Things that make you drop a group/game in an instant

>The GM tells you that your martial build is cheesy because you can deal shitloads of damage in one turn.
>Says nothing to the mage who consistently ends every major encounter before anyone else gets a turn.

Why is this allowed?

Have you tried NOT playing D&D 3.5 and later?

There are a lot of red flags to watch out for in new D&D players:

> children ("oh sorry I can't come this weekend I have to watch the little guy while my wife is out fucking other men")
> part-time job with unstable schedules ("oh sorry I can't come I have to work that night")
> women ("oh teehee which one is the d20 again?")
> fat people ("oh did I eat all the potato chips? heh, sorry")
> anime faggots ("why won't you let me base my characters off of helsing??")
> people who laugh too much ("lololol I want to play a retarded bard with 5 Int HAHA I ROLLED A NATURAL 20 YOU HAVE TO LET ME DO IT")
> edgelords ("but drow are a core race now. why can't I play one? what do you mean I'll get lynched in every fucking village I go to??")
> gay people ("but the book says I can play as a gay man! I'm gonna go hit on every man in teh city to make the DM uncomfortable. Wait why is my character getting stabbed to death by the town guard??")
> New DMs ("lol so I'm going to basing this campaign off of Skyrim")

Fuck em. All of em. This really should be added as a sticky in advice for DMs of which players to avoid.

>GM/one of the players models their GM-ing/playstyle after Veeky Forums memes or acts like a stereotypical grouchy Veeky Forums grognard
>GM/one of the players genuinely believes in /pol/ memes

Listen, I'm aware of its issues and I was just joining a game for nostalgia and to fill out a few hours on a Thursday evening.

But my fucking issue was, why do so many GM's have an issue with martials actually killing enemies in one turn, yet mages can actively end whole encounters in one turn, to the detriment of everyone else's agency, yet nobody gives a shit because "lol, magic?"

>my grandfather taught me to play OD&D when I was eight years old
>people with part-time jobs can still tell their boss they can't work one night a week as long as they let them know starting a couple weeks in advance
>there are women who've played their whole lives
>fat people can still not eat all of someone else's food
>people who like anime can just not base everything on anime
>people who laugh too much can be told to calm down a little
>edgelords can be told to reign it in
>gay people can just not try to fuck everyone, and it's not like a DM is going to like you trying to fuck every single female NPC either
>all DMs are new at first
I know you're trolling, but fuck off.

>straight men ("I'm gonna slap the bar wench on the ass! That's unarmed strike, right?")
>white people ("So orcs are basically niggers, right?")
>people from Veeky Forums ("What is this shit? Fuck no I'm not playing D&D, why would I do that when I have this homebrew game I've been working on for years. Help me playtest it")

> your grandfather was no longer raising children

> you're joking if you think people making 7.50 an hour are going to give up their precious 20 bucks to game with you. People who work in retail / fast food are invariably selfish fucks.

> most women have not played RPGs their whole lives and are there to soak up attention

> fat people DO eat everyone else's food, how the fuck do you think they got fat?

> people who like anime base half their fucking characters off of some anime. Unless to you "liking anime" means some faggot who watches Attack on Titan. I hate anime but even I know that's casual tier

> gay RPG players are cancer

> most new DMs never improve and railroad the fuck out of everyone

>But my fucking issue was, why do so many GM's have an issue with martials actually killing enemies in one turn, yet mages can actively end whole encounters in one turn, to the detriment of everyone else's agency, yet nobody gives a shit because "lol, magic?"

That's not agency you fucktard, agency is your control over your fucking character which is not violated by the fact that you are inferior at your job. Your fault for picking that class, and no one else's.

To be fair, orcs ARE basically niggers.

user, have you considered that you were the cancer all along?

So just because I decided to roll a martial, it means that I, and everyone else in the party who rolled lower than the resident mage, should just resign ourselves to being background characters to the mage who had the good fortune of picking a class that can end every single encounter before anyone else gets a turn?

Shit like that is why I dropped my last group, the mage gets to render my involvement moot with only one of his many game-ending spells but I get accused of being a power gamer because I can deal like 60 damage on average?

The fuck sense does that make?

It doesn't. Getting a better DM/Group makes sense.

Also, pic related for

>Shit like that is why I dropped my last group, the mage gets to render my involvement moot with only one of his many game-ending spells but I get accused of being a power gamer because I can deal like 60 damage on average?

Yep

>The fuck sense does that make?

It's called, get good at the game.

Worst thread on Veeky Forums right now.

Now I remember why I stopped playing 3.5 for a couple of years.

Too much NOFUNALLOWED faggotry.

Yeah, third edition tends to attract the shitters.

Best just to ignore them, let them enjoy their game, and thank god that they're not shitting up your community.

What? I'm talking about 5e..........

Oh, so you're an idiot.

For the record, 5e doesn't have any SoL/SoD spells and if they do, I've never seen them in the months we've been playing it.

>For the record, 5e doesn't have any SoL/SoD spells and if they do, I've never seen them in the months we've been playing it.

And that's part of why 5e is utter shit.

>Waaaaah, why can't my mage end everything in one turn?

> wahhhh why can't I play a viable monk or ranger???

If:

>Game has more than 4 players (including DM)
>Players have characters of the opposite gender
>Elves or kender are playable races
>Group members meet sociably outside of roleplaying
>Game is held in a "public" place, like a game store
>Equipment is bought at character creation

RUN

Have to agree with most of this. I have actual experience with most of them... Most recently I ran a game where a player was "trans" who was ALSO an avid anime fan. Hnnnnggggg!

Jesus Christ if they didn't bring up the fact that they were trans every chance he/she/it got. OH -- and their character was based on April O'Neil from the weeaboo-fied version of TMNT.

Actually, there are remasters for monks and rangers floating around, which is very welcome in my opinion.

Only one out of the 4 monk subclasses has much issue, and the others are quite solid. Hunter Rangers are also decent, while its mainly Beastmasters who struggle.

And the gap is certainly narrower between the worst 5e classes and the best 5e classes compared to the same in 3.5.

>Implying you can do that in 3.5

So you never play any games?

>It's called, get good at the game.
He managed to do more damage than the GM was expecting. That sounds like he got good to me.

The GM complained. Which sounds like a GM who doesn't want players to get good.

Aside from the kender, what's wrong with the rest of those? Especially, what's wrong with meeting sociably outside of roleplaying?

>> you're joking if you think people making 7.50 an hour are going to give up their precious 20 bucks to game with you. People who work in retail / fast food are invariably selfish fucks.

They won't just be giving up the time they spend playing. They will likely have to give up the entire shift so that it can be given to someone else.

Maybe more. Some bosses will tell their staff that they either work the assigned shift or they get fired.

>playing a "low powered" pathfinder game
>make a blaster mage
>no traits, no crossblooded sorcerer
>gm super upset because i can do the same damage as the fighter three times a day

I keked

I will silently gather my things and leave if
>DM uses "like" as a filler
>DM or anyone else has facial hair
>anyone wearing a shirt with any kind of image or pattern on it
>I sneeze three times in the first session and don't get exactly two "bless you"s
>anyone left-handed sitting closer to the restroom than I am
>a female player playing a human or half-orc character
>any player who isn't directly related to the DM works in emergency services

Autism

>human only pcs
>elves exist in the setting

No, nope, no way.

It has always ended in Tolkien level wank for the elves that will be better than humans in every way. I have seen 6 different dms over three group do this that I now just find a reason to drop after it.

Look, it's That Guy.

I would think that if they met socially outside of gameplay, that means it's LESS likely they're autistic.

Also, many autistic people still get lonely and crave friendship, even if they aren't very good at social interaction.

>anyone left-handed sitting closer to the restroom than I am

literally worse than hitler

>DM uses "hardcore" to describe the game
>Any players are blatantly furries / pony freaks.

Seems like you should silently gather your things and leave this planet.

What does the former denote in the context of RPGs? Old school/challenge-based dungeon crawly stuff? Or something else?

5e is pretty much 4e reskinned without the understanding of what healing surges are.

Shit's estus.

He is probably not a friend of the Midnight setting.

Have you tried not playing with shit groups? I played 3.PF for years, usually as a martial, and never had problems being relevant in combat.

>Some bosses will tell their staff that they either work the assigned shift or they get fired.

I worked part time for a long time, and this was never the case. Everyone has shit going on besides work, and the boss' job is to schedule around it.

>DM or anyone else has facial hair
Good to know how to keep you out of my games, should you ever wander into my flgs.

Eh, we're in the Curse of Strahd module now, and our DM told us that the Barovians are so twitchy and insular they'll freak out over a non-human. He didn't want us having that keep getting in the way whenever we got to a town.
I mean we're a six person party so any time savers are useful, but I don't think he's "too beautiful and noble" kind of guy.

Normal elves okay.

Using elves as a means to throw in magic wielding enemies in a game where casters are banned is shit. Also fuck anyone who has this type of game, they have obviously magical items described to us that only work for elves.

I don't mind challenge based dungeon crawls, but if the GM defines the game as "hardcore" I'll bail the fuck out. I die enough by myself as is.

Have shit job, can confirm

top meme

So, none of the people you were playing with cast Contagion.

5e has the worst fanboys. Not only do they REEE whenever anyone mentions 3e, the claims they make aren't even true.

>wants to run or suggests playing some shit game with undo points featured anywhere but in some obscure and shitty luck related optional class
nope, you said this was going to be a role playing game, retard. if you want to play pretend without dice that's fine, but don't pretend you are playing a game

Kind of a dumb nitpick, I know, but I have an issue with anyone who goes on at length about how great and/or badass their character is before a game even begins.

Also, anyone who goes out of their way to be edgy and/or wacky randum xD! basically means I'm guarandamnteed to leave the group.

I think that the group being people who meet outside of the game doesn't work if they're playing in a public space, if some members aren't meeting outside of the game, or if it started as a game group first and then started meeting.

I only play D&D with my bros though, we flexibly schedule, and it's good time.

Why the Dr. Who twins couldn't use their time wobbly stuff to save her???? Whyyyyy???!!!

>> fat people DO eat everyone else's food, how the fuck do you think they got fat?

I became fat by sitting on my ass and buying more food than thin people (it also helps my crippling depression in very short bursts). You don't have to be a thief to be a lardass.

I know you are trolling, but there are people that actually believe that shit.

>GMPC's.
>Mark Rein-Hagen
>Players or GM's with no volume control.
>GM plays favorites with friends or significant others.
>Nasty play area/ hygiene of the other players.
>Angst.
>Snuff film adventures.
>Accusations of meta-gaming when trying to teach new players the rules.
>Magical Realm.
>Angst, which is Mark Rein-Hagen's Magical Realm.

>children ("oh sorry I can't come this weekend I have to watch the little guy while my wife is out fucking other men")
>edgelords ("but drow are a core race now. why can't I play one? what do you mean I'll get lynched in every fucking village I go to??")
Gee, how does it work refusing to play D&D with yourself?

Can you post this in Google drive and link it?

From what I've seen, any DM who describes a game as "hardcore" is going to try for a "difficult but fair" game but will fuck it up. Either it'll be a cakewalk and the DM will get increasingly frustrated or there will be periodic "rocks fall" moments because the players didn't notice that thing the DM didn't mention.

>only work for elves
To be fair, if I was an Elf making some sweet magic items for some Elf friends of mine and those muggle Humans didn't have magic at all, I would seriously consider making the enchantments specifically so that they only worked for Elves.

iirc 3.X has something like this you can do under the cursed items section, and I assume you can pull it off with some splatbook or another in AD&D but I'm not familiar with which one.

>NEET gets angry at people with a social life.

I have tried playing 4th but we can never gather enough players

I'm fat because I have the metabolism of a lizard b8man.

>Instantly leaving the table because a single player has a PC who's the opposite gender.

So you're telling me you've not once got bored playing the same computer game that you played inverse gender? You're telling me you've never enjoyed a book with a female protagonist?

>Not liking Elves.

>Not liking any social interaction. Not even "Hey, wanna meet up this weekend for a BBQ?"

...So if you're not buying equipment or items in character creation I'm guessing there aren't many roleplaying games you actually do play.

>user complaining about Pathfinder/3.5.

>user pissed he can't be a sexy Elven boy.

Excellent, m8
(assuming you are not serious)
(why does Veeky Forums assume every foolish thing is unironical?)

Same

>Mark Rein-Hagen
Who?

I once dumped a game because one of the players was a weeaboo with a terrible speech impediment that made it nigh impossible to understand her, and that sort of thing really grates on my nerves. That and she had a habit of telling other players to shut up so she could have the spotlight, and because I found it creepy that a 40-ish woman with an anime obsession was hanging around a university role playing club.

>Things that make you drop a group/game in an instant
If any of them post on Veeky Forums

Are you implying that 3rd edition is fine?

Game designer and writer that pops a boner over pain and suffering. Dude wrote a game about being a tortured soul in hell. He's the main reason why the World of Darkness setting sucks so much.

>our DM told us that the Barovians are so twitchy and insular they'll freak out over a non-human.
He's running Ravenloft right.

>I played 3.PF for years, usually as a martial, and never had problems being relevant in combat.
How? Literally, how? Caster supremacy is not a rare or randomly occurring problem, it's an innate flaw built into the bedrock foundation of the d20 system. Every time this discussion starts, one of you guys shows up and says "it's never been a problem for us", and none of you can explain how you dodged it. It's like you said "I've been driving my car with a missing tire for years, and never had an issue"; it doesn't make any sense.

Look, I've taken the liberty of listing every possible means of averting casters making martials irrelevant I can think of and gathered them into this form, here. Please look it over and check all that apply to your group's playstyle.

>So, none of the people you were playing with cast Contagion.

Apparently not. Then again, I don't think anyone has bothered playing a wizard yet so take that as you will.

>5e has the worst fanboys. Not only do they REEE whenever anyone mentions 3e, the claims they make aren't even true.

Even if contagion is powerful, it's still nowhere near as game-breakiing as the multitude of SoL/SoD spells that the average mage can afford to sling at no major cost in third edition.

I mean, contagion allows multiple saves, has a range of touch, and can still be affected by abilities and effects that lessen or remove diseases.

That, and it's a 5th level spell so, at best, you'll only be able to affect like three people before having to take a long rest to restore your spell slots.

Party Splitting Motherfuckers.
People who can't accept it's a team.
>Playing Star Wars: EotE
>Not a perfect game, but it's fun and quite casual
>From the first part of the Campaign, this one motherfucker wants to go full murder-hobo and kill someone every other scene
>If it's 2 minutes of dialogue, he's looking for someone to kill or fight
>Every. Single. Scene. has to be about him / recognizing how great Scaley McDicksuck the Trandoshan Bounty Hunter is
>Actively threatening other players' characters in the RP
>Actively threatening their characters while out of character
>Other players just humbly bow to this, and I as GM have to actively prevent bullying
Ridiculousness. I never understood narcissism in a roleplaying game: it's supposed to be among friends, and it's supposed to be a bit of fun for all parties involved, but there's always one guy fucking things up.

Yeah, I was just being silly. I take shit on a case-by-case basis and have actually never dropped a campaign because of issues with anyone else, except in the one case where we all did because it wasn't just railroading but, "we literally didn't talk for half an hour while the DM had his self-created waifu and his retired player character eyefuck each other and then walk us through the Elemental Plane of Evil killing shit that was way too high level for us."

When there is a couple in the group and it's clear one of them is only there because they want to keep an eye on the other.

>Have long term group
>gf of one guy insists on joining us to make sure he won't cheat on her with all the straight men in our group
>whatever, maybe she'll get into it
>creates the most generic melee charaacter ever
>pisses about on her phone the whole time
>never does ANYTHING out of combat even when NPC's talk directly to her or situations are set up for her to deal with
>have to yell to get her attention
>doesn't pay attention in combat
>when she finalyl realises it's her turn she struggles to remember which minifig represents her.
>ONly ever does the same attack (double sword bash)
>has to be reminded of the modifiers each time

Eventually we stopped inviting her because it was clear she wasn't enjoying it. Then she got really pissed when she found out and tried to stop her bf from coming.
He chose us because he's a bro.

But srsly guize, Don't invite people to RPG's unless you know they're willing to get involved.

>based on a cartoon
I don't watch cartoons, I don't get the references.

Saying that tolkien "wanked" over elves is stupid. Modern fantasy elves literally didn't exist when Tolkien wrote. He wasn't picking a pre-existing concept and deciding to glorify them, he literally INVENTED modern elves. The "wanking" was the whole purpose for the elves to be in the story. They were supposed to make mythological civilizations and great heroes, and then be shown slowly going away from the world. There was no need to "balance" them against other races because it wasn't a fucking rpg setting

same reason why Veeky Forums is one of the easiest boards to troll:
All that shit where you say "No one is that stupid. Everyone will surely recognize that I'm just joking."? There are people who really ARE that stupid.

Having run Ravenloft back during 2nd Ed, yeah that does sound about right. The Barovians are a super paranoid folk. Given that anything non-human is usually out to eat them, and that demihumans are super rare, an elf could be mistaken for a vampire.

>>Players have characters of the opposite gender
fuck off why does it matter to you if the game if helping my dysphoria?

>female GM
>male players both have girlfriends
Not going to end well.

>girlfriends
I take it you haven't played Bioshock Infinite, have you?

I don't have a bf to game with.

I'm another person who played 3.X for a while and didn't have (many) problems. The secret, essentially, is to play with people who are aware that 3.X is imbalanced (and in which ways) and who work to make sure they don't overshadow anyone else. For example, when I play a Wizard or something I focus on buffing the team and somewhat on debuffing the enemies. I don't drop encounter-ending spells, I don't min-max my save DC to ungodly levels (I try to get a high casting stat, sure, and I might pick up Spell Focus if I'm casting a bunch of stuff from one school, but that's about it), and I try not to barge into anyone else's niche.

iirc a lot of the point buy superhero games also have some pretty serious imbalances and at least a couple of them have a paragraph near the beginning saying something along the lines of "we know you can totally break this game and be a double-superpowered god. Please don't because that tends to ruin everyone else's fun."

Basically, just try to leave room for everyone else to have fun around you, and make sure you're in a group where everyone else is doing the same.

>Anyone flirts with me OOC during session
>Anyone drinks more than one alcoholic beverage during session
>Homebrew classes or races allowed
>Anyone wants to bring his GF who has never gamed before to the session
>foxes anywhere in the game for any reason
>GM won't let me play evil alignments ever
>Starting at level 1 in 3.5
>VTM ST jokes about breaking rule 1 of LARP
>VTM ST uses excessive formal speech OCC.
>Excessive paraphernalia for any organized religion in your home
>Use of weed or illegal drugs during session
>Doesn't allow for bullshitting time before and after session
>I would be joining a game that's been going on for more than 4 sessions or so.

The key is to not tell them you need off for tabletop. Make something up that sounds more important to normies.

I couldn't agree more. Since you'll never get a sticky I took the liberty of screencapping your list so it can be posted over and over.

12 hour adventuring days instead of 5 minutes.