WH40k lore

Hi Veeky Forums, I've just started getting into the lore of Warhammer 40k. Been reading bits and pieces of it in the lexicanum wiki and might get the books soon. I ran into something that confuses me though, and I was hoping the more knowledgeable among you can enlighten me: were the Eldar created by their gods, or the Old Ones? What are their gods anyway, and are they related to the Chaos gods? I know I'm probably missing something basic.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!xMJTxCyD
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eldar created by old ones

Eldar gods like the avatar also created like the old ones.

Eldar made slaanesh by being degenerate on a galactic scale. Now they suffer in every way except rules.

I see. So the Eldar gods are like, (please pardon the term) "Super Eldars" or something which were created by the Old Ones to minister over the Eldar race? Were they created the same way and from the same stuff as the chaos gods and creatures of the warp, or from something totally different?

Thank you for taking the time to answer noob questions!

The Eldar got "adopted" by the Old Ones like the Necrons. The Eldar have their own gods, but most of them are dead by present-day 40k. Their gods come from the same basic psychic plane as the chaos gods (e.g. They work off of faith and psychic conduits), but they aren't chaos. They downright hate the stuff.

Wait, adopted meaning they were already existing, and not created by the Old Ones?

IIRC old ones like to make lesser beings they also made the Orks, They used them in the old war between them and the necrons/c'tan. Old ones creation is never covered I assumed natural happenstance like the necrons before they became robot skeletons.

Old ones were highly psychic unlike the necrons. Again from memory chaos is largely irrelevant in the old one era. Like the warp exists but chaos gods aren't the big bad back then.

Check out old necron fluff (maybe new stuff too) for stuff about the old ones and the war in heaven.

Thanks, Necron fluff seem pretty interesting too. I can't stop reading up on everything!

Stop spewing your headcanon. The Old Ones created the Eldar. They did not adopt the Eldar nor did they adopt the fucking Necrons.

Read the Liber Chaotica Slaanesh section. This goes for everyone here.

The Eldar Gods were psychic constructs the Eldar created under the guidance of the Old Ones. They were meant as weapons in the War in Heaven. But as the war dragged on and the Old Ones started dying out the Eldar were losing the guidence of the Old Ones. They started worshiping their own constructs. These constructs ultimately evolved into Eldar Gods.

Thanks, that makes sense. Will definitely check the book out too!

Old ones made Eldar to fight Necrons, Eldar are crazy psychic so they sorta made their own "gods" in the warp, this was before it got proper fucked up and was a relatively ok place, Eldar worshipped their gods, Eldar had so much disgusting violent sex that slaanesh popped up and ate most their gods

>Getting into Warhammer lore.
> Is most interested in worst race.

We lost another one. I feel the warp overtaking me.

mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!xMJTxCyD

the 40k generals mega should have some stuff incase you didn't know about it.

worst race is tau.

>The Eldar got "adopted" by the Old Ones just like the Necrons

What? That's never stated anywhere and they actually more or less did the complete opposite with the necrons and told them to fuck off

Eldar aren't Tau friend

>eldar
>worst race

Stay jelly, mon'keigh.

Your question has been answered already, so I wanted to share this: 1d4chan.org is a decent source for 40k related stuff, there are a lot articles/fanfics from tg there. It written in a semi-serious way and I just find it more pleasing to read stuff about grimdark universe written in that style.

IT IS A GOOD PAIN

Dark Eldar are the best race though.

Don't listen to this guy. 1d4chan is filled with unsourced headcanon and memes. Outdated memes at that.

everyone sucks massive dicks other than the tyranids.

>empire still believes in a rotting spess emprah
>eldar literally created a devil through buttsex and drugs
>orks are fookin stupid m8
>chaos is lead by an armless retard
>tau do nothing, literally nothing of note
>necrons are so forgettable their main push on the galaxy was defeated by a spess muhreen having quick thinking

tyranids will rape the galaxy and thats it. i for one welcome our hive mind overlords

War in Heaven fluff is very ambiguous and often contradictory. Eldar are stated in different places to be both created by the Old Ones and the Eldar pantheon. It's worth remembering that time is non-linear in the warp so Eldar Gods have always been around, but only able to manifest in realspace at a certain point.

>1d4chan.org is a decent source for 40k related stuff

No it isn't. It's just memes and misinformation.

>1d4chan.org is a decent source for 40k related stuff

You piece of shit.

Heh. That's cute. You means the armless failure who's achieved his main goal during each of the seven black crusades? The one who can take on a primarch and stand a fair chance?

You mean the necron's, who's 'main force' was barely a percentage of their full power, and still put the Imperium on the ropes?

>all this Wave Serpent butthurt

Git gud faggot.

The Eldar myths are to be disregarded as nothing but in-verse baseless myth written after the War of Heaven concluded. Anyone who takes them as a valid source is an idiot. I mean as the Liber Chaotica says the Eldar could not tell their own gods from the Star Gods during the War.

So don't just say stated as if all sources of fluff are equal, you pleb. The Out-verse omniscient narrator fluff should be what you are after, and that fluff stated in the Oldcron era that the Eldar were created by the Old Ones.

Daily reminder that the greatest bioform of the Tyranids was defeated several times in a couple of days by marine chaplain.

Tyranids are nothing but a sad joke. The funny thing this is not some retarded memeing based misinformation. We have proof that Tyranids a shit. Picture related.

>implying the Emprah isn't a perpetual

Ultimately I feel like itll boil down to the main fleet arriving and a fully awakened necron force attempting to stop it

Of course it will actually be chaos because "such evil bad guys" but they just don't feel on the same level as nids or crons

Whats that?
>You have army wide rending?
>You have a T8 W6 gargantuan jump monstrous creature with strength D guns that costs under 300 points
>You have loads of invulnerable saves?
>You have loads of psykers and psyker bonuses?
>You can all run and shoot?
>You have some seriously cheap and op vehicles

Yeah nah Eldar are broken as fuck

Oh, sure.

But 40K has never been balanced, and the only way to get though stints where your army is not top tier is to play well.

That's not how you spell Tau

>Eldar
>Not Tau
Anyone else smell space communist?

kek and a half

As a Tyranid player unless I spam FMC EVERYWHERE I literally cannot beat Eldar lists, even with FMC its not easy

>everyone sucks massive dicks other than the Squats
>necrons are so forgettable their main push on the galaxy was defeated by a spess muhreen having quick thinking
>tyranids get buttfucked by the Tau

>squats dont even exist

lmao

>

>6th edition

Reminder that Creed freaking out-gambited the Eldar's farseeing abilities with a series of false-flag operations, outdated info and perfectly executed commands and maneuvers.

That isn't the imperium.

You have my deepest condolences for being incorrect.

And despite everything else it still holding together somehow despite the High Lords being incompetent dolts most of the time.

Yeah and they are sorry for it, hence they are making their own death god that may or may not kill Slaanesh

Yeah and they say that Ork Kommandos don't exist.

Say bad things about the Black Legion Supplement, but the fact that all the other 12 BCs were in fact preparations for the 13th one and that he managed to get a beach-head on Cadia and slowly conquering it is what gave him back his credentials.

Yeah, that's a pity.

Imotekh wants a word with you.

>worst race
You wot m8?

Why is that autarch so huge?

Old Ones made the Eldar, but Eldar Gods were/are (Isha) probably real. Slaanesh proves that new gods can form, and the Eldar believed in theirs + had the most psychic power at the time and so they probably existed until Slaanesh supposedly ate them (I say supposedly since it's possible they never did exist). They were probably originally supposed to be psychic weapons against the Old Ones but I forget where I read that.

But if we believe the Eldar's point of view novels etc. then the Eldar Gods were real and Ynnead is coming to kick some ass in the future.

He's lost himself to the path of tallness and will soon die from low blood pressure.

3rd edition Necron backstory ("Oldcrons", 2002-2011). Origins of the C'tan, Old Ones, Necrons, Eldar, K'nib, Enslavers, Orks, Jokaero, et al.

5th edition Necron backstory ("Newcrons", 2011-present*). Origin of the Necrons.

* The version in the latest, 7th edition codex is basically the same, only much shorter, with less detail and even more (minor, probably unintentional) retcons.

Speaking of the Eldar, I was a bit confused about pic-related and some of the rumored stuff we're getting for eighth edition.

Last I checked Eldrad disappeared during the 13th Black Crusade, or was that retconned?

Since 5th edition the 13th Black Crusade has been treated as ongoing (although even when it was "over", the fight was still raging all across the Cadian Gate anyway). That climactic battle above Cadia in which Eldrad got Blackstoned hasn't been mentioned, and any references to his death/disappearance have been removed. Even back when he was officially dead/missing, it would have been possible to include him in new events and stories so long as they were set at an earlier date.