Poke'mon

In a poke'mon game, what would be the best way to have poke'mon having personalities outside of the Trainer's direct control?

For those familiar with Pendragon, I was considering having a vastly simplified version of that system. Either simplifying it to a a handful of traits or having you just take on two or three definitive aspects for each poke'mon.

In this case, what would be the easiest way for the trainer to then influence the behavior of the poke'mon who had unfavorable personalities?
I'd rather not have a whole separate system for earning and spending, like, "bond experience," or something.

Well, in general, the character of a mon is the work of the pc and the DM together. One lays the groundwork, as of the initial encounter, and then together you must fine tune it. Though details that set them apart do help. Poor Squint the slightly retarded ekans. He thought he was a dog.

For example, had a character with a joltik once. Useful mon, by the way, would recommend for all your little bug mon needs. Anyway, in the introduction, I had the little joltik in my guy's hair, chirping happily and roaming about, then on meeting another pc and getting an orange hopping on it and skitter-rolling it over to their pokemon to share. Kept getting stuff like that, and she was a mind and motherly bug to all the group. Meanwhile, a buddy made their eevee pampered, aloof, and a bit of a prima donna due to how he acted with them. That just grew off that.

...yes, well, valid, but you're grossly misinterpreting my intents. I want to mechanically represent the poke'mons behavioral quirks. Winging it is fun, to be sure, and the player/GM could still come up with reasons for why the poke'mon behave as they do.

they already do that with personality traits. Hell I know this and I don't even particularly like Pokemon on the table top, just go play pokemon PTU

> just play that other game
It's a pretty safe inference that someone probably doesn't like an existing system(s) if they're concocting an alternative.

Stop typing poke'mon you autist. It's just pokemon.

I know you have to type with one finger annon, but it's been poke'mon for 20 years.

Actually, it's Pokémon. It's an accented word, not an apostrophe.

Were I on a computer, or knowledgeable of alt-codes for unique characters, I'd probably have done it properly for at least the title.

This user is most correct.

We know it's hard typing with one finger, but google is only a few clicks away.

It's 0233 for future reference

> thinks the thumb is a finger

What kind of monkey are you? Who clicks the left mouse button with their thumb?

Uhh... There is an separate button for àccénts, jüst lïke thërë ïs för ümläüts.

Also, on a phone, you can hold the virtual button to make the choices clear.

The more you know.

What? What does a mouse have to do with phone typing?

Mine's got the keyboard and then numbers and punctuation on a second tab; no alt/advanced characters menu that I know of.

>you can hold the virtual button to make the choices clear.

Do you mean appear when you say clear, or do you just have no idea what you're saying?

Holding down he button just makes the keys bigger anyway, so clear would work, but repeating 'makes it clear,' doesn't add up as a response to me stating I have no special character keyboard.

First, your keyboard a shit.

Second:
Make Clear: Verb. To explain or illustrate.

Again, google is pretty easy, phone or not.

>Not just writing pokemon
Pretentious faggot go kill yourself

Easy. A trainer's Pokémon (See how easy that is?) are played by the other players.

>mechanically represent personality traits
>for 6+ characters per player
No, stop. You're clearly autistic, but this is unreasonable.

A: how often do you think anyone will have all six of their pokemon out at once
B: Every other pokemon game wants you to track ten times the shit I'm planning on asking players to track
C: How do you play any RPG if you can't remember the personalities off of more than a dozen characters the top of your head?

>How do you play any RPG if you can't remember the personalities off of more than a dozen characters the top of your head?
>play any RPG
Where the hell do you think we are?

Does anyone want to talk about PTU? Are defense-based Pokemon as strong as they appear, considering they get both evasion and damage reduction? Is it possible to make a sweeper work?

>special pikachu edition
You mean Pokemon Yellow Version, right?

Speed Sweepers can totally wreck house. Defense pokemon can always get taken out by Debuffs since they typically use non-stat evasion.