Modern fantasy setting

>Modern fantasy setting.
>Demons prefer to possess people's computers like a virus rather than the person himself.
What can be some reasons for why?

Demons naturally possess intelligence systems, which means generally speaking humans and animals.

However the downside to this is that these systems fight back and resist control. With the invention of computer systems, demons now essentially have powerful free vessels they can control at will.

If you want to take this idea further, you could say that the first time a demon figured out it could possess a computer, it actually made some people think they accidentally created an AI, only to realize later what actually happened.

They like making their lives hell figuratively, instead of literally.

Just look at the crypto ransomeware shit going on right now.

Modern people are dependant on their computers for news, information, communication, etc. Being able to possess the computer, to alter that incoming information just enough to damn the person or make them do what the demon wants, is probably easier than possessing the person and forcing them to do things. The user might not even think to question or resist what they're finding out. Hell, for all they know they're getting a helpful answer to a post on Veeky Forums!

Less resistance than fighting against a soul maybe?

You can't exhort a computer.

>Getting a helpful answer to a post on Veeky Forums
>To make these effective magic crystals, mix bleach and ammonia while blowing into it

Demons quickly learned that people are paranoid and institutionalize "possessed" people, often leaving them trapped in their meatsack host until they can manage to kill themselves and escape. This is quite difficult in a strait jacket with a mouthguard in a padded cell.

Being inside the computer, on the other hand, lets them go through coax cables, fuck with bank records, etc. It's just more efficient, really.

Demon has autism

Demon of Autism finds thousands of willing hosts through the internet, spreads among youth.
>you have 'X' disorder? Join this support/pride page/group to spread 'Awareness'

Reminds me of that pic of Veeky Forums "helping," with the exploded spoon and hand damage.

I don't think I've seen that one.

Isn't that literally SMT if you add the ability for them to come out of the computers?

Well, imagine how much havoc you could cause of you infected a computer.

>Find passwords
>Use same passwords on their work PC
>Now able to falsely send work emails to thousands of other coworkers, even commit fraud or fire people.

No, that's using computer programs to summon demons by having it go through all the traditional rituals at computer speed.

Which raises a lot of questions when you think about how these "traditional rituals" tend to actually go.

Can you reconfigure automated assembly lines to prepare sacrificial victims? I would assume so, had you access and the skills required. Although you would not want to automate the actual sacrifice as the machine would be granted the power instead of you.
>roombah repurposed to draw sigil n the floor
>assembly line dumps prepared victim in center.
>relaxing with a drink while the machines do the work.

Make the circle, perhaps a small offering, speak some words and bam, not hard.

Dude, I have enough dealing with people OUTSIDE their heads everyday.

If I was a demon, hell yes, I'd choose a boring computer/smartphone/car navigator anytime.
Pun intended.

Well, that explains KITT.

Because demons love debuachery and sin. And the Internet is at a point where it's getting mistaken for satan by lesser demons.

Holy shit, this is the BBEG of my next campaign--demonic possession via social media

1. It's easier to fake a malfunction than maintain a disguise.
2. Machines don't have beliefs, willpower, or attachments that can help them throw out their possessor.
3. You can cause a lot more chaos with an out-of-control car, rogue military drone, or even just information than you can with a flimsy human body.
4. Machines are disposable, so depending on the rules for when and where you can possess someone/-thing, a demon could burn through a dozen possessed machines without any trouble.

I assume the guy who wrote the program was good enough to write up ironclad contracts for the demons so they don't turn on the summoner. At least, not as frequently.

IIRC, sacrifices are covered by whatever the hell macca is, and there's also some bullshit about tapping into the internet as a well/repository of human emotions.

>3. You can cause a lot more chaos with an out-of-control car, rogue military drone, or even just information than you can with a flimsy human body.
I'd think you could cause more chaos with the flimsy human body, considering all those vehicles are designed to be driven by them. Especially considering none of those vehicles have any kind of autopilot, and even the military drone has no ability to fly itself if it ever loses connection with the controller guiding it.

>4. Machines are disposable, so depending on the rules for when and where you can possess someone/-thing, a demon could burn through a dozen possessed machines without any trouble.
Technically speaking, humans would be just as disposable to a demon with possession powers.

Computers don't have free will, souls, the protection of Christ, etc...

all very good marks for possession.

It doesn't explode, it just splashes water all over the room.

Information age humans are essentially cyborgs. Remember that cybernetics refers not just to the integration of digital or technological systems into biological systems, but any communication and interaction/integration between two systems of different types. We may not have integrated our digital technology wholly into our bodies yet, but we've already integrated it fully into our lives. A cyberdemon would have every reason to go after our technology. It's possible that the setting has gone full Digimon and the interaction between digital and human systems has created another plane of existence entirely, and demons might find it easier to exist there than here. There's also the Shin Megami Tensei route where the necessary components of summoning rituals can be reproduced on computers and run like software. Or maybe some technist cult has figured out how to model another plane of existence and is running it off of a server farm somewhere and people connecting to it serves as a medium for the demons to possess their technology.