GM Plot Twists

What are some of the best RPG plot twists you've played out?

Mine is still in-progress. The party Paladin is actually an Antipaladin. I can't wait for how the party will react during the inevitable reveal.

>everyone thought we were playing a homemade grimdark fantasy setting without magic
>only one of them have heard of 40k
>kill a "demon"
>suddenly inquisition here to hire them as agents due to awesomeness
>welcome to 40K
You should of seen there faces

Should have had them put on trial for suspected Heresy.
>WELCOME TO 40K BITCH

>should of
>there
Stay in school, kids.

>Make a character who is secretly a clone/artificial person
>Hint to the other players here and there
>Try to figure out what their deal is
>Tense moment arises
>Gasp! An ally of mine is also secretly a clone! Brother!
>Wait, the other person is also a clone
>Hold on a moment, every last one of us is a freaking clone
>Turns out everyone made the same class and were under orders to not say anything as well
I couldn't stop laughing.

>Later on, keep delving into secrets.
>Start to discover things about our existence.
>Turns out we are literally made of the same stuff as the horrible things we're fighting.
>Must now rationalize why we turned out good and will totally stay good.
>Can't trust anyone in the party.
Hell of a campaign. Greentext doesn't do it justice.

if only one of them had heard of 40k, how could their expressions have been?

>Foiling the BBEG's plot won't stop the world from ending. It's going to grind to a halt and fade into nothingness regardless of what anyone does
>A new world will flicker into life, along with reincarnating everyone, but nobody will remember their previous life at all
>All the party will do by stopping the BBEG is make it a peaceful and painless process
>Once they figure this out, they'll have less than a week to put their final affairs in order

A silent hill campaign where one of our friends that couldn't make it got npced. (PC were all themselves) I had him reccord dialog for me giving the PCs helpful advice from the safety of the church (he got seperated previous session from the party).

The eventual reveal was that it was that Ryan had been dead the entire time and a spirit was leading them down to the final confrontation with the final entity.

His best bud ended up seppokuing after the reveal after getting convinced by the evil spirit before the reveal into accidently killing another party member.

Shit was cash. Everyone sucked my dick.

I feel like most twists that GM's think are really clever or intriguing are just seen by the players as asspulls unless it's THAT kind of a game where there's twists and turns abound. Not saying they ARE asspulls, but without proper setup they can feel cheap. Especially if it's a "explicitly good guy was a bad guy the whole time"

You have to be careful not to just trick the players by abusing the fact that you "are" God and can just create whatever you want from thin air any time it's convenient for you.

Having said that, I am about to pull a little twist on my players. It's their first time playing anything and they finally got to a larger dungeon. Basically an evil alchemist's lab that's been abandoned for a long time yada yada. Anyway they found this guy who was starving in a hole in this dungeon prison where the alchemist kept his test subjects. He said he was a victim of these tests and left immortal but immobile.

The twist is, it's actually the alchemist himself. He wasn't exactly lying because the strange emaciated creature he's become was his own doing, but he did lie about why he was in the prison. His own creatures turned against him and threw him in there. Now he's slowly leading them to their possible doom as he is carried by the party's warrior through this dungeon which he knows intimately.

In a Evangelion campaign I ran, Unit 01 was actually one half of the soul from the daughter of the head of R&D that first volunteered as a pilot during the beginning of the project, which went horribly wrong and was thought dead. Said half of the soul was the one who could feel any positive emotions. The other half became the Sixth Angel, one of the major antagonists who could only feel, obviously, negative emotions, and was REALLY fucking mad.

It was an okay game, not my best campaign.

That actually sounds fairly profound.

Fire Emblem campaign (modified version of some homebrew system) with some good friends online. Few sessions in, we're cleaning out a cavern full of undead left behind by some old necromancer. Get to the back of the cave, and there's some stairs leading down to what's apparently ancient ruins. There we find a giant humanoid statue which sets off our autistic dragon loli (it's Fire Emblem after all).

Suddenly, the Gunbuster March starts playing.

The statue comes to life, apparently containing the soul of a long-dead dragon; turns out it's the legendary weapon we'd been trying to find, and knows where to find his brothers and sisters. Campaign then turns into a Fire Emblem x Super Robot Wars mix with players piloting magitek robots to fight dragons. GM said our reactions were priceless, and I can believe it. It's been one heck of a ride, easily the best game any of us have ever played in. We're fighting the true final boss for the fate of the world in a week or so.

i-it's beautiful

I came

One of the party members was a "misunderstood" refugee from a species of evil shapeshifters which the party's faction genocides on sight.

Also in the party was the shapeshifter's "brother", his brother's girlfriend, two fanatical followers of the scripture that demands they be put to death (my character being one of them), and a guy who was kind of stuck in the middle and just wanted a happy peaceful solution to everything.

Needless to say it tore everything apart, there was drama, PvP, and hurt feelings all around, but damn if we didn't get some good roleplaying out of it.

Ultimately the problem was that there was no way to move forward. The two zealots couldn't justify allowing the creature to exist, even if they were confused about their cameraderie, because it was contrary to literally their entire life's purpose. The brother obviously couldn't abandon him and neither would the girlfriend, so the passive guy had to watch in anguish as everyone went their separate ways.

The return of the Elder god of madness didn't make anyone else mad, it was just that God missing his friends who are the other old gods but dead, and no amount of him trying to summon them does anything.

>The nice friendly helpful girl is a changeling sent to destroy the group within, though their welcome and acceptance of her caused a change of heart and she decided to abandon her mission. When it came time to choose though between her getting executed and one of the older members of the party being framed for a crime, they understandably chose the older member. Suprise surprise, she survived the execution and came back under a new identity, posing as a nice and friendly newcomer but secretly seeking actual revenge for the group betraying her, at least in her mind.

Either that or

>The helpful pushover who became the group whipping boy was actually a high ranking naval officer.

Not super complicated twists but they were fun.

Never had a good twist dropped on me. They've all been GM asspulls entirely run by fiat and removal of player agency.

/r/ing the one where the party failed to put together the clues about the demon summoning.

I imagine it's not so much the reaction to it being 40k precisely, but more along the lines of "You thought you were in dark fantasy? WRONG! Have some SciFi! Now go fly in space!"

>Turns out we are literally made of the same stuff as the horrible things we're fighting.
>Must now rationalize why we turned out good and will totally stay good.
The only thing that matters is that YOUR HEART BURNS WITH JUSTICE!

There was a nun-like figure who led the local armed forces of a city. The party would turn to her for leads on where the city was having trouble, or places where the plot's big mysteries (such as how to escape the dreamworld) could be solved or investigated.

Turns out, she does that to every adventuring party. She builds them up, gathers trust, and sends them out on dangerous quests to die and get their powerful souls turned into gems to trade to Daemons' for the city's safety.

When the party found out by learning she has been doing this for millennia from resurrecting someone with an old soul gem, they confront her and cause her to play her final hand and try to eliminate the party. The party kills her, but this causes the Daemons' to realize they can go full ham on the city, and they unleash a deadly siege. It isn't until after the city was in shambles that the party realized what they did in killing the nun.

FUCK
RABBITS

bomp

>should of seen there

My first time ever trying to set up a proper plot twist
>players go to small northern town for different personal reasons
>get involved in a string of murders and start investigating it
>they set up base in the local inn, make good friends with the innkeeper
>everytime they enter place, he's busy cleaning or reorganising stuff to perfect order
>whenever they talk to him I care to describe how he places stuff to form perfect symmetry and such
>after some talking around, crypt dwelling and local myth hunting party gradually finds clues about a dark cult rooted in the town
>everyone they talk to about it gets murdered overnight
>cult's god gets pleased from abusing corpses, so every victim gets cut into pieces and organised into small piles (fingers, skin, limbs, etc.)
>party gets really into it, as every person they become friends with gets brutally, but meticulously dissected
>"Wow, their boss must have a serious ocd..."
>their faces of realization just then
priceless

>best rpg plot twist
>picture of the shittiest plot twist ever
you are sending a confusing message.

In the campaign I'm running now I've been deceiving my players about the true nature of the bad guys.

It's set on a futuristic Earth where all hell broke loose, think Shin Megami Tensei meets Diablo. Before we began the actual story I had my players answer a series of questions. I then had them play a prologue session where they played as themselves as a military unit sent to investigate a potential new power source for humanity as energy is dwindling.

They got sent to an island in the middle of the pacific ocean that rose up to investigate weird energy signatures that were coming from it.

After a temple dungeon they encounter 2 gates, one I described as a hellish gate and the other one as a more heavenly looking gate. After some discussion they opened both of them and they got evaporated by all of the mythological stuff and energy that came rushing out. I told them they died.

After that session we made their actual characters, throughout the story they have been encountering mysterious individuals calling themselves Nephalem trying their best to destroy Earth.

What my players don't know is that these Nephalem are themselves that got fucked over by the two gates in the beginning. Wanting to correct the mistake of them unleashing a shitstorm on the world by destroying it. I made them all based on the questions I've asked them in the beginning.

I've been giving them all kinds of subtle hints, I even mixed their real names in the names of the Nephalem. We've been running for half a year now and they still don't have a clue, I reveal a bit more every time though.

My bad if I worded the story a bit weird, first time I'm posting a story summary like this.

>best plot twist
killing monsters and taking there stuff isn't in this game

Nice.

Nice.

My last campaign had a fun reverse Darth Vader moment.

> Southern politics and voodoo dragon-themed campaign
> Party has an allied NPC who performs various tasks for them
> Played as sort of a white hat marshall
> Young but tough, and fiercely loyal to the party
> Turns out she's the old duchess's daughter and adopted daughter of the family-values law-and-order ultra nationalist Governor, who is the BBEG
> Since most of the game is spent investigating and politicking, she spends little time with the group, but is always doing things for the party in the background
> Group gradually discovers the old duke was cuckolded by the BBEG, but don't know which child is his

> Party is chasing the corrupt governor to an ancient facility
> His enforcers capture the party's hirelings and cohorts and bring them up to a ritual chamber
> Group arrives just in time to see him standing on a catwalk holding a dagger to the marshall's neck
> The entire table is hyper-tense, because they feel like something terrible is about to happen
> The party face decides to take charge of the situation and approaches
> "Are you willing to do this, Governor?"
> "For my people, anything. Not another step, bard, or I'll cut her throat."
> Bard tells me he wants to make a Persuasion check, since he 100% believes what he's about to say
> "She's your daughter, Edwin. Are you really capable of killing your own daughter?"
> Persuasion is maxed out the ass, and the bard rolls well -- a 26 total
> "A daughter..."
> He lets her go and takes her face in his hands, looking at her. He can see how she has her mother's face, but nothing of the old duke. And her eyes are the same blue as his. She's his daughter.
> "My daughter..."
> Bard and the rest of the players start to relax
> His expression hardens
> "I have no need for a daughter."
> He cuts the marshall's throat and kicks her off the catwalk

Everyone at the table leaped up and started screaming. It was great.

Does an Anti-Paladin rise when helping an old lady across the street?

Would everyone be reincarnated pregnant?

>Mysterious Island where people act mysteriously.
>BBEG is actually a common household spider that made it's web on an ancient psionic artifact.
>Second level of BBEG is a psionic guy that was driven mad by the spider's thoughts and collected bugs and bug accesories like the spider do.
> Third level of BBEG is the real deal. The second guy had obtained artifacts such as the last beetle of an ancient defeated Worm That Walks and the PCs accidentaly release it.

Got 2 at the moment in an RT campaign

>System is held by a corrupt and incompetent ex-Trader
>What little bureaucracy exists hates him with a passion, its literally 1 secretary, 2 mechanicus, and an astropath running the entire show
>Krieger PC speaks to the bureaucrats in private if there's any way to "fix" the system governor
>Mechanicus give million and one reasons as to why its not possible, secretary stays quiet doing her work
>Krieger mentions possible regicide, Mechanicus are appalled but the secretary makes an approving sound, player pushes the issue with her even though she has NO visible authority
>End up making a plan to talk to the General stationed at the system, secretary wonders of the morality of planning a coup
>Player realizes his authority is way too little to get an audience with the general, and the head mechanicus is against the plan

>Everyone at the table tells the Imperium loyalist player to give up, but he refused to stop brainstorming with the bureaucrats
>FuckerMakingMePlayMyHand.jpg
>Secretary writes out a letter and stamps it with an unusual insignia
>=I=
>OOC the player's eyes light up and he's failing to hold back a manic smile
>None of the others really know the lore and aren't sure what's happening, the Mechanicus NPCs are freaking out so some shit just went down
>Krieger nods and asks her name
>Mulaine, Fe Mulaine

At the General's planet they gotta exterminate some chaos shenanigans. But its being done by a Captain with a genocide boner for the local Xenos. The Captain will be incredibly helpful but also vocal about his disdain to xenos.

Three, marginally created.

>Shock, horror! The party did not actually tap into some Badger Lords when they did their random sacrifice out in the wilderness! It was an evil adventuring party who saw it and co-opted them as patsies with their were-badger member!
>Even more shock, horror! The Badger Lord does exist, reempowered by their sacrifice, and he's slewn the evil party member before eh can teleport everyone to the sun!
>Yet more shock, horror! While you've been doing this entire mission dealing with a wizard's experimental cast-offs with shape-changing powers, you haven't been yourselves, you've been golemx who think they're yourselves! And now you real selves hare arrived and are pissed; time to change perspective and FIGHT!

I've got one in the making
>Dming Shadowrun
>Party is new to 5th ed and know from 4th that the hacker is a total shit show
>No one makes a hacker, they opt for an NPC
>They're given a hacker by a fixer they don't trust after the first mission (but before the mission)
>Party goes on series of runs with this hacker, who humbly works for them and clearly under charges for his services
>They go on a string of missions from this fixer that they come to realize are all related, despite precautions by the corp behind it
>They don't know that the hacker is working for the fixer exclusively, who is working for the corp
>They don't know how much of what they've done had been sent back, not to mention back doors into their commlinks
>There have been so many clues and hints to this, but not one has been picked up on. They implicitly trust him.
>Once they find out, the end of the campaign activates and they'll be on the run of their lives
It was the first thing I wrote for this character and I'm looking so forward to see it through.

>"I collect bugs and bug accessories, I tell you h'what"

Shit, dude. That's kinda fucked up.

I dig it

I gang-pressed them into working for a powerful wizard they were trying to steal from.

I dropped a LOT of hints that he was a lich. When the thief snuck into his bedchamber, I even described his beard disguise and his "emancipated" ankles (which is all she could see from under the bed). They just laughed so much at my confusing "emancipated" with "emaciated" that they forgot the implications of that.

So when they refused to do some of the darker jobs for him, and they simply skipped town.... Welll.... ok, I guess he succeeds in turning the whole capital city into a necropolis.

They flipped their shit when they came back, much later. The fighter's family was in the living plague-ghetto. The wizard and cleric's uppity-up family were toe-ing the line nervously. It was a big reveal.

Ran a game where one of my characters was dead but he didn't know. Dropped subtle hints throughout the campaign that he was a revenant, two of the other players figured it out. End game we had a good moment where the party thief and cleric tried to talk him into sparing the BBEG by explaining all the cues that his soul would move on after the deed was done. Guy kills BBEG anyway and drops dead.

Those dudes were awesome, they helped me carry that twist over a full campaign. Makes me sad that I'll probably never have another game come together like that.

Currently running a high-fantasy campaign about searching for ancient superweapons to combat a rising threat of Old Gods rising from the depths.

The players are close to excavating the first of the superweapons from the dungeon, only to find out it's a Paris Gun and a battalion of assorted WW1 Tanks, which were preserved by the 'ancients', ie. us in these modern times which are their prehistory.

Can't wait to see their faces.

A PC's dead father in law was the villain the whole time, and their goofy b-plot in the family castle was in fact tied directly into the main story. They just didn't suspect it was so they never connected the events, which if you do suspect take on a different light.

My character got into a twist where getting resurrected would mean that he has to eat brains for the rest of his life.
Another twist was that the guy who resurrected him killed him 3 days later, not because of guilt, but because of his own selfish motives.

this is basically a trail of cthulhu scenario

>>Gasp! An ally of mine is also secretly a clone! Brother!

Later:

> Climax of the campaign
> Party has moved heaven and earth to resurrect the Marshall
> Not even because they think she's mechanically useful, they just didn't want her to die
> Call in every favor they have in order to get a high-level cleric to cast Resurrection on her body within 24 hours
> Tell the group that the cleric will do what he can, but he makes no promises as to whether the Marshall is coming back

> BBEG has completed his big bad evil plan, except it's all gone wrong
> The dracolich he unleashed is destroying his realm, raising dragon golems and killing everyone, and betrayal on his side meant he could no longer control it
> Party fights their way into the gubernatorial palace, slaying the last of his supporters
> They find him in his office, holding a primed grenade and the last component to the airship they need
> He threatens to detonate the bomb if they come any closer
> If the component gets damaged, there's no way of fixing it
> Tell the group that there are a few options, including attacking or delaying
> Party leader steps forward to negotiate and delay the BBEG, but the Governor has gone completely insane
> Governor starts ranting and raving, keeping his eye on everyone in the room
> "This realm is MINE. All of it! And not you, not the Empire, or anyone else is going to take it from me! I am the father of this nation, and I will see it burned to ashes before I see it fall to you!"
> There's a gunshot
> Seizing the initiative, the party druid casts a spell and knocks the grenade out of his hand
> Governor coughs up blood and turns around to see the Marshall -- wounded, barely able to stand up, but alive -- behind him, holding a smoking pistol
> "I have no need for a father."

Normally, I don't let NPCs do anything cool, but given the party spent a fortune on a stupid NPC I decided she needed a sendoff.

Also, the Governor only had a maximum of 9 HP, so it wouldn't have been much of a battle.

>Normally, I don't let NPCs do anything coo

I try to keep it in moderation and not to show the party up, but if they are looking for some notable badass to recruit for a cause or something I am not above letting them show off when they meet up, or valued NPC allies actually seem worth the investment.

Hell yeah. Reminds me of Walder Frey in Game of Thrones. Nicely done user.

So, here’s mine from a Dark Heresy Phaenonite game. Apologies to canon purists, I’m very much of the mind that 40k as a setting is at its most enjoyable when you pick-and-choose and make of it what you will, so brace yourself for some non-canon stuff.

Anyhow, we’re all familiar with Matt Ward’s Grey Knight Massacre right? One of my players decides she’d like to be a sororitas who survived and craves revenge.

We decide she was just an initiate in training by the Order of the Ebon Chalice when the incident happened, barely more than a child.
She still has terrible memories of hulking, silver-armored figures, and the devastation of her sisters.

She was taken in by the Phaenonites, and made into a Slate Agent, an operative who can have her personality and memories altered at will to make the perfect disguise.

The team’s mission is to lure out and capture a puritan Inquisitor, who they know is overly attached ot his acolytes. The players pull it all off without a hitch, using the Slate Sister’s skills they capture or kill the acolytes and lure the Inquisitor in to investigate. There’s only one hitch.

He’s accompanied by a Space Marine in silver armor, and hanging from his belt is a torn scrap of cloth, the symbol of the order of the Ebon Chalice.

Sister is furious. Fate has finally brought her nemesis into her clutches, the very man who slaughtered her order, and has the audacity to parade his victory in front of her eyes. She thirsts for vengeance.

But she’s not stupid. Years of working with the most secretive of Radicals means she knows how to plan.

Carefully, the players lay out their ambush. They come up with an ingenious method of splitting the Inquisitor and the Grey Knight up, they load for bear, and get ready for the killing stroke.
(Cont.)

As a special gift from their own Interrogator, the Sister is provided with a suit of power armor in the colours of the Ebon Chalice.
At last, the time comes and the players spring trap. Thanks to liberal use of a multi-melta, combat drugs and sheer grit, they emerge on top. The Grey Knight, Brother Gideon, lays before Slate Sister, broken and bleeding.

“Why?” he whispers, recognizing her colours, shocked at being attacked by a fellow servant of the Emperor.

The Sister removes her helm, tells him she was there on Van Horne when her honorable order was massacred.
Gideon responds in a choked whisper.
“What madness is this? We did not kill your order! We arrived too late to save you! Only one child remained… I bore the sign of the Ebon Chalice to mourn my greatest failure….”
With that the Space Marine dies, leaving the Sister in disbelief.

Later, she spoke with her master on the matter. He asks her if it really matters if Gideon killed her order or not. She thinks he did. She remembers him as her enemy. And now she’s had her revenge, and it feels just as good as if it was all true. How many times might she have already taken vengeance on phantom enemies, never knowing the difference between her memories and those planted inside her mind by her masters? All that remains of the child she was is her thirst for vengeance.
For who better to serve the Phaenonites, than one who’s passion transcends all knowledge of Good and Evil?

Best part was, her handler was another player who knew the whole time. It was a delight.

>Kill Group member
>Framed for a crime you can still run from
>Don't even attempt to stop execution or escape

Well I think they deserved it

We were playing a hodgepodge science gone mad setting with missions from jurrasic park or planet of the apes. We end up investigating some town where homeless people get a second chance. Turns out it was all Soylent green and we should have seen it from the start. It was super obvious in hindsight.

So what was the BBEG planning?

IS there a reason he didn't have them killed in their sleep?

How the fuck does destorying the world fic unleashing a shitstorm on it?

Our GM pulled this on us. We'd recently left a city run by a cult of the god of wine and went to their main rival in wine-making, hunting down a coven of witches. When the witches were leaving to do some sort of ritual, and we were deciding what to do, the 1st city's army showed up, full on Deus Vult style to raze the 2nd city. Our heads basically exploded.

If you're on here GM, you're great.

I cannot tell the details as one of my players might stumble upon it here, but there are reasons for it in the somewhat complex overarching story.
The cult needs the players for its plans and they are also important assets against a rival cult. They already know this much.
Also, besides abusing corpses, betrayal is the other fetish of the dark god. Thats why the bartender was befriending them, so they could be set up for stabbings later.

I was running a naval campaign. The Big Bad was this other captain who the players never even saw. Final battle, the heroes go through the dungeon ship, lose a few NPCs, get ready to mop up the Captain and make him pay for what he's done... he's dead and the ship's cleric tells the party face that before he died he said to surrender his +1 Longsword. The players take it, the ship, forget about the cleric. Next session, they're talking to one of the NPC crewmen about it and the NPC says "It's really a miracle the ship made it without a cleric for the last three months." Players all realize they were rused, change course, and practice their dulcimer/lute band they have in the Captain's Quarters.

In progress one. The players are about to kill the kind, who they suspect of being a demonic imposter.
He's the real king, and they are the unwitting assasins.

Had a campaign with a pc who wanted to be a secret villain. Ended up making a Dragonrider bonded with a Black Dragon. Was separated from his dragon so as not to tip off the other players, everyone assumed he was a Samurai since he wielded a Katana, who were we to correct them?
Halfway through a wasteland, no one around but the party, he summons his dragon which had been growing in size alongside his levels. Executes a member of the party (who happened to be the last of her race) and flies off. Only to return later as the BBEG.
After he was killed it was revealed that the pc was actually being mentally manipulated by the dragon to do his bidding all along and was actually a really cool guy.

My best "twist".
Shadowrun

Turns out the guy calling himself professor Moriarty who was hiring the runners on various runs against the local mobs and gangs of the city was actually a bad guy who used the mess caused by the various runs to go on and take over the criminal underworld of the city

It was a twist because the players were 100% sure that it would turn out that the evil mustache-twirling guy called Moriarty was a good guy all along, since no one could be that obviously evil without it being some sort of cover

Yes.

In Shadowrun? Did they not read any source material?

>getting players to read anything
>ever

teach me your secrets sempai

I don't get it

Our Pathfinder campaign is going across dimensions to close tears so we don't all die. Gives us a bunch of dimensions. I need gems on my hammer so it can be supercharged and convince team to go to "SonicChar" dimension.

I expected sonic, I got Chris-Chan and CWCville...fml. also the dimensional rift turned us into Deviant Art Sonic OCs. Name and all...

This campaign has been a serious god damn pathfinder campaign for about a year now. we just fought a dragon, we are in CWCville....I..I..no, we deserve this.

the bartender was/is the cult boss

The package we had been hunting down the whole campaign instantly killed the guy who opened it.

Then it seemed that so long as we had the package with us, our luck was horrible and party members would end up dying.

Eventually, we got the package back to the guy who had asked for it and it turned out that he had planned for it to kill off most of our party and we had unwittingly empowered the BBEG with our conquests.

> DnD4e
>Homebrewn setting to facilitate some shenanigans
> Big bad is kind of a chubby Cardinal Richelieu
> Corner him after taking on his right-hand man
> Has been a manipulator so far
> Party expects "victory lap" confrontation
> Actually, that's just his robes being baggy, he's not chubby
> Also, he's not really a "cleric", his order is very different from regular spellcaster Clerics
> As in, he's a Ragnarok Online Shaolin-Catholic Monk
> Take off robes
> He's built like a brick shithouse
> STANDING HERE

Hey, you remind me of one I've been keeping under lock and key for a year and a half.
>In sixteen in-game years, all magic will go away forever. Either the goddess of magic will be wounded beyond healing, or she will go away forever, or both.
>There is no 'bringing back magic', except for MAYBE Warlock pacts.
>Now magic goes from commonplace to rare as fuck within a heartbeat, scrolls don't work, only certain artifacts.
>Lifespans of races up in the air
>ohshit.jpg

Another I have planned for a different campaign is 'The NPC traveling with you is the secret mother of the damsel you're trying to rescue'.

I find myself in a poor position in my current game. I've the only character left alive from the first session. So, since no one else was alive long enough for DM to write them stories, I had all the story importance and twists for a long while (until a few others didn't die along the way). A few of the twists feel like asspulls since There was no reason to question the information in the way that would've revealed them before hand.

>As a mercenary, you had this title.
>surprise, you're not the first person to use this title because there was a person in the bbeg cult who had it before you (oh, and you don't remember it, but you were in that cult before they mindraped the memories away).

No way to know to specifically ask about the title and how long it's been around to know its been around longer than my character, you know?

>"emancipated" ankles
...He had detachable ankles?

Ran shadowrun game based around this.

>Corporate exec wakes up with his identity stolen/missing
>Hires runners to get to the bottom of it thinking some nefarious plot is afoot by some rival corporation
>Learns later his life got flipped-turned upside down because of a petty bet by his bosses
>End campaign and tell players it was based on the movie, blowing their minds

Have they already undone captain hydra?

They've revealed that his past is actually being ret-conned within the setting, by the Red Skull who's rewriting history with the Cosmic Cube. So, it's still happening, but it's been confirmed that it's not ''real''.

Biggest one I ever did was when I ran a dark heresy game for a bunch of college students. They were pretty strong left-wingers which often caused some arguing because I don't go along with their "respect muh pronouns" crap, but none of them walked out.
They were all tasked to live within a hive and do work for the hive governor, who was an ally of the inquisition. Several months of real time passed without them leaving the hive or the immediate surroundings. They actually grew to like the hive governor over time, despite him being a loud, abrasive man who was over the top and had opinions that sometimes contradicted reality.
They helped him deal with the hives problems and in return he provided them with information and support for inquisition matters. Finally, it came to a head when the governor was dealing with a tide of criminals and terrorists who were sneaking into the hive and causing trouble, most of them coming from another hive on the planet, a much worse hive that nobody wants to live in. Quite a few of the pc's favourite npc's had been victimised, injured, or killed by these people so the group was totally on board with trying to throw them all out and keep them out, with them occasionally expressing a desire to kill them all.
So, they met with the governor to discuss his plan to stop this tide. He explained that these people were all coming through a particular valley, and that blocking that valley would halt the tide. They asked how he was going to do that. Was he going to he armed patrols, automated turrets.... And then the bomb dropped. He said "we're going to build a wall, and we're going to make [other hive] pay for it".
They burst out screaming in fury and indignation. Of the four, only one said she'd be coming back for next week. Campaign ended there, but I had a bloody good laugh about the whole thing.

Not when he immolates the cart preventing the old maid to cross.

The ex-psuedo-Nazi doubleagent was actually a double-agent the whole time working for the fascist state within the rebellion to help bring down the fascist state.

Because! It turns out that the fascist state was actually being deliberately cruel to awaken humanity's rebellious nature so that it wouldn't lose it's humanity adapting to space travel/life.

Another one that I've played in;

Playing a high fantasy game, hired in a bar to take a strange foreign wizard to the gate of death down in the Southlands.

Have a typical adventure with wandering monsters, weird enchantments and so on. But, the wizard is really suspicious and elusive both the purpose of the quest and his own backstory. Some other things are really off as well, magic doesn't always affect us as it should, with some spells just going wrong.

Get to the gate of death (that takes people into the realm of death without killing them), wizard activates the gate and we go through.

Everyone wakes up back in our hometown not far from the pub. Told that an ancient order of good wizards had hired us jut prior to the start of the campaign and that we had been precognition to mind-control criminals to play along with the BBEG to find out what his evil plan was.

Then we started our actual quest, getting trained up to defeat him.

>Told that an ancient order of good wizards had hired us jut prior to the start of the campaign and that we had been precognition to mind-control criminals
What?

Yeah, it was a bit trippy (not helped by my horribly slap-dash grammar in that sentence), but essentially the whole first half of the campaign was us puppeteering five or so people as they went on this quest. This 'good' order of wizards basically used prophecy and future sight to immediately tell us what was going on and what the results of our actions were so that we could essentially then give a sequence of actions that would be beamed to five meat puppets over the coming months to enact what had seen already come to pass.

To put it a different way: a wizard, a prior to the campaign comes to our characters and says "I'll pay you alot of money for a days work, provided I can wipe your memory of what you do during that day."

He takes us into a backroom of a pub and lays us down to sleep. He then puts us in a suggestible dream state where he uses magic to relay the events of the future into our minds. He records both our reactions and the actions we do into a special orb.

During that day, he is able to run through several months of action up to the point where we would have gone through the gate. He then takes the orb, the one recording everything, and uploads all the data into the brains of five convicts who then enlist with the evil wizards and over the course of the coming months do the entirety of the quest in exactly the same way that our characters would have done it, thinking that they were us the whole time.

>Another I have planned for a different campaign is 'The NPC traveling with you is the secret mother of the damsel you're trying to rescue'.

you should feel ashamed for such a shitty twist

I regret nothing. It makes sense in context and I'm not sure if I care whether it's a shitty twist or not because it won't make or break the game anyways.
Plus the players aren't actively doing things and if I have to string them along a bullshit plot, so be it.
When you're a foreverDM, they can't all be winnerss.

>Secretary writes out a letter and stamps it with an unusual insignia

Made me chukle

NANOMACHINES SON

That makes no fucking sense

High fantasy? How in the world could WW1 tanks be considered super weapons? WW2 Era Would definitely be pretty impressive, and a group of modern MBT would be definitely be counted as a super weapon.

But WW1 Tanks when they we're made were ramshacklesque and mostly useful only as a moving defensible postion. After how many ever years of presumably not magical preservation, they'd be worth more as metal then weapons

He very menacingly picks up the old lady, evilly crosses the road and puts her down as he maniacally laughs as he accomplishes the vile plan.

It starts low. They encountered some Napoleonic Artillery, but dismissed it as just normal fantasy cannons. Next up is the WW1 stuff. Then WW2, and so forth, getting progressively bigger.

Last one is a modern, fully equipped aircraft carrier that they need to raise from the bottom of the sea where it has been sealed. Carrying a nuclear weapon.

*yaaawwwn*

Should I of now?

>mfw grammar

What the fuck is this, faggot?

>Shadowrunners find during some run an old hideout
>Clearly hasn't been used in years, lots of guns stashed around, good quality ones too
>Follow an old map to some other sites, only to find them in use
>Including an armory, a smuggling den, and a place in the barrens that was being raided by Firewatch
>They think they've found just a secretive cult or toxic mage
>But Winternight has found them and they're fucking pissed

Bump.

The secondary BBEG isn't trying to kill them. He's trying to make them stronger to wipe out the BBEG.