Get off your fucking phones

>Running game night.
>"There's a Zapdos in here!!"
>walks to other side of room staring at phone.

Get off your phones, motherfuckers. We are not here playing Pokemon Go.

A fucking Zapdos? OP gimme your adress...Fuck man.

Is Zapdos a rare one? Because if it's one of those bats that come in millions, the guy is arse. If it's a rare one, you gotta understand, man.

I mean, we got a guy that freezes up for solid minute every time a remotely attractive woman walks by, this is no worse.

I don't know/care. But if you came over to play tabletop, then put your fucking phone away at the table and don't ask me "what happened" while you fucked off focusing on something else.

Eat shit faggot. You want players invested in your game, be better at running it and make it more involving.

You're competing with and losing to a phone, you fucking shitter. The fault is with you since you're a bad DM.

Everyone in my party plays Pokemon Go.
If there's a Zapdos in the room, we are putting the game on fucking pause.

Nigger I don't care how good the game is. There's a zapdos nearby I'm getting it, and you can suck a dick

You hunger for constant attention rivals some of my exes.

Man, fuck you. It's Zapdos, ass clown. Hell, I'd stop pissing mid-stream for a Zapdos.

This thread is how manners and common courtesy dies.

>shit DM's complain about their players instead of looking in the mirror when their game gets boring

cell-Phone obsession has made you a bunch of unaware, mouth-breathing fucktards. there isn't a right way to live, but I know constantly staring at a phone screen while you're with other people is fucking retarded.

Man, it's a fucking Zaphdos. A rare legendary goddamn pokemon. If you're starving for so much attention you need the dude to stay at the table every minute, just pause the game for an interval or two so your folks can go catch some pokemon for a bit, then set up a rule later like

'10 minutes an hour, we'll stop and you guys can go get some refreshments, play pokemon go, etc. but when it restarts, you gotta turn off your phones.'

Is it so fucking hard to institute a rule like that?

Or maybe, just maybe, you're a shit DM who's making your players attentions divert to their phones, playing Pokemon Go while your dming because they're bored as shit.

Losing attention to a game like that in a RP heavy TT is the fault of the DM, without a doubt, 9 times out of ten.

>constantly staring at a phone screen ... is fucking retarded.
Agreed. Fortunately we're some 5 years away from (consumer-affordable) display glasses screen and 10-15 from contact lens display. I wouldn't dare to predict if they completely replace mobiles and tablets, but they certainly will be a good alternative.

You can assume I'm a shit DM or whatever. Before Pokemon GO, I never had this problem.

It's like all of you are too fucking autistic or oblivious to just admit that people eye-fucking their cellphones all day is shit behavior, and you are just one of them.

Dude, everyone is a bunch of mouth breathing fucktards. I'm a fucktard, you're a fucktard, OPs a fucktard.

Nobody cares. This is the world we live in, so you can be the tard that embraces it, or the tard that opposes it.

It's okay, op. We know you just made this thread to bitch about all this new fangled cellphone business. Its clear no one would actually want to play with you

>OP insults player for being distracted by legendarily rare pokemon on a board full of nerds

I wonder if OP also makes his players were diapers. Not because it would be his fetish, but because he won't let them leave for a bathroom break.

Who am I kidding, it's OP's fetish too.

Zapados is one of the legendary birds, nigga, I didn't even know they'd released them yet.

Then institute a goddamn rule you mouth-breathing autist similar to bathroom breaks, 10 minutes every hour for them to go out doing whateverthefuck then turn off the phones when it's game time.

Unless you're a goddamn moron who wants them to sit through several hours straight sessions w/o bathroom breaks, drink breaks or snack breaks.

how fucking retarded would someone have to be to NOT already take breaks? we take like 1 an hour; to smoke, phone surf, talk, shit, piss, whatever.

Oh man. How do legendaries work here? Will they "respawn" at the same location? Or do they appear once at a random place and then somwehere else?

>defending pokemon go

I understand Veeky Forums is playing contarian because its part of the contract you sign when posting here, but its not even a game, its a hollow snd transparent geocaching scheme, with some elements of crowd behavioral analysis and microtransactions to offset cost, with the trappings of nostalgia as a vehicle for downloads.

Defending it even ironically is basically signaling that you have given up on meeting the very low bar that has been set to be considered a thinking human being.

I strongly urge you to reconsider, or at the very least consider suicide.

this autist is sounding like someone who doesn't have a rule like this at all and is complaining people are using the breaks to play pokemon go

By what I've heard they follow the same random timed spawn distribution as other Pokémon, but they despawn immediately once someone catches one at that location.
So, unlike regular mons, only one person can catch one from that location.

are you even reading the thread, faggot? OP is complaining that people are whipping out phones to play Pokemon GO during GAMEPLAY.

>'10 minutes an hour, we'll stop and you guys can go get some refreshments, play pokemon go, etc. but when it restarts, you gotta turn off your phones.'
>Is it so fucking hard to institute a rule like that?
This.
I wouldn’t know a Zappa-dose from a Monka-chew, but if the players wanna pause 5-10 minutes to grab a pokemon, a cigarette, or a cup of coffee? Have at, perfectly reasonable. I dig me my coffee breaks.

But if you’re not paying attention to the game because you’re focused on your phone, I will have you put them away, confiscate them like you’re twelve, or ask you to leave. Game time is game time and paying attention is simply being respectful of others’ time.

>you will never run a game interesting and engaging enough that the players become fully immersed and forget they even have phones

I want to die.

My party is usually pretty focused until the last few hours. But if the gm is talking to one person out of the group, then the others usually just talk to each other or go on their phones.

I would say it is disrespectful, but it's nothing compared to the worst that could happen. People need to get up and stretch their legs after a long session.

Chill out bro, is it worth starting an argument with something this petty?

Well, the game is kind of pointless yeah (and what game isn't?). But you gotta appreciate it as a proof-of-concept, technologically it's integrating things that were not used on any other project before (not in combination, that is) and it can be used as a platform for further development.

Also it got some people to actually walk outdoors that normally wouldn't do it all year long.

>tfw poorfag
>tfw shitty tracfone
>tfw haven't been brainwashed by the iJew

No OP, YOU are not playing Pokemon Go. Get with the fucking picture and download it. Team Mystic for life.

Veeky Forums is surprisingly normie and mainstream as fuck in tastes. Now that doesn't really mean anything, not good, not bad, but its just how it is.

>invite friends to dinner; tell them the dish
>buy ingredients
>prep
>cook meal
>have people over to eat together
>person whips out a bag of McDonalds at the table

it's the same shit and you would be put off as fuck if that happened.

Further development of what tools? The technology Pokemon Go uses has been field tested by other types of apps for years. There isn't a single shred of innovation inside of the app, instead it cynically uses those to mine information off of your use of the app, fleece you with gambling tactics, with no other gameplay elements besides tapping and swiping up.

Congratulations, you got out of your chair for Pokemon. You might as well have done it for Hello Kitty or Bratz or Skylanders, all equally hollow branding successes thanks to mindless bandwagoning.

Do you REALLY feel like anyone deserves a pat on the back for this?

Don't even try.

>GM has a scene focused NPCs jacking off
>whip out phone and play an actually good game
If you aren't gonna entertain me then why should I pay attention to your puerile schlock

>has been field tested by other types of apps for years
Name three.

>Do you REALLY feel like anyone deserves a pat on the back for this?
The developers certainly do.

>Name three

All navigation apps services, chief among them Google Maps.

Field Trip.

Now.

I can go on because it isn't difficult.

>The developers certainly do.
A made to order app that innovates nothing and sells likes hotcakes due to competent branding they didn't even contribute to.

Congratulations, you're a fucking retard and I'm giving you an C+ for shitposting, because any simian could do better. At least you got a passing grade.

The key you're missing here is that it's pokemon and it ties catching Pokemon in with your GPS, making certain places as PokeStops or Gyms or whatever.

Through this ingeniously cynical tactic, it's far better done than your examples because they don't have the wide appeal of Pokemon Go simply due to the brand itself. If this had been Hello Kitty, Bratz or Skylanders, it would've died in a couple of weeks.

Sure, you would have the same collection mechanic, the same GPS mechanic, but what makes Pokemon stay is the gyms, the teamplay, the Pokemon catching, the childhood glee of being able to see Pokemon everywhere you go and catch them on the fly as you're walking to school or work or whateverthefuck.

The tech's been here to do this, yes, but the success is almost entirely due to the admittedly very shallow, very meh gameplay.

And there are people in this very thread defending this sort of braindead drooling over their Android platform instead of engaging in the hobby this board was created for.

Defend this.

Institute a goddamn rule you simian, or tell them to shut off their phones during gameplay. It's not that hard. It really isn't. Unless you're shit at social interactions and can't manage to pitch your voice higher than a whisper.

In which case, you just tell them over the phone 'pls don't bring ur phone over.'

>Google Maps.
>Field Trip.
>Now.
Sure, they work with maps in real time, so does average car navigation. But they are predominantly passive listeners, you can't interact with the data or only in very slow inflexible way (my street isn't even on Google maps because it was made less than 1 year ago and they don't bother updating that frequently). I don't think any of them integrates with pictures you take in real time either. And if I'm not mistaken Field Trip and Now are virtually irrelevant outside of first world because nobody even adds the points of interest there. (before you say areas outside of first world don't matter anyway - the point is pokemon works there)

As for innovating nothing - sometimes the progress is made simply by the right combination of existing ideas.

>instead of
Taking 10 minutes off the main activity is not "instead of it". By that logic you would be taking shit in the office "instead of" doing your work there. (assuming you have a job at all)

tldr everyone's having fun except op and they refuse to get with the Pogrom

mixed reality geolocational shit is the future. the internet will have a large chunk of AR just like in NuShadowrun, and there's nothing you can do to stop it

unmutual badwrong ungood doesn't like the future delibered them by authoritarian high modernism, capital, etc

this is now thatguychat sosayeth some lowly not even a sympathizer

They aren't out yet. They're in the game code but so far they're not catchable.

Maybe you should run a more compelling game then OP. At least one that isn't less interesting than Pokemon fucking Go.

>blame OPs game you've never seen
>not people and their shitty phone addictions

Whole lotta retarded in this thread.

Omar?

No, I would let them have my food and their Maccas, because I don't get offended whenever people have certain dietary needs. Someone is vegan, someone's a vegetarian; it really doesn't matter. I'm not so stuck-up that I won't work around the issue. It just means that I have to put in a little extra work and that's important to me because my friends are important to me. The fact that you expect people to come and dance for you like monkeys is obviously some sign of mental instability possibly an attention craving need or outright narcissism. Get help.

Zapdos isn't in the game yet you philistine.

>there's a zapdos
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING NIGGER GO CATCH IT!

>Zapdos on Pokemon Go

Either OP is full of shit, or his game was such ass, that his players stooped to such a desperate lie to get away from the game.

Lookin' bad for you either way OP.

>two games
>two mediums
>one is more engaging and successful despite server issues and glaring game design flaws
>the other is likely using a crappy system with a weak plot poorly designed characters and settings and cringe inducing dialogue.

If OP actually knew what he was doing as a GM he wouldn't have this issue. Blaming 'phone addiction' is just a way for him to not address what he is doing wrong.

>>You hunger for constant attention rivals some of my exes.
>>The fact that you expect people to come and dance for you like monkeys is obviously some sign of mental instability possibly an attention craving need or outright narcissism. Get help.

>Trying this hard to make paying attention to the game an extremely unreasonable demand
I’m not either of those anons but, while the “ur game sux” responses are lame, these are just hilariously bad.

Here's why OP is a faggot.
>Zapdos hasn't been seen in the game yet. By anyone
>You don't have to get up to catch the pokemon if they appear.
>Using such a weak story to start a convo about something that's already been discussed and agreed upon numerous times on Veeky Forums.
>Using nerdy bait to start a thread about shitting on nerds.

I've had a similiar situation as OP's. Everyone was fully invested, except one fucker that was a tag along. Tried to get him invovled, but couldn't detach his hands from his phone long enough to pay attention. The other players were good though. There are just some people that aren't interested in tabletop...why he kept showing up was probably the company, and free food.

Good goddamn you people are fucking dense. I just named a random ass Pokemon. I don't know what piece of shit he was catching. Why is this combined faggotry so, so thick?

Hell yeah my poor brother!

And you did the adult thing and talked to him about it right?

And when/if that didn't work you simply told him he was no longer welcome, right?

You didn't just bitch about it on Veeky Forums, right?

>food analogy
Fuck off faggot.

Cell phones are killing smoking, an actually, physically addictive thing that people do even though it harms them. Well, actually phones are harmful. But that can be fixed with a little wire mesh or lead or tin foil. Anyway, pocket computers are pocket computers, and if you can't compete you can't compute.

What you need to do, is run a game people are interested in, or realize that people want to socialize and not particularly game. If people just want to hang out, then congrats fatguy, you have actual friends, you ma-

they just congregate in your house, you're just their captain nemo you sorry piece of shit

10/10 Post-tumblr styled comic

More like the problem sorted it's self out. He kept to himself for the most part, and later was replaced with other friends that were invited. Wouldn't really call him a onlooker at that point..as the only thing he looked at was his phone.

dear god mike and jerry are learning

they're learning to make their characters emote without resorting to red eyes or SHOUTY CAPS

i can see facial expressions what the shit

Maybe the OP should run a game people like.

Like GURPS :o

Because it's Friday night, and we have nothing better to do. You brought this on yourself, normie.

nigger you can't even GET zapdos in game, stop bullshittin

>moving the goal posts
>claiming other apps are first world only while pokemon go somehow isnt
>picking and choosing the least interesting or impressive innovations like overlays (which snapchat was doing before and other apps were doing before that) like they mattered

And on top of all that, animeposting.

What is your point? What are you arguing?

Your post essentially amounts to

>lay off Pokemon Go, it has a couple of basic features i find interesting and never knew about until i jumped on the bandwagon!

I'd tell you to improve your post quality if I thought you could. Instead I'm telling you to stop posting at all.

I feel so old right now, what the fucks Pokemon GO? And if it gets people outside and walking instead of being on there computer all day like me what's the problem?

I don't know, why don't you download the app and go outside to try it for yourself right now? You'd be doing yourself a favor by having a little fun and educating yourself about the topic, and you'd be doing us a favor by leaving.

>Obviously doesn't know proper pokemon lore
>Doesn't appreciate players taking small amounts of time to do other things
>Stick-up-ass mindset towards anything that deprives the DM of attention

Did I say something to piss you of? Was just asking a question.

Can't download since I have an old ass phone.

nothing, until you start playing it at the game table.

>DM attention
>everyone is waiting for them to stop fucking off so the game can continue

You could've just read the thread and found out what the problem was instead of jumping in and asking what amounts to a really dumb rhetorical question. The problem is a) it's trash and b) it's fucking up tabletop gaming. You know, like the hobby this board you're posting on was made for?

>Its an "OP hates something popular because contrarianism gets him the (You)'s that he craves thread

Point taken.

Why would anyone play that piece of shit? It's like if Black Friday was on your phone, had no sales, and internet problems.

> Starting up game
> One player is doing the "last time, on D&D" recap
> Skype player is consistently distracted, due to his inability to focus on one glowing rectangle instead of the other glowing rectangles on his screen
> Interrupts the recapping player
> "Hang on, I'm going to put up some incense so I can play Pokemon Go while we do D&D"
> Everyone yells some variation of "NO WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING" at the same time

Why would you even bother to show up for D&D if you aren't going to fucking play D&D? Why is the siren song of the mobile phone so captivating to the weak-willed?

>not taking it as a sign your group wants to run PTA/PTU

I mean, come on. They're dropping all those hints right there.

Its an Augmented Reality geo-caching game for smartphones centered around catching virtual pokemon in real life locations.

Mayby he's actually scared that after finding a megabishbakanono you'll getting trampled to death after 5billion pepole rush to get the pointless game thing?

Jesus Christ this thread is hillaryos

If you spent more time staring at a phone screen you might learn capitalization.

Really great contribution to the discussion friendo. You did it.

If you're really that pissed off about people playing Pokemon GO around you, just do what I did and buy a cellphone signal jammer. I guarantee they won't be able to play with that baby active.

I mean, yeah, they're illegal, but so is everything fun, and would the cops really go after someone for stopping a bunch of people from playing games?

Are you having a stroke?

Then look me in the eyes and tell me why you're bored faggot.

I'm the one busting my ass with prep work trying to make things fun for everyone. If only you aren't entertained and think busting your phone out mid game to do other shit is fine, that's cool.

If you're not having fun then leave dickhead. Don't sit there and mope like an entitled toddler.

They'd likely investigate it. Most uses for cellphone jammers tend not to be so innocent.

Use one with a radius of effect of 10 metres. Have the game in a room in the centre of a large house. Don't have it on the rest of the time.

They picked that style because it upsets people like you.

>RPG obsession has made you a bunch of unaware, mouth-breathing fucktards. there isn't a right way to live, but I know constantly staring at dice or a character sheet while you're with other people is fucking retarded.

In other words, it's like almost any other sort of hobby.
And by the way, people were literally saying this same shit about reading newspapers on the train.

factual reference needed

There is this one dude I game with who has his phone out at the start of the session, and will pick it back up after 10 minutes no matter what.

Some people are fucking addicts man.

I think I have seen him do this during movies in a theater.

The bastard might actually need to go to a 12 step program to get off reddit.

I think the game is retarded, but if my player asked me if we could pause (or he go away for a minute, while I attend to another player) because he wants to catch a rare pokemon, I wouldn't have problem with it. Just have enough courtesy to ask, that's all it takes, I am here to play a session that I prepared, respect my time and I will respect yours.

>be dm
>player instantly pulls out his phone
>constantly distracts players
>never even tries to roleplay
>give descriptions for every single attack because players just want to hit the thing in the same way every time
>"guys i'm bored wanna play pokemon go?"
Really dude what the fuck was i doing wrong, the most interesting thing he's attempted so far was jumping from one platform to another.