MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Best commander edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruric-thar-rcedh-tournament/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-a-n-c-i-n-g-i-n-t-h-e-d-a-r-k/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how well does gruul hold up when up against blue/green/black or whatever the tryhardiest set up is

It depends. If you've put significant effort into fucking with the blue mage, you're gonna hurt their efforts because black and green are usually there for support (tutoring, removal, ramp), so your stuff like Ruric and Spellbreaker is still gonna bitch-slap their counters. They'll be able to answer your creature-based-interference more easily than if they were mono-blue, but it's still gonna slow them down.

They can overpower you, but they'd have to be devoting pretty much all of their resources to disrupting you specifically, at which point they lose to one of the other two players. So, Pyrrhic victory for you.

How do you all feel about Planeswalkers being commanders? Do you think the Rules Committee would ever go for it? Do any stick out as "too good" for it to be repeatedly cast? Like Karn? Is it even worth the trouble?

Tell me this Veeky Forums
Mayael or Anafenza?

No thank you.

Repeatable JTMS sounds awful.

New Tamiyo allows you bant color idenity, for a cheap powerful commander.

Doesn't seem worth the trouble.

First which Anafenza. Second they are both wildly different commanders from each other...what is your goal for the deck?

Yup, that is the best commander. I run him and my deck is explosive. I just sink all my time into land-ramp, slowly drop some expensive things on a quick curve, then play the RNG lottery and usually make out pretty well.

Should I throw a Jin-Gitaxias in there? I have one, and it's just durdling in my weird lazav counter/discard deck, but I don't think it'll really add anything that awesome. I mean, sure it's effect is awesome, but I usually end the game as soon as Maelstrom comes out.

Do not pick white anafenza. My friend built a pretty powerful budget deck, to the point that I made a deck specifically to counter it, but Elesh Norn just fucks your shit up. If your opponent happens to get one on the field, pray to god because you're basically locked down until you get removal. It could be a spicy stax commander, but that would take a dedicated build and some sneaky zero mana artifact creatures.

Will eventually happen when there are enough different walkers in all color combinations. Then you could ban the most glaring offenders like Karn, Tezzeret, Sorin 1.0 etc. and it could work.

The autistic competitive edh subreddit had a tourney to find the best decks. Ruric Thar blew out tons of top tier decks to get to the final, caused a hilarious amount of butthurt.

He can be really good, but needs tuned to your meta, and probably built with a lot of stax and mld to get the most out of him.

Was thinking of Kin-Tree Spirit and going wide with white weenies and then buffing them with bolster.
It sounds as if you are saying white Anafenza is good. Or am I just misinterpreting what you're saying.

They don't do "banned as commander" anymore, so this kind of thing won't work. Integrating Planeswalkers as commanders would be too much of a hassle for the Rules Committee, outside the 5 that WotC put in on their own.

Nah you got it, it's a very good budget deck, but the second someone builds something slightly competitive, you're going to be in rough shape.

That being said, my decks I beat his deck with have things like Brainstorm, Top, Vindicate, Swords to Plowshares, Elesh Norn, Buried Alive, Urabrask ect. His deck was very competitive considering the cards he used.

Just build it warrior tribal and throw godsend/brimaz in there. You'll have a good time and be significantly stronger than the precons, but not-quite competitive unless you build stax. Fuck, I hope he doesn't build stax.

Yeah I'm not a very competitive MtG player in general so that works for me. Thanks for the advice though.

Yeah it's probably going to be it's own independent niche format for walkerboos. My playgroup already does walker as commander only games sometimes.

Want some secret tech?

Pixis of Pandemonium.
Nyx-fleece Ram
That already mentioned brimaz godsend combo
Serra Ascendant
that one guy who lets you play a warrior from your hand when you attack with him
White mike

you're using the wrong Daxos

I think a 5 color devoid legend will happen eventually. As dumb as it sounds.

Right now, I'll just make due with Child.

I wanna dip my feet into the EDH world, guys, what would be the best commander to cheat big creatures into play? Looking for combo type decks with a Plan B. Any suggestions?

5 color Devoid Eldrazi Flipwalker

Spectacular. Do we have a decklist? I'm just curious.

I'd be okay with this, as long as it's only used in a deck with basic lands. Fuck I'd play that into oblivion.

Funny thing, I actually bought her because I saw getting Eldrazi in for cheap. Only problem I see in her is all the hate you get right away.

>want to play a B/W commander
>every option either sucks or way overplayed.

Fuck, I thought Innistrad would give me something.

Well, you kind of want to do two different things. Fatties aren't necessarily combo pieces, and combo pieces are often useless on their own. Jhoira is pretty much you're only choice for what you're describing, unless you want to run Mimeoplasm as some sort of meta-container for your combos.

That being said, there are fun decks that center around big creatures. Xenagos is probably the easiest to build, and Maelstrom Wanderer is a straight upgrade in my opinion once you have a larger card base. You just have to ask yourself, how much aggro do you want to draw and what colours do you have the best cards in. I can't recommend U/G/x highly enough as a Timmy because it comes with all the ramp you could want, and enough draw power to make sure you don't sit top decking for a whole game.

born to cheat out fatties, good colors for it too.

Ayli is awesome, not overplayed, and a tremendous value machine. I built an Ayli deck filled with walls and I can't recommend it highly enough. It just has answers for everything. New Tesya is a good alternate choice for stopping Timmy and his schtick if he doesn't kill you in one turn.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruric-thar-rcedh-tournament/

Played on cockatrice, hence the price, but the core of the deck isn't that pricey.

A teysa voltron with the innistrad human equpiments has always sounded kind of fun to me

mayael/maelstrom/animar are among the best tryhard options.

You've got a few options.
Cheating from the hand
>Kaalia
>Animar
Cheating from the library
>Maelstrom Wanderer
>Mayael
>Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Cheating from the graveyard
>Sedris
>Teneb
>The Mimeoplasm

And that's without even going into two-color or monocolor.

What some U/G/X would you suggest? I saw Kruphix and had thoughts of flashing in Hydra and Eldrazi with the stockpile of mana.

What makes them tryhard? I can understand Animar, and Maelstrom, but what makes Mayael tryhard?

>Ruric Thar blew out tons of top tier decks to get to the final, caused a hilarious amount of butthurt

is it possible to find said butthurt

mayael the ant

I think there are 3 ayli players at my store already.

I don't know why, but I never noticed she had protection from creatures. I dig the idea, although 7 seems like a lot for a voltron commander.

so basically

>you have to design your deliberately to fuck with them
>you will still probably lose the fight against them, but on the bright side, so will they

whoo

The only correct way to plau maelstrom wander is to play without a real wincon.

I'm talking winning the game by making other people quit.

I'm talking the cards the just change the way you play the game.

Confusion in the ranks, thieves auction, the great aurora, scrambleverse, hivemind, etc.

I'm sort of interested in a 'Scion Teysa deck, albeit without Darkest Hour.

How do /edh/ threads manage to be worse than modern ones? All I see is crybabies complaining that nobody takes their advice and complaining about sol ring.

I actually built Kruphix when Prophet was unbanned and it was a blast. I built it exactly the way you described, as a hybrid hydra/eldrazi sort of thing. If you build it, it can be good and slot into most metas. How serious is yours? I have a giant list of all the secret tech I used to cheat fatties onto the field if you're interested.

Now, if you want something different, The Mimeoplasm is pretty good, but make sure you build it with the objective of winning without using him, so it's a little more difficult. Deveri is pretty good too, but for a little bit different of a playstyle.

>I think there are 3 ayli players at my store already.
Really? Holy shit on toast, I've never met another ayli player. Why do you want to play w/b user?

My group is more relaxed and casual. I have been looking at Jhoira, Kruphix, Maelstrom, Tasigur. I am not a Spike, more Johnny and Timmy.

Whos stronger, MW or Narset?

shouldn't this guy be pretty good as a commander?

>hard to remove
>fairly cheap
>guaranteed (doubled) value from creatures as soon as they enter

i like red's fastness but i don't like red's dogshitness, so wouldn't this be a good middle ground???

>All I see is crybabies

So, what, you decided to join them?

Build Kruphix. Your friends will start siding in cards specifically to stop Jhoira think about all those new eldrazi with seemingly useless effects involving creatures being moved from exile to the graveyard and Bananaman/Maelstrom draw a shitload of aggro just by playing them.

If you're in a casual meta, I'd suggest avoiding a 3 colour deck until you're confident with your deck building. Seriously, you either need a fuckload of money, or a very strong understanding of how to ramp lands.

Xenagos is an amazing commander, particularly in casual metas. I can't recommend him highly enough if you're looking to offset the bad in red without building RU nonsense.

>>Xenagos is an amazing commander

thanks for replying friend, anything specific i should build with him?

if it helps, i'm a very aggressive player and my main focus in every game is running down the blue fucktard who keeps countering my spells

Why would I? I don't complain about pointless shit like you retards

Kruphix it is. Thank you. Time to buy Seedborn Muse and enjoy that mana stockpile.

Where do you want to cheat them from? Meren is great for dumping Fatries in the graveyard and getting them back by doing what the deck already wants to do.

Kalia the Vast is the best for cheating from your hand, but expect to get hated out of games if you don't get rolling fast. Kalia scares a lot of people, righ fully so!

>I don't complain about pointless shit like you retards

You already have though.

Not really. I just made statements, your autism is just making it seem like I complained, perhaps you should take your meds.

Ah, an user after my own heart.

I'd build him straight up land-ramp into smash face. Use cards that fish basics and drop them onto the battlefield, particularly more than one at a time. My general strategy was to give something trample, drop something like Pathbreaker Ibex or Overwhelming Stampede, and swing for the game in one or two attacks. Double strike is your friend, and Kalonian Hydra is an all-star. Alpha Authority is a pretty good budget card to keep Xenagos alive. But that's just how I built him, I think he could be neat with a fuckload of goblins, but I don't really know how to build him like that. Ruic Thar is also a must-include, particularly if you want to make the blue player cry. Urabrask is pretty worthwhile too, but not quite a budget card. Elvish Piper, Wurmcoil Engine, Flamedash Rider and Feldon of the Third Path are all hilarious in that deck.

No problem user, have fun! If you want any spicy tech, I'll be happy to help you out once you get things a little better established. Jalaria Master Polymorphist is pretty good if you plan on dropping big creatures.

Now beware, I found myself stuck topdecking because I undervalued draw power. Make sure you have enough low-cost cards that ramp and draw you cards so you have a way of coming back once you drop all your creatures, your opponent hits you with an aetherize, and now you have an empty field.

And now you're complaining about his autism for recognizing that you were complaining like the complainers you were originally complaining about. Fuck user, you need to get off the internet for a while.

I just told him to take his meds. Just what exactly is the deal with people in this thread? now see that is a complaint I just had to point it out because you aren't very smart either

I want that so I can have a Domain commander so I can do some janky Maze's End shit.

But that's not a complaint, that's an ironic observation phrased sarcastically in an homage to Jerry Seinfeld. The other part of your post, where you're pointing out that you're faux-complaint is actually a complaint about the intelligence of the average poster in this thread.

Long story short, you don't belong here, go somewhere else. Or don't. You'll fit right in with the complainers.

>talks about seinfeld while posting john cleese

I can't believe how retarded you are. You should really take your meds

Does anyone have a Uril creature package I could take a look at? I have no idea how to build this guy, outside of slap enchantments and things that synergize with enchantments in a deck. RWG just seems like too good of a colour combination not to be smashing face with the rest of my deck.

Why is Wanderer tryhard if its luck-based?

Shits inconsistent as fuck in terms of hits.

Wanderer isn't try-hard, people just get mad when it works right and a mediocre deck crushes their $3000 monstrosity. That being said, it is boarderline unfair because you get to cast 3 cards for 8 mana. Maximum advantage you'd get is 24 mana for 8. Minimum you get is 10 mana for 8. I can see where they're coming from, but much like sol ring and mana crypt, it doesn't win the game on it's own.

I have a maelstrom wanderer deck and I personally think that its not worth running anything that you cant cascade into. If a card with 7CMC is revealed in the middle of a cascade trigger it just goes to the bottom of the deck, so you are unlikely to ever draw it imo.

Wanderer is 8, 7 gets hit.

Anyone here have playtime with Riku? I'm interested, but I'm wondering how fun he actually is to play. I'd have to buy a lot to run him.

Meant higher than 7CMC

Another fun cheater that nobody mentioned yet is Intet - she's pretty good to have combos and fatties, since the cheats she does are free for any spell or even lands! Just be sure to grab a Soothsaying and Vedalken Orrery.

That being said, she may not be what you're looking for. Just thought I'd mention one that I know most wouldn't because every other Intet player and their mother just runs Dragon tribal.

Ah, I see.

When your decks full of good cards it really doesn't matter what you hit. Also RUG is a good color combo.

You can stack the deck, ya know?

Not much of a crapshoot when you have a top or Mindsculptor or something.

I do love that the comments on the gatherer just didn't understand why See Beyond would be in the Maelstrom Wanderer deck, it means you can't stack it then!

They clearly missed that the deck was called fucking "Chaos Reigns".

Who should I build for big fatties and trampling meanies? Xenagos or Mayael?

So I'm trying to build a deck for every color combination. How insane am I?

>What are fetchlands
>What is Madblind Mountain
>What are tutors

Best card for it is probably Scroll Rack imo. Although personally I use Top and Sylvan Library.

Build Stonebrow. Be amazing.

Sylvan/Mystical/Wordly tutors are pretty stupid too

Not the guy you quoted, but if I weren't building a RG deck already I'd build Stonebrow.

Thinking about building a RIku deck. Anyone have any advice on how to play him? Thinking about using him for combo shenanigans.

22 is maximum, 8 is minimum. Wanderer can't hit two 8-drops, but he can hit two 0-drops.

kek

One player in my playgroup and his friend discovered 5 color superfriends and they both built it.

Any special tech i can use to counter them besides burn and combat in UR or RUG?

That wipe from Theros block that kills walkers too.

It only would take out one but Imprison in the Moon can target walkers

opinions on radha?

+ literally free mana acceleration early on
+ literally free damage early on too
- doesn't do anything else

>MW hits Mana Crypt and Ancestral Vision

oh no i got no value

Have you thought about building Omnath?

Just watch out for Doubling Season. That's honestly the only bullshit they can really pull. Otherwise, attack them.

And more Wraths hit them than you think.

And don't underestimate direct damage like comet storm.

oops that's not radha

Big fan of the bitch, but that's because I fucking love firebreathing and Rootwalla effects. But be aware, that red mana is doing fuck all unless you have outlets during that very step.

not that user but which one? Omnath, Locus of Mana is my baby

I didn't say it was no value. It's still 0 mana of value, technically. If you're going to use numbers to discuss strength, use them right.

She's very much a "Go big or go home". She can hand out ass-beatings in the early game, but you've GOT to explode or she falls behind fast.

Nah. Mono-decks are very low on my "to build" list, and Angry Omnath doesn't interest me.

What are the most "glass cannon" type commanders?

Fated Retribution is white though.

Already planning on using it once i order some more cards.

Doubling season is my number 1 target when playing against them. Ill hold removal in my hand knowing theyll play it and try to combo that turn.

My Mizzix build runs boardwipes that slow them both down considerably, especially when they drop tons of tokens. Should i be running more spot burn spells or spells that affect everything?

Well I mean you're hitting three cards for 8CMC so just about anything will be fine. Your worst hits will likely be more ramp to re-cast MW later.

Well there are alot of options in RG, You can even go RGx if you want. If you want big stompy creatures you can do:

Maelstrom Wanderer
Animar
Mayael
Surrak Dragonclaw
Either Atarka
Angrynath

Alright, I must not be making myself clear here

I -have- a RG deck in the works. I like it. I like what it's doing. I'm not asking for other RG ideas. I was just saying that if I didn't already have this RG build in progress, Stonebrow would be the RG deck I build.

NEWEST TRASH BREW

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-a-n-c-i-n-g-i-n-t-h-e-d-a-r-k/

Almost certainly need to trim some of the less-stellar little dudes for more mana rocks, removal, and board wipes.

run graveyard hate and you're set, Gruul doesn't use the GYU that much IIRC

Sorry, didn't see you mention colors.