EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Creature Abilities Edition

Link to last thread: >RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/loony-wizard-experiments/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07-16-tassy/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-01-16-kalemne-smash/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/in-progress-zada/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-extreme-sub-50-budget-edh/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>36 land
>4 mana rocks

Is this enough for a self mill/reanimator deck?

I'd go up a few manarocks at least. I usually start at 38 lands and 8 rocks and adjust from there.

I kind of want to mess around with commander on Cockatrice. Been an MTG player since Worldwake, kinda fell off after RTR block. Kept track of new sets, attended the occasional prerelease or draft.

Heard about Endrek Sahr/Assault Suit, want to abuse that. Don't want to be stuck with mono-black though. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking G/B Meren or even Mazirek, preferably some kind of recursion/sacrifice theme.

I like the idea of Mazirek/Varolz/Endrek Sahr/Deadbridge Chant/Ashnod or Phyrexian Altar.

Use XMage, not Cuckatrice.

Nice trips. Dude you are crazy.

You're fine man. I guarantee thats plenty.

I like to start every deck at 40 lands and tweak from there. Never below 35, usually not above 50.

Creatures with activated abilities, you say, OP?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/loony-wizard-experiments/

From Kraj, with love.

Does xmage have the same control scheme/layout as trice/MWS?

Can someone give an opinion on my midrange Tasigur deck?

Things to cut or add maybe?

I don't know, but it does have a rules engine so players can't fuck up by not knowing how something works.

Posting like because I'm a dumbass

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07-16-tassy/

But that's half the fun.

How's deck editing? Is it based MWS tier or is is cockatrice garbage level?

I've never used either of those, but XMage deck editing is pretty straightforward. Just make sure you download the card images, unless you like blue rectangles.

Does it not have on-the-fly image downloading? Am I gonna have to download 50,000 images on a 2Mbps connection?GUESS I can try going to my gran's house and downloading onto a USB stick, but like...ech.

Against my best judgment, I want to play R/W.

For an all-out "turn sideways and fuck the consequences" kind of deck, would Iroas be the best choice?

Yeah, you would have to download them. I find it's worth it to have the game work so smoothly.

Is there at least some way to download them all at once? Preferably without duplicates for different editions.

Yeah, it has an autodownloader. You just click images, choose a source from the list, and it downloads for you. Wizards.com or whatever it is was the fastest source for me.

Which of these would be best with Karlov? Only enough room for 1

Also is Westville Abbey usable in Non W/B/x decks?

Thank fucking GOD.

It's still downloading via the launcher. so it'll be a while before I get to do anything.

I'd pick Westvale. Westvale is usable in any commander deck whose color identity includes Black. Any deck that does not include Black cannot play Westvale.

It does include different editions, though. Otherwise how are people supposed to pimp their imaginary decks?

Honestly, I think having to manually play it out is actually better. It forces you to actually learn the rulings and go through the motions which helps you become a better pilot. It also helps with loops/infinite combos, and games generally will play out faster if people know what they are doing instead of having to click a hundred times. Yea, you'll get retards who don't know how to play the game, but a dumbass on Xmage is just as shitty.

If it lets you pick which version you want to add, that is pretty cool.

What are the card filtering options like for deckbuilding? there must be some rudimentary search function beyond "name". Cockatrice uses a shitty logic-based search (and/or/not etc) while MWS used check-box based filtering; select parameters and uncheck any you do not wish to apply.

Yeah. eventually people on 'Trice either git gud or get fucked.

People on Cockatrice can easily cheat newer players out of wins, and even more experienced players can misunderstand phasing or world enchantments. You still have to play all the shit out on XMage, so I don't actually know what you're complaining about.

Endrek sahr and assault suit can't b abused, it causes a draw due to continuous triggers, kinda like palisade giant + darksteel plate + repercussion

There are lots of filters, and the basic search searches types and rules text as well. You can have cards appear as a list or as a visual stack of cards.

seriously? that sucks. you can still interrupt it with instant-speed mass sacrifice, but that's kind of lame.

based. MWS, I found, had a really good deckbuilding engine. If xmage is at least better than trice in that regard then I can see myself switching.

trice being full of retards arguing about pointless crap in chat is kind of a negative anyway.

Honestly how is that any different from assholes cheating newer players out of wins in paper magic? I think this is yet another good thing that players need to learn, how to call cheaters out on their shit. As well as learning how certain complex interactions play out on their own.

DID SOMEONE SAY ACTIVATED ABILITIES?
I LOVE ACTIVATED ABILITIES!

Reposting just once from last thread, if nobody bites I'll fuck off

Alright /edhg/, it's time for the deck I've been wanting for almost a year now.

Five color Zada. Led by Tazri, tutor Zada and play as normal. What are some top notch spells for her outside red? And any general tips on running 5-color? It's my first time going outside 3.

And before anyone suggests it, I don't want the nephelim - my playgroup is staunchly against them.

Well isn't that one nephilim still good In the 99?

Secret/Hidden Commanders are such a stupid fucking meme.

Literally Brand new to commander. Picked up a few boosters and the eldritch moon fat pack yesterday. How do I build a good commander deck? Not looking to drop more than $150 or so.

How many fetches and duels do you have?

Literally read the OP.

New to just commander? Or new to magic?

Boosters and fat packs are very unlikely to help you build a commander deck, but anyway the easiest way to start is to buy a precon and then replace the bad cards with good ones, you can definitely make one for $100-$150 that works

New to the whole thing.
What is a precon?

short for preconstructed deck, look for the WotC Commander products. There's Wedge, Enemy dual color, and mono colors available.

I'm not trying to tell you to fuck off but if you are new to MTG as a whole, EDH isn't a format I recommend jumping into for your very first time. The card interactions, special deckbuilding rules and the super deep card pool is going to confuse the shit out of you. If I were you, I would try and play regular 60 card formats first to help you understand basic card interactions and rulings. Make a standard deck out of the cards you got from your fatpack and boosters and go on from there.

Also, from now on, DO NOT BUY BOOSTERS. The only time you should ever buy booster parks ever is if you are drafting or playing sealed. Buy singles to get the cards you need, do not buy boosters in hopes that you will get the card you are looking for, it's a loosing proposition.

What new toys has EMN given for Prossh?

Offhand, I know about Hanweir Garrison, Emrakul's Evangel, Bedlam Reveler, Noosegraf Mob, Voldaren Pariah and Mirrorwing Dragon.

Did I miss anything?

I use Abbey in my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck and it has worked fine. It is more token based, so that helps.

Not sure how you plan to use it in Karlov though, besides maybe as some insurance against wipes. My vote is for campaign of vengeance.

So the XMage launcher won't download XMage.

Pre-constructed commander decks, they do them in cycles of 5

2011 tri color wedges are all amazing but were a very short print run and no longer worth the price
2013 tri color shards have busted commanders but the decks are kinda shit, excepting the prossh deck, still decently cheap
2014 mono color decks, they are all pretty good, the mono white one is the worst though
2015 enemy color pairs, mostly shit, decent commanders in GU GB and RU though

I don't really like any of those cards for a prossh deck except maybe emrakul's evangel

Those all seem pretty bad in Prossh

>Hanweir Garrison
Maybe, there are better lands to play.

>Emrakul's Evangel
There are better things to do with the kobolds.

>Bedlam Reveler
Shitty card to draw early, has no synergy with Prossh.

>Noosegraf Mob
Literal intropack rare. Overcosted as shit, slow, and why the fuck do you need to generate zombie tokens?

>Voldaren Pariah
I guess? Still better things to do with the tokens.

>Mirrorwing Dragon
You run overrun effects, not single pump spells. ZadaDragon has no place in the deck.

All of them, really?
Garrison is the three cost red creature that makes human tokens.

I built Prossh before he was degenerate and even after I didn't run the Food Chain combo, yes, all those cards you mentioned just aren't great.

see

Fuck, I was thinking about the land. Either way that creature is still bad in Prossh.

Endrehk Sahr + Assault Suit + Ashnod's Altar + Ancestral Statue

With Endrehk equipped with Assault Suit and Altar in play, cast Ancestral Statue

Get the 4 Zombies, sac 2 to Altar

Return Statue to hand

Win if you also have something that damages opponents / make opponents lose life when a creature ETBs or a creature dies

It takes a lot of work to set this up though

All of them

Personally I think emrakul's evangel isn't bad depending on your deck construction, it can be a decent way to get a bunch of fecundity triggers or mana echoes mana, but otherwise all those cards are bad in prossh

You don't need the Suit. You can just sac the 4 Thrulls, float 2 mana per "cycle" and use that to cast a massive Drain Life effect.

You can additionally try Mirror Entity as your second Ally

You can check out popular Zada cards on EDHrec if your strategy is about cranking him out. Hatred seems good.

You don't need assault suit in this combo, in fact it doesn't really help at all

If you have blood artist or purphoros in play, etc, you just win with ancestral statue Ashnod's altar endrek sahr

Or if you have no damage, it makes infinite colorless mana

you can just sac the THRULLS (not zombies) before you get to 7, which you would have to do anyways even with assault suit because endrek sahr's sac clause would trigger constantly until you go below 7 THRULLS and you wouldn't be able to cast ancestral statue again until that ability wasn't constantly being put on the stack

I suppose if your entire goal is just to deal combat damage for shenanigans. I personally think you're better off playing someone like Brion Stoutarm and having Iroas in the 99 with some other unblockable support. That way you can still do your combat damage, but you can then throw creatures at other creatures and peoples faces with the added benefit of lifelink.

Iroas is cool because he's indestructible, although tajic is too and he's quite cool as well

I would say Aurelia is the best though, you play some aggressive creatures in the early turns and then when Aurelia comes down she has a massive effect the turn you play her

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-01-16-kalemne-smash/

Hasn't been updated for sOI+

Try redownloading the launcher.

Oh shit, sorry, especially with the zombies thing.

I guess I desperately wanted Suit to worked.

HOWEVER

I do find Suit to be helpful with Endrehk in general.

I mean it's possible to use assault suit, just remember that if you ever have more than seven thrulls with endrek sahr assault suit, you have to respond to the sac trigger at instant speed and either kill endrek sahr or kill assault suit or somehow unequip the suit or sac thrulls until you have less than seven

If you forget this and end up with seven or more thrulls plus endrek in suit and have no way to do one of those things, the game ends in a draw

Why has the Endrek+Assault Suit infinite loop been coming so often in recent EDH threads?

There aren't that many unique posters in these threads

Which would make you think it'd been discussed enough to have it stop coming up

I want to add Oldlamog in my semi-goodstuff Sidisi deck. Which creature should I cut out?

Archfiend of Depravity
Bloodgift Demon
Burnished Hart
Butcher of Malakir
Chainer, Dementia Master
Crypt Ghast
Dark Impostor
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Dread
Erebos, God of the Dead
Graveborn Muse
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Hex Parasite
Leaden Myr
Magus of the Coffers
Mikaeus
Palladium Myr
Sheoldred
Vampire Nighthawk
Withered Wretch

cut bloodgift demon for oldlamog, then cut oldlamog for kozilek.

>trying to find a commander
>if the commander looks fun, it's weak
>if the commander looks good, it's boring
>if the commander looks fun and good, it's in colors i really dislike

i'm guessing norin isn't good outside meme decks either

Hex parasite is the lowest impact and most situational of all those, kinda weird to cut a 1 drop for a 12 drop, but yeah

Also newlamog seems as good or better than oldlamog because in my experience you don't get to swing, you only get the cast trigger

Norin isn't the worst choice, he's good for triggering a bunch etb effects, but yeah I'd still say he's weak

Your problem is probably that you equate good cards with boring cards, once you break that retarded noob fag attitude you'll be fine

>playan Yore-Tiller because my group allows the Nephilim as generals
>Flamerush Rider also attacking
>stack triggers so Flamerush triggers after Yore-Tiller, pull Master of Cruelties from the yard, put Master of Cruelties token in
>Behind the Scenes out against Timmy fatty decks
>slam 2 players down to 1 life and kill them
>group gets turbo salty and bans Master of Cruelties

I guess card draw trumps indestructible beater. I'm still sorta leaning towards Ula for that reason though.

I actually have Newlamog on my Kruphix deck as one of my few means of destruction on it. A coworker of mine out of the blue gave me a foiled version of him.

Aurelia or Iroas. Run the other in the 99.
If you go with Tajic as the commander, put Pariah in the deck for laughs.

yeah sorry i'm not one of those players who just love to play solitaire with their gay ass build-a-pillow-fort derevis and talk about my little pony for 3 hours

so far the best ideas i got for a deck is a krenko deck that plays the exact same literally every time, an edric deck that is in colors that i loathe and an erebos deck that is just "play mtg lol but hey u can draw some extra cards if u run out of them"

i wish there was a explosive aggro deck like krenko but maybe not completely linear, repetitive and glass cannon-y

Dumb question: can I use Dread Return's Flashback cost to sac a creature that I want to reanimate?

No you can't, you choose the target for dread return before you pay the cost

I have no sympathy for you, you lack creativity and have no personal playstyle or interest in magic it seems

If Derevi stax is the only "good" deck you can think of, you should explore your options more

Also

>having colors you refuse to play

This is just a dumb 5 year old's attitude, if you had good taste you would be able to appreciate all 5 colors of magic, their balance and contrast is the essence of the game

i won't be lectured about my tastes in a children's card game. i will tear you apart and dip your balls in my mouth, bitch

>i wish there was a explosive aggro deck like krenko but maybe not completely linear, repetitive and glass cannon-y
>I want an aggro deck that isn't so, y'know, aggressive

kalemne is strong resilient and cheap to cast.

>I will...dip your balls in my mouth

I'm flattered but no thanks

>cards been stuck in a USPS sorting facility in Louisiana for almost 6 business days now
What the fuck is the point of 2-day shipping

OINTA

Make me you little bitch. PROTIP: you can't. I spent six years fighting in the octagon and appraising rare bottles of flavored malt liquor. Nobody is going to tell me they have better taste or fighting prowess than doth, and I'm putting you on the blacklist for anonymous as we speak. Don't bother getting up from your seat, lulz-type operators are already triangulating your location. It's too late you little shit.

>resilient

What?

So just picked this guy up because a friend wants me to play edh. Do I just play some small guys, some who can't be blocked, pump them, and then swing?

Prob new people find the interaction and think that the suit works like it doesn't.
White's not the worst though, it's a meme. Blue is antisynergistic garbage and you probably could build a more synergistic deck with hitting "random card" in gatherer 99 times in a row.
At least the white deck has some good staples and nice cards, where the blue has what, the 4 dollar teferi? Even the black one was kind of bad.
I would say that out of the monocolour precons the red and white ones got what the colours deserved, at least for once.
Green was middle-ground, it wasn't terrible or anything, but pretty much losed to wrath.

i'll turn your fingers into spaghetti if you don't step down right now

I survived 9 turns after being sorin markov'd last time i played kalemne and i swung lethal on the guy who did it before the game ended. Kalemnes only weakness is she dies to removal and she can be pushed out as early as turn 2. If you drop her and a sword of colors you can just straight win off of two plays.

Its a really simple deck

Play lots of token making stuff and small creatures, recursion for the board wipes, and a few choice cards to take advantage of the +1/+1 counters, like champion of lambholt, and stuff that uses counters as a resource, like triskelion or devoted Druid and such

Definitely seems like a shitshow of a meta you got there, but that's beside the point

I just meant that there's nothing especially resilient about kalemne, the fact that you can recast her makes her no different from any other commander, and there's nothing about her that's makes your strategy especially strong against disruption

Swords + double strike is a good combo though no doubt

No, you play nothing but utility creatures and some enchantments and counterspells and do nothing until you get to play Sage of Taking Forever.
Seriously though, From his abilities, he's pretty braindead and leads to super cookie cutter strategies. Just remember to get Vorel and Mindless Automaton, among other cards that make the deck not stand out.

Zameck guildmage and Novijen sages are kinda cool with newzuri

You're totally right, I wasn't remembering right, I just looked at the monoblue precon list and it was maybe the worst precon of all time

I actually bought the monowhite one at the time and it was decent, you're right, I think the mono green one was superior though, also the daretti deck is very good

I feel like the mono white one lost to wrath even harder than the mono green one

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/in-progress-zada/

This guy again. I think the deck's in a good place to begin testing, and then I'll see if I want to change anything. Just wanted to thank the anons who offered advice and their experiences with Zada to help me along.

Tainted Strike
Berserk
Confront the Unknown
Defiant Strike
Leap
Refresh
Shadow Rift
Shelter
Slip Through Space
Spiritualize
Ajani's Presence
Invigorate
Become Immense
Enshrouding Mist
Gaea's Might
Might of Alara
Hunter's Prowess
Inner Calm, Outer Strength
Might of the Masses
Mortal's Resolve
Strength in Numbers
Swell of Growth
Banishing Knack
Retraction Helix
Boros Charm
Cauldron Haze
Commando Raid
Undying Evil
Wings of Velis Vel
Withstand Death
If you can afford it, then Riding the Dilu Horse
Just combine with all the best token generation you can find.

A Sultai party list with group hug, stax, and other "each player" type cards along with other interactive cards like Fact or Fiction with Tasigur at the helm. Yes or no?

it only triggers on cast, I'm not sure how him + assault suit would be a draw.

What do you guys think of this build?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-extreme-sub-50-budget-edh/

How good is it outside of pulling off the OHKO?

I'm no judge, put I think it's because his second ability checks every time sba are checked, and the loop feeds into itself.

Infinite loop if you don't have a sac outlet to get down to less than 7 Thrulls. If you don't, you'd have to sac Endrek, but Assault Suit doesn't let you, so the sac trigger keeps being put on the stack and shut down by the "can't be sac'd" clause of the Suit

Ok, so I bumped into an old friend earlier, and apparently he's working at the LGS that popped up a few months ago. He said that EDH is huge there, which is awesome.

Here's the problem.

I've played there before with one of the guys from my main group, and it didn't end well. We're in a much more Cutthroat level of play than the people there. Like, I was talking with my friend, and it sounded like Weenie Hut Jr tier. I'm all for having fun, but I'm talking about "lol so randum xDd" decks with no wincon.

Sorry for the blog, but I'm legitimately torn between playing more and wading into a cess pool or not playing at all.

>Riding the Dilu Horse
>The spell’s effect has no duration. The targeted creature gets +2/+2 until the game ends or it leaves the battlefield