Picking TGs brain to imrpove things

Hey Veeky Forums

Can you help us make this idea/product better?

We posted here about it a long while back so some of you may remember.

We dug the old prototype out of the closet not to long ago and gave it away, but that made us think. How could we make it better.

It’s a deck holder / organizer for trading card games.
Two large pockets, big enough for roughly 100 sleeved cards each. Two pencil holders, a small pocket for papers, a long loop to attach a notebook and a fold-out d100 based counter for life points. Two d-rings on it’s back let it be attached to a belt, backpack, or whatever else you can think of.

It is made from faux nappa and suede leathers.

Making this was really fun and a refreshing challenge. I need to simplify some of the crafting steps to make the final version more affordable

What is faux nappa?

The only possible improvement I can think of without dramatically changing the design would be the inclusion of a super thin piece of sheet steel sewn inside the counter so the beads used could be magnetized to keep them from slipping or getting lost more easily.

>How could we make it better

The two things I see off the bat are bulk and deck security.

>Re: Deck security
I'm not sure how snug the cards are, but they should have little wiggle in any direction, including up against the strap. Especially problematic if you want it to fit any popular format, where it'd need to be snug for 75-100 cards (constructed + sideboard, EDH).

>Re: Bulk

If you're using it as a life counter or notepad, half of its occupied surface area on the table is effectively unused. This presents a challenge for a lot of places with multiplayer crowding, additional clutter, or just small tables.

The life counter could also use a grid or something to assist separation between the numbers. user is correct in that they should probably be magnetized, and you'll almost always want the beads beside the number instead of on it, to assist readability.

Its a kind of fake soft leather.

That's neat!

Only thing I can think of to improve it is maybe a small pouch or compartment to hold a few dice, since they're often used for counters.

Both are good Ideas, Thanks!

I'm not a huge fan of the life counter flap, plus dropping it would leave more room on the table, and with the note pad already in the case there isn't really a need for it. I also think you should make a version for double sleeved decks, or at least consider it since people who go all out on deck boxes and things like this tend to use them for their more expensive decks, and people tend to double sleeve them.

Esh-esh?

Yesh-Yesh

Double-sleeved adds around 50% thickness to the deck, which builds up a huge variance between 60-card single-sleeve no-sideboard, and 100-card double-sleeve, that can't be comfortably accommodated by any non-elastic deck holder.

I just realized the note pad holder is on the left side, which would make it difficult for right handed people to write on while it's in the case. perhaps you could invert the design or have left handed/right handed option available.

Do you have any idea as to when you'll have these in your shop?

Honestly no, but we could easily make you one by request any time. On the etsy page, one the left hand side is a blue button that says "Request Custom Order" Click that and put down what you would like.

Be warned however the wait time for most items is about 3-4 weeks right, its the end of Con/LARP season so Im trying to push through a ton of orders right now.

We were also thinking of just making custom faux leather deck holders too. Just imagine the deck holder part alone with a decorative or customized flap cover.

Personally, I'd want it to be a little longer, so I could have somewhere to store a basic dice set. Not the 20+ dice needed to play Shadowrun or whatever, but a d20, a d12, a d4, a d8, 2d10 and 4d6 would be nice.

Also, in tune with you could do the actual numbers symbolically. Something like pic related would be nice, making it reversible.

Just realised, that may be confusing. Make sure the units, tens and hundreds columns line up whether you're looking from the top or the bottom, if you're gonna use that.

Not a bad idea. There have been so many good ideas in this thread. I may end up just making a modular pick what you want Gaming book/case thing.

Not a bad idea, I'd be willing to wait a little longer than I otherwise would for something like that

I'd be willing to wait a little longer and pay a little more, to be honest. This kind of hand-made, bespoke work is worth it.

>DO YOU THINK THIS CRYSTAL PRISON CAN HOLD ME FOREVER, HERO?
>YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD CONTAIN MY POWER
>UNTIL THEN, SLEEP SOUNDLY AND BLISSFULLY UNAWARE OF THE KIND OF DEATH YOU'VE EARNED FOR YOUR TRANSGRESSION
>WE AREN'T FINISHED HERE, YOU AND I
>BUT IT WILL BE ME WHO HAS THE LAST LAUGH
>AND MY RETURN HERALDED BY YOUR TORTURED SCREAMS AND THE SOUND OF SHATTERING GLASS

Maybe ditch the stupid counter pad altogether. Make this thing the exact size of a 4 per card page "monster" or similar binder and throw a slot up in that bitch. Damn now it holds the good trades too!

So a while back we made this, Its for E-Ink readers and tablets, it has two separated inner pockets for papers, and the back opens to reveal a space to put an 8x11 Character sheet folded over, it even had a little pouch for a few dice.

How about we combine this, with the Deck holder, for more of a general RPG Case. Keep the two big pockets, one for dice, the other separated into two pockets, with a little extra fleece padding for miniatures, then add the character sheet holder on the back, and keep the section for a small notebook and pens/pencils.

What do you think?

Holy shit that looks good. Would you be thinking soft or hard covers for the front and back?

All of the above.

Cool! Grüße!

The buttons push down on the cards when they are pushed closed. Maybe they could instead push against the case on the other end? or a toggle could be used instead. Closing the button by pushing it into the card just seems wrong, even if the leather protects them.

I will never find another notepad in that format. Maybe something more standardized?

Custom logos, but I guess I can assume as much at Rawring.

Now this pic looks like it could sell really well.

I don't know about the combine case. I have never felt the need to carry any cards, and neither have any of my players. It's different scenes, you don't usually bring your RPG stuff to a card tournament, or vice versa. Maybe something that could hold either cards or, I don't know, miniatures? So that it converts simply by pulling a strap or loosening a knot? That way it can be the card case on card day and the RPG case when real gamers meet.

I also still want you to make a GM screen. And if it folds into a handy carrying case, all the better. Options to include are magnet-/whiteboard, chalk board, clamps for maps and handouts, and if you're attaching devices anyway, why not make it hold a pad so the players can see the display, or the GM can record the session?

How's Ru?

There is a rigid piece of plastic inserted into the covers so they and bend but not break and keep their shape, but overall both items feel soft because of the faux leather.

A few friends and I got together and got one of our players the RPG case with dice holders for his birthday a few years back. He still uses it every session. Satisfied customer.

>I don't know about the combine case. I have never felt the need to carry any cards, and neither have any of my players.

It wouldn't be a Card case anymore, the combined version would be for table top RPGs, One of the two big pockets would be for dice, the other for minis, dice, or more gaming supplies. A space for pens/pencils, and a space where you could slip in any dollar store notepad. The back would open to hold a folded over character sheet. Its a combination of to two cases to make one.

The GM Screen is a great idea too.

Ru is doing well also.

Good to hear.

SS13 by Esh.

They sell those notepads for around a dollar in every office supply and school supply isle in every store i've seen. Even the grocery stores.

just add a cup holder for mountain dew.

I know this post was a joke but seriously if they came with a can sized circle of the leather material to use as a coaster that would be pimp as fuck.

Also my 2 cents, if you've got a pocket for a notepad you don't need the bead counter for life, if that part was instead a small pocket for 5-10 d6s it would be perfect

Great! That's fine then.
(They don't over here)

Where is here and if its not america why should we care?
Seriously though guaranteed they're somewhere. Office specific stores or bulk 50 packs online for $20 or what ever you guys use for currency.
It better not be Pa'anga cause you can go fuck yourself.

Hm, you do realize Veeky Forums is 18+, right?

bump

Berp

I can't wait for the game!

fukken saved