What cards are you surprised arn't banned in EDH?

What cards are you surprised arn't banned in EDH?

The obvious ones being Serra Ascendant or Sorin Markov but for me personally, it was learning about Felidar Sovereign and Nevermore (say goodbye to any interaction that your deck has with your commander!).

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/4uvo5b/what_cards_are_you_surprised_arent_banned/?st=ir5tl45l&sh=c36e1737
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're gonna get shit on by modern players who play Edh on the side.

"Git gud skrub"

Just filter through that shit.
I agree that sorin and ascendant are super strong in Edh. But in the end you'll probably have to suck it up and use politics to 3v1 the degenerate player.

If your deck is so dependent on the commander that it falls apart without it, you deserve to lose.

If your deck cannot answer a 3 mana enchantment, it deserves to lose.

Ascendant is very strong, but it paints a giant target on you from the word "go". You might get in 2 or 3 solid hits with it before it dies, and grudges carry for longer than that. Sorin can be painful, but it's not instantly game-ending on its own, and if you're gonna argue "But other cards!" there are 5 mana spells that WILL end the game with other cards.

Felidar Sovereign requires you to either be playing a lifegain deck or to have not taken a single hit for some 5+ turns, and then have a creature with no protection of any kind survive 3 opponent's turns. If you can pull that off, that's your win, clean and fair.

Any card that combo's really easily (Black Mikaeus) or an card that massively slows down the game (Top)

This and sol ring.

Everything you said is stupid. Also I play an esper deck, and my friends hate Magister Sphinx much more than they hate Sorin. He may be mono black, but magister is a lot easier to abuse.

I guess mono black will always lose against enchantment decks.

Fucking /tg so autistic sometimes.

No cards need to be banned. The format is fine. Unban a few cards, if anything.

Cyclonic rift is fine, EDH needs board wipes

Free Prime Time.

Prime Time only should have fetched basic lands, his design was restrictive and poorly thought out

If EDH was played 1v1 you would have a point.

As it is you're just a bitter retard.

I don't think Ascendant, Sorin, or Sovereign should be banned, but DO think they should be changed to be based on your starting life total.
Only card I think should be banned is Sol Ring

>What is Nevinyrral's Disk
>What is Unstable Obelisk
>What is Oblivion Stone
>What is Spine of Ish Sah
>What is Karn
>What is Scour From Existence

Functional errata is even dumber than just banning something.

White needs all the help it can get in terms of serra ascendant. It doesn't kill for 8 turns. And sorin markov is bad. 6 mana, triple black, sorcery speed, usually doesn't even win and just paints a target. Nine times out of ten I'd rather just have a necropotence. If you disagree you're bad.

Oh EDH needs one sided boardwipes in blue does it?

What other boardwipes does blue have?

it's a soft wipe, only really works for a turn, and you're saying that like there's no way around other wipes

not to mention other colours also have one-sided board wipes

Evacuation? Nevinyrral's Disk? Oblivion Stone?

Yeah, but how many of those leave their entire board untouched, fuck up every other opponent's entire board except lands, and can be done at any time? Rift is used as a defensive measure like 1 in 10 times. The other 9 it's "Rift at the end of your turn, kill everyone" or "Rift at the end of your turn, untap, have overwhelming board advantage while all of you try to piece your boards back together"

Eh. Bounce is the unavoidable wipe aside from exile, and I'm really not a fan of the idea that the blue player can make three or four opponents pick up their entire board without touching their own.

Blue's not hard up for ways to get all the permanents off the board at once, but at least its other ones don't mean it's the only one who has anything in play afterwards.

Why do you think there's something wrong with playing a format based around always having access to one card, and expecting to always have access to that one card?

Anyone here do a 'group banlist'? We do, because fuck it, wizards doesn't support commander anyway, so why should their banlist count? We removed and added cards that we felt were too oppressive and let everyone have their fun.

we've banned Mikaeus the Unhallowed and we're thinking of getting rid of Altar of the Brood because, while not overpowered, it's incredibly frustrating and uninteresting to play against and turns fun token deck shenanigans into 'lol mill'

"let everyone have their fun"
Your group sounds terrible.

I love mill strategies because most of my decks make strong use of the graveyard. I can assure you that sydri eggs just loves artifacts in the graveyard so she can combo off faster or a devastating roar of reclamation.
Jund reanimation likewise is pretty happy with stuff in the yard.
And my decks that don't have strong gy strategies pack eldrazi titans.
Frankly a one mana do nothing artifact is among the least banworthy cards I can think of.

the question was about individual playgroups, we don't really run many graveyard recursion decks

we've banned the RC's no tuck rule because it's for whiny babies

EDH for me is fun for me from designing the deck.

Actually playing games in EDH is really fucking tedious, becasue most decks I come across revolve around one feature and if that is countered in some way the player sulks, and ruins any tournaments we try to run as they just drop out, even if it is set up in such a way that they have other games.

Now that I think about it I would say that I have had 5 games out of hundreds of EDH and other formats that I have played that were actually satisfying where the winner wasnt all but decided by turn 3, and both players were happy and satisfied with the outcome.

You should try playing highlander with commanders at some point. It's really fun.

NARSET
A
R
S
E
T

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate with your sarcasm

I feel like I'm the only person on Veeky Forums who gets ptsd from hearing tuck rule.

Playing games where commanders are relevant instead of being trashed immediately after being played

>banning altar of the brood

Literally Weenie Hut Jr, tier

Sorin and Nevermore are too targeted. EDH is a multiplayer format at heart, and one player using those cards to screw over one other player causes a lot of political ruckus.

>it's incredibly frustrating and uninteresting to play against

What the fuck is your group doing that a little mill isn't actually helping you out? Most EDH decks should love to put a few cards in their graveyard.

Why does everyone freak the fuck out over Serra Ascendant? Yea, he instantly gets his final form if you drop him early, but he isn't going to put you massively ahead and possibly take over the game like Sol Ring or Manacrypt does. Sure, it's annoying to get punched for 6, but he is nothing but a beat stick that gains you some life. Putting him down early is going to instantly make you the archenemy. Not only that, but he is a dead as fuck card it you draw him later in the game since you are most likely below 30 at that point.

>getting triggered over mill
>not even combo, just 1-5 cards per that player's turn

How new are you guys?

>one player drops someone to 10 life
>everyone ignores the 10 life person since they will die to a stiff breeze and fucks up the asshole who did
>low life player gets some breathing room to stabilize

How retarded is your playgroup that they need to whine about cards like that?

I've only seen babies on /tg whine about Ascendant. Your group has to be pretty shit if a 6/6 flyer is a serious threat in EDH. It's not even as good as t1 Sol Ring

>houserule ban some cards cause a bloo bloo Blightsteel is so OP waaaah!
>takes cards out of official banlist when literally every card on there is degenerate as fuck and deserves to be banned

???

Wow, Veeky Forums is bad at magic.

Sol ring is fine. It's literally a dollar, one comes in every single constructed deck, and it doesn't inherently do anything on its own.

Serra Ascendant is kind of a kick in the nuts, but there are much more important things to worry about. One 6/6 flier early isn't worth banning one of the few useful white cards, just use removal like you should be using anyways.

Felidar Sovereign is also fair. It assumes you at least have your starting life total, and it's more of a late-game wincon for Esper than a real workhorse of any other deck. I run one in my Ayli and I think I've only won with it once, considering tutoring it into my yard with buried alive and bringing 2 things back with victimize is pretty much my bread and butter. Most of the time it hits the field, gets nuked, and that's that.

Top is also fine, tell your stupid ass friends to fuck off, or give them a 30 second timer to look at their cards. I run top in two separate decks and not a single person has ever complained about the way I use it.

Cyclonic Rift is boarderline, but again, it's 7 mana AND requires a boardstate to be useful. Sure, it sucks and makes people feel bad, but it doesn't win the game on its own. I can do a lot of shitty things for 7 mana.

Sorin is kind of meh as well, but he's no worse than the infinitely more splashable Tree of Perdition that comes with a 2 piece instant-win, so I think it's small potatoes.

Now, what do I think is oppressive as fuck? Stax. Stax is the ultimate feelbad deck for casuals. I don't really want to advocate anything getting banned, but I can see people being more mad about stax than some infinite mana combo into a full table mill.

Certain cards should also be banned only as commander. Black Braids is a fine card on its own, as a commander it's far too oppressive. Same goes for Nekusar, slap something with infect on him, and you're almost gifted a win.

My concern is less power level and more it working as it does in regular magic (i.e. - something you need to work for to get a bonus out of), but it unfortunately being worded as though 20 were the only starting life total possible.
Same for anything that mentions life totals - Fateful Hour, Sorin, Zen-block vampires, Felidar, and while not directly life totals, poison.

Iona

Well whats done is done, Wizards barely ever errata cards if even. They made these back when EDH wasn't the monstrously popular format it is now, they are aware now with cards like Ayli so you can at least have solace with that.

Also infect/poison counters isn't OP, stop whining about it.

you had me until you mentioned Nekusar being banworthy, even as commander only. He doesn't even have built in hexproof

The life totals things are perfectly fine the way they are, they go from being completely unplayable to actually feasible in commander, they're still not great.
>Fateful Hour
all the cards it's on are shit, changing the life total required to trigger it wouldn't make them playable in EDH
>Sorin
My memory is fuzzy but I don't remember if Magister Sphinx was printed before or directly after EDH was created, but it's been around for 90% of the format's life, is easily the most abusable version of that ability, and it's still not banned when fucking Kokusho was snap banned. Just get over and live with it. If it's THAT bad then keep targetting the player who uses it until he stops
>Infect
Infect is such a hard strategy to play in EDH, it essentially only works with Skittles and sometimes Nekusar/Ruric Thar. It feels completely acceptable that there's one legendary creature who's ability in EDH is "only needs 10 commander damage". Trying to pull that kind of aggro in monoB against 2-4 players is difficult enough without having to do 5-10 more points of damage per player

I just have a player who runs the most unsatisfying group slug deck ever with Nekusar that he only brings out in 4 player games. 1v1 his deck has no gas and even haphazardly assembled commons will beat him. 1v1v1v1 either we gang up and bang him into an early grave, or he wins turn 6 or 7 almost every single time by giving nekusar infect, then dropping windfall and related bullshit. He doesn't even care if he loses because he knows his deck is unsatisfying to play against, it's just awful in general to be part of. And this is coming from a hardcore Land Destruction/Stax meta.

>playan Yore-Tiller because my group allows the Nephilim as generals
>Flamerush Rider also attacking
>pull out Master of Cruelties
>stack triggers so Flamerush triggers after Yore-Tiller, put another Master of Cruelties in
>Behind the Scenes out
>slam 2 players down to 1 life and kill them
>group gets turbo salty and bans Master of Cruelties

I don't think it's overpowered in any format, it just bugs me that it's now 'quarter of your starting life' instead of 'half your starting life', just like the other Life At X stuff not working normally.
Hell, the only one that DOESN'T bug me is Triskadekaphobia, and that's because of what it is specifically (a specific number rather than being some multiple/fraction of your life total written out)

Here's your you

Moxen could come off. So could Library.

top kek

>it essentially only works with Skittles and sometimes Nekusar/Ruric Thar

Anything with heavy Ramp or an Artifact theme can tend to get through with Blightsteel too.

Animar needs to go.

This.
Sorin doesn't actually kill anyone and Serra Ascendant dies to almost everything, the only color that has problems with it without playing purposedly underpowered decks, is red.

This shit on the other hand is the ultimate griefer card. It's either used to steal the win from someone's hands or to ruin a game as you die.

On the other hand:
>Narset player wins if he untaps
>I go after, Sorin him to 10, tell others he wins if he untaps.
>Other attack me instead.
>He wins when he untaps.
>They blame me for him winning.

EDH players are bottom of the barrel stupid.

It depends on the situation whether or not you let them stabilize.

reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/4uvo5b/what_cards_are_you_surprised_arent_banned/?st=ir5tl45l&sh=c36e1737

Or, my personal favorite:
>build a fuck huge board state with almost enough juice to knock a single player out
>by this time combofort mcdurdle is one peice away from their bullshit combo to instantly win in any number of ways
>"alright guys, instead of letting him win we can swing and maybe stop his elves/revilark/kiki-jiki"
>"sounds good user!"
>swing with my whole board, totally tap myself out, almost killing combo-douche
>"haha! We tricked you user, time to strike while he's weeeeeaaaaakkkkk!"
>wind up knocked out by 3 consecutive attacks
>combo goes off anyways
>Johnny wins
>"Come on user, you really suck at magic, why do you always come in last?"
Every. Single. Time. This is why I prefer 1v1.

All Is Dust

Fuckers just have to take everything of ours.

Is there a single original thread on reddit?

>Reddit post: 11 hours ago
>OP post: 7 hours ago
Reading is hard

why is Veeky Forums so terrible at magic and always crying about it?

>playgroup has 0 decks that use infect
>make a zombie tribal deck with nekusar as the commander
>zombies do most of the work so nekusar is there really just for fun
>have glistening oil and grafted exoskeleton, 2 cards, in that entire deck that grant infect
>only play nekusar when I have either of them

My group was flipping their shit at first but after a few tries they've learned to get over it. It's pretty fun watching players let the infect take others just before they try to get rid of nekusar before it hits their turn. I've lost count of the times of countered desperate boardwipes.

My groups pretty chill though, I just wish they'd try to make new commanders more often. I've had one guy have nothing but Animar for over a year now. Thankfully he got a box of Eldritch Moon and is now working on a wolf tribal. Better than nothing I suppose.

honestly EDH is best played with 4 extremely overpowered decks to balance themselves out.

BUT if i had to say one card im surprised to see not banned, its Iona.

not because its overpowered but because it completely shutdowns mono-color decks, which are already at a disadvantage for being locked into one color pool.

they have the advantage of never needing to color fix and run all their cards without fear of how many colored symbols are in it

if a nine mana creature is such a problem for them, then they can invest in the plethora of colorless removal or just counter it

>this guy
No, monocoloured is distinctly at a disadvantage due to a lack of diversity in cards. Have fun drawing anything in mono white. Iona is only a dick in reanimator.

>pitch iona early
>pull it back
>flicker it at various times just to fuck with people
>watch everyone cry

I had something similar happen
>My Zombies go after Johnny
>Other two fuckers betray me
>Johnny is the only one on blue and tapped
>When the second guy attacks me for the win I Entomb Mikaeus and Wake the Dead him and Triskelion
>OMG user YOU'RE SUCH AN ASSHOLE WITH YOUR UNDERHANDED BULLSHIT NO WONDER YOU PLAY BLACK!

Our beloved format is the home or retards and that guys.

seems like your groups are packed with idiots.
in my group we barely have any politics we rather joke around and compliment each other on our plays and decks
also if someone is about to combo off the other players don't need any convincing to fuck him up because everyone goes after that guy until he's dead or the combo pieces are out of range again and if we don't manage to stop it, he earned his win.

cards no one plays in mono black

then it's their own fault.
the options are there if you don't use them you've no right to cry about losing to enchantments.

The problem is poor threat assessment in my opinion. I run big stompy decks. To new players, it's fucking awful to see an ulamog or a giant adephage or something. It reminds them that I can tap harder than they could at that given moment and as a result, I require more attention.That's pretty intuitive. Now, to an experienced player, I could have Ruic Thar, or an elesh norn with swiftfoot boots, and the entire situation is hilarious if they happen to have a single board wipe. Not only that, but big creatures are super susceptible to the "dies to removal" and "counter it" meme, even when they have evasion.

Combo, on the other hand, appears less significant. While I have some fuckhuge 6/6 double strike trample hexproof, they could have a seemingly dull board by comparison, but have a deadeye navigator in hand, or suddenly reanimate the parts that they need. The problem is that combo wins the game in one turn, and if you aren't familiar with the ways this is accomplished, you're going to undervalue their board state.

In my group, this becomes a problem because I might have a beefed up Uril packed with auras, but jackass has a revilark in his yard and a blood artist on the field. I know I should knock him out, but to other players, it looks like I'm being "unfair" to the player with the worse boardstate.

All and all, it's a very silly affair and I wish I had a better playgroup.

What the fuck is degenerate about gifts ungiven in commander? Tutors are available in every colour anyway.

That's the price for running a monocolor archetype. It's the same reason why graveyardfags have no room to bitch when someone bojuka bogs them: every archetype has a weakness.

But who said anything about playing monoW? Iona is only viable in EDH and there are plenty of better reanimation targets for this format.

>Blue
>Tutor your four combo pieces
>Doesn't matter which ones go in the grave because you're playing the recursion color

It's a one card combo. Here's an example: Reveillark, Body double, Karmic guide, Mirror entity.

Also a strong as fuck reanimation enabler. The card is banned for a good reason. It's even restricted in Vintage.

Iona is a solid choice for a reanimation target, assuming you're already running white. I mean really, what else would you pick? I can see something like Elesh Norn, or Felidar Sovereign, but by the time we get to Sun Titan Iona is looking better and better all the time.

she does nothing to shit that's already on the board and will fuck over one person most times. Jin-Gitaxias will do what she does better in the early game

>hey have the advantage of never needing to color fix

not really, if you are having problems with color fixing, you might want to play Uno.

>That's the price for running a monocolor archetype.
there is already a steep price for playing this archtype, no need for more.

>nobody plays 1v1 edh
Really?

Everyone i know plays 1v1 edh, as well as multiplayer, and builds their deck to do both.

We use the 1v1 banlist as well as the multiplayer banlists though.

I agree with that user.

Those cards should have been designed considering your starting life to begin with, not all formats start at 20.

Either a functional wotc errata (unlikely), or strongly consider banning them.

REMOVE DEADEYE remove deadeye

so your playgroup got into edh last week?
if they didn't they are straight up idiots and have no excuse if you play more often than once every few months
I myself am a quite unexperienced player, haven't even played edh for a year yet and magic as a whole for about 3 years but not very frequently and only 60 card kitchen table format
last summer a friend of mine stomped me with his red burn deck using gelectrode and i was amazed by that
nowdays I play about once a week and as soon as I see Reveillark/Deadeye/Jitte/Rings/any other combo piece, that player becomes the biggest threat on the table and either gets taken down or his combo piece gets exiled

if you can't deal with iona you should propably stop playing magic

We've banned maybe 3 cards, and unbanned most of the list. Bullshit combo's are fun. That's what I meant. Sorry. That could have been clearer

the only card im surprised isnt banned yet is creature teferi, RC always talk about "unfun" cards but leaves one of the easiest lockout cards besides painters servant around

Git gud

Sol Ring's problem isn't mitigated because it's cheap, the problem is that everyone uses it and whoever has one in their opening hand rockets off to a dominant start that more often than not lets them control the game. I run a non-colour Karn deck, and even I think it should be banned. Well perhaps not banned, but as every EDH deck ever uses it, a gentleman's agreement can be reached to put something more interesting in.

You could easily ban it and everyone would be impacted equally. It would be a completely fair banning as everyone would lose it from their deck and it would prevent one of the main reasons games go immediately lop sided from turn one.

Other cards that I'm surprised aren't banned include Consecrated Sphinx, which costs six but the value you get off it is absurd, especially if you abuse it in just about any way that blue can by 'gifting' someone else a card draw.

Scour from existence
Unstable obelisk

Crush of Tentacles and Devastation Tide come to mind

My mono-color stuff is mostly half-colorless so Iona is kind of a whatever it she gets out, I'll just Ulamog or Duplicant her or something, no big deal.

I use it as a one of,with multiple tutors and card draw,it wins me lots of games,also Duress

>What is discard?

As a filthy combo fag
>>FUCKING THIS

Every time I come to an EDH thread, its always endless bitching and moaning

>all these people wanting to ban Sol Ring/Mana Crypt/Mana Vault
>all these people wanting to ban Sorin/Magister Sphinx/Tree of Perdition
Why is Veeky Forums so bad at magic?

Iona is played in Legacy Reanimator.

so your argument is
>nu-uh!
and
>muh opinions