WIP - Painting and showing off edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundas_Cactus_Festival
youtu.be/iBglxdOvcGM
youtu.be/HRRA0ZV72xs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for what do people think of this idea as a Space Marine Legion Basilisk? (Not mine, yet)

Its a bit top heavy.

Would like some feedback and tips on this, please:

yeah it could use some add on like the original basislisk has on the back

>Legion Basilisk
generally, I only approve of conversions and kitbashes if they're near the shape of the original model. This is especially important with vehicles, because TloS. If your bassie is smaller than an actual bassie would be, it'll get cover saves easier, which might make some players gripe.

is the user who posted these still around?

Much nicer looking than the original and more suited to the Legion visual style. Those are the most important things to me, I'd say go for it.

>tfw just got my paints and brushes I ordered from GW
>forgot to buy Imperial Primer because it's too hot to use spray primers
Looks like I'll be waiting to paint then.

First time I saw that kid, I was set on using it to build the burning saint I had thought about building for a while.

Normally it was just gonna be a SoB with fancy sword in a burning power armour, but then I decided to make her burst from her armor in flames.

Green stuff flames not added yet, but the naked half is gonna be on fire, including her hair, and the sword half is gonna be blood spattered. The base is gonna have her on a piece of burned wreckage protruding from the sand, one half burned with a crisp body, the other side with mangled corpse.

Typing that down makes it sound incredibly edgy.

it is very edgy, buti think it will come off as janky in a good way, i at least like the idea

First try at my first chaplain, think he needs some work, what should I do?

Nope, he ded

That will look awesome, especially if she is glowing like magma. Great idea, great use of a naked body

Probably paint the base

Looks perfect to me, just goblin green that base up and you'll be done.

I just bought my first box of centurions today and was really worried about being able to magnetize the weapons.

In this conversion it looks like it wouldn't be hard, do you think so as well?

I also bought a BA librarian in terminator armor, does Veeky Forums have any ideas on how to convert it to an IF librarian?

Pic is the BA one.

Right shoulderpads for my Bangles.

Literally impossible for me to get a decent picture of my marines. But whatever. Two tactical squads, a crusader squad, and a captain. Just got some scouts to put in with the crusaders, but they aren't even assembled yet. The guys with gold bits are marines that were given to me by a buddy, and I liked the contrast of the gold with the black. Some of them need arms though, or new pistols.

I think they're not too bad, for my first army.

Has anyone here tried Scale75 paints? They keep getting ridiculously good reviews and I've got half a mind to buy some sets and give them a shot.

>Has anyone here tried Scale75 paints?

I have not used Scale75 paints.
Any other questions?

Well you'd need to cover the BA icons, of which there are a lot.

What is your opinion on cacti?

By filing them down or green stuff-ing over them?

I have some GS, and some small files.

You could probably file a lot of them off. I actually have that model right in front of me; there is a symbol on each of his hips, his left knee, on both sides of his axe, on his belt, on his forehead, a chalice at his waist, his left pauldron (natch) and hanging from his combi-melta. The angel over the icon on his head is your call, but I think with some creative GS you could make it into an aquila.

I figured something like that, it's 40K after all.
Yeah, the idea was that she herself was basically turning into fire and sort of exploding from the armor. WhyI kept the funky looking arm, it could easily be made of fire.

Originally it was this picture that made me wanna build a saint and make and consequently make an SoB army.

Okay cool, I will look at those spots and see what I can do.

It is, obviously, in pieces right now and not assembled.

Just seems like an odd choice of conversion to me; iirc there is already a "generic" SM terminator librarian model. BA are normally covered in chapter iconography, just like this guy, so they seem hard to convert.

Here's a terrible quick snap I took while in the process of de-bloodifying the BA librarian. Basically the blood drops are easy to remove with a craft knife, the chalice required some filing and cleaning up to have a smooth transition with the tabard.

For IF you may want to do something about the angel holding the book (for my DA I'm simply beheading it and putting on a hood to make it a watcher) but it might be a general imperial thing. The laurel on the knee would be a nice place to put a fist over, as I'm pretty sure that's a symbol they use.

What size magnets would you guys recommend for magnetizing a Wraithknight?

Interestingly, I grew up in a town known as the "cactus capital of the Universe!"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundas_Cactus_Festival

There was a big green house near this swamp that we used to feed geese at and spot snapping turtles.
I bought a number of cacti from their green house, as well as various other carnivorous plants like venus fly traps and pitcher plants.

During the Cactus Festival, the down town core smells like hot dogs.
When I go back to visit sometimes the smell of hot dogs and the vendors and old shops really takes me back to being a kid.

Whats this for?

Blood Angels.

The only one my LGS had.

Awesome, thanks for the pic and ideas!

Did any of them grow arms and legs and chase people?

>then I decided to make her burst from her armor

There's gonna be a hurricane tonight.

I can't find my god damned gorilla pod anywhere!
WTF

>Blood Angels.

I think is *really* asking, "why would you go through the trouble of making 3D digital models of Blood Angel shoulder pauldrons? I mean, Emperor's Teeth, we all know what Blood Angel shoulder pauldrons look like, so I can't exactly say 'thanks for sharing!'"

Are those for use in a 3D printing application, so you can mass-produce (or, at least, receive in small batches) sets of Blood Angel shoulder pualdrons?

3d printing.

Stop thinking!
You are in Veeky Forums.

Why didn't you get the vanilla version instead of the BA one?

It was the only one they had in stock, and I ordered two of the regular ones.

I need 3 for a conclave and I wanted some variety, apparently the BA ones pose better.

>Why didn't you get the vanilla version instead of the BA one?

He said () it was the only one his LGS had. This means that he's either too thick to get one at a substantial discount online, or (what I'm *certain* is the case) is a noble soul who's paying a little more and working a little harder to make sure his LGS stays in business.

... and the model he bought was a Blood Angel, so there *is* that.

I don't get the jab (?) in the last line, but yes I like to order from my LGS.

I'm I got the BA version as I like my army to be WYSIWYG and I'm using a force axe, the head is separate part so it was easier to replace it with the helmet and it's slightly cheaper for the extra effort required.

Plus if they are using it for a conclave it's nice to have some variation.

IG converting progress

Everyone has the major backpack components done. Still needs straps on the underslung tanks, protruding ends on the upper tanks on the outside of the straps, and pouches/grenades I'm taking from the cadian sprues split up and attached to either side.

I feel like my sculpting has actually marginally improved over the course of this.

pic that vaguely inspired this and test mini

Finished my 10th trukk.

Not really painting, but does anyone have experience with modelling, outside of wargaming? Old ship or plane models? I'm bored, with a little bit of spending money, and a long way from my old favorite hobby shop that just had aisle and aisles of the stuff. Never had to buy online.

You can send me your money, I will continue my journey into GW.

I can even do it with a low cut shirt on if you want!

(sarcasm if it wasn't obvious)

Shit, son!
Make room for Max Headroom!

Just you wait...

I don't know enough to help, but I think that will be awesome if it works at all.

>printer paper background
>natural light
>cell phone camera

real fuckin' difficult, bud

Hard to get natural light at 10:30PM

Well, if you go for a Solid Snake look he's going to feel more bland because that's a character that deals heavily in stealth. He's supposed to go unnoticed.

I think either gun choice would work well, and if you want it to stand out maybe you could do that with a camouflage pattern on his fatigues. Maybe something like this, and you could make the wall brick.

I'm thinking of trying pic related for my Archai. So far I'm thinking

Mould with liquid green stuff
Celestra Grey
Nihilakh Oxide
Highlight white
Maybe some areas with green glaze.

That's basically the GW method for the spirits, reckon this would turn out well? I

That is why light bulbs were invented.
What the actual fuck.
Who cares if that is what someone suggested, use your fucking brain.

>I don't get the jab (?) in the last line

Oh no, it wasn't a jab! far from it!

>but yes I like to order from my LGS.

Good on ya! Keeping your LGS in business helps ensure you have a place to play.

Yeah he has been cool, and I had a 15% off coupon for my order.

>ensure you have a place to play.
No one pays me to play on my terrain :(
I pay them in chef prepared food, though.
And they actually always bring beers, so there is that! We need drop pods. After all, one of our players is a Space Wolves dog. Feet on the ground, my ass.

I dig it

Have all the angry people gone down for their naps?

I did have my light on. I'm not a fucking retard

Okay, make a lightbox. Take pictures with lamp (preferably 2).
You can make the box out of cardboard. two sides, a bottom, a back.
A sheet of white or black bristle board as wide as the interior and a bit longer to create a curve from the bottom front to the back top.

Now you too can take decent pictures with ease.

i have bopught them and will get them in a couple of days, if youi want i will post some experiences then.Though seriously i almost think they are shilling,the amount of stuff i read is strange.( on MaGie miniatures there is a review about their flesh set which seems more impartial than others i read if you are interested)

Wip of the crazy padre with chainsaw.

First time i tried adding the scribbles on these scrolls, how did i go?

fixed.

also notice how the lightbox is an envelope

Fixed

Neat, looking forward to it.
I just finished watching two reviews that show the paint in usage and I've got to say they look ridiculously good. I mean the guy is just slapping paint on there and it blends fucking effortlessly, it's impressive as fuck.

youtu.be/iBglxdOvcGM [Blue set]
youtu.be/HRRA0ZV72xs [Flesh tone set]

They're long videos, but he actually busts the paint out and puts it on a model. I don't think he's shilling, either; he trashes their gold set and is so-so on their ink set in previous reviews.

The way he paints that face makes it look fucking effortless. It's really crazy and I'm going to have to seriously think about picking some up in the future.

start of my shrine to nurgle
going to be a stacked cairn of squarish stones with some rusted weapons and fetishes piled around it

I've had most of their "colour" sets for a while now.
The standard paints are thick (ie. require a fair bit of thinning to use), but respond well to thinning and cover like nobodies business.
They also have an amazing ultra-matte finish. To use them for airbrushing is a bit tricky as they need to be thinned a tonne to work, but relatively speaking it does mean you get a lot of use out of a single bottle.

The metallic paints (and alchemy coloured metallic paints) are downright astounding.
Good coverage, beautiful colours, nice consistency and usable in an airbrush without significant thinning, these paints I downright love.
They have one downside though, they tend to settle quite fast (there's a lot of flake in them).
So make sure you add some agitators to each bottle, as you're going to need to give them a good shake before using them.

thank you for the videos

Yo man those guys look great.
Don't recognize where the legs are from though.
Victoria Miniatures?

It looks much better, and you've named it too! You're too kind.

I appreciate your effort and have taken the lesson in making my pictures better to heart. Thanks.

Hey /wip/, I was hoping I could get some suggestions from people who know more about good color composition than I do.

For Imperial Guardsman should I go with black flak armor with woodland camo fatigues (brown or green base broken up by splotches)?
Or should I go with dark green flak armor with black fatigues broken up by gray?

Online army painters are kinda crap for what I'm trying to go for so I don't have any examples I'm afraid.

anyone have an image of the star phantoms guy's dudes and his recipe?

I'd go for dark fatigues, camo armor.

The armor + helmet forms the top layer of most imperial models and will be what identifies them to you and your enemy, besides the weapons of course.
I'd also recommend to use a dark grey instead of straight black. Extreme tones like pure black and white should be kept for details and logos, so that you don't paint yourself into the literal corner.

remember that if you go for dark armour + camo pattern on a presumbably matched base, you're gonna have an overall dark model, and a horde army like IG in overall dark colours, despite how well it's painted, will just look like a dark blob on the tabletop.
i'd advise matching a dark camo pattern with some form of brighter flak armour, like the standard cadian of green with highlights, or if you do dark armour, lighter fatigues.

if you worry about fluff things like why have a camo pattern with a bright blue armour, consider something like the administratums inefficiency and adherence to rules resulting in something like the IG is simply 'not allowed' to deviate from use of designated uniform parts which more often than not do not help them blend in to their environment

Got quite a few infinity minis that I'm going to strip and repaint in a more consistent scheme. Fucking around with sliding the hue of various pictures, and came across this. The armor plating looks like Russ Grey/Fenrisian Grey and The Fang. But I can't find a good purple/red or maroon colors for the cloak bits. I remember old citadel red gore would look good for one of the alternating colors.

continued

TAG activated. Tikbalang's one of my new favorite Infinity models... not that there's a short list of those worthy of being favorites!

What the fuck does this mean

These look bloody amazing, I'm inspired.

Now I want to use this same idea to make some Possessed. If only they were any good...

I'm pretty sure the Rhino is the same size as a Chimera, only taller. So adding the turret and gun on there, it's quite likely even larger than a basilisk.

I'm trying to avoid the camo pattern purely because I want the entire force to have a cohesive look. That said it is all swamp/jungle themed and camo'D so perhaps I could apply your idea just with a more elaborate green pattern instead, like Leaf or Moss against an overgrown ruin? Any ideas for actual conversions I could do instead of camo, or perhaps on top of camo?

There's two poses I'm consider. First is the one I showed. the second is using the crouching pathfinder legs and the gun arm that is using the ear communicator, like he's peaking behind a wall to contact Shas'O Cam'bl about five-five-sixers and pineapples.

They look like mattresses.

What I mean by camo'D iniutially is because the force is painted Salamander green-ish, not with actual patterns, just a solid colour. Sorry if I seemed retarded.

certainly taller than the FW Legion Basilisk by the looks of it. The main gun on that is a lot lower down.

im gonna sand em and add some details on the rough spots to make them seem more like slabs of stone once theyre dry

A green camo pattern could work, but if you want to keep it cohesive I'm not sure what you could do to make it stand out and keep Snake's look.

The pose where he's communicating sounds cool, though I think the biggest hurdle is a way to get him to pop. I'm not sure how possible it is, but a CQC pose with the pistol and knife could be cool.

The armor itself could be where you get him to stand out. The fatigues could be the green the rest of your army is, the armour could maybe be a light grey or something.

That's what's driving me crazy, really. It's not like the Fireblade where he clearly has different styled armour despite being a Fire Warrior leader. Darkstrider looks pretty much like any long-haired Pathfinder, just with a slightly enlarged backpack, google glass and longer hair.

What I keep coming back to is "change the armour somehow", something clearly shows he's wearing a modified special pattern armour to befit his status. Just having a frustrating creative block.

>Mould with liquid green stuff

What are you even talking about?

Nice collection.

I've just bought a terminator librarian for my dark angels army - what do you think, should i do him full blue, or make him deathwing themed too?

Pretty good but you should really practice your blending a bit more

Blue with the appropriate shoulder pads. Like you can see from the Dark Vengeance box, this is their official way of doing it. It's your army though, do what you like best.

I'm drawing a blank on the armour too, maybe he could have no armour? It would make him look closer to Snake, and it would make him stand out just by it's exclusion. Though I don't know if that's an option.

Give him one of the million spare Deathwing shoulderpads you should already have and you're set.

This is edgy as fuck but it's warhammer we're talking about. Go for it
But what are you gonna do with that hand? It looks very not imperial