Be interested in table top rpgs because of friends and RPG video games

>Be interested in table top rpgs because of friends and RPG video games.
>Avoid it cause constant telling of horror stories online of the people who play it and then reading these stories first hand cause of morbid interest.
>Hear that the community has really toned down recently with the influx of new nerds because of lords of the rings, super hero movies, and women actually getting a foot hold and getting rid of the most horrible people.
>decide to get my feet wet and find a pick up game
>Big mistake, first session find a 400 pound guy who wears anime shirts and is the Game Master, A gaunt fuck who keeps interjecting some Home Struck thing and trying to have sex with anything in game, and another guy I'm pretty sure is a pedophile but later learn is a 35 year old virgin.

You know I was beginning to think that the stories online were gross exaggerations for comedic or pity points but god damn table top people. Get your shit together.

Just find some where else to go

>playing with randos at an LGS

That was your first mistake. You play RPGs with friends.

>hobby built around escapism appeals to people with poor social/life skills
Color me suprised

I'd actually say that influx of new "nerds" wasn't exactly good for the hobby since now apparently playing pokemon go or league of legends makes you a nerd

anyway, it's a hobby that involves social interactions and as such, it works just as any other: you don't want to do it with wrong people and therefore have to find right ones

>he went to a game store

>pokemon go
> a game in direct competition with farmville and candy crush for the most casual game in existance
>people who play it are considered nerds
Where the hell are you from that they cant even enjoy Pokemon Go without getting branded as nerds? My 51 year old mother plays that shit.

>fat neckbeard who likes anime
>35 year old virgin
>homestuck fan
Besides the homestuck fan, there is nothing inherently wrong with either of these people.

You said the 35yo virgin keeps trying to ERP, but you haven't stated what's wrong with the neckbeard. I'm going to guess that there isn't anything wrong with him at all. You're just upset that he's fat and likes anime.

I might not have voiced that too clearly, but I was referring to "look at me I'm so nerdy" kind of people

OP is a pussy slayer, works out 9 days a week, and hates any animation illustrated by an asian. Get with the program, bruh.

>>hobby built around escapism
so like movies, books or tv shows? kinda all hobbies are based around escaping worklife and/or family

>Liking anime is bad
If I had to pick a pedophile out in a group you have pretty good odds with people who fawn over 9 year old and 9 year old looking characters.

I actually have no idea what you're trying to say here. I've read your post a few times and I just cannot comprehend what you were trying to express when you wrote it.

Stop making things up to pretend you have internet friends.

I forgot a not in that green text.

Anime fans are pretty much pedophiles there's a reason to hate them.

user, its so obvious that not all anime features lolis that your trolling is sort of falling flat.

It's okay though, I believe in you, that you can do better.

No but a lot contain sexualized14 to 16 year olds. Sometimes they just look 9. Now give me 5 anime made this year that a cast above 17 and actually looked it.

/thread

Good groups stay together for years and hence there are rarely openings. Problematic players bounce from group to group.

I started my ground in 2006 when I moved to a new city. Took awhile to get rid of the socially inept, rude asses, chronic late/no shows, moochers. Have a solid group now that meets every week in my basement. 5 players and me the forever DM.

I have a pretty solid vetting process for new players.

1. Meet with just me for lunch or coffee to talk about their RPG experience, likes/dislikes, our house rules (House ruled D&D B/X is what I run), campaign setting, character creation. More importantly I find out about them do they have other friends, significant other, are they in school or working? How long they stayed with groups? Can they commit to showing up on time to a weekly game. Can they chip in $5 a game session for a home cooked dinner (and snacks, drinks) every Monday night?

2. I take a dim view of tobacco smokers that need constant breaks, heavy drinkers or drug users. If you are coming to game stoned/drunk I don't want ya. All comes down to game disruption factor.

3. Players are on a probationary period for 8 sessions (2 months) and can be voted out of the group at any time for any reason by any full group member. No questions asked.

Who says you have to like anime made this year?

Cause every year the "good anime" shrink down and cause you fucks to not be believed that you aren't pedophiles. It's like trying to to be a republican but keep claiming you aren't racist.

you sound like a faggot

>republicans
>racists

Damn user, I was with you until you dropped this gem. History better.

Oh, ok, I get you, we're not allowed to like things that don't come out this year.

Basically the key to having good games is to first start out with a group of good people, and try to get them into RPGs. That's far easier than starting with a group of guys who are into RPGs and trying to turn them into good people after the fact.

>It's like trying to to be a republican but keep claiming you aren't racist.

The strawmen are coming to life.

Meme magic has gotten out of control.

Precisely why I have to screen players. Because of scum like you.

>everybody who disagrees with me is a nazi
this meme bores me

Your mom is a nerd.

>More importantly I find out about them do they have other friends, significant other, are they in school or working?
You're a cunt. These things have nothing to do with playing a fucking tabletop RPG.

You need to either see if your buddies would be interested in playing, or screen players carefully via an application and interview. You are entirely right that by and large the hobby is inhabited by terrible people, hence the need to be selective.

Horrible GM story thread?

>Get called by high school friend
>"user, I'm hosting this game soon and I want you in it!"
>"yeah sure man, just tell me about your setting"
>proceeds to tell me a setting where he contradicts himself more than CGL does for Shadowrun about a future where some demons, but its actually a parasite, but its actually totally not zombies, but more like Cartman's Trapper Keeper only organic have taken over the world and everybody lives in biodome cities around the world linked by trains
>this demon or parasite,, or maybe even a virus fuck my brain is full of fuck now, the GM changes his mind every time I ask is also an airborne and water born pathogen, hence the biodomes even though he assures me the biodomes can't actually stop the infection
>my brain is full of fuck
>he also tells me to make up a college kid and the game is about being gangsters inside this biodome
>he loves to have the party be college students
>when I ask more details about the world like what society is like in a setting where they have been kept in a dome for a hundred years, yeah unstoppable demons or parasites or viral deathspawn fuck you have been roaming free for a hundred years and haven't exterminated all life yet, he just gives me vague answers to questions any GM making a homebrew world would think of like what kind of government bouncing back and forth between a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary monarchy and then saying absolute monarchy.
>the other two players made rich girls in an all girls college, so I decide to make a rich girl as well to go with the theme
>make a girl who is going into this crime thing to become self sufficient since she got cut off for refusing to marry.
>the entire three sessions this campaign lasts involves the GM smashing us with a proverbial hammer whenever we try anything we try from as small as making a small cam girl studio to trying to get a crate of marijuana to turn around in the city.

>Guy who calls for walls to be built to keep the filthy browns out.
>Guy who wants to ban people with a certain religion from entering country.
>This resonates with enough republicans to get him the candidacy.
>Polls of religious organizations show that only white people are interested in voting for him.
It's really hard to be a republican but keep claiming you aren't racist.

You don't really have to interact with diehard fans of Doctor Who whenever you watch an episode, until a TTRPG.

More the part "Kicked for any reason whatsoever by any group member with no questions asked". Hell, that could be because someone took a 5ft step away from the monster and it critical-killed the guy standing next to him and he decided the correct retribution was to kick the 5-foot step guy from the group.

>All terror attacks within the last year have been caused exclusively by Muslims and Muslim refugees
>It's racist to prevent more refugees from crossing thousands of miles of ocean to get to America when they could be going literally anywhere in Europe instead.

>implying all Republicans vote for Trump

Man, it sure must suck making blind generalizations of people based off of internet memes. Glad I never do it!

>Literally anywhere in Europe instead
You are fucking funny

No just enough.

Go back to /leftypol/.

I know this is true, most Republicans I know have been voting democrats their whole lives, mostly cause republicans are horrible corrupt classiest or racist people. Strange that they call themselves Republican but have never voted for one in an election.

You mean tumblr.

>#NotAllRepublicans
Yes yes, please respond to my "meme" with an even better one, cause in current year we must prefix everything with not all.

He probably screened his current players for being petty cunts, so that shouldn't happen.

Tho I agree "no questions asked" sucks ass, it should be a group decision not a veto.

Savage

Better than voting for a lying scumbitch who doesn't have to obey the law like everyone else.

yeah, well, enjoy the US getting further polarized. personally, I hope hillary becomes prez on the basis of a coaltion of women and people of color. and I hope this happens the next 3 or 4 elections with democratic candidates too. hispanic anyone? no better way to redpill people.

anyway, people of different skin color arent just buddies. they are *also* rivals. more on /pol/.

let me just add that I reject your definition of racism.

Every group goes through a stage of "if we don't let anyone else in, we can stay this way forever." This is just theirs.

I bet that you like literally can now mean figuratively in the dictionaries now. Must love redefining very basic words to suite your needs at the moment?

But nationalities and religions aren't equivalent to races

>It's not racist there's a small majority of people there that aren't white or Muslim therefor banning people from there isn't racist!
In other news from bizzaro world it isn't racist to stop and search black people cause excessive tanning can make white people look black.

I find your definiton ridiculous. Radical Islam has been followed by people of all ethnicities, from the pale-skinned Tsarnev brothers to the Black Boko Haram fighters. If Republicans hate all brown people as you claim, then why does he want to keep the lenient policy for Cuban refugees in place? At least refer to him as a nationalist, as that is very much what he is.

It's pretty hilarious how after their defeat in 2012, the GOP went on a big old retrospective to figure out what went wrong. They realised that their core base of primarily older, white, and male voters is simply no longer large enough to carry a national election on their own, and concluded that in the future they'd have to reach out to other demographics, particularly the often fairly conservative hispanics.

Fast forward 4 years, and just look at this fucking mess.

>literally
>informal
>used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
Fuuuck. Fuck these people.
Literally fuck them with a cheese greater.
Literally.

Grater.

Goddamn autocorrect

>a fictional account of nonsense by a pathetic, no-friends, NARPfag

You people really need to go back to /b/ or /v/ or wherever you came from.

but user has no friends

there are different levels of escapism
movies books and tvshows are like babies first escapism
and rpgs are wizard tier

>make America cheese grater again

Phoenix Wright
Joker Game
Ajin
Initial D movie
Kekkai Sensen

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Joker Game
Arslan Senki
91 Days
New Game

>It's like trying to to be a republican but keep claiming you aren't racist.

False flag or weak opportunistic b8, one or the other.

>can't into linguistic descriptivism
>can't interpret figurative use from context and/or non-verbal cues

You have some kind of abnormal mind. Autism, or a learning disability.

>I bet that you like literally can now mean figuratively in the dictionaries now
So you agree that minorities are often much more racist than whites, then?

Try actually thinking for a second and you'll realize that the purpose of the vetting isn't to see whether someone's good at playing RPGs, it's to figure out if the person is compatible with the rest of the group

This depends heavily on personality and sociability, both of which can be heavily correlated with their social life, and more importantly the way by which they talk about them

Hell, seeing how someone responds to a question is oft more informative than their actual answer.

>both of which can be heavily correlated with their social life, and more importantly the way by which they talk about them
No it really isn't.

People who have awful personalities can have many friends/girlfriends, and people who have great personalities can be loners. Social "success" has very little to do with personality.

It has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to roleplay well, which should be the primary trait you're seeking in potential players.

Although I guess if you're playing with normalfags that "are such nerds omg" for playing D&D 5e on the weekends then how many friends they have and talking about how much alcohol they drank on Friday would be important.

>>People who have awful personalities can have many friends/girlfriends, and people who have great personalities can be loners. Social "success" has very little to do with personality.
[Citation needed]

>>It has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to roleplay well, which should be the primary trait you're seeking in potential players.
no
absolutely no
why would you ever think that, that's unfathomably stupid
You can teach someone to act and improv easily, you can't teach personalty without being a parent

>>Although I guess if you're playing with normalfags that "are such nerds omg" for playing D&D 5e on the weekends then how many friends they have and talking about how much alcohol they drank on Friday would be important.
Bitter asocial fag who's too dumb to fake it until he makes it detected

>[citation needed]
>no you're wrong
>ad hominem
Nice arguments.

You're the one who's trying to get some other person to change his method of doing things, and all you've presented so far is "you're a cunt, you don't know how this works"

To cut a long post short, you're stupid. You can have the last word now, and then you should stop posting, because your posts are devoid of thought beyond the facile.

>and all you've presented so far is "you're a cunt, you don't know how this works"
I called you a cunt, you provided reasoning for your beliefs, I provided reasoning for why I think those beliefs are wrong.

Then you said "lol no ur just jealous." There are no citations possible because "great personality" and "terrible personality" are not quantifiable. Also yes, roleplaying ability is the most important, because you're sitting around a table to play a roleplaying game; not to shoot the shit over some beers.

TL;DR: You're a stupid cunt, like I said originally.

I love Veeky Forums so much it hurts.

This whole thread is bait, everyone is baiting one another.

Fuck this is some tasty popcorn.

>[Citation needed]
Nigger, are you serious? You actually believe that having lots of "friends" and romantic partners means that you have a good personality?

I'm friends with a guy that I know thinks of women as worse than animals, and values nothing from them except sex, but he's charming and he's decent looking so they don't care. He's an unrepentant sociopath, and that's true to some degree of all those "socially well adjusted" people you're bragging on, because if you can seriously act as self-interested and entitled as mainstream culture expects "popular people" to, then you're fucked in the head.

And I'm also friends with a guy who's a completely antisocial, no-friends-in-real-life, barely employed freeter, who has trouble talking even to his circle of internet friends, but he's also the nicest guy I know.

People like you and the OP are just toxic, hateful people, who want to pick on others, and you should seriously reevaluate your priorities in both gaming and life.

I dunno about Phoenix Wright. I mean, for the longest time I thought Maya was just a kid. It made the later Phoenix/Maya ship-teasing really weird.

that is disputable

>My racism is justified!
Gotta love white people.

You don't spend hours crafting a whole alternate personality and world to watch Fast and Furious 7: Fast Harder

Not him, but:
Wow, color me fucking surprised. Amoral people with a good self-esteem have it easier in a society based on opportunism than "le nice antisocial guy meme".
Then again, the point is about playing with people that don't piss you off, that's why the "standard tip" everyone in Veeky Forums will give you is to play with your friends, as in people that you know and that you can handle without losing your patience (which is not my virtue).
I'm sorry if I dislike having unhygienic, obnoxious or cringy people at my table, user, I must be a nasty, NAASTY person.

I wonder when precisely did Veeky Forums go from being the internet refuge for nerds to defending and elevating jocks and dudebros as pillars of humanity? Are /pol/ and Veeky Forums memes or fault? Or it's just a contrarian backlash against perceived "oldfag" culture?

>your memes are very interesting to me

>Spends hours
You're shit tier GM then.

Weak or not, it looks like it worked. At least he didn't ruin a thread that had anything worthwhile in it.

After hackers on steroids got normies coming her to be edgy.

>I'm sorry if I dislike having unhygienic, obnoxious or cringy people at my table, user, I must be a nasty, NAASTY person.
>every person with few friends is unhygienic, obnoxious, or cringy without exception
Just like how every black is a criminal, every asian is a doctor, and every mexican is an illegal landscaper, right?

>Hah! You doubt how is that a person that defines itself as "nice" hasn't got many friends! How dare you to doubt! You must be a racist!

How retarded can you possibly be? Think for a second. If somebody has no friends, there has to be a reason. And I don't care how fucked up his life is, thank you. When I'm at the table, I don't want useless drama.

>that greentext
didn't even read your actual post. you clearly are incapable of understanding what was implied.

If I were to extend that logic though, the kind of person who'd make a dumb post like yours has to be a huge shitlord. I'd definitely rather game with an awkward cringer. He might end up That Guy, but it's an unquantified possibility. You on the other hand almost certainly would be That Guy.

Oh he understands. It's just easier for him to strawman and validate his own horseshit.

Yeah, except that racism is baseless, while my reason might be incorrect in some cases, right, but is logically sound if you want to avoid them at all costs. I also play with my sister and with my girlfriend. Don't want them to interact with some greasy neckbeard, thank you very much.
Then again, I take the occasion to answer to >48542669. The standard Veeky Forums user nerd crying "woe is me, everyone hates me for no reason, I'm going to post misogynistic content on /r9k/ while talking about how much I want to murder normies" is annoying and cringy. Call them normalfags, call me a normalfag, but I prefer to have socially able people at my table.

>Using "shitlord" as an insult.
I hate how much this board is filled up with /pol/ shitters, but I have to say it.
H-Here it comes...
Go back to Tumblr, thank you very much.

Nah, just kidding. I'm more interested in knowing why my desire to avoid cringy people would make me a bad roleplayer.

Holy shit, does no one realize that is made this way to make sure they attract people they'll gel with? It's the same reason people often recommend "play with your friends." It's a social event, if two people hate each other that's more likely than not gonna drag the game down, even if it's only through a slightly awkward tinge to the atmosphere rather than outright drama. This isn't fucking Halo.

Yeah man, but doing that will only attract disgusting normies, RREEEEEE [meme frog picture], do you want to play with normies, do you, huh? You fucking normie, I bet you kiss girls, or boys, or whatever your preference in gender is. Ew.

I like that "do they have other friends or a significant other" was interpreted by as 'YOU MUST HAVE HAD X SEXUAL PARTNERS AND Y AMOUNT OF FACEBOOK FRIENDS" to be in MY games." and the entire thing just went to shit from there.

Knowing if somebody has other friends isn't to rate them on some kind of social success scale, but probably a way of gauging if they're socially comfortable to be in a room of other people, face to face, and have the spotlight on them for minutes at a time multiple times a month without breaking into a cold sweat at the thought.

Friendship:
>>can other people stand being around this person
>>can this person stand being around other people
>>can this person remain reachable often enough to maintain friendships
All valid things for real-life table top groups that meet in person

There's a lot of absolutes being thrown around in here, and it's really silly.

Hate to hear your first time was so shit OP.
I rolled into a D&D Adventurers League having only stepped into a games store like twice in my life and met some pretty great people and have been playing with them for years now.

I've met more shitty people playing games outside of games stores than in them.

It's usually best to see if your local games store will allow you to run the game there. You have a general etiquette you should follow when playing at a game store, you don't have to bring an almost total stranger into your house when bringing on a new member, and due to the first reason of general etiquette when playing in a store, fights that almost get physical don't break out because of stupid rule discrepancies.

>all this obvious bait
>all the biting
I want redditumblr9k to leave, etc. etc.