Why is killing monsters evil?

Why is killing monsters evil?

It's not and you should ignore anyone who says it is.

It isn't.

Wrong question. What you should be asking is "When is killing monsters evil". The answer is "When more humans than monsters are killed".

When SJW make a game.

It depends on the setting. More specifically, why "monster" is defined the way it is within that setting.

A "monster" includes beings of pure good in Dungeons and Dragons for example, like unicorns and gold dragons. Wakfu defines a monster as "everything that isn't the PCs". In Warhammer Fantasy, "monster" means "anything I haven't seen before" in-universe, and anything big that doesn't like to march in formation in the meta.

Why is eating humans evil? Monsters gotta eat.

Killing humans is immoral.

Why do people care about pretentious indie games?

This.

It's bad in settings like Undertale because "monster" is everything that isn't human. Killing monsters just because they're monsters is evil because you're killing non-evil beings that happen to be non-human. Killing "actually evil" monsters isn't necessarily evil though, depending how liberally you apply the label of "actually evil."

It's good in settings like Castelvania and most other old vidya because the monsters are actively hostile not just to you but damn near everything; they're unwilling/unable to negotiate and actively genocidal.

It's neutral in settings like Monster Hunter because monsters are just big animals. Sometimes you've got to kill them for food or resources or because they're a threat to humans/the local ecosystem or just because you're getting paid and you gotta eat too.

As for settings where monsters are actively aggressive/genocidal and unwilling to negotiate and you're *still* painted as the bad guy for fighting them, that's just faggots trying to be subversive but failing.

Killing sapients is immoral

It's only evil when we care about the monsters more than we do humans. Or when the monster isn't consciously doing bad stuff i.e. it rapes villages because that's it's nature (if it knows that causes harm to others and decides to do it anyway then slay it away, cuz it's an evil shit)

It's not, fucking them is.

It isn't. humans are good, monsters are usually evil. Simple as that. Monsters might try to trick you into thinking they aren't evil, but they totally are.

How fucked would the monsters be if instead of a kid it was an adult serial killer that fell into the pit?

>Why is killing monsters evil?

Depends. Are you killing evil monsters? If you're killing evil monsters then there is less evil in the world which means that by default you are engaging in a good activity.

But why?

Equally as fucked as if the kid plays genocide run.

Woah woah woah woah no. Killing HUMANS is immoral.

STOP ARGUING ABOUT MORALITY ON Veeky Forums
I'M SICK OF YOUR REGURGITATED ARGUMENTS
WE HAVE THIS FUCKING THREAD EVERY SINGLE DAY
MORALLY JUSTIFIABLE THIS, GENOCIDE THAT, MONSTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO ABLOO ABLOO
I
JUST
WANT
TO
PLAY
MY
MURDERHOBO
POWER
FANTASY

Amen

How fucked would the monsters be if instead of a kid it was an adult serial rapist that fell into the pit?

But, user, can't you see?
It's escapism! It's not healthy!

Perhaps the same could be said of all media. But enough talk, blah blah blah.

Seriously, imagine how your life could be improved if you didn't get bored. On one hand, no art, on other, no need felt.

kek. Like hell it is. A lot of you cunts deserve to die.

t. otherkin
>>>/cofg/

>A lot of you cunts deserve to die.
...You're- you're, you are a monster.

What quality do humans have that makes destroying them morally different from destroying other free-willed sapient entities?

Bonus skill
Bonus feat
No penalty to any stat

Dank memes about smiting evil and DEUS VULT and remove kebab and other things the retards here say to justify letting out their inner /pol/.

Humans are human. That justifies everything.

Fuck. that burger looks good.
>tfw the fridge is literally empty save for watermelon

What if it's a fucking big/powerful monster.
Like if an entire town has to die to kill one snake monster that's been destroying the town itself.
What then.

I don't understand the comic

Dude why do you fill your fridge with nothing but watermelon.

edit of this

Are they sentient? If no then its not, if yes then it is.

Because we come from a world where monsters have been tamed and the only threats are internal, like plague or poverty. Moreover, we realize d that killing traditional monsters makes fucking tons of ecological work we have to do to prevent biosphere xollapse.

The players are human.

You'd have to play tumblrtale to understand.

Fuck, what's that I'm Sad a reference to?
I've seen it before I swear.

If monsters are sentient beings with the same capacity to choose good and evil as humans, it's evil to kill them for the same reasons it's evil to kill humans.

If they're not sentient or don't have free will, more moral leeway to kill them exists.

>that's just faggots trying to be subversive but failing.
So, Undertale

I'm curious how many people actually played Undertale and how many hate it because Veeky Forums told them to

Don't be dense because people on tumblr also like the game. That's deliberately misinterpreting the point of the game, and you know it.

With the exception of the Boss monsters, the monsters in the game that attack you as regular encounters are almost universally either attacking because they've heard unflattering stories about the cruelty of humans or are inadvertently hurting you while trying to play with you, and in both cases back off as soon as you've proven yourself friendly.

Only the main enemies of the game are hostile because they actually have cruel intent, and even then it's because they're misinformed or reading the situation incorrectly.

Was he Lawful Good, Veeky Forums?

Was killing him an Evil act?

Try grilling it.

>With the exception of the Boss monsters, the monsters in the game that attack you as regular encounters are almost universally either attacking because they've heard unflattering stories about the cruelty of humans or are inadvertently hurting you while trying to play with you, and in both cases back off as soon as you've proven yourself friendly.
>Only the main enemies of the game are hostile because they actually have cruel intent, and even then it's because they're misinformed or reading the situation incorrectly.
That still doesn't fucking excuse them. If they attack you with lethal intent, you have all the right to defend yourself. And if they die in the process, well, it's their fucking fault for attacking you.

Order some KFC.

I played it. Gameplay is average, story is decent, characters are likeable.

I cited it in an article I wrote about how people want likeable characters in games rather than ones they can "identify" with.

I'm a slav, the closest thing I can do to grilling it is setting it on fire.
The nearest KFC is in about 20-30 kms.
Also,
>order
What kind of place do you live where you can ORDER fast food?

You'd raise your blade to a kobold sneaking around. Would you keep your blade up if it threw its hands up in surrender and said it just wanted some of your food?

No. I would be using it to stab the lying fucker in the groin area.

desu yes
Kobolds are sneaky bastards, they'd probably try stealing something

Glorious 'Murica, Middle East, East Asia, many others besides Europeean ones. Your country has failed you user.

The only thing we can order around here is pizza and/or sushi, and it's usually the shitty kind.

>If they attack you with lethal intent, you have all the right to defend yourself.
It's not defending yourself if they cannot pose any threat to you apart from mild inconvenience, which is all the threat any enemy in that game poses.

I played it, and liked it. I don't understand the obsession some people have with it, but I thought it was pretty clever in some places (for one, I was impressed how many fucking easter eggs are in it) and I liked the characters.

Not the GREATEST THING EVAR, but certainly interesting, and it had a killer soundtrack.

Reminder some youtube sperg got a chance to meet the Pople, and for his customary gift he gave Pope Francis a steam copy of Undertale.

>literally flinging magic at you to destroy your SOUL
>mild inconvenience
Only if you've got very high LOVE. They wouldn't threaten a soldier or hardened criminal, but your average innocent person is only going to be LOVE 1 or 2 at worst. The mercenary monsters of the CORE would certainly pose a risk.

BFG_talking_about_human_morality.jpeg

Even with no LOVE at all, death has no consequences whatsoever to the human and they know that perfectly well after the first time it happens. Asgore can kill you a million billion times and he will never take your SOUL if you don't want him to. Sans's entire boss fight is even about the fact he knows he can kill you a million billion zillion times and it won't do a damn thing to stop you from eventually killing him and destroying the world, which is why his boss fight is literally him trying to frustrate you so much that you QUIT.

>Even with no LOVE at all, death has no consequences whatsoever to the human and they know that perfectly well after the first time it happens
Frisk has a preternatural amount of determination. It'd be abnormal to assume all humans are determined enough to have SAVE points.
In fact, it's pretty vague if SAVE points work outside the underground at all.

Don't want to be that guy but, it depends on setting. If creatures are inherently good/evil such as D&D, then obviously it should be pretty black and white. The problem comes in when you talk about intelligent inherently neutral "monsters". But, that is an even larger discussion.

Oh, they explicitly don't, but any human that falls into the underground can make use of them, and outside of the underground, you can hate a monster to death quite easily.

I mean, an eight-year-old with a STICK can effortlessly demolish the strongest fighter the monsters have got in a battle. Actual soldiers would go through any monsters that don't have a human SOUL like a hot knife through butter.

Hell, Gerson is a hero from the human/monster war not because he killed a lot of humans, but because he LIVED THROUGH IT.

>but any human that falls into the underground can make use of them
That's a bit of an assumption, we don't know what the boundary of determination to activate SAVE point functionality is.
Even if so, Asgore has proven capable of killing 6 humans to the point of depleting their will to continue.
>I mean, an eight-year-old with a STICK can effortlessly demolish the strongest fighter the monsters have got in a battle
Again, Frisk's determination is far beyond the norm. Determination doesn't directly translate to combat ability, but Undertale is a pattern matching game to the end (infinite tries = infinite time for memorization of patterns), and plenty of players lose to Asgore their first time through.

No, monsters can't possibly beat human soldiers, I already said that. A soldier would have an elevated LOVE value that prevents their magic from having any appreciable effect. I'm talking about people who haven't been in so much as a fistfight.

What if there were creatures that were better than humans?

Like previously human people who have died and gone to heaven and become angelic like beings of goos, but due to change of rules have been allowed to come down to help out humanity?

What's cofg in this context?

Vorefags pls no

Souls. Prove me wrong.

someone the drowtales version ?

Here user.

>Is x morally justifiable?
Why dont you grow up and make your own fucking decision instead of shitposting on Veeky Forums?

And I want to weave a narrative

Perhaps we came into this with different goals?

If sucking the blood from humans are bad then why do humans eat bread.
Checkmate ripplefags.

Why do fans of thing always feel the need to edit existing shit to cater to the thing they like.

because I'm a human

It's okay when 40k fans do it though!

Bread isn't a sentient being capable of advanced thought, or any thought at all. It merely exists.

The real question is, in what situation would you take full body armour on a fishing trip?

>On the "be creative and make narratives" board
>"Why do people change things to fit narratives they like or make jokes???????"

The autism board is this way:

When you expect to catch something like that thing except smaller. That said,
>boat flips over
>sink
>drown

lel

>I got that reference and raise you this.

Why can't we destroy a world when we know that the repercussions are non-existent? If we see a dream and want out, shouldn't we destroy it to be cathartic to our wanderlust and still be murderhobo?

Blame Japan's complicated relationship with the Ainu.

Well, if Undertale's involved, fairly good odds your narrative a shit.

Because you are Hunter and this is Monster Hunter and you can swim at Olympic speeds in full body armor heavier than that while carrying around giant fucking hammers that weigh more than a ton. And because you have Felyne with you to help.

>Inb4 I Am Bread

Have the Dorf Fort version too.

Undertale is shit because it assumes that the Genocide path should be evil when it's an inevitability. Think of it this way, even with Toriel being nice to you she still wanted to seal you in the cavern. Unless you know about the game's "message" the average person would lash out and attack her for trying to do this. So you kill Toriel and proceed to leave but everything else is trying to kill you too. In real life would you try to make friends and talk it out with someone who is trying to kill you? At best you go neutral and only kill when necessary but at worst you realize they are coming for you so every aggressor in your way needs to die unless they kill you first, ergo the Genocide path. You need that power to stay strong against all who would try to kill you and that's why Genocide isn't bad but a fact on how shit Undertumblr was with it's setting.

I just got that game a week ago and it's awesome. I can't believe I waited this long to play it...

But what if you teleport the bread?

Confirmed for not playing Genocide route. You don't just kill every monster you come across, you purposefully linger to kill every monster who dares not flee the area. And when towns and cities evacuate en masse, you steal from their shops and continue seeking them out. The first two "bosses" never even kill you (unless you actively try to die) on any route.
The remaining shopkeepers, aside from the oblivious Temmie, explicitly tell you they're unique in not being afraid of you (the first because he knows you can't kill him from shop UI and talking gives time for others to escape your wrath, the second is just out of vacation days).
There's a whopping one boss in the game that doesn't die in one hit (even though she "dies" first protecting an objectively innocent, nonthreatening child you just tried to murder), so it's not like your life is ever in danger. It's more like if a ball python struck at you so you decided to shoot every snake in the country.

I don't know why you would say that Genocide is natural or inevitable. Defending yourself against monsters attacking you is one thing, but to achieve the Genocide route, you need to deliberately seek out and purge all of the monsters. You must also kill at least 2 monsters that were clearly harmless to you, Papyrus and Monster Kid.

In the phone call at the end Sans summarizes your game. He does not condemn you for killing in self-defense. I think the game is just trying to argue that even if killing in self-defense is ethically justifiable, isn't it better to end a battle without killing, if you have the power to do so?

Forgot to mention: in order to do a Genocide run, you must kill the very first thing that attacks you in one hit, before it gets a turn to attack. Hell, you could probably be the aggressor here, with any bullet patterns being a retaliation to you nearly killing them easily.

>an objectively innocent, nonthreatening child

Literally armless.

>harmless to you, Papyrus
His plan was to capture you and brought to Undyne or Asgore who will inevitably.

Define "monster"

Anything not white and/or male.

And you have to actively seek out random battles until the game literally tells you that nobody came. Meaning Frisk is literally LOOKING for a fight.