/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

> Previous Thread:

>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH

mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/[WtF]The_Pack.PDF

mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_&_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
theonyxpath.com/v20-summer-bundle/

theonyxpath.com/now-available-curse-of-the-blue-nile-and-v20w20-starter-bundles/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-bit-o-beckett-a-gram-of-gen-con-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
What do you even do in Scion anyway? All i know is that the PCs are demi-gods.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47565839/#47571978
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47565839/#47572307
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47565839/#47578204
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47578117/#47579868
youtube.com/watch?v=4a24m9Z6LeY
youtube.com/watch?v=-T2luwLcfeg
youtube.com/watch?v=wXe-5mUeLC8
sendspace.com/file/onk5cp
theonyxpath.com/buttons-and-bows-monday-meeting-notes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Spirit of Cannibal Penguins

Viable antagonist?

In 1e of Scion, you fought Titans and Titanspawn, which were like evil Scion. I assume that 2e will have a similar central conflict, but probably in a slightly different form.

A question: when the Kickstarter drops, would that be the right opportunity to start a Scion general? I wouldn't mind making one.

>not a protagonist
What's the point?

I hate that cunt

Scion is ostensibly about fighting the Titans and becoming a God yourself, but 2e is apparently opening that all up a bit more.

This threads was almost so spooky I didn't wan't to post in it.

mfw

bump

I understand that Gangrel gain animal features over the years (or is it when they use one of their disciplines?).
Is there any unique way to go about this without just going wolf like?

The new Mage 2e errata leaves spells like Space 1's The Outward and Inward Eye ambiguous in a critically important fashion, Time 2's Veil of Moments system-breaking by RAW, and Time 4's Prophecy completely Social maneuvering-destroying, but let us focus on something even more egregious that was completely untouched by errata: Fate boons being able to grant Steadfast.

How did this receive no errata at all? Let us see what is still possible with a middling Fate-user with Gnosis 2, Fate 2, an Order Rote Skill at 4 dots, and a Rote for Exceptional Luck. Since the Informed Condition is sketchy on its RAW validity, we will be eschewing its usage here.

For context, according to DaveB, if you are casting magic under time constraints and/or pressure and fail, you take a cumulative -1 penalty on subsequent attempts. If you are under neither time constraints nor pressure, you must use the "down and dirty spellcasting" rules, which prevents you from using Yantra bonuses or spell factors:
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47565839/#47571978
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47565839/#47578204

Additionally, Fate 2's Exceptional Luck costs Mana in order for it to grant a bonus beyond +5:
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47578117/#47579868

Neither was included in the errata, but neither was denied by the errata either, so let us assume DaveB's rulings above still apply.

None of the following were changed by the errata either:
• Page 111 of Mage 2e says, "The penalties to spellcasting can exceed the normal –5 penalty cap to dice pools. In cases where the penalty would reduce the dice pool beyond 0 — and thereby a chance die — by an additional –5 even after including bonuses from Yantras, the spell is too complex for the mage to cast and it automatically fails." This should not be an issue if the final pool is -5.

• The rule concerning spell stacking in page 118 concerns "multiple spells [affecting] the same aspect of the character," which does not prevent a single spell from buffing the dice pool for the same spell about to be recast.
• Page 119 tells us that "a mage can draw upon one Yantra as a reflexive action when casting a spell."
• According to page 134, a single hex/boon can have its Potency split up to cover multiple effects. However, this is still a single hex, just like the example with "a Potency 4 hex allows the mage to levy a penalty on the subject's next two actions, as well as apply the Blinded and Leg Wrack Tilts" shows us. Likewise, "boons that affect the same skill do not combine their effects (only the highest bonus counts)," but this should not be a problem if we are relying on only one boon and are not actually trying to stack numerical bonuses together.
• Page 136 lets +2 Reach allow the entire boon from Fate 2's Exceptional Luck to affect spellcasting rolls, and another +2 Reach and 1 Mana can allow the spell to be cast as a reflexive action.

Let us examine four scenarios.

~~~

Scenario A: The mage is in a calm situation and would like to succeed at a mundane task—any mundane task at all, even something absurdly difficult such as succeeding on an unskilled roll with an additional -5 penalty for difficulty.

Step #1: Cast Exceptional Luck. One Reach for instant action casting, one Reach for Advanced Duration, one Reach for Advanced Potency. One leftover Reach. Mudra Yantra, but no bonus from it.
Dice pool: Gnosis 2 + Fate 2 = 4 dice, for an ~75.22% chance of regular success and a ~0.77% chance of exceptional success. If this roll fails, since this is a calm scene, the spell can simply be reattempted.
Result: Potency 2 Exceptional Luck lasting for an hour. Allocated to 9-again or chance-die-to-regular-die on the next dice roll and the Steadfast Condition.

Step #2: The mage now attempts the task with a 100% chance of earning at least one success. No matter how many penalties are levied against them, the boon will always convert a chance die to a regular die, and if that fails, Steadfast can trigger for an automatic success.

~

Scenario B: The mage is in a tense scenario and would like to cast an extremely powerful spell, not necessarily a Fate spell. They are completely out of time; they need to cast the spell this very instant, during their turn, perhaps because they are embroiled in combat.

Step #1: Cast Exceptional Luck. Two Reaches and 1 Mana for reflexive action casting, two Reaches to affect spellcasting. Mudra Yantra.
Dice pool: Gnosis 2 + Fate 2 + Mudra 5 = 9 dice, for a ~78.69% chance of regular success and a ~17.27% chance of exceptional success.
Result: Potency 2 Exceptional Luck lasting for a turn, affecting spellcasting. Allocated to 9-again or chance-die-to-regular-die on the next dice roll and the Steadfast Condition.

Step #2: Cast a spell as an instant action. The mage can take enough spell factor penalties to push themselves down to -5 and then automatically succeed thanks to their boon.

Cost of the above: 1 Mana, assuming no exceptional success occurs.

~

Scenario C: The mage is in a tense scenario and would like to cast an extremely powerful spell, not necessarily a Fate spell. However, they have two turns (six seconds) of prep time, possibly because they are not actually in combat.

Step #1: Cast Exceptional Luck. One Reach for instant action casting, one Reach for Advanced Duration, two Reaches to affect spellcasting. Mudra Yantra.
Dice pool: Gnosis 2 + Fate 2 + Mudra 5 = 9 dice, for a ~78.69% chance of regular success and a ~17.27% chance of exceptional success.
Result: Potency 2 Exceptional Luck lasting for an hour, affecting spellcasting. Allocated to 9-again or chance-die-to-regular-die on the next dice roll and the Steadfast Condition.

Step #2: Cast Exceptional Luck. One Reach for instant action casting, one Reach for Advanced Duration, two Reaches to affect spellcasting. Mudra Yantra. -10 spell factor to improve to Potency 7, -4 spell factor for three turn duration.
Dice pool: Gnosis 2 + Fate 2 + Mudra 5 - spell factors 14 = -5 dice, turned into an automatic success by the previous boon.
Result: Potency 7 Exceptional Luck lasting for three turns, affecting spellcasting. Allocated to 9-again or chance-die-to-regular-die on the next dice roll, the Steadfast Condition, and a +5 bonus to the mage's next five spellcasting rolls.

Step #3: Dismiss the first instance of Exceptional Luck.

Step #4: Cast a spell as an instant action. The mage can take enough spell factor penalties to push themselves down to -5 and then automatically succeed thanks to their boon, and the +5 bonus to spellcasting gives them even greater leeway.

Cost of the above: Two turns.

~

Scenario D: The mage is in a tense scenario and would like to inflict premeditated murder upon someone. They have no prep time at all; they are embroiled in combat and need to inflict murder right here, right now.

Step #1: Cast Exceptional Luck. Two Reaches and 1 Mana for reflexive action casting, one Reach for Advanced Duration, one Reach for Advanced Potency. Mudra Yantra.
Result: Potency 2 Exceptional Luck lasting for an hour. Allocated to 9-again or chance-die-to-regular-die on the next dice roll and the Steadfast Condition.

It can be any animal feature for a predatory animal. They have one to start out with, and gain one each time they frenzy depending on the rules (sometimes the frenzy ones are permanent, sometimes temporary,but you always have your one). There are things like permanent (but blunt and non-combat) claws, bat ears, bat nose, animal eyes...

Step #2: Cast Exceptional Luck. Two Reaches and 1 Mana for reflexive action casting, one Reach for Advanced Duration, one Reach for Advanced Potency. Mudra Yantra. -4 spell factor to improve to Potency 4.
Dice pool: Gnosis 2 + Fate 2 + Mudra 5 - spell factor 4 = 5 dice, for an ~81.17% chance of regular success and a ~2.02% chance of exceptional success
Result: Potency 4 Exceptional Luck lasting for an hour. Allocated to +4 bonus to next four [Athletics, Brawl, Firearms, or Weaponry] rolls.

Step #3: The mage commits premeditated murder and provokes an Act of Hubris.

Step #4: Even if the Storyteller levies penalties that reduce the mage's dice pool for degeneration down to -5, the first Exceptional Luck's boon transforms the roll into an automatic success, preventing Wisdom loss. As a cherry on top, "Any time your character risks Wisdom degeneration, she gains an Arcane Beat. Exploring the depths of hubris can be enlightening."

~~~

I do think that the above is enough to warrant the replacement of Steadfast in Fate boons with something more reasonable. After all, the above requires only Gnosis 2 and Fate 2, nothing more.

There's a whole bloodline of Gangrel who live in the ocean and adopt shark features as they age.

Nobody wants you here. Please post this on the official forums if you absolutely have to post it anywhere.

... Can they reach that far back in time to do something like that?
Because if so I would gladly go full on dinosaur-vampire.

Fuck off and die you absolute faggoty double nigger.

>Brandishes houserules.
Begone creature! Back to the foul pit from whence you came!

>full on dinosaur-vampire.
I love everything about this idea.
youtube.com/watch?v=4a24m9Z6LeY

I'll take someone who contributes over your whiny ass any day. You're the one who should leave.

Please leave.

I don't like that the ST I game with has given practically every vampire clan the option for sorcery. It takes away from the Tremere when any other clan can pop out a blood wizard.... Even if they are supposedly 'rare'.

House rules are one possible fix. Official errata would be even better, if the Mage development team is intent on repairing the game's flaw.

I should also add that Steadfast should not just change for Fate boons, but for all spells as well, since the creative thaumaturgy subsystem arguably allows for a two-dot Ruling spell to create Steadfast.

I was making a reference to Atlantis:TLA
youtube.com/watch?v=-T2luwLcfeg

While the concept might fit MtAw, I can see it being more of a Hunter game with some loose connections to Atlantis. Also Rourke would be a pretty good Gangrel

>"I consider myself an even-tempered man; it takes a hell of a lot to get under my skin. But congratulations—you just won the solid gold Kewpie doll!"

>contribution
How is rules autism contribution?

>Pointing out rules that can potentially be abused is bad
Are you retarded?

With a shit ST maybe.

>Expecting a game to be impossible to abuse.
>Implying anybody who pulls this kind of shit would even be able to stay in a game long enough to reach this Gnosis 2, Fate 2 requirement, without the other players kicking them out for all this autistic rules-lawyering long beforehand
>Implying it's an issue that a player can potentially make themselves auto-succeed on an attack spell by spending a mana and succeeding on a roll that they have no guarantee of success on as a reflexive action.

The abuse has been strongly curbed, with the Errata. At this point, he's basically just pointing out that the spell is capable of doing what its designed to do.

While before he pointed out cadaverous heaps of rules-bending and literally read stuff, here he doesn't do any of it. It's a rather straightforwardly used spell, just written out -very- meticulously and rigorously to illuminate his point.

I probably wouldn't mind if it wasn't for his obnoxious avatar-fagging.

Or an ST who doesn't know of this issue to begin with.

>Expecting a game to be impossible to abuse
Pointing out a game's problems isn't expecting it to be flawless, you fucking dumbass.

>Implying anybody who pulls this kind of shit would even be able to stay in a game long enough to reach this Gnosis 2, Fate 2 requirement, without the other players kicking them out for all this autistic rules-lawyering long beforehand
>Throwing people out for using a prewritten spell

>Implying it's an issue that a player can potentially make themselves auto-succeed on an attack spell by spending a mana and succeeding on a roll that they have no guarantee of success on as a reflexive action
Yes, it is an issue for a 2 dot spell, especially since something like this is only encountered in one Arcana.

This entire post is a pinnacle of developer dick sucking. You went from "games aren't flawless" to "not a problem at my table" and finally to "this isn't a problem at all". If you move the goalposts any further you'll make a full circle, and none of it even proves that what was said is somehow wrong.

>The abuse has been strongly curbed, with the Errata.
No it hasn't.

Not again

Regarding Forces ●●● "Gravitic Supremacy", what could be some sort of guideline regarding what "real-life" numbers that effect would boil down to? What's the potency to make an area with Jupiter's gravity, or something?

The -effect- balance-wise, as it is, is fine and dandy, but it only effects "actors" in the scene (modifying their effective attributes, Speed, and such) and isn't really conducive to interesting things that logically should be able to be done with it.

Conditions have been addressed already.
In brief, they fall in the same category as the p91 box on crossovers, in that it's up to the individual storytellers.
>We’re not prepared to publish a full breakdown of the different Chronicles of Darkness characters and how they appear to Mage Sight, for two reasons. First, it’s simply impractical and we have better uses for the page count. But second and more importantly, the kind of interpretation that such a discussion would entail is a perfect Mystery for a cabal of mages.
The same argument applies.

That said, Steadfast could do with some clarification as the first use is done after the roll and the second is done during. You can't autosucceed on a dramatic die. If your ST cares about the minutia of wording, applying a 9-again boon only TREATS the chance die as a regular die, but does not replace it with a regular die like Steadfast's second use does. The autosuccess use of Steadfast requires that it be a failed regular roll, not a failed dramatic die, treated as a single regular die.

The Fate-user is opting to activate this effect first:
>If used on a chance roll, the subject does not gain the 9-Again quality, but the chance die is treated as a single die instead of as a chance die.

The mage is then activating this if the die fails:
>When you’ve failed a roll, you may choose to resolve this Condition to instead treat the action as if you’d rolled a single success.

The third sentence of the Steadfast Condition's description is irrelevant, because the Fate boon had been used beforehand to treat the roll as a single regular die. Steadfast is brought in only afterwards.

>>Throwing people out for using a prewritten spell
>Not throwing people out for stopping the flow of the game to break out the books and their tablet so they can prove that the dev said that THIS IS CORRECT GUYS STOP TRYING TO STOP ME FROM HAVING FUN LET ME ABUSE THE RULES

>Yes, it is an issue for a 2 dot spell, especially since something like this is only encountered in one Arcana.
Fate isn't the only Arcana that can give conditions. It has the easier time with it, because that's literally its job, but you can give conditions with EVERY Arcana
Steadfast could be given with Mind just as easily, Life could give you bonuses/dice tricks to physical actions, Prime could probably give you bonuses/dice tricks to spells

>"not a problem at my table"
I never made this argument

>none of it even proves that what was said is somehow wrong.
His points aren't wrong, that's totally possible
But the example he's giving is unlikely to happen in a real game

He's basically saying "this extremely hypothetical situation which has never happened and might not ever happen is a problem that is actively ruining the game because i noticed that there is a potential for it to happen if the ST is a push-over"

It has. Before, he would have gone on for several more posts pointing out a ton of issues with other spells, but most of the abuse potential has been nipped out by Errata.
Even with just Exceptional Luck, the thing he was previously making the biggest deal about and constantly repeating, giving yourself increasingly huge bonuses, has been nipped by the hard cap of +5 from mudras.

Spellcasting is focused on intent. If the intent is to "change the area to Jupiter's gravity", then it's up to the group to figure out what exactly that will do.
If the intent is to drag everyone down to earth, then the spell gives you the mechanical implications.

Remember, physics is part of the Lie and Gravitic Supremacy is just an example of what Weaving Forces accomplishes. What you CAN do is spelled out under Weaving. If you want an itemized list of what you can do to carry with you into problems, you're making unnecessary work for yourself.

Spellcasting always starts with declaring intent. It literally spells out
>Don’t focus on how the magic will do what you want for now, just focus on what you want it to do.

>boon had been used beforehand to treat the roll as a single regular die
>treat
>not replace with
That's the whole argument. It's dumb and petty and only useful for shutting down rules lawyers at the table.
>You rolled the die and it was treated as a regular die, but it still WAS a dramatic die, so you should have popped Steadfast earlier. The Acamoth eats your dreams.

>I never made this argument
To expand on this, what I *was* saying is, the kind of rules-lawyering you have to do to realize this kind of shit is possible will get you kicked out of most groups, because it breaks the flow of the game and leads to arguments and basically ruins the fun
The kind of person who actually tries to do this kind of bullshit in a game is the kind of person who doesn't understand the golden rule of "above all, have fun", and thus the kind of person most people won't want to play with for very long after they try this shit

How many times am I going to have to tell you people to just talk about other things? You knew he was coming back because of the errata, and he's not going to leave. How do you people keep falling into this hole?

>You rolled the die and it was treated as a regular die, but it still WAS a dramatic die, so you should have popped Steadfast earlier
That's just your interpretation of the particular rule, another ST might think otherwise. If only there was some kind of way to make this issue immediately and unquestionably clear for everybody at the table...

It's not an issue for all STs. See the stance on conditions and crossovers.

So, let's talk GenCon. Whose going? What do you think's getting announced? Are you excited that the Hunter submissions you wrote will finally be judged next month?

>Steadfast could be given
That is why I point out in that Steadfast should not just change for Fate boons, but for spellcasting globally.

>It has. Before, he would have gone on for several more posts pointing out a ton of issues with other spells, but most of the abuse potential has been nipped out by Errata.
Space 1's The Outward and Inward Eye is still ambiguous in a critically important fashion, Time 2's Veil of Moments is system-breaking by raw, and Time 4's Prophecy completely destroys Social maneuvering.

>You rolled the die and it was treated as a regular die, but it still WAS a dramatic die
The chance die is being treated as a regular die. There is no evidence that supports "the chance die is treated as a single die instead of as a chance die" being selective in such a virtual replacement.

>trips
It is law

So, how would you guys react if a player brought a character to the table with a built-in personal Mystery that is linked directly to them?
My specific thought is something like Penny from The Magicians; a character who seemingly randomly teleports to other places, when in reality he's unwittingly casting spells to teleport himself to wherever he's thinking about at random points in time.(Obviously, he'd have to be a Mastigos with Space 3, at the least)

Will Secrets of the Covenants ever be released?

I'm really bummed that I can't make it out this year because a ton of cool stuff is going on; fingers crossed for next year. I think we're looking at a Dark Eras 2 and some more concrete Deviant news.

Scared shitless about my submission though.

>built-in personal Mystery

Isn't that what your Obsessions are supposed to be, a ready-made plot hook for your ST? I've got a Guardian obsessed with discovering her own past lives.

youtube.com/watch?v=wXe-5mUeLC8
I see most people interpreting it as just 'a specific Mystery you're obsessed with, not necessarily remotely connected to you at all'

Whats a good tetriary arcanum for an obrimos?

A bit off topic, but I am looking for a new book series to read, and these threads have inspired me to give The Dresden Files a shot, despite the fact that I am not a big fan of modern day setting in novels with supernatural aspects.

What I want to ask is - can I skip books 1 and 2?
Most reviews say that the series gets good at book 4, and book 2 is the low point and apparently the long plot arc of the series starts in book 3. I am just not sure that i can last through 2 mediocre books waiting for the writing to get better.

Any

There's no good way to answer that question more specifically without knowing more about your character/the game you're playing in

Fate 2, get Exceptional Luck.

I recommend you take your argument to the OP forums. It's more likely to be seen by Dave, and thus receive actual credence/lead to further errata or fixing.

What even is the point of you repeating this ad nauseum?
>I do think that the above is enough to warrant the replacement of Steadfast in Fate boons with something more reasonable
The difference is that no one else does.

It doesn't even require houserules. This is a situation that only comes up if you force it to come up.

Saying something he's said before and that no one really agrees with him on is not really contributing. There are far more ridiculous--and equally kick-worthy--shenanigans you can get up with without even using Fate. I'm sure he's willing to tell us some that he's noticed, or at least thinks exist.
I'm also pretty sure that this doesn't work the way that he thinks it does, which I'm pretty sure someone pointed out to him on the forums, but he ignored.

It's not really that ambiguous, you just treat it as if it were because you like to weasel and cheat. You're a rules lawyer, so anything that isn't written in legalese you treat as ambiguous. You feel that all conversation should be treated as if no one is going to cooperate with what's stated. You basically ignore the Gricean Maxims and think everything should be written for robots.
And, ironically, you feel that way precisely because you will bend the rules over backwards if you have any opportunity. If there's the slightest implication that you *can* do something, you will. You can't play a game normally, you have to break it.

This is basically the core of it. Whether it's in the rules or not, it's the kind of thing that requires a complicated multistep process that quite a few GMs are going to disallow, for the same reason they'd disallow breaking the economy of D&D with magic item creation instead of actually playing the game.

If you activate one of the effects, the Condition is resolved and goes away. This isn't Magic. There is no triggered ability placed on the stack. That does not work the way that you are implying it does, there is no reason to assume that it would, there is no indication that it would. You are arguing for the sake of argument, and in all likelihood you either know that you are not arguing in good faith or are simply incredibly misinformed about how this game works.

>I'm really bummed that I can't make it out this year
I could have gone, but I wasn't willing to GM six Pathfinder modules at last minute for the first time in over a year.

Read the comic for Storm Front and Fool Moon instead of the books. Then again, I'm the kind of person who hates missing out on story, so that's just me. You could skip it no problem.

>No one agrees that this is a problem (except for the people that do) so that means the problem doesn't exist!
Okay.

>Spellcasting is focused on intent. If the intent is to "change the area to Jupiter's gravity", then it's up to the group to figure out what exactly that will do.
>If the intent is to drag everyone down to earth, then the spell gives you the mechanical implications.
>Don’t focus on how the magic will do what you want for now, just focus on what you want it to do.

So what, if I intend to make an area of higher gravity and I don't make the imago in terms of how I want to affect people, but in terms of what celestial object's gravity I want to emulate, I only need 1 success to create it? What if I wanted a zone of Sirius gravity instead?

I am not asking what that will -do-, I am asking how to -get- there.

The people who agree that it's a problem mostly seem to be doing so because people are telling Touhou to get out, and they want to be contrarian. I honestly doubt most of them could actually explain what the problem is, to be honest, and if they tried it in a game they'd likely tell the ST something totally works that clearly doesn't.

Which is, of course, why it's not a problem.

>Okay, I admit that there are people who agree that it's a problem, but they're just contrarian!
Keep moving those goalposts my man.

>If you activate one of the effects
The spell stays.

The spell vanishes only when the codition resolves.

I want to fuck a cute Gangrel. Any tips? How do you approach one without startling her or causing her to attack?

Present yourself as prey.

Gehenna when??

Do cute Gangrel girls prefer outdoorsy types as prey, or hapless city slickers out of their element?

People who use the phrase "moving the goalposts" are often idiots who force people to use small words because they can't understand figurative language.
Do you really think that when someone says "no one cares" that they literally believe no one in the entire world cares? I'm aware there are people who agree that it's a problem. I just don't give a flying fuck because most of them seem to know nothing beyond "it's a problem!" and can't actually explain *WHY* its a problem.

This isn't Magic. You don't activate an ability, put it on the stack, and wait for it to resolve. At best there are reflexive actions that let you interrupt another action. When you "pop" the Condition, that's it, it goes away. You don't get to use Steadfast to treat a chance die as a regular die and then gain a single success on that die.
For fucks sake it literally says INSTEAD. As in, if this condition is met, you do this, not that. If it is a chance die, you literally cannot use the ability to give yourself an instant success. It does not work that way, period.

Which is, again, why I don't care about people who agree with Touhou. None of them even understand what he's trying to argue, and what he's trying to argue isn't even right.

Snake ghouls: yea or nay?

nay

How do I horse pussy in CofD?

Purified

>There are people who agree that it's a problem, but I just don't care!
It was explained why it's a problem: it's too strong for its level. The spells allows you to boost all of your other magic to otherwise impractical levels and succeed without even having to roll dice. And that's with a 2 dot spell that doesn't have anything comparable to it in any other Arcana. But it wasn't explained why that's not a problem, though. Ignoring it is neither a solution nor an explanation, by the way.

Anyone have the V20 Ready Made Characters?

Could i use a knowing forces spell to get exactly how long a fire has before it burns out?

yes

It literally does not work the way that he thinks it does.

Knowing Matter, too

sendspace.com/file/onk5cp

Ive seen a few trailers for stranger things,is it as WoD as it looks?

>which were like evil Scion.
what? I remember the antagonist section being full of weird monsters. Dragons and megaladons and giants and even angels from this one guy.

New user here. I was going to jump in on this argument, but in a way, it is both too early and too late to discuss it.

A few threads ago I made a big deal of trying to get DaveB to answer if we could contribute to that discussion of "hacks" that we thought would make Mage 2e better. He heavily implied that it wouldn't make a difference.

So how about we wait and see what changes the final version makes, and if it doesn't fix the balance between Arcana, I will gladly brainstorm with you about what can be done about it?

Not so much.
It's very CofD though.

I'll be there if you can make it last. All my Scion threads have died.

Whoever publishes Vampire these days does not want or care about new players.

DnD has this down to a science: you've got a starter set, free basic rules, a very nice book for around 25-30 bucks on Amazon. Say what you will about 5e, but they have made it very accessible to anyone who wants to pick up that game can do so and get a lot of content for a decent price.

With VtM, they fucked it all up. Now, you have two Vampire the games (which, thankfully, they are trying to fix) so you'll have people buying VtR when they really want VtM and vice versa.

Then you have the fact that it is literally impossible to buy a new VtM game at a bookstore or gamestore. Hell, when I was starting out I had to make due with a used Revised rulebook. If you want the newest VtM rules in a book of similar quality to the 5e rulebooks you have to pay a hundred fucking dollars plus shipping *and* wait two weeks for them to print and ship it.

I actually really like the new anniversary editions of WoD, but they fucked up so bad by pulling the Kickstarter deluxe card paired with the print-on-demand option. I'm sure it does well for them as a business, but jesus christ I cannot think of a worse model for enticing new players.

>It literally does not work the way that he thinks it does.
In what way does it not work the way he thinks it does?

It's a 25 year old game primarily marketed as a nostalgia product. Very few people are getting into WoD; the anniversary edition stuff is aimed at longtime fans.

CofD is there for the new players and has simpler rules and no decades of metaplot to catch up to.

They literally renamed nWoD into CofD to avoid confusing new players, and they've got cheaper PDF versions, including the recently Humble Bundle.

I think they very much care about new players, it's just their working with some fairly hefty constraints. Please remember you're talking about a 25 year old game.

Shit, I think you're right. I might have just been thinking of one specific kind of Titanspawn.

I'll keep it in mind then. I should also probably get around to writing an FAQ for this general.

It helps to remember that there's two "owners" of the various properties. While Onyx Path only licenses the IP from Paradox, they might as well be the de facto owners of the CofD and Exalted properties. White Wolf AB doesn't really seem to care much about anything besides WoD on a business level.

Can a Nagaraja eat human flesh that has been cooked?

Did hurt locker ever get released?

It says raw flesh.
Cooked isn't raw. Well... Mostly.

According to last week's Monday Meeting Notes, it's in Art Direction.
theonyxpath.com/buttons-and-bows-monday-meeting-notes/

Primarily? Steadfast doesn't work the way he's arguing it does. There was also errata that says no to adding Mudra bonuses over 5, which prevents the thing he keeps harping on.
More than that, it works (insofar as it does) by having an incredibly in depth knowledge of the system and assuming the ST will roll with that "because the book says". Which is really just poor form to start from in any discussion of mechanics. It's not a thing you can just stumble into.

>This larger company with better resources is able to do things SO much better than this essentially indie company!
The reason you can't buy V20 in a store is because they literally cannot afford to do that.

Not yet. A lot of some seems to have slowed down before Gen Con; it's that way for most RPG companies.

>Steadfast doesn't work the way he's arguing it does.
You need to be a little more specific, because I'm not seeing it. How doesn't steadfast work the way he's arguing it does?

CofD also doesn't have the name recognition that WoD has, at least in terms of Vampire.

Also, you say:
>Very few people are getting into WoD

Might that be because it's literally impossible to buy an affordable copy of one of the rulebooks?

I don't buy the 'nostalgia product' bit either. DnD has been around for 42 years and, while it has a much bigger name attached than Vampire: The Masquerade, they take the steps I listed above to make sure they get new players coming in. There's no reason VtM can't do the same.

>They literally renamed nWoD into CofD to avoid confusing new players
I said as much in my post, though I suspect the name change was more due to pressure by WW.

>they've got cheaper PDF versions, including the recently Humble Bundle
PDF versions may be fine for role playing vets looking to try every system that comes out, or for quick little rulesets, but your average consumer who wants to play a tabletop RPG is going to want a physical book.

>Please remember you're talking about a 25 year old game.
You say that, and yet 3.5 is currently one of the most popular, best-selling systems in the world. Hell, the Tunnels and Trolls relaunch had better logistics than recent WoD.

>DnD has been around for 42 years and, while it has a much bigger name attached than Vampire: The Masquerade, they take the steps

I'm gonna call bullshit on this one. People aren't walking out and buying AD&D books off the shelves; they're buying 5th Edition. Each edition of D&D is practically a standalone game and has the same gulf of mechanical difference that WoD and CofD have if not greater.