I remembered back a few months or so ago some geeks discussing about how some elements from Bungie's Destiny would work...

I remembered back a few months or so ago some geeks discussing about how some elements from Bungie's Destiny would work out and play in Warhammer; specifically the Cabal versus Space Marines because 'muh space marine expies.'

Just earlier it came back to mind and it got me to thinking, what about the Guardians? Titan, Warlock, and Hunter, would the Traveler's benevolent god powers make things and life better for the grimdark future? Would the Darkness just make things even worse making the Chaos Gods look like school kids?

And would the Traveler in general be considered "foul-xeno-heresy" that must be eliminated even though it's giving obvious messages that it wants to help, because in the grimdark future everyone is that narrow minded. Or would the Traveler be considered a good thing to even the Imperium and tolerate worship of her, and everyone; humanity and xenos, will start making peace thanks to the goody-two-shoes actions of the Traveler.

So geeks and nerds who're familiar with Warhammer 40K and Destiny; discussion time.

>Console peasants

>Would the Darkness just make things even worse making the Chaos Gods look like school kids?

The Chaos Gods feed off of humanity's emotions, and grant strange powers to whole legions and to a great many sorcerers. They convinced Space Marines to turn on the Emperor, an impressive thing in and of itself, all because the Emperor decided that not telling people about them would help them diminish the gods through logical and scientific thinking instead. The plan failed, the Gods with their traitor legions have struck the Emperor into a horrid half-dead state, and a Dark Age of humanity has arose in which the superstitions, fearfulness, and even hope of humanity fuels their own destruction at the hands of beings who are, for all intents and purposes, the true gods of humanity.

The Darkness did something that was stopped by another thing doing something.

Not even a close competition

>memes

>I remembered back a few months or so ago some geeks discussing about how some elements from Bungie's Destiny would work out and play in Warhammer; specifically the Cabal versus Space Marines because 'muh space marine expies.'
Will Veeky Forums ever stop having shit threads?

>random topic
>Will Veeky Forums ever stop having shit threads meme
Will Veeky Forums ever stop having shit posts about having shit threads?

Probably when Veeky Forums stops having shit threads.

Guardians would be heretical since they have access to void powers which is basically the warp.

>Redditors

>It's time for my new flavour of the month sci fi to cross over with Warhammer 40k!

Good thread m8

>destiny
>flavour of the month

Are you literally retarded

>Destiny
>Not already forgotten about

Sorry that you're slow on the uptake.

Don't get into this shit. Warhammer is an inconsistent and over the top mess which basically has to constantly one up itself for power levels to add to the grimdark. Kaldor Draigo could solo an entire setting. The Chaos Gods are invincible. The Necrons can turn off Suns with the flip of a switch and time travel.

Destiny is pretty high power level, but it's tempered by being very vague and metaphorical and constrained by the rules of the game it's built around. Oryx has personally destroyed a thousand world's and is invincible, but you shoot him to death with bullets. The Vex have limitless time travel capabilities, but haven't won because of a variety of reasons unique to the setting. The Darkness and the Traveller have near limitless magical power, only constrained by their struggle with each other and their different philosophical opinions on how to empower their minions, but the most you ever see their servants do is shoot explodey lights.

Don't start these dumbass threads, least of all with these two settings because they're both all over the fucking place with decently autistic fanbases.

The Darkness might well be more of a Malal expy, being mysterious and unstated (whereas the Chaos Gods are explicit) while strongly hinting that it's basically a manifestation of the universal downward trend towards nothingness and the dissolution of all matter in heat death.

Even the servants of the Darkness embody an Ouroboros-like state, eventually they will consume themselves or simply be consumed by their very nature once they themselves are the only things left in the universe.

The Necrons have Way to kill the Chaos Gods.

If it's forgotten about, it means it's not really flavour of the month. It might have been like a year ago or whenever it came out.

Space Marines eat brains to absorb memories.

No they don't.

>geeks
The correct term is spergkin.

>Destiny is pretty high power level, but it's tempered by being very vague and metaphorical and constrained by the rules of the game it's built around.
Well, yes and no.
The Guardians are largely able to do the things they are-- including go up against the Hive and Vex at all and return from death countless times as long as their Ghost is alive-- because of the Traveler's Light that flows through them, but the Light also makes them more of a target (especially for the Hive). They try in a half-hearted way to science it away (more so early on than now), but there's heaps of literal magic in this universe, even in the races that don't (seemingly/currently) affiliate with the Traveler or the Darkness, and as stated that magic can bring people back from the dead. It can render also beings effectively immortal even if they stay dead by means of their soul inhabiting arcane realms beyond our native reality.
I don't know much about 40K, but anything that can't die is going to be a really tough opponent.

Daemons never die in 40k

There's a demon who gets killed after slaughtering a dudes squad, pretty sure it's Bjorn's, who pops up again a few millennia later when Bjorn's a dreadnaught and taunts
>Hey! I remember you. I killed all your friends and you can't even remember their names, but I do.

Oryx himself is unable to truly die outside his throne room (a dimension outside of time, space, and death as we know it), and you don't fight him in it, you fight him in the dreadnought and whatever space he tears open to fight you in.

In a sense, you can defeat Oryx, but you can never truly kill him. In-lore it's stated that his sisters keep killing him and he keeps killing them so that they learn how not to die. One particular example is Oryx's sister trapping him in a planetoid and blowing it up, which came in handy while exterminating another species.

Destiny handles Guardian death similarly, where they can truly die is the Light is stripped from them or their Ghost is destroyed and another one does get to them before they're completely obliterated. They even play with death, as Dead Orbit themselves employ Thanatonauts, who are killed and then revived in order to scout out death and gather information from it, which sometimes yields secrets, current real-world information, forgotten knowledge, and even sometimes knowledge of future events.

>Traveler
>benevolent
Guffaw

It seems pretty much unambiguously benevolent, and to a degree it is; it can enlighten species and give them tools and sciences to allow them to live in a carefree, happy utopia. One race's sun was collapsing into a black hole, and the Traveller built a great spire over the black hole to continue to light their worlds. The Traveller wants life to thrive and fosters them towards that end.

But it also knows fear. When it looked like mankind was going to fall a second time, it was prepared to take off and leave them behind to buy itself time, but Raspin broke the Traveller open with antimatter weapons to root it in place, forcing the Traveller to make a stand over Earth. Its last action was to create the Ghosts to revive the Guardians, and it's been unresponsive ever since.

But then there's the question, does the Traveller still desire to escape and sacrifice humanity? The Light of the Traveller seems to have attracted the Darkness in the first place. Could it be that species who are touched by the Traveller's Light are more vulnerable or enticing to the Darkness, or that the Traveller's existence and mission of enlightenment somehow creates the Darkness out of contrast?

You do realize the Traveler also brought about the downfall of every race it "uplifted" (including just straight abandoning the Fallen) and was unambiguously evil in the first draft of the game, right?

Also the Traveler has never done anything that wasn't in benefit of the Traveler first and foremost

>The Traveler
>benevolent

>You do realize the Traveler [...] was unambiguously evil in the first draft of the game, right?
gonna need some proof, and not from Kotaku
I don't think they'd do the "artificial life form that's secretly evil/has a hidden agenda" thing yet again

Wel, the original draft was a fantasy game where you were FIGHTING the Traveler

You realise destiny is already full of 40k references I'd to as far to say as its as much macros anime as it is 40k you ride around on dark eldar jetbikes fighting tau drones and fighting things that are a mix of chaos and nids

Destiny. Is basically game of thrones and 40k fiction streached over the halo reach engine (which it uses) and full of itemisation that better suits a phone game than a modern cutting edge mmo Whig it pretends to be.destiny2 better impress

>40k is unoriginal therefore everything references it
40kiddies are pathetic

>you ride around on dark eldar jetbikes fighting tau drones and fighting things that are a mix of chaos and nids

Honestly the most 40K reference I can think of and see in Destiny are the Cabal, who're basically the Space Marines, but as big space rhino alien people.

They have way more in common with Turians than Spess Mirages

>tfw you will never ever see a Ghost find Sanguinius' corpse & bring prettiest primarch back

I personally think that destiny does go pretty well with 40k. Destiny Is almost Grim dark with the whole "you can't stop fighting and you are never gonna win against this" sort of vibe it puts off, seriously you kill one of the biggest baddest guys in the universe and his son to find out that a bunch of big worms gave him power and what is stopping those worms from doing it again? Not to mention he still has his army there and whis to say that thats all of it let alone the bulk? A massive imperium of very angry rhino people just got passed off and are sending in a large military force, most likely to attempt simply blowing up every body in the system. Space pirates that cling to a forgotten god and follow machine gods with no sense of regret or wrong. Time traveling robots that cannot cease to exist and fight in all fronts of time and our only ally fighting them is in a losing war with them that also happens to not align with our traveller. A sophisticated A.I that at any point could launch all the remaining nuclear weapons at the last city of mankind despite guardians saving it several times. That just to say the least, we don't have a whole lot of information about the politics of the city yet. For all we know the factions could be staging a massive war that could fracture the city as is. There is also the possibility that the traveller is trying to work against us but rasputin (the A.I) is still preventing it from abandoning us.

Goddammit my Grammar and spelling are awful

Who knows? Maybe another Destiny expansion would be the Horus Heresy-version of the Cabal in Destiny.

>Destiny Guardians fight alongside the Cabal-version of the traitor legions and Horus

That's kinda interesting but I severely doubt it considering the only vibe about the cabals personality that we've gotten is that they're always really angry and like blowing shit up and live in a highly militarized life style. I assume rebellions are far and in between and are usually put down very fast.

>Things that can't die

Off the top of my head I can name Necrons and Daemons, and then there's the Daemon Princes (Princess for Fulgrim)

God, I hope not. 40K is garbage

Then what are you even doing here?

>obvious troll is is dumb
>mfw

"The Mon-Keigh/Race Traitor/Tau Guardian(s) is scared, do not worry. These ones are mine."

-Maybe Lelith or Vect addressing to the Guardians about the House of Wolves Fallen

Because I like Destiny
>is is dumb
Kek

>draft

Yes. The original draft of the story/setting. Are you retarded?

>draft
>just as it is in finished concept
>draft
>as the end-all-be-all truth of the setting
>draft

Are you retarded?

>implying that no matter how many drafts a work goes through, the core concepts don't typically remain at least similar
So you ARE retarded.

>core concepts never change

I wonder if we'll see any Fallen who somehow are still Guardians. If there are some, I don't remember any.

That's pretty sinister. But then again, Bjorn probably opened him up like a can of beans right after that, so let's not be too impressed.

There are way to perma-kill Daemon Princes, I don't know if they work on regular Daemons.

I'm pretty sure there is ways to kill daemons, several in fact. However I don't remember any of them lol. I'm sure the emperor could do it easily via what he did to horus

Would The Traveler really be considered Heretical? I mean it/she is basically a giant-round-mechanical-space-Jesus that simply wants intelligent and living beings to be prosperous and have a good time. But sadly I fear in the grimdark future, the Imperium would just chuck missiles at her. (its implied the Traveler is a 'she' while the Darkness is a mean dude-guy.)

Or maybe best case scenario, worship for the Traveler will be tolerated and anyone can get to enjoy the space magic goodness she gives. And the Traveler would be considered good-buds with Emps.

Gonna dump this then:

>Fallen: Weird bizzaro Eldar
>Hive: Chaos Tyranids
>The Vex: Somewhat just like necrons but vastly different at the same time
>The Cabal: The Imperium of Man and Spess Muhreens as militaristic Ancient Roman Empire themed alien rhino people

Also

>Humans of 40K would make decent Titan Guardians
>Eldar, even the dank ones, make great Warlock Guardians
>And Tau as Hunter Guardians 'cause my ranged combat and agile mofo's

it would be completely
taken over ny techpriests

Now I just wish Destiny had more/better story. I love that stupid goddamn setting.
For some reason it captured my imagination in a way 40K hasn't for a long time by pure virtue of its grimness.

Did you ever watch the presentation they did at GDC? They talked about how they developed the setting and tried to make a heroic tone to the game. it was cool stuff.

It was way better.

So many cut locations, so little in the base game. I'm happy the games gotten better, the story gets more interesting and immersive with each DLC, which luckily aren't complete shills, they're meaty enough to actually be substantial.

The Fallen have more in common with the Imperium than Cabal

>Weird bizzaro Eldar
That's stretching it.

you mean from when the traveler visited them? He really only made ghosts when he was dying so I'm not sure there have ever been Fallen guardians

I want to see Fallen guardians with race-as-class.