Warhammer 40k General

The Emperor's Shadow Edition

Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/45a5qf/which_squads_can_an_hq_join/czwa17f
youtube.com/watch?v=59NiCgSov8I,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any games this weekend?
New models on their way or being worked on?
Any recent rumors?

Alright, I've been on vacation since last monday, what have I missed in the two weeks that I've been gone?

D E A T H W A T CH

Shame eldrad will not get the big black ceramite to keep the timeline intact, but I'm pretty fucking hype for more after overkill.

2000points of Ravenwing and Deathwing against Orks tomorrow. Hopefully toned my list down enough to have a good time purging demos.

Nothing but the CSM FAQ you can look at yourself.
Most of them are associated retarded and shouldn't have needed answers.

>using this OP

Oh now you've done it!

Nothing of any merit. IA14 will be out '''(((soon)))''' and HH Book 7(?) or whatever.

>CSM FAQ
Dang it, I was hopeing I'd be here to see all the REEEEing going on here about it.

Did I make decent choices for my special weapons and such on my start collecting Scions, Veeky Forums? I'm newer to this so please no bully.
For my command squad, my Tempestor Prime has a hotshot laspistol and a combat weapon, and the other tempestors have a medic kit, a platoon standard, a flamer, and a melta.
My normal scion squad's tempestor has a powerfist and boltpistol, and the scions consist of 2x hotshot lasguns, 1 hotshot volleygun, and 1 grenade launcher.
My commissar has a boltpistol and power sword, along with the lord commissar stuff because I wanted him to be fancier and all that.
Last, up to slight change because things can still be added on this, is my Taurox Prime with the hotshot volleyguns, a missile launcher, and fire barrels.

I think this OP is adorable but I wish that skitarii was better and there were a few more meme factions like inquisition, harlequins and a few others.

Also a chilling in the same artwork thrown in for good measure.

Pic from my last game. Tempestus Command squad bravely holds the line against the Ork menace.

> The Hunters’ Prey: After deployment is complete, pick an HQ unit in the enemy army to be this Formation’s primary target, then two other units to be the Formation’s secondary and tertiary targets. The primary target is the Formation’s prey at the start of the game; once that unit is completely destroyed, the secondary target becomes the Formation’s prey, and so on. When attacking their prey, units from this Formation re-roll failed To Hit and To Wound rolls. In addition, if a unit from this Formation charges their prey, they have the Furious Charge special rule until the end of the phase.

What happens if the enemy army is Skitarii, or some other list that doesn't involve HQ units?

There was plenty of that just after the FAQ dropped.

Personally, I was really happy to see the buff to hellbrute. I'll actually use them now.

Taking my Crons against Ad Mech tomorrow.
Not bringing any wraiths or destroyers.
This is my opponents first 2000pts game so I want to have some fun.
Still bringing decurion with a bunch of warriors, an orikan star and two doom sycthes or an Anhillation Nexus, can't decide.

Just pick another unit.

Suffer not the Xenos to live.

Do I still pick three units, or just two?

Played a game today. IG and Raven Guard vs Black Templars and Necrons. Won narrowly.

If you want him to have fun, I'd suggest an Annihilation Nexus. AdMech have literally one unit with skyfire, and while it's good, it's expensive as balls and a lot of people don't take it, preferring to rely on snapshots.

See what your opponent is cool with.

They were allies for my main eldar force :^)

Got my ads handed to me by Tau Suits today.
Have a game against Imperial Guard tomorrow and I am much more confident that The Grandfather will bless me with victory.

Working on a telltale and by work I mean put together some pieces and think how I will nurgify it.
May look into a Sorcerer on a bike to go with my bike Lord.

Nothing. The perk requires an HQ; no HQ, no effect.

It's just that simple

Traditionally, my opponent views my list as my business, and having to ask him how my list works is a way of slowing down the game and seeming like I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. Having to ask my opponent to look over a slate that isn't even for his army 9/10 of the time, figure out how it works, and make his own ruling for it, just seems incorrect.

Disgusting filth.

What do sections bring that elder could possibly want.

Our sister player picked up two Start Collecting Scion boxes and has a handful of inquisition he has been running all together that has been fantastic and fluffy.

Then just go for three.

Fuck all my auto corrects.

Telltale is heldrake

Posted in the old bread....

I am running a librarius conclave in the IF sternhammer formation detailed in the pic.

I am pretty new, so all of the psyker disciplines look pretty cool, but I don't really know which one would be best for me.

Do you guys have any idea what disciplines I should put on each of the 3 librarians for this army?

I was running the Hellrain Brigade. Just wanted to try them out. I'm gonna make a new force comprised of Skitmech, Scions, and Inquisition.

slowly pushing through painting my swarmy nids, still have a good 80 gaunts to go

Don't you hate it when Tau battle suits come around handing you advertisements when you just want to go home and write a tall tale about nurgle.

>Any games this weekend?
Imperial Guard vs. Grey Knights

First time going against them so I have no idea what to expect.

All I know is he will bring his two dreadknights and use the new powers that I don't know.

First game in a few months since works been busy.

2000points so bringing my Shadowsword and Emperors Wrath as well as 3 Leman Russ.

No games this week, but I tabled my Tyranid friend turn 3, last weekend. I bring my Macharius Vulcan, 3 Artillery Carriages, and Vulture against everyone I fight, but it was too much for him. I'm a faggot and need to tone it down for next time.

Working on my Inquisition addition to my IG force.

I'm looking at starting an IG and allied Inquisition army. Whether I want them to be loyalist or renegades I'm not sure of yet. I want to use the D-99 or maybe the Renegades & Heretics using the Bloody-Handed Reaver for the Demagogue.

Not sure about what color scheme to go with either, so I'm scouring history.

I've got a Battle of the Century with a Chaos player this weekend. I'm bringing AdMech War Convocation and he's bringing what he considers his best units, at 2000 points. I've had to supplement with a few other pieces, all Imperial, but I've got his okay for all of it. I'd post my list, but I'm not sure if he lurks here or not. Hi, Ian

Thinking about my upcoming army expansion. Will need techpriests and servitors. Don't like how servitors look and FW models are made of soft, buttery carcinogens that I do not want to be worrying about in this Florida weather.

So after going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth on the matter I think I've finally decided to proxy tempestus troopers as servitors, fluffing them out as tech-alcolites who assist their enginseer in battle.

The advantage here is, the hot-shot lasguns could be easily modded to look like supersized power drills, the volley gun can tricked out into a riveter, the power fist for a third guy, and the medical kit can be sanded down and repurposed into a tool box. Not sure what I could do with the grenade launcher, if anything. But I think this'll get a pass so long as I use the heads with repirators on them.

Does sledgehammer still get it's bonuses with conclave libs added to the units?

Either way if you are WAACy enough to bring a conclave then go for invisibility. After you get it divination can be helpful.

The Renegade's color scheme should consist of many different and unique shades.

Of Ugly.

Like a rainbow.

Of Ugly.

So Telepathy is the best discipline, Invisiibilty is obviously overpowered and psychic shriek is pretty good too. The rest;

Daemonology (Sanctic): Cool perks, but better suited for GK and perils is a big threat. Okay.
Daemonology (Malefic): Also good, summoning is pretty OP, but requires lots of dice and perils makes that a pretty big threat. Not great.
Telepathy: Fucks with opponent, and aforementioned Primaris and Invis. Best one if you get Invis.
Divination: Depending on what you roll, it can be very good. Full BS snapshots, 4+ invuln, etc. Very good.
Telekinesis: Primaris is not great, but each power is pretty solid, albeit fairly situational or up to chance. Maelstrom is kickass tho.
Biomancy: Very good, especially useful for placement in a melee-heavy unit.
Pyromancy: Probably the worst, not bad just everything else is better. The melts beam is nice tho.

AoD powers:
Fulmination: 4+ armies will hate you. Also, who doesn't want to be Emperor Palpatine? Against 4+, top tier. Anything else, just okay.
Geokinesis: Unless you're playing really, really terrain/building heavy games then skip it. Earth blood is pretty awesome, though.
Technomancy: If you're playing against a vehicle heavy list, this top tier. Anything else, even against just 3-4 vehicles, not worth it.
Librarius: Pretty Awesome. The Primaris is good, most all powers do some serious work, all around pretty solid.

Just figure out what you need, and go from there. Don't pick one discipline banking on a single power though, that'll leave you in trouble.

Divination, for Prescience on things that aren't bolters (that should be a lot of things, despite you being Sternhammer).

Telepathy, because Invisibility is the best power in the game, bar none.

If you get Invisibility on your Telepathy librarian, go Librarius, to make the one caster into a minor god.

>not making scions+deathwatch

The Emperor's Children or any Slaaneshi warband?

I'll take a look when their codex comes out but I don't really like space merines that much.

What does WAAC mean?

Yes the command spot can be a conclave.

Thanks, awesome analysis.

I thirst for heresy, post your best heretical pics.

This is the list, I posted the wrong pic.

You're doing a very different list than I do, and I wish you well with it. Also, you can't have both Bones and Shield Eternal on the same HQ, as of the most recent FAQ.

Ah, I didn't know that.

This is my first army, so anything you see glaring feel free to point out.

Win
At
All
Costs

Someone who will forgoe all courtesies, rules lawyer out the ass, spam the worst cheese imaginable, and measure every single thing you do (while he's going 9-10 inches in the movement phase) just so he can win.

He's that guy, and he's the death of fun.

Are Warpsmiths technically sorcerers? They have to bind daemons into dinosaur shaped machines so that's going to take a little sorcery yes? On a related note what job is probably going to be comfy or grief filled? Being an apothecary, a techmarine, or a chaplain?

Aw that's not what I am trying to do.

I just like IF, and I saw that I could use psychic units in 40k where I can't in 30k.

I did this on a /hhg/ last year. By all of the loyalist legions combined I am Captain Loyalist.
That marine on the bottom left became a reaction image I can't find at the moment, but that confused Sister is too perfect. Isn't this an official image?

Missile launchers are generally sort of bad on Devs. As a Fist, you can make them work, but focus is better than lack thereof.
Combi-Grav seems strange on the sarge of the last tactical squad. I assume you're planning to combat squad?
Dozer Blades are pretty not-worth-it.
Multi-melta is usually a bad idea on drop troops. It won't get to fire,at full BS, because turn one they'll drop and you're not relentles, and turn 2, you're charged and not leaving combat alive. Also, a grav pistol? Really? I'd recommend trading that out for a combi-melta, personally.
Third tac squad is also getting combat squidded, I assume. A single heavy bolter isn't going to do much, but you can build it from a starter box, so I can't really hate it too much.
Where is Lysander hanging out? Like, what squad?

You're not being WAACy, Librarius conclaves are good but not inherent WAAC shot or even OP.

The issue is it can get insanely powerful, so people are fairly quick to call OP.

Also, despite you being Imperial Fists, the sternhammer does not have a fortification slot. You cannot take an aegis line with it. I wish, believe me. But you can't.

What I've been doing (and having some minor success with) is taking 2 tactical squads with meltas or grav in drop pods, an assault squad with flamers in drop pod, and a tactical squad in a rhino with plasma, led by a chaplain that hangs out with the assault squad. Everything else is dev squads. The devastators shoot over the head of my allies and ruin their shit, and the tactical squads create a line the enemy's fast-moving bullshit has to get through to hit my devs. This falls apart against hover-armies, for obvious reasons.

It does look official, but I can't find the source.

I had missile launchers for the flakk missiles, because I was light on AA. I took them out for the aegis line.

I am not intending to combat squad simply because I am so new, I chose sarge weapons that were kind of similar to the squad heavy/special weapons.

I don't mind taking off the dozer blades, was just told they were good for 5 pts.

I have no idea what I am doing on the tactical squads other than specializing them in meta/plasma etc. Once again the pistol just seemed cool?

Lysander, I am not sure I just like him.

Oh no! That really sucks!
What do you do for anti air?

> What do you do for anti-air?
There's very little air combat locally, and lascannons, even snapfiring ones, keep flyers jinking. In 1750+, I'll slot in a Missile squad and give them all flak.
If you're not planning to combat squad, those tactical squads are absurd. You are aware that if you move a guy with a heavy weapon, he snapfires? It's good for threatening things, but not for actually hurting them.
Find a place for Lysander. Do it. He's useless without a unit to lead.
If you're specializing a squad for melta/plasma, i usually suggest 1 marine with the relevant special weapon and the sarge with the relevant combi. If you're willing to combat squad, leaving behind 5 guys with a heavy weapon that matches what you're pushing forward is also useful.

I just feel like my list is totally crap now, the perils of being new to the game.

What makes the tactical squads absurd? What is a good build for one to roll all of them together?

They're not absurd if you combat squad them! If you do that, you're essentially buying one five man squad with a plasma gun, for instance, and one five man squad with a lascannon to stay back and engage stuff from afar. The only thing I'd really change is to drop the multi-melta and the combi-grav to a combi-melta and a combi-plas, and even then the combi-grav can get work done. Just, you're really going to want to combat squad them.

Also, when you have the dozer blades off, consider looking into an Omniscope for the Centurions. I haven't used one myself for a while, but I remember them being 10 points, and they allow you to change your threat range significantly.

Also, I figured out where Lysander is going, but it involves a trick that might be from a prior edition of the game. If it's possible (Someone else, please confirm) you can add the Librarius Conclave and Lysander together, and simply field them as a single unit marching across the field. Lysander stands in front and takes shots, everyone else stays back and throws psychic powers. you suddenly don't NEED the Shield Eternal. Possibly use those 50 points to bump the other 2 librarians up to ML2.

Okay, I appreciate the help.

Kind of dejected knowing I cant FORTIFY MY POSITION with my favorite legion in 40k.

I'm sure if I saw it done I would understand it more, but what is the real idea with combat squadding. You have 5 in the rhino, to run off and do things? and the 5 outside to stay back and pew pew?

A quick google search yields this: reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/45a5qf/which_squads_can_an_hq_join/czwa17f

I'm going to make those changes and see what it looks like.

When the game starts, you basically get to decide how many squads you have. If you have a 10 man squad, it can break into two 5 man squads. You determine which guys are in which squad.

If they were originally the same squad, they get to share a transport, despite being two different squads.

If you have a heavy weapon, you sit five guys with the heavy weapon back in cover to start throwing shots downrange.

If you have a special weapon, you sit five guys with the special weapon (And the combi-sarge) in a rhino, and go upfield to get into your weapon's preferred range.

Gotcha, I am really excited to play my first game to see how it goes.

Sadly my plans are kind of derped atm, but I am moving things around to see what I can do.

I also wasted (at least for the moment) 30 bucks on that defense line....

I am throwing flakk missiles onto the devastators for AA, is that a good idea?

I love hearing about all the IG In the thread. Onwards to victory comrades for the God Emperor!!!

The quadgun should be enough for AA, flakk missiles are overpriced.

How can I use the quad-gun without the aegis defense line?

That was the entire reason I didn't have flakk.

> Flak missiles
Depends entirely on your local players. Some places like planes. Some don't. Either way, you're spending a lot of points that could be going into firing laser cannons or heavy bolters, the two most ideal options for Fists, in my opinion.

Also, may I recommend taking a small Combined Arms Detachment? You can drop out the Librarius Conclave, take a single Librarian with Bones, 2 small token scout squads, and a Fortification. That was actually the origin of the drop-pod tactic I now refer to as The Thin Blue Line.

Also, if you're looking for better fortifications, I'd like to draw your eye to the Imperial Bunker. 55 points for a stable position that's as hard to crack as a land raider, can have 4 guys shoot out of it, and has enough room on top for another Dev squad to take cover on battlements.

Oh right sternhammer. I don't think you have a good option then and are better to just ignore them.

I want to use the sternhammer because it just feels cool to use fluff.....

If it is total garbage then yes I will try a CAD.

Here is what I scrambled together with you guys' suggestions (which I am grateful for), what do you think?

I have 50 points left

>I want to use the sternhammer because it just feels cool to use fluff.....
>
>If it is total garbage then yes I will try a CAD.
Why not both?

> I have 50 points left
Sweet jesus, I remembered some of the shit you had was expensive, but I didn't remember it was THAT expensive.

Also, I just noticed it's 1800 points. Is that a common point level locally? 1850 is a standard for tournament play.

I asked the LGS owner what point list I should use, and he said 1850 was the normal number.

>some of the shit you had was expensive
I like shiny things? I've been told I am a weird jimmy/timmy combo

> 1800
> 50 points left
Yeah, 1850 is the way to go here, I think. So, another 100 points to spend. Anyone have some good suggestions here? I'm thinking slapping Storm Shields onto Librarians (I'm a sucker for Storm Shields in IF) and then letting you go nuts and take what you think looks cool.

Trying to figure out how I should paint my DE to achieve the color scheme in pic related. To me pic related looks black with THICC Incubi Darkness highlights and then precise highlights of the other colors on top. I've picked out areas where I see the actual color of Incubi Darkness. But according to youtube.com/watch?v=59NiCgSov8I, it's base coated Incubi Darkness. The thing is, that Incubi Darkness is NO WHERE near that dark, spray can or paint pot. Anyone care to offer some insight?

>>I want to use the sternhammer because it just feels cool to use fluff.....
>>
>>If it is total garbage then yes I will try a CAD.
>Why not both?
You'll have to explain to me how that works....

You can take as many detachments as you have points for. If you want to field a Combined Arms Detachment and also a Sternhammer, you can. You just have to meet the minimums for both while still having enough points. In this case, it would be 1 core and 1 auxiliary in the Sternhammer, and 1 HQ unit and 2 Troops units in the CAD.

From what I am surmising....

My army would have a primary detachment, my sternhammer formation, and a secondary detachment, a CAD.

Is that correct?

Okay, so I think that means it is how I figured.

What *I* would want to do is have my sternhammer as my primary, then a CAD with an HQ, 2 troops, and 1 fortification

Precisely.

I have no idea how scout squads will work, I assume just leave them vanilla and try to keep them alive.

Can an IC from one detachment group up with a unit from another?

I recommend scouts with camo cloaks, to further stay alive. Remember, for various purposes, that the Camo Cloak does not grant Stealth, but its own unique rule. Traditionally I'd suggest sniper rifles for poking Monstrous Creatures, but you're Fists - bolters will do.

An IC from a detachment can join another detachment, yes. They're essentially treated as from the same army, unless they're from different factions, at which point the Ally Matrix rears its ugly head and goes "LEARN MORE RULES". Let's not anger the Ally Matrix, yes?

I am using IF, because I was left a lot of IF 30k units.

And I am a defensive turtle-y bitch.

Atm trying to figure out what HQ to use for the CAD, trying to stay cheap.

Librarians are traditional, hence the suggestion of dropping the Conclave.

Alternately, a jump chaplain to go with the assault squad.

Jump chaplain probably.... I already dropped money on the conclave.

If you keep the Conclave, where are you finding points for the CAD?

I make hasty decisions.

....I'm having trouble

>Any games this weekend?

Just won an HoR Kill Team with my Scions + Sentinel (IG list) vs. Inquisition.
Sentinel w/heavy flamer did work.

Sunday Im playing Nurgle incursion vs. a WAAC Eldar list, 1850 points ITC rules.

I will probably stick with for the moment, I kind of like how it looks.

What benefit does having the other two librarians mastery level 2 if I am going to use them to channel on the big one?

What does your thin blue line army look like, is it IF?

And this is why the Librarian becomes the leader of a Combined Arms Detachment, you grab two scout squads, and you leave the Librarius behind for Bones of Osrak and a fortification.

Also, again, seriously. Look into the Bunker. It's SO good.

Having the other two librarians at ML2 gives you extra warp dice, and your big boy gets to know more powers because they also know more powers.

What's the best way to run a drop pod gladius if I want it to have some bite, but not full cancer? how many men in the tactical squads etc

We tried out that Deathwatch Overkill with everyone taking control of one of the marines.
It was fun but it turned into a clusterfuck real fast.

I might see if I can change my order to the bunker.

I am going to compare what I get here to having a CAD and go from there.

You think Bones of Osrak > Shield Eternal?

Not complaining, I've talked through a lot of the questions before, but is all the recent Imperial Fists stuff one guy? I know there's Cataphractii IF guy, but I'm not sure if the other posts are the same guy.

Who are you Son(s) of Dorn?

Not sure if it matters but I am not a dude, but yes I am that noob who was left a 30k IF force and have been trying to make a 40k army out of it

If i'm going into an 1850 pt game with no flyers or anti-air, how screwed am I? I was going to bring my CSM and play a fluffy Word Bearers list with marines rushing up in Rhinos, a cultist swarm protecting either a Warpsmith or Dark Apostle, and tons of Daemon Engines and Helbrutes to get AV saturation.

I'm bringing the helbrutes with powerfists, a Maulerfiend, and a Vindicator, would those take down a Knight feasibly if the Helbrutes used the Deepstrike formation or is close combat with a Knight doomed to failure because of Strength D at initiative?

I've been trying to do the same. To me it doesn't look like Incubi Darkness was used as the overall basecoat either, as it's got more of a dark green/teal color.

The Black Heart color scheme isn't in the "How to paint Dark Eldar" book either. You'd think it would be considering it's their main studio army...

So this CAD is getting close to done, but I don't have a unit the librarybro and lysander can rock with.

I can turn the assault squad into a ass cent squad, but I've heard they are not beuno

try incubi darkness with a black wash

>not a dude

No such thing.
Alternatively, you know what we as for as proof