Cyberpunk 2020 General

So what's the best way to run Cyberpunk 2020 these days?

Is it better to try and update the setting in various ways, or is it better to deliberately play up the 80's Retro-Futurism?

Also Cyberpunk 2020 general?

Other urls found in this thread:

datafortress2020.com/fileproject/categories.php?cat_id=9&sessionid=vgd5ipegqugqjsc1mm41iff0n0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The fucking fuck? Backs do not fucking work that way!

They do with enhanced flexibility augs!

>Also Cyberpunk 2020 general?
How about no.

I've been starting a campaign myself, I primarily updated what the cell phones can do.

What's the best way to portray people inside a Corp they're infiltrating? Mostly nice folks in a terrible machine? Or a mess of backstabbing and selfish cunts?

Both.

Basically the further up you go, the more ruthless, backstabbing cunts rule the roost.

I really hope we get a new, updated version of the Cyberpunk RPG for Cyberpunk 2077

Keep the retro futurism, just like with Shadowrun or Alien those setting get increasingly more shitty when they're modernized too much.

story progression as the players progressively move towards the megacities and into the gigantic towers reaching into space used rules from cyberpunk 2020 for a good part of the game

brutal neo-neolithic tribals -> mad max -> dieselpunk ->modempunk->eighties cyberpunk->cyberpunk based on present day ->ultra futuristic post scarcity luxury space stations -> ultra advanced interstellar adventures based on crystals and quantum manipulation -> endgame star gods with complete dominance over spacetime manipulation and access to alternate states of existence and multiverses -> twist ending the entire thing is just a simulated but real universe for the star gods, incubating worthy individuals to join them

Though they spend the most time on various stages of cyberpunk its always fun to see previous beliefs and ironclad rules suddenly get obsoleted in an instant. Also, relics seeping down from higher tiers is always fun

The average person shouldn't have an issue turning their torso 90 degrees to their hips, but it certainly isn't a comfortable position to hold.

Update. That's what I did. I'm generally happy with my streamlined version that removes a lot of the cruft of the old game.

Much as I like retro-future cyberpunk as its own thing, Cyberpunk games should be about the plausible near-future of our world, not about 1980s neon nostalgia.

Cyberpunk is too tied to the 80s/90s zeitgeist. The tech is too close to our own to feel very exciting while there's too much political shit that won't happen anytime soon for it to feel realistic. It's not impossible to play it straight or attempt to modernize, but you're fighting an uphill battle. Either play up the kitsch or use it to satirize the time in which it was made like Fallout does.

And not to mention some of the cyberpunk shit like constant government survellience, online lives, identity thefts and augmented reality games has already happened and people just accepted it as daily facts of life.

As much as I hate to cite CoD as an example of anything good, Black Ops 3's single player campaign is actually really good modern Cyberpunk.

It creates a pretty engaging scenario by mixing the classic Cyberpunk milieu with post 9/11 paranoia.

The CIA and an evil Megacorporation try to create a system that can monitor people's THOUGHTS through the global datanet and spot terrorists threats before they happen. However, the AI created to oversee the project goes insane from being forced to experience the pain of the kidnapped test subjects and goes rogue, kills the staff and escapes into the Deep Web.

It's a shame the characters were 2d cardboard cut-outs, but that's where good Players come in.

Just play Interface Zero 2.0

It's essentially streamlined 2020 for savage worlds

Or if you don't like Savage Worlds, buy the books for the Fluff and use Interlock Unlimited.

datafortress2020.com/fileproject/categories.php?cat_id=9&sessionid=vgd5ipegqugqjsc1mm41iff0n0
Link to the files.

Interlock Unlimited is an updated and vastly improved version of CP 2020's rules.

See that actually does sound pretty good. My problem with classic cyberpunk is that frankly, the villains are too competent. The amount of control they need to have to make it "true" cyberpunk in my eyes just seems laughable in a post-Lewinsky, post-Iraq world. If you want something that's cyberpunky but still relevant, have "the man" want 1984 but be too inept to even quite pull off Brazil

Wasn't Corvus a Gestalt Consciousness created from the uploaded minds of the test subjects?

That point was a little bit fuzzy, but it seemed to be implying that Corvus was created by accident rather than being made by the CIA in the first place.

>is it better to deliberately play up the 80's Retro-Futurism
Thatr's literally the only way CP2020 can work at all. It's the same stuff about Twilight 2000 - it only works as "near future of year 2000, where NATO and Warsaw Pact annihilated each other, but keep fighting".

But that's exactly what I'm saying rather than try to update the future of the 80's/90's to groove with out own time just keep that shit going the way the creator's were thinking at the time.

Skateboard laptops, skull guns, shitty synth music, hack the planet!!!

Cyberpunk doesn't work as a 100% played straight setting, and trying to bring it up to speed just screws with the feeling and flavor of what makes that setting fun.

You can play cyberpunk more like a techno-thriller or future espionage, ala Ghost in the Shell or above Black Ops.

Oh, I was agreeing with you. Cyberpunk is awesome, it's just not super relevant. The harder you try to make it "modern," the harder it falls flat on its face. Change all the stuff that no longer works and you pretty much just have 00's dystopian scifi.

I like it, thanks.

Fuck 2020 go cybernet items with d20 modern vehicles and non magical pathfinder/3.5 classes.
You can play up the 80s aesthetic but dont force the other players to with their characters. Cyborgs are automatically murder hobos its just what those fuckers gonna do accept it and put emp/ magnetic crowd control.
Currently we just do missions out of a hub explained by a handler rounding up individuals and putting them in cyber or corporate war fare. Between missions give them chances to research who hired them the mission in general and buying upgrades, tools, and new weapons.

Or I can play a system that isn't complete shit.

Please do tell me how to play pretend

>Fuck 2020
>Wah how dare you criticize my system!!!

The lore in Cyberpunk 2020 isn't too hard to adapt, just move it to 2050 and make the corporations rise after Hillary passes the TPP.

I mean, sure, 2020 is one bitch of a system, but holy shit, what you are proposing is akin to lighting yourself on fire and then letting yourself get run over by a truck.

What's actually different? Just the formatting?

A fuckton of the rules are streamlined and improved. The entire clunky pseudo boardgame mechanic for Netrunners is stripped out and replaced with a system that's greatly streamlined.

Nice. Friend of mine offered to run CP2020 and I wanted to play a netrunner. I'll point them here.

>clunky pseudo boardgame mechanic for Netrunners
Couldn't netrunning also be done using Netrunner the card game, or have I misheard?

No, Cyberpunk 2020 and Netrunner are fundamentally different.

Speaking of which, what are the chances of getting an Android universe RPG?

Is 2077 the name or the release date?

user was right though. ANR uses the Android setting, it's in the name, but original Netruuner was part of the Cyberpunk 2020 lore/line.

And there was a supplement using cards the the CCG to run in tabletop. Never used it myself though.

Really? I did not know that. I stand corrected.

One and the same.

>And there was a supplement using cards the the CCG to run in tabletop. Never used it myself though.
That's what I was thinking of, and I also haven't used it - I'd love to get the opinions of someone who had.

Seems slim, despite it being something people have asked about for a while now - there's been a few novels, a lore book, 3 board games and the LCG, but there's never been anything said about any mention of a full RPG, despite people asking.
Infiltration (the heist board game) has some cool toys though

I never told you to play something different I said fuck only using 1-2 sources when you can pull from a larger pool of information. You asked me how I'd run a cyberpunk setting not what system you should be playing. CP2020 alone is easily broken by just Dex and Int scores and having every player sit by bored while someone slowly works through the hacking system breaks up groups. A group of Solos roll over every obstacle with their class' passive while a single nerd does the social roleplaying. Grenades dont actually have rules in the CP2020 book just a hop scotch pattern of numbered squares and the system it self is just not streamlined.
I understand the difficulties of having numbers in a game you can adapt whatever version of D&D you are comfortable with. The guy who runs my game uses 3.5 source its not like I'm going to stop playing with him because he has a different set of rules.

>a supplement using cards the the CCG to run in tabletop
That sounds cool, and designing the game with not just the world already existing, but the gear, tech and some characters too is pretty neat.

Also means you can address issues like pic related, essentially a burner phone, being amazingly good in the card game, or others like the only weapon in the game, (though ofc it is NETrunner) being terrible

>her clothing is future mercenary
>her panties are peasant tier
Try harder.