

That's not the deluxe version.

Mostly a matter of deciding which game's numbers to use for what, then converting stuff from the other to fit.

Sword Word lets you summon weapons at all time.

Then pick the Bow Word cause hurr durr Archer and see if your GM wont let you fluff "Rain of Sorrow" to be you flinging swords.

Then what is?

Post the Deluxe version, then.

The deluxe version has like fifty extra pages. Including the rules for mortal heroes.
I don't have it. Which is why I was disappointed that that's not it.

Does Perpetual Perfection allow the faux-magic armor and weapons (faux-magic because they benefit only non-Godbound) to be created as if they were "mundane," thereby benefiting from the vastly accelerated crafting pace from Ten Thousand Tools? Can any armor created this way be regalia armor, or does it have to be regular armor? Do regalia shields exist?

Additionally, if a character has the Artifice Word and the Wealth Word's Forever Sufficient, do they then have an infinite supply of needed materials with which to craft "actual objects of practical use" as suggested by the introduction of the Wealth word?

If I have the Artifice Word, Ten Thousand Tools, Perpetual Perfection, the Wealth Word, Forever Sufficient, and archmage-level mastery in the Theotechnicians:
1. Must I pay the 1 Wealth to create a 4 HD minor servitor, and how swiftly can I build it?
2. What must I pay to create +2 weapon or armor, and how quickly can I craft it?
3. Must I spend 2 Wealth to create an 8 HD servitor, and how rapidly can I construct it?
4. What must I pay to forge +3 weapon or armor, and how quickly can I make it?

Crafting is important, and I would appreciate clearer rules for such things.

The version I had posted seems to be the deluxe version.

>The version I had posted seems to be the deluxe version.
You mean this ? Because I might be wrong but I don't think it is. I skimmed through it and I can couldn't find the mortal heroes rules, but I did find a couple places where it mentions other rules being in the deluxe edition. Which would be weird if that was the deluxe edition.

Have you used the bookmarks?

Is the PDF 243 pages long?

>mortal heroes rules
Page 188 and onwards.

Looks like deluxe to me.

I fucking love that picture.

Winged people a shit, I want to see wheels of eyes and fire and fractal wings. Got any more? I'll dump my own angel folder.