/aSoIaFG/ General

Dragonslayer edition

A thread for discussing the setting of George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels and all related traditional gaming.

Possible topics of discussion include the novels themselves, Green Ronin's licensed rpg, the card and board games by Fantasy Flight Games, general aSoIaF lore and theories, artwork, HBO's adaptation 'Game of Thrones' and the computer rpg, as well as the Telltale series.

A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
>mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/SIFRP

The Lands of Ice and Fire (Maps)
>mediafire.com/folder/q5a5zbkb30uxo/TLoIaF

A Game of Thrones: The Living Card Game
-Tutorial, Rules and Errata
>fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=10&esem=4
-Card Spoilers
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html
-Deckbuilder
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/gameofthrones/game-of-thrones-deck-builder

Other urls found in this thread:

paste2.org/4WyENFej
awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/War_of_the_Five_Kings#The_Crowning_of_the_Five_Kings
paste2.org/DHW160Bf
wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Vocabulary
rpg.uplink.fi/heraldry/?template=main
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previously on /asoiaf/

Post NPC houses you've made for campaigns that you'll never play!

I've been faffing around with a noble house I've used for OC ideas without actually thinking they could work in ASoIaF.

The idea is they're some kind of minor Northern house with strong ancestral ties to the First Men, and part of their mythos is the founder was a mighty warrior who BTFO'd a bunch of Others with an ancient greataxe. The axe is long since disappeared. I figured that could be a great personal motivating for a PC from that house; find the axe, remove evil.

Can we start a game, user?

A small house in the the Reach. The house was taken over by one of Aegon's followers who married the daughter of the late lord. The guy wanted to change the coat of arms from a Beehive on a green field with a argent rose on top to a Black shadowcat on a dark purple field and the house words from "Good and honest work" to "Swift death to the unworthy".

However his friends conviced him to keep the family coat of arms and words for the sake of peace which he reculantly did. He spent the rest of his life refering to his wife as the "cow" and mockingly used the words "We do sow" as house name till his death.

I'd love to.

I'd put them as one of the bigger hill clans personally, but that sounds like a cool backstory.

I've got a favorite of mine that came about when I was randomly rolling houses and making heraldry while bored.

After the Last Storm, when Orys Baratheon's men were taking control of the Stormlands, one of his envoys came upon a solitary tower on an island in the river Slayne. Due to a miscommunication when asking which house it belonged to and being told it was the tariff house, the envoy made the customs master of the tower swear fealty to Aegon and Orys and inadvertently created House Tarryf of Redford.

Due to their naturally favorable position(and some pretty lucky rolls) they flourished under the Baratheons, and the tolls they collected financed many projects for both their overlords and themselves. A small castle was built beside the river, connected by a long arching walkway to the original toll tower, and a village has sprung up around the area with taverns and inns for the ship traffic that has to stop to pay fees.
The lords of House Tarryf, not originally having been full nobility, remain distant from many of their more influential neighbors, more at home in the bawdy streets of Redford and hunting game in the marshes of Redbrook Vale than hobnobbing at feasts and tournaments. Much of their riches are spent improving their lands rather than buying Myrish silks and the local beekeepers produce a mead pleasant enough to not waste money on wines from Dorne or the Arbor.
They are steadfastly loyal to House Baratheon, and constantly watch their lands for any signs of smuggling or misdeed.

>They are steadfastly loyal to House Baratheon

So did they go for Renly or fall in line with the Mannis?

The game was to be right before the Greyjoy rebellion, but I believe they would go for Renly and Storm's End. Though if they did declare for Stannis they could put a chokehold on all river traffic and be a nasty thorn in Renly's side.

I forgot to add that they were for a long time beholden to House Grandison but betrayed them when Grandison followed Fel and Cafferen in staying loyal to the Targaryens during Robert's Rebellion.

What would make them favor Renly over Stannis?

They like flashy colors?
And honestly, Stannis was never very popular or influential due to his rigid personality.

Not him, but Renly actually did get more support than Stannis at the beginning. Mostly had to do with the fact Renly wasn't an anti-social sperg who fed people to a bonfire because his mistress said so.

Granted, most of the people supporting Renly were Tyrells and Tyrell sympathizers because buttsex. IIRC most of the Stormlands rallied around Stannis.

Stannis has the charisma of a lobster. While everyone actually liked Renly.

I think the Stormlands went mainly for Renly until he died.

That and he had been out of the region, being lord of Dragonstone. Renly was kind of technically more their lord as he ruled Storm's End and controlled the Stormlands.

Even Ned fucking Stark secretly admitted Renly was a much more palatable option. But he accepted Stannis as the rightful successor because that was the law.

Not even Stannis wanted Stannis to be king.

Renly was the Lord Paramount of the Stormlands and Lord of Storm's End. As such, the Stormlords were his direct bannermen.

Posting my alternate Westeros for our group game for shits and giggles since I'm on my break and can't think of anything better to do.
The overall theme was that of a cold war of influence and small-scale feuds and battles rather then a kingdom-shattering five-way war.
>The King: Aurion Targaryen, First of His Name, son of Jaehaerys II. A relatively popular king who is reasonably successful at his job, but despite his good intentions is somewhat overshadowed by the next two powerful people in the kingdom.
>The Good Queen: Rhaella Targaryen. The King's first cousin, and extremely popular with the people for her youthful looks and generous nature. Despite her saintly public image, Rhaella is highly ambitious and on occasion subtly manipulative, resenting the influence the Hand has over her husband and quietly attempts to undermine him with influence and words. Not precisely evil or cruel, but her ambition is occasionally less then beneficial.
>The Black Hand: Lord Saul Darklyn of Duskendale. Squired with the King from a young age, Lord Darklyn is perhaps the King's oldest and greatest friend. Thanks to his underhanded and unchivalrous methods as well as his reputation of being extremely ruthless when crossed, he is generally much less popular then the Queen. Unlike the Queen his ambition revolves entirely around ensuring his oldest friend and liege remain in power. Seeing the Queen as undermining His Grace's authority for her own ambitions, he maintains a subtle conflict of influence with her in the Seven Kingdoms. One of his favored agents is Ser Alistair Darke, the so-called "Knight of Shadows", a PC.
>Westerlands: Lord Richard Lannister, called "Lionheart". A popular lord who is loyal to the king. A strong lover of martial pursuits such as jousting and tourneys, less so of more direct rule. While he is a competent ruler, his wife Cecilia Reyne is often though of as the person who does most of the actual work of managing the Westerlands.
Continued

Those lands technically would've belonged to Stannis, right? But Robert decided to give it to Renly instead, and Stannis got Dragonstone.

They belonged to Robert who gave Dragonstone to Stannis and Stormlands to Renly.

Part of Stannis's story is he routinely gets the shittiest jobs you can give someone of his status because even if he hates it he'll still do it. It's the same thing with his quest for the throne. The guy doesn't want to be king. He doesn't want to wage a war. He just wants people to let him be so he can sit around by himself. The guy fucking hates people, and his daughter and maybe Davos are the only ones in the world he sincerely cares about seriously fuck you Dan and Dave.

But legally he *has* to be king and his autism won't let him abdicate it to someone else.

which was a bit foolish and a bit pragmatic

pragmatic because:
>Renly is good with the courts, he knows how to charm vassals and inspire love
>Stannis is the more stern individual who is more suitable for keeping the Narrow Sea lords (previous Targ loyalists) loyal to the Crown through hard, just rule, plus he would be the defender of the Narrow Sea with the Royal Fleet in the case of a Targaryen invasion, a job Renly would not have been suited for

foolish because:
>all the things related to this choice that ended up happening in the war of the five kings

Actually he gave Dragonstone to Stannis as petty revenge for Stannis failing to capture the Targ children. Dragonstone is a really shitty place to live.

>The North: Lord Byron Stark, called "Blackwolf". Well-respected in his home kingdom for his strong and unshakable hold over and otherwise fiercely independent kingdom, Blackwolf is almost universally disliked elsewhere in Westeros for his icy and mirthless demeanor. It is often said that when caught between a Northern snowstarm and Lord Byron's wrath that one should walk into the storm, "for it would have more mercy then Blackwolf would". He has a relatively lack of ambition politically speaking, but resists threats to his authority over the North with ruthless efficiency. Something of a political wildcard.
>The Iron Islands: Lord Dagon Greyjoy. Third son of the previous Lord Reaper of Pyke, Dagon was unlikely to inherit and thus focused more on his hobbies, which included education under his Maester. Despite this scholarly bent he was a successful sailor and raider of regions outside Westeros, excelling most at his studies of economics and warfare. When battle took one elder brother and sudden illness took another, Dagon inherited his father's title. Surprising many, he's proven to be an alarming ruthless ruler, frequently showing himself willing to kill his own people to maintain control. Politically he's known as a reformer, trying to force the Ironborn to "modernize" but seems shockingly willing to resort to acts of intense brutality. By rumor he once claimed that he'd "drag his people kicking and screaming into the modern world even if I've to hack their feet off to do it". His notable first act when coming into power was his butchery of a branch of House Goodbrother for their continual acts of subtle rebellion, followed by the slaughter of ANOTHER House he suspected of fermenting the rebellion. When asked why, he claimed "punished once a lesson taught, punished twice a lesson remembered".

Are you sure about that? Was that actually Bobby B's reasoning or is that just the reason Stannis made up for himself?

Feels a little out of character, because as far as I remember Robert was far more assblasted about what the Mountain did to Princess Elia and her children. That was part of why he never got along well with Tywin, among other reasons.

The "petty revenge" reason is a story told only by Stannis. Stannis feels slighted by so many things, and rarely feels grateful. Yes, it may seem like a slight to him, but that may not have been intended.
Stannis's belief that Robert gave Stannis Dragonstone to slight him is as believable as Robert's story that Rhaegar was a vicious rapist (though I doubt he was a total Prince Charming either).

However, I do believe Stannis was right in Robert slighting him in choosing Ned to be his new Hand after Jon Arryn died.

Everyone shits on Stannis be it instory or outside (D&D) Got to feel bad for him.

While I can see why Stannis would be a little bothered by Robert choosing Ned over him, I don't think it was an intentional insult.

I get the impression Robert got along with Ned much better than he ever did with his brothers. Renly was charismatic and likable yeah, but when you got down to brass tax he was kind of a pussy. Stannis, on the other hand, is a joyless, misanthropic sperg who didn't like being around his brother or people in general.

Ned was also a pretty shrewd and stone-faced individual, but he was still capable of some warmth. He had most of Stannis's harsh mannerisms but wasn't nearly so baleful about it. Ned also had a sort of charisma to him; not as magnetic as Renly's but he never really made people feel like he resented their presence. He really was the objectively better choice over the other Baratheons. So between that and the fact it's pretty obvious Ned was Robert's closest friend, I think anyone should understand why Ned became the Hand.

>he was kind of a pussy
Was he? Renly was a show-off, smarmy, arrogant, preening, sometimes downright bitchy and nasty, but I don't think he was a pussy.

Wasn't he always hunting and attending tournaments?

As far as I remember he never participated in those tournaments; he just liked to watch.

I mean, by virtue of his education and training he could probably take most lowborn men in a straight fight, but I doubt he was anywhere near Robert, Ned, or even Stannis in terms of martial prowess.

I guess I should say he was a pussy by the standards set by his contemporaries.

He wasn't really good at either of those, he attended tournaments for show.

Consider that about a good portion to half of the Stormlands supported Stannis even though Renly was lord because Renly spent all of his time in Highgarden flirting with Tyrells and not actually leading soldiers or doing much martial stuff. The Stormlands are martial as fuck, and so Stannis does fit the culture of the region.

Likewise, Renly's armor is described as gleaming and shining, in Gurm's style, we can take that to mean it was for show, not for war. He only even marched when Stannis did, Renly was content to try and starve out King's Landing, Stannis forced his hand.

What's the greatest tragedy to befall Planetos?

Tarryf lands sit along a stretch of the Slayne River, where it cuts through a line of low hills. The river splits around a few small islands and is much more shallow in this area, allowing for an easy crossing. The village of Redford sits astride several of these islands, the largest of which is home to the Toll Tower. Wooden bridges connect the islands of village to each other and the western bank. While not a proper port, these bridges double as docks for river boats to moor at. A multitude of small fishing vessels call the village home, and it is host to at least three taverns that reap a fair trade from the passing boats.
Holdflow castle is carved from the side of a hill on the eastern side of the river, and connects to the Tower via a crenellated, arched walkway rife with murder holes. A moat has been dug around the castle, diverting some of the river's water, and it has several water gates.
From the northwest, a small tributary, the Redbrook, flows down from the hills, creating a swampy area that is home to a large grove of Cypress trees and is rich with game. The tannins of the swamp give a distinctive red hue to the water as it flows into the Slayne.
To the east lies Brightmeadow, a verdant swathe of land covered in flowers, both wild and domesticated. An early lord of the house took an interest in beekeeping and cultivated the spread of these flowers, believing the honey they produced to have restorative properties. Ser Rolland Tarryf founded a mead distillery on the western edge of Brightmeadow, near a small hot spring. His son, Jerran, built what was originally a small manor nearby that utilized the hot spring as a bath. In time this has grown to be a popular vacation for local lords, and is much more opulent than any other part of their estate. The House generally stays far away from the Meadhall, and leaves it in the hands of a trusted retainer.

If anyone wants to check out the crunch, it's all here: paste2.org/4WyENFej

Will check it out once i wake up.

>He only even marched when Stannis did, Renly was content to try and starve out King's Landing, Stannis forced his hand.

And even when he did march, his forces functioned more like a mobile Renn fair than an actual army.

>The system uses 3D6 to roll on lookup tables

What the fuck? Did the designers not understand probability curves? All they had to do is add two more spaces and use a D20

Are you talking about house creation? You can just use a d10. But I think they only wanted people to have to use one type of die.

Summerhall?

>Consider that about a good portion to half of the Stormlands supported Stannis even though Renly was lord
Can you cite that? According to awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/War_of_the_Five_Kings#The_Crowning_of_the_Five_Kings we have

>King Renly Baratheon, the youngest brother of the late King Robert. After failing to convince Eddard Stark to seize power while Robert lies dying, Renly flees to Highgarden. There, with the help of his lover, Ser Loras Tyrell, Renly is able to secure the support of House Tyrell by wedding Lord Mace Tyrell's daughter Margaery. With the strength of both the Reach and the stormlands behind him, Renly declares himself Lord of the Seven Kingdoms. He assembles a massive army of a eighty thousand men and begins marching slowly on King's Landing, letting the Lannisters and Starks bleed each other while his new father-in-law Mace continues assembling a reserve host of ten thousand at Highgarden.

And in A Clash of King's prologue we have Stannis saying
>He made me a poor envoy in any case. The storm lords will not rise for me. It seems they do not like me, and the justice of my cause means nothing to them. The cravenly ones will sit behind their walls waiting to see how the wind rises and who is likely to triumph. The bold ones have already declared for Renly. For Renly!

From Davos
>It is as you warned him. They will not rise, Maester. Not for him. They do not love him.
And
>if he takes this meager host to King’s Landing, it will be only to die. He does not have the numbers.

Few friends and I had played around with the idea of a Dornish house, the kicker being the House had deep ties to the Old Gods (Not really all that deep but the pc going to be playing the Heir to the house basically was a cross between Brienne and Ned. And intent on being quite adamant to the Old Ways. lol), The actual main fun being that the House was to have a Weirwood. Things however fell apart before we could actually start the campaign however...

R'hllor and those who follow him. I'll take the whole invasion of the Others over one of them being in charge of anything at any day.

>We do sow
Nice.

House Henfrydde is a house of the Westerlands with an ancient lineage. Family legend tells that Dermot Henfrydde was a comrade of Lann the Clever, and he conquered part of the Casterly lands during the downfall of that house, then ruled as a king from Feastfires to Ashenmark. How much of this is true is unknown, but that Henfrydde have long sat in Deepwell Manor and been a significant power of the western peninsula is well known.
No large castle or town marks their domain, and they have neither gold to mine nor abundant grain to reap. The power of the house is predicated on one thing and one thing alone: a magnificent herd of horses that roam through their lands. It is said has Henfrydde sons do not use chairs, but keep saddles about their house to sit. Some of the finest cavalry in the Lannister armies have been Henfrydde men, or have rode on Henfrydde steeds. It is often claimed that the horses owe their fine constitution to a unique strain of clover that blankets the hills and fields of the family’s lands.
The current head of the house is Stevon Henfrydde, a stern old man who in his youth was fostered at Casterly Rock. A close companion of Tywin, he readily gathered his banners to fight against the Reynes and Tarbecks. Of late his health has been ailing, and his estranged son Effrim has returned from Essos to take control of the house and lands. With him he has brought a unit of foreign cavalry, who use their mounts not as shock cavalry but rather carry bows to pepper their foes before retreating.

Deepwell Manor is a large Hall perched at the top of a long, sloping valley. The slopes below are littered with stables both large and small. Beneath the manor are a series of twisting caves and caverns containing swift moving underground streams and it is even rumored to hold a vast subterranean lake. The valley winds down to the sea looking out towards Fair Isle.

Most of Westeros's faithful are fucking insane. The only religion with chill practitioners us the old gods one because all that requires us sitting by a tree every now and then.

The southern Seven thing was alright before they started that Inquisition bullshit.

>(though I doubt he was a total Prince Charming either)
I don't think Rhaegar was perfect, but so far every bit if information we have about him paints him has a pretty stupidly nice and competent guy. The problem is, his imperfect seems to STEM from that niceness, because he seemed reluctant to get directly involved in politics.
When you take into account his words to Jaime (in which he shows the son of arguably the greatest existing threat to his father during Robert's Rebellion enough trust that he basically gives his wife and son to him to take care of) and how the Tourney at Harrenhall was almost certainly arranged by him to gently depose his increasingly insane father, I think his niceness was actually his biggest flaw.

I think he basically wanted to hope that his unstable father would eventually recover his sanity and did nothing about him until it was too late to really stop his massive downslide.
If he'd been harder, acted sooner, a lot of the shit that went down at Harrenhall and the Rebellion after might have been completely avoided.

It helps that Ned and Robert were fostered together. They basically WERE brothers for years.
What's funny is that most of the information we have suggests that Ned's personality is totally unlike his siblings; his older brother was hot-tempered and wild, Benjen had a strong sense of humor, and his father had political ambitions Ned clearly doesn't share at all.
He was into tourneys and hunting, yeah.
Renly being a "camp gay" is something the show made up.
It'd be pretty easy to become gay and have only "manly" hobbies in Westeros simply because all of the hobbies and interests men had in cultures like Westeros were shared WITH other men, so basically you could have absolutely nothing in common with women and still live an interesting life because women are just for making babies and men do all the interesting stuff you can bond over anyway.

Renly's problem wasn't that he wasn't manly, it was that he was kinda impractical and showy. Tourneys and jousts and hunting isn't war, and his chief general was Mace Tyrell, a man most famous to dragging out a siege and failing to break it until peace was declared.

Subjective, but possibly the creation of The Sorrows. Your civilizations most beautiful city becoming a shadowy misty nightmare-burg filled with a disease that literally turns you into a petrified zombie-person is pretty fucked up, even by Planetos standards.
The Doom was pretty catastrophic too, but in no way were the Freeholders of Valyria perfect and noble rulers, it was just catastrophic politically.
>Summerhall?
Certainly the greatest tragedy to befall the Targs I think, especially given how awesome Dunk and Egg were.

Well there's also those Lysene goddess and the deities of the Summer Isles.
Their tenants seem to largely revolving around having as much sex as you possibly could.

>Lys, a rich city populated entirely by 10/10 Valyrian beauties- half of which are sex slaves you can find at any brothel.

why the fuck wasn't i born in lys

>deities of the Summer Isles
Truly the best gods.

And the Crunch paste2.org/DHW160Bf

That's in Essos though. In Westeros, the most easygoing religion is the only where you spend your time staring at a tree with a sour face on it.

What do we know about the Merling King?

They also poison people.
Not all sunshine and roses there.
>Truly the best gods.
If you like horny sexually promiscuous mocha girls anyway!
Up until 2-3 years ago in-universe R'hllor was an exclusively Essos deity.
And nobody Westeros REALLY worships R'hllor except Stannis, Melli and Selyse; they just suck Stannis' dick because they want the rewards for helping him. Stannis has even admitted that he realizes this.
The Faith of the Seven normally seems pretty hands-off, at least since the militant orders were disbanded.

I think a lot of people confuse the less then 5 years of time in the books for what Westeros is like ALL the time, when this is basically a part of decade's worth of history where basically everything maintaining Westeros social order and stability completely falls apart, very much akin to those eras when China looses an Emperor and then the entire country collapses into multi-way civil war until a winner comes out on top.

Hell, most people think that the stereotypes of the Great Houses of the novels have always been true, when most of the existing material basically suggests that it's less then a generatio old; the last THREE Lannister lords haven't been ambitious political schemers but were incompetents or fools instead, and Ned's own father was politically ambitious.

Next to nothing, only that he's some kinda sea deity.

If he's good enough for the Manderleys, he's good enough for me.

>Up until 2-3 years ago in-universe R'hllor was an exclusively Essos deity
>And nobody Westeros REALLY worships R'hllor

There are Red Temples in Oldtown and Sunspear. It was a minority religion, but it existed.

Right now it's also spreading amongst the smallfolk in the Riverlands thanks to the Brotherhood without Banners.

>The Old Gods are chill meme
They do practice human sacrifice, which also comes with cannibalism involved. The whole idea of their burial traditions- using barrows so their souls can be assimilated into the hivemind collection of Singers' souls that the Children of the Forest command when they die (or something) is pretty fucked up too.

With the exception to the Sparrows movement, the Faith of the Seven is the most progressive/peaceful/not fucked up religion. It actually teaches people how to be good human beings, and it doesn't even need magical intervention or sacrifice to spread its belief (though a little Andal conquest does help.)

>hivemind collection
So you watch preston jacobs as well?

I think those are pretty fucking cool.

There's more, but my break ended and so had to do back to work.
I had one Lord Paramount for each Kingdom well-detailed, three major lords for each individual realm, and the entire Kingsguard and their histories done up.

The Kingsguard I actually only ended up doing because PC was a member, Ser Kayce Manderly.

I like 'em.

Thank you.
Idea was to create characters who were interesting but that the plot didn't revolve around and thus would allow the PC's to drive the world forward on a ground-level sort of thing.

Continued
>The Stormlands: Lord Adric Baratheon, called "Dragonstorm". Visually favoring his Targaryen mother's coloring and temperament while possessing his father's strength and skill at arms, Lord Adric looks more Valyrian then his forebears and is known for his short temper and wrathful disposition. The most martial and tempestuous of the Lords Paramount, and the best fighter, with only Richard Lannister approaching his skill. Though loyal to his cousin the King, he resents the influence of Lord Darklyn and the Black Hand's frequent political manipulations of him.
>The Reach: Lord Vander Tyrell. Generally thought of as a competent but wholly uninteresting ruler by most. Few can deny he has experience in war and rulership, but his personality is generally thought of as extremely dull, if not precisely unpleasant. Despite this The Reach is ffar more prosperous under his ruler then his father and grandfather. Secretly quite ambitious, likely suffering from a general inferiority complex due to being overlooked for less competent but more "flashy" Lords.
>The Vale: Lord Jon Arryn, called "Longjon". "Long of reach, long of leg, long of ear", is the saying that follows the Lord of the Eyrie. Tall, strong, proud, and nakedly ambitious, "Longjon" is named such not only for his height by for his political influence seemingly extending far beyond the Vale, which has seemingly become his personal fortress. Kept in check by the rule of law as well as the manipulations of the Hand, Lord Arryn has made it quite clear that he does not expect his power to end at the Gates of the Moon simply because law dictates it. Had a direct hand in the recent Red Winter.

Continued
>The Riverlands: Lord Ryland Tully. The youngest of the Lords Paramount, but perhaps the most heavily tested in his short tenure. Born one of a pair, his twin brother Ryon Tully was fostered away at the Eyrie under Lord Jon Arryn's care while Ryland was raised at Riverrun, though when younger they were nearly inseperable. When his father Raymund caught ill and died before his time, there was a large-scale succession dispute over who should inherit between he and his twin. Ryland was favored over Ryon due to being raised in the Riverlands and due to Jon Arryn's undue influence over him as a fosterling. Arryn claimed Ryon had been nominated successor by Lord Raymund via a message sent to him by raven before he left. Indeed a message was sent to the Eyrie but the contents were never shown. Ryon was never heard during this claimant and Arryn claimed to "speak for him", and thus the Riverlands Lords claimed that Ryon was in effet being held hostage by Arryn and his claim was pressed as a way to increase his already long influence, and Ryland began to muster his banners in an attempt to rescue his beloved twin. A short two year conflict now known as the Red Winter was waged between the Riverlands and the Vale to determine succession, with the crown initially seemingly unwilling (or unable) to intervene. Eventually Lord Darklyn arrived to support the Riverlands and demanded Arryn return Ryon Tully. Arryn proudly refused, but offered to let Ryland "retrieve him himself" at the Eyrie, but only if he came alone. Ryland did so. No one knows exactly what happened in the Eyrie during Ryland's stay there, but when he returned he was sorrowfully carrying his twin's corpse and was thus undisputed Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. Due to the Red Winter much animosity exists between the Riverlands and Vale recently.

>Dorne: Prince Alia Nymeros Martell. As always Dorne stands apart from the other Kingdoms. Though now long at official peace with the rest of Westeros on occasion feuds still mark the Dornish Marches between Marcher lords, Stormlanders, and Reach houses. Prince Alia spent much of her childhood in King's Landing as a way to foster peace with the the throne, becoming renowned as perhaps the greatest beauty in Westeros aside from the Queen, though often it was said that her smoky stares made her more attractive then the Good Queen. Though Prince Alia speaks of her time in King's Landing fondly, Queen Rhaella is almost completely silent on the matter of Alia despite having been raised with her as a child, especially where comparison is drawn between the two. A highly competent ruler (having managed to rather easily politically pacify and neuter the otherwise infamously rancorous Yronwoods early in her reign) and politician, she seems quite friendly with the rest of the Seven Kingdoms even as she encourages marriages of influence that largely benefit Dorne.

>The Prince of Dragonstone: Prince Daeron Targaryen. Perhaps equally as popular as the Queen, Prince Daeron is well known for being handsome, skilled at arms, and enjoying martial pursuits, likely stemming from his time fostering with Richard Lannister who is of age with him. Known also to be quite a flirt with women, he is still as of yet unwed. Some claim that despite his flirtations (and rumored liaisons) with women, he favors the company of men far more. This rings true to many thanks to entourage of handsome knights of great skill and fame he regularly spends time with, often called "The Prince's Men" by the public. Due to his popularity this rumor is often disputed by some, and indeed there are many highly-cited rumors about dalliances with women as well. Largely uninterested in politics.

>The Prince of Summerhall: Prince Vaelon Targaryen, called "the Quiet Dragon". Where his brother is outgoing and martial. Prince Vaelon is quiet, reticent, and bookish. Though he warmly greets guests to Summerhall, Vaelon rarely associates more with them then he has to and seems to vastly prefer his books to actual people. While not uncharming or awkward, he seems reluctant to associate with strangers much. The few close to him claim that he's blunt to the point of rudeness in private and has a razor-keen wit and sharp tongue that is at contrast with his quiet and polite public image. His intelligence is quite notable; he spent many years studying at the Citadel, and though he did not become a Maester due to his royal duties many Maesters who studied with him at the same time claim that this is not due to his intelligence, and it is said that somewhere in his private chambers he has a full set of Maeter's links he keeps as a memento. Very close to Dorne, to the annoyance of some Stormlands Lords who visit Summerhall. His wife is Lady Aria Martell, the Prince of Dorne's younger sister, and he was fostered at Sunspear to further unity between the other Kingdoms and their southerly neighbor. Quite close to his elder brother, though he mostly keeps contact with him via raven rather then in person. Though like his brother he seems uninterested in politics, many Lords have noted that should he become directly involved he would be a force to be reckoned with; his management of Summerhall has been seemingly effortless on his part despite taking up almost none of his personal time and his expert knowledge on a vast variety of subjects leaves him extremely informed and capable of making wise decisions.

>Red Winter
Go on....

>Dragonslayer edition
Based House Uller
The Fire Rises!

The Red Winter was a major event created as a backstory bit for another PC who wanted to be Famous for some activity during war, so I basically created the entire scenario and the political tension caused by Longjon Arryn's ambitions and the tragedy of the Tully Twins to explain it.

I kind of am told I go a little overboard when fleshing out backround elements.

What was the Famous incident that started the Red Winter thingy?

The player literally told me he wanted a "Hulao Gate"-type battle.
So I chose the Gate of the Moon as the equivalent.

But one half of the Ullers are half mad!
And the other half is worse!

Death of the mazebuilders

It was just Stannis' paranoia, GRRM has said that Robert gave it in good will, since Dragonstone was for a long time considered a royal property and belonging to the heir of the king, in this case Stan

Nice try Robert.

Being the Prince of Dragonstone is like being the Prince of Wales, so yeah; it's an important title.

How? Dragonstone is a rocky shithole with terrible weath- ohhh

Zing!

Rooooooooo cymruuuuambyth

d20 systems are terrible though.

wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Vocabulary

How have you, if at all, incorporated High Valyrian in your campaigns? Puzzles, old tomes and scrolls for research, the equivalent of secret code around others who may not speak it? Do any of your PCs or NPCs speak it? Or is it merely for the learned, the "Latin" of Westeros in a sense.

I had a player asking another character to marry him in valyrian. But thats about it.

Well it was not exactly High Valyrian. He just used random Valyrian words he knew in order to impress the girl.

Rules question for SIFRP: If I had a buckler (well, judging from the description a more fitting name would be targe) it means I have that arm's hand free. Could I thus have a buckler AND a left-hand dagger with the same arm?

Was it actually Ryland that came back, or Ryon pretending to be Ryland?

You could hold them both, but not benefit from them both IMO.

maybe, though to make it fair you'd have to take a penalty somehow. From the top of my head I'd see bulk being the easiest.
Maybe something diminishing the defense/or not being able to use the dagger's bonus at the same time when making an attack roll

Maybe defense bonus stacks but not the off-hand bonus?

I'd make sense to only have 1 defense bonus no matter how you defend yourself.
>I defend with my shield.
>Idefend with the dagger.

Well yeah that sounds about right.
Then again, we get the silly situation where Left-Hand Dagger is just objectively better than a full sized Shield.
Both give +2 Defense but only one gives +1 Off-Hand.

A full sized shield would give +2 Defense but a dagger would only give +1 Defense/Off-hand and you'll lose the Defense if you make use of the Off-hand.

is there a specific website for making these?

rpg.uplink.fi/heraldry/?template=main
For this kind. there's a few more out there

Cool thanks. Been looking through a lot of heraldry sites and most of them are shit with almost no options.

this is gonna be so useful in the upcoming campaign

Yeah, exactly.
It's not really the place itself, it's the implication that you're in charge of a significant piece of real estate, in Westeros case the ancestral house seat.

That's a targe.
A buckler has no straps and just a grip.
No, it was Ryland; they were not identical twins, just fraternal ones. The truth is much sadder then that.
What really happened was that Ryon Tully was NOT an unwilling figurehead for Longjon during the war as Ryland assumed and the Riverlands claimed and was in fact sort of groomed and encouraged by Arryn to see Riverrun as his birthright which his brother had suddenly "stolen" from him. He used his strong control over who gets into and out of the Vale as a sort of information curtain that prevented him from learning (or believing) anything that Arryn didn't tell him, and kept speaking "for" him out of "concern for assassins who might try to take his head". When Ryland walked up alone to take his twin home Ryon basically accused him of wanting to kill his twin and perhaps even having committed fratricide thanks to their father's sudden early death clearing the way for Ryland, and he was fed so much on Arryn's bullshit that he was irrational and unable to be reasoned with.
He fought his twin, and Ryland, who now had two years of wartime experience, was forced to kill his twin in self-defense.

Jon Arryn was nowhere to be found when this happened, but it's quite likely that he had a strong idea that it would and thus asked Ryland to come up to the Eyrie out of sheer spite.

bump.

Wow, that sucks.

Dies the shield have the 1B specialization penalty that the dagger has?

This user is right, if you're blocking with the shield the dagger really isn't of use, and if you're parrying with the dagger the shield might get in the way. Better to just have a secondary weapon over there.

so
double daggers?

Longjon Arryn was designed kind of from the ground up to be the most obviously antagonist character in the alternate history, taking the stereotypical House Arryn traits and making them negatives rather then positives.